ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly was said between Crean and Suhr on the postgame?**

Crean and Suhr on the postgame?**

Crean took exception to Suhr's assessment that ONLY Yogi came to play. Suhr said that no one else was showing effort.
Crean disagreed that others were working, citing only Johnson specifically.

He was obviously very peaved about the loss, plus Fisch and Suhr had kept him waiting ( 3 minutes by Crean's account) to do the post game interview.

Crean was waiting to be interviewed and heard Suhr comment about the team's effort. Crean just said he had been listening and disagreed with everything Suhr said. Crean went on to be short and very RMK-like to Don. I am hoping Crean will change his opinion when he watches the game. Yogi saw what was happening on the court. Yogi was angry and I would expect he let the team hear it after the game. I credit Yogi for trying to set an example of effort on the court.

"I don't know what a foul is or isn't any more"

Fisch said that about 10 times last night. I only had radio access last night so was it true'ish ?

CTC can get irritated and defensive all he wants regarding that, but anyone who has played any type of basketball knows that when you get beat by 15+ with some of the looks Purdue had at the basket in transition specifically in the 1st half, effort can definitely be called into question. The is no reason why guys shouldn't be in a full sprint to get back on transition especially considering our situation with zero interior presence with HMP out.

If they are worn, then that is on the coaching staff for wanting to push the pace. I can tell you that a team is not going to win a lot of games when they are outscored by 20 in pts in the paint after one half. Some of those looks Purdue could have been made a lot more difficult by simply getting a body in the way.

Typical B1G officiating, and I said the same thing

We would commit fouls that didn't affect play or were play on situations most of the time. There was a charge called on Yogi that during the drive a defender grabbed his left arm clearly before the charge. There were several cases of heavy contact on our player in the paint not being called, but small bumps getting called on the other end.

It is all typical of what you have come to expect on the road in the B1G. I don't think refs have an agenda to punish a certain team, but it seems that the home team's big players get away with more contact. Hopefully, everything is reversed next time we play PUke. Maybe the refs like hearing the crowd cheer and think it is directed at them.

If we had been the aggressive team we needed to be, we might have gotten more calls. Sounds strange, but if often helps to be the first to touch the ball or to force the other player into contact.

Re: "I don't know what a foul is or isn't any more"

It will never change, it's the same officiating that has happened for decades in B1G games. Put it in your scouting reports, adjust your play .... don't use it as an excuse. Value a road win and the ability to win against 7 on the road.

I disagree with "Pepper Pot" as well.

I saw Holt, Hartman, Hoetzel and Zeisloft giving it their all as well. I watched the post action on defense, and Holt/Hartman did their best trying to deny the ball. IMHO, I didn't notice the defensive intensity by the others (see the last 4.4 seconds of the first half).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT