ADVERTISEMENT

What did you all expect?

I think you’re very wrong.
For once in a few times, I'd agree with you. I think Dolson did his best, and probably better than he could have expected with Woodson, and two great contingency plans. People think Matta is like some grandpa, but no, he's like 5 years older than moi and just has health issues. No complaints there, and they did a good job with asst. coaches too, during a pandemic, when, most of these guys don't need the money or stress or dealing with it/coaching around it

There is just a real lack of B10 talent and Woodson already has some coming. I'm more in a wait and see mode. Where I think we'd disagree, is there is more recruiting to be done and some scholarship spots that should just transfer or take their place as practice sqaud or whatever (they can't lose their academic scholarship rights), but don't expect to play ... that just the way it is under new coaching and not playing in a system they were recruited for. IU isn't screwing them by any means, under any circumstances, if they are recruited over. Get better fast, or transfer, or just take the academic free ride if you don't feel like trying harder to play meaningfully.

Explain why he is wrong.
He is wrong because he is writing off a season after two losses. Two losses btw that anyone with a brain would have looked at and said they would be tough games to start the year.

It is beyond dumb to post shit like this after every loss and even every average performance.

Every team loses. Even the best team in the country losses 4-5 game typically. This is absolutely not a roster that was expected to go undefeated, make a deep run, or even win the Big. So why are we completely giving up on what we are doing after 2 losses? Calm down and lets see if Coach can get this team to improve. And bigger picture, lets see what his vision and teams look like from year to year before throwing in the town.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Two losses btw that anyone with a brain would have looked at and said they would be tough games to start the year.

Please, you speak as if that was the Syracuse team of 15 years ago. Colgate beat this ‘Cuse team in the Carrier Dome by 15. They’re a whopping 5-4 on the year. They’re bad and this Wisconsin team is bad. It’s going to be a dog fight for the team to get to 10 conference wins. We likely need 12 to make the NCAA.

Please, you speak as if that was the Syracuse team of 15 years ago. Colgate beat this ‘Cuse team in the Carrier Dome by 15. They’re a whopping 5-4 on the year. They’re bad and this Wisconsin team is bad. It’s going to be a dog fight for the team to get to 10 conference wins. We likely need 12 to make the NCAA.
I speak as if going to both Syracuse and Wisconsin are tough places to win on the road. In other words I speak the truth. I never once mentioned Syracuse of 15 years ago. They are a difficult road win now.

And I agree we probably need to get 12 conference wins and it will not be easy for this team. And yet I am still not calling for the Coach/AD to be fired.

For once in a few times, I'd agree with you. I think Dolson did his best, and probably better than he could have expected with Woodson, and two great contingency plans. People think Matta is like some grandpa, but no, he's like 5 years older than moi and just has health issues. No complaints there, and they did a good job with asst. coaches too, during a pandemic, when, most of these guys don't need the money or stress or dealing with it/coaching around it

There is just a real lack of B10 talent and Woodson already has some coming. I'm more in a wait and see mode. Where I think we'd disagree, is there is more recruiting to be done and some scholarship spots that should just transfer or take their place as practice sqaud or whatever (they can't lose their academic scholarship rights), but don't expect to play ... that just the way it is under new coaching and not playing in a system they were recruited for. IU isn't screwing them by any means, under any circumstances, if they are recruited over. Get better fast, or transfer, or just take the academic free ride if you don't feel like trying harder to play meaningfully.
Hard to say it seemed like money was no object and I honestly thought we would hir John Beilen. Sure he was older but so is woodson. Neither one is probably coaching more than five years before turning it over. The woodson hire to me seemed like one of two things when you consider he neve coached college at all.

1. IU saw what Juwuan Howard did and is trying to replecate it.
2. They wanted to IU an IU guy plain and simple. Once Stevens turned us down they were clearly going with an IU guy. Pretty sure if he had not gone to IU he would have never been looked at.

Those are the only reasons I can think of becasue to me it was head scratcher of a hire.

I speak as if going to both Syracuse and Wisconsin are tough places to win on the road. In other words I speak the truth. I never once mentioned Syracuse of 15 years ago. They are a difficult road win now.

And I agree we probably need to get 12 conference wins and it will not be easy for this team. And yet I am still not calling for the Coach/AD to be fired.

Syracuse is not a difficult place to win right now. That place was half full for our game. I bet they lose 5 or 6 times at home this year.

Reactions: IUgradman

As of right now I would say we are a 10 win conference team unless we get much tougher and fast. There is no doubt last night was a huge missed opportunity and now we have to make up for it somewhere else as we really have no wins on our resume. I cannot imagine missing the ncaa again for like the 6th year in a row given next year may be worse. I still sometimes think it is a dream how far the program has fallen.

He is wrong because he is writing off a season after two losses. Two losses btw that anyone with a brain would have looked at and said they would be tough games to start the year.

It is beyond dumb to post shit like this after every loss and even every average performance.

Every team loses. Even the best team in the country losses 4-5 game typically. This is absolutely not a roster that was expected to go undefeated, make a deep run, or even win the Big. So why are we completely giving up on what we are doing after 2 losses? Calm down and lets see if Coach can get this team to improve. And bigger picture, lets see what his vision and teams look like from year to year before throwing in the town.
I do not think anyone is writing off the season but those were two games we should have won and would have looked pretty decent on our resume. That is not a good Syracuse team and blowing a 22 point lead is never acceptable. But its Wisconsin and most of us knew a 22 point lead would not be safe vs them as they own us. I certainly expected us to lose but the way we did is what burns people.

They also speak as if this was the Indiana team of 30 years ago.

Other than you saying "this Wisconsin team is bad," you're spot on. This WISC team isn't bad.

I do not think anyone is writing off the season but those were two games we should have won and would have looked pretty decent on our resume. That is not a good Syracuse team and blowing a 22 point lead is never acceptable. But its Wisconsin and most of us knew a 22 point lead would not be safe vs them as they own us. I certainly expected us to lose but the way we did is what burns people.
Reread some of the threads after last nights game. Please include the first post In this thread and tel me how that isn’t not only writing off this basketball season but all athletics altogether. The over reaction is real and its stupid.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Reread some of the threads after last nights game. Please include the first post In this thread and tel me how that isn’t not only writing off this basketball season but all athletics altogether. The over reaction is real and its stupid.
Well I am not writing if off. I am not really that upset becasue I never expected us to win that game and have kind of become num to IU loses at this point after 20 years of this . I think people are just upset that we blew a 22 point lead. I did not see most of it as my kid had a game but is sounds like we simply played not to lose in the second half and not is not a formula for success. So I think people see a not metally tough team and are concerned.

The positive news that is that we don't have a game on our schedule that I would consider unwinnable until February 12. There were only a few games on our schedule that I thought were unwinnable and last night and at Cuse were 2 of them.

The positive news that is that we don't have a game on our schedule that I would consider unwinnable until February 12.
You misspelled January 20. PUR (even at home) is not winnable as our team is currently constructed. And I have a real hard time seeing us beat MICH three days later or ILL on February 5 (now that Kofi's back--we don't have an answer for him).

Well I am not writing if off. I am not really that upset becasue I never expected us to win that game and have kind of become num to IU loses at this point after 20 years of this . I think people are just upset that we blew a 22 point lead. I did not see most of it as my kid had a game but is sounds like we simply played not to lose in the second half and not is not a formula for success. So I think people see a not metally tough team and are concerned.
I agree with everything you said here. I just don’t like the world is ending overreacting.

I wouldn’t even fire a coach after a single season let alone a couple games.

This team has a ways to go to be a tournament team. I hope we can get there but we might not. We need another playmaker. TJD will be TJD. race, Stewart and Kopp will probably all be solid. Johnson looks like he will be a bit up and down. If we want a good year at least one more playmaker needs to emerge when the chips are down. I think it will be Bates but could be halfway through Big Ten or later before we start seeing it.

But even if we don’t make the tournament this year doesn’t mean we blow it up. Lets see what these guys can do.

What i see is fixable problems. In spurts of shooting or not making turnovers IU looks really good so not the end of the world. Our leader and point guard should never play like that and he did or miss 2 crucial free throws from an 80% shooter, but he owned it and literally cried in the locker room WTF do people want from mostly new players with a new coach?!? Woodson is our coach and although he didn't say "help is on the way" IE CMD, it is....

You're right that great teams lose but almost never after being up by so much in the first half. The collapse we saw last night was pathetic and showed deep issues. This is probably yet another IU team that doesn't make the dance.

I agree with everything you said here. I just don’t like the world is ending overreacting.

I wouldn’t even fire a coach after a single season let alone a couple games.

This team has a ways to go to be a tournament team. I hope we can get there but we might not. We need another playmaker. TJD will be TJD. race, Stewart and Kopp will probably all be solid. Johnson looks like he will be a bit up and down. If we want a good year at least one more playmaker needs to emerge when the chips are down. I think it will be Bates but could be halfway through Big Ten or later before we start seeing it.

But even if we don’t make the tournament this year doesn’t mean we blow it up. Lets see what these guys can do.
He is not going to get fired after one year even if he lost the rest of the games. Look at Archie many knew after the second year he was not the answer yet he got four years and some even wanted him to get a fifth year. But we have enough talent to make the NCAA and we have a pretty old team. I think all five starters are 22 years old.

If we miss the NCAA again it will really stink as next year unless we get some crazy good big guys in the spring I would say we have an even less chance of making the NCAA.

You misspelled January 20. PUR (even at home) is not winnable as our team is currently constructed. And I have a real hard time seeing us beat MICH three days later or ILL on February 5 (now that Kofi's back--we don't have an answer for him).
We always have a chance in a rocking Assembly Hall. Iowa was missing one of their best players I believe and almost won at Mackey. We're just as good and probably better than Iowa.

We always have a chance in a rocking Assembly Hall. Iowa was missing one of their best players I believe and almost won at Mackey. We're just as good and probably better than Iowa.
Fans only help win games if the players are good enough to execute for 40. We're not.

We haven't beaten them in six years. Fans were rocking when RMK came back for the PUR game in 2020. And we lost by 12. (And it wasn't that close.)

We're not beating them this time either. In either venue.

Reactions: bailey777
Yes we have a chance against Iowa for sure . I do not think we have any chance against Purdue in either location with how our team is built vs them. It just is what it is with the state of the two programs They are seasoned and play great team basketball. The game here may be a little closer here but at Purdue we likely get run out of the building.

Yes we have a chance against Iowa for sure . I do not think we have any chance against Purdue in either location with how our team is built vs them. It just is what it is with the state of the two programs They are seasoned and play great team basketball. The game here may be a little closer here but at Purdue we likely get run out of the building.
IOWA cannot play defense, so that gives us a shot. PUR can, although they’re not quite as stout as WISC.

Difference is PUR’s offense is #1 in KenPom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT