ADVERTISEMENT

What Date Will Tom Allen Be Fired?

12/31/9999

If we have an awful year, then I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the end of the season. Not sure the point of guessing though when it's not even a given to happen soon.

He’s not going anywhere until the buyout is zero.Woodson will be due for another raise soon.
Dolson can’t tie up any money on a silly football program.

That's a bit over the top. Allen got a raise, extension and large buyout when it looked like he was doing well. If we were completely ignoring the football program then that would never have happened.

Just because things aren't looking as rosy with Allen at the moment doesn't mean the administration is not putting forth effort.

If I understand it right he has two years left before the buyout becomes manageable. Low expectations this season. If this season is like last I think they've have to look at negotiating something.

That's a bit over the top. Allen got a raise, extension and large buyout when it looked like he was doing well. If we were completely ignoring the football program then that would never have happened.

Just because things aren't looking as rosy with Allen at the moment doesn't mean the administration is not putting forth effort.
If he was paying close attention to the program he would never have given Allen the raise. If he was influenced by prominent donors to do so he should be pressuring them for the buyout. Otherwise he has cemented us as the worst program in D1 in my lifetime!

If he was paying close attention to the program he would never have given Allen the raise. If he was influenced by prominent donors to do so he should be pressuring them for the buyout. Otherwise he has cemented us as the worst program in D1 in my lifetime!

Saying he shouldn't have given allen the extension is just using 20/20 hindsight. He was coming off a couple of the best seasons in the last 30 years.

Anybody can *try*. That’s not what he’s being paid to do … hopefully.

There is no ability to guarantee success so yup, he is being paid to try. The implication was that IU doesn't care about football and I don't think that is accurate.

Saying he shouldn't have given allen the extension is just using 20/20 hindsight. He was coming off a couple of the best seasons in the last 30 years.
In my view, the issue is not with the extension. TA was a hot commodity after those two seasons and he would likely have been gone.

The issue is with how the deal was structured with the buyout.

Fred's original deal was innovative as any year TA got us to a bowl did not count against the contract, but the buyout on the redo Scott built was too much.

Reactions: boston jamie
It was premature given the unique circumstances of 2020, which we know were advantageous to us. We became giddy when we should’ve been a little more circumspect.

Last edited:
In my view, the issue is not with the extension. TA was a hot commodity after those two seasons and he would likely have been gone.

The issue is with how the deal was structured with the buyout.

Fred's original deal was innovative as any year TA got us to a bowl did not count against the contract, but the buyout on the redo Scott built was too much.

The only thing I can guess is they were more worried about another school poaching him over him stinking it up.

But yea, the buyout does look ridiculous at this point.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You know what? You’re right. This is IU. “Putting forth effort” IS enough, when it comes to football.

And what do you want instead? Them to hire Miss Cleo so they can make sure they make the right choices? lol

Every school puts forth effort. Are you just trying to be argumentative?

The only thing I can guess is they were more worried about another school poaching him over him stinking it up.

But yea, the buyout does look ridiculous at this point.
He was a hot commodity after two excellent campaigns (one despite the covid challenges all teams faced) and would have been gone. That drove the trolly apparently ding ding..

And here we are.

The date when his buyout drops to around $8 million, so early December 2024.

He was a hot commodity after two excellent campaigns (one despite the covid challenges all teams faced) and would have been gone. That drove the trolly apparently ding ding..

And here we are.
It is a shame coach Allen listened to Deboer about Sheridan; I just wish he would have told him about Hiller. Coach Allen needs to be right about his coordinators or this won't work, then we need a different HC. I hope this year is different and stop all the talk that he needs to leave.

And here we are.
I've heard that before. Who exactly was going to swoop in and and steal him away?

Last edited:
Reactions: jsenleo
I think anybody complaining about the contract would be the same people complaining when CTA took LEO to the SEC and won. Look, CTA can win when he as talented assistants and players. If he had left and succeeded elsewhere it would have been our curse of the billy goat along with Coach Hep's tragic passing. It would have reinforced the narrative that the university doesn't care at all about football.

With that being said, CTA would have been canned by at least 75% of power football programs last season. Simply put, we have been utterly inept. We failed to identify who should be on the field and how we should be playing philosophically to match. I believe that he will most likely be fired the week after the Purdue game, but I do genuinely hope I am wrong. He is actually a victim of his own success, tbh. He raised the bar to a level that we have VERY rarely achieved over the century-plus history of our program and is being punished for not doing it again.

I think anybody complaining about the contract would be the same people complaining when CTA took LEO to the SEC and won. Look, CTA can win when he as talented assistants and players. If he had left and succeeded elsewhere it would have been our curse of the billy goat along with Coach Hep's tragic passing. It would have reinforced the narrative that the university doesn't care at all about football.

With that being said, CTA would have been canned by at least 75% of power football programs last season. Simply put, we have been utterly inept. We failed to identify who should be on the field and how we should be playing philosophically to match. I believe that he will most likely be fired the week after the Purdue game, but I do genuinely hope I am wrong. He is actually a victim of his own success, tbh. He raised the bar to a level that we have VERY rarely achieved over the century-plus history of our program and is being punished for not doing it again.
I'd like to be punished at 10 mil. a year.

I’m not sure the Ole Miss stint in his tenure (as LB coach) is something that reflects very positively on Coach Allen, given the aftermath of Hugh Freeze’s time as coach.

No doubt CTA's teams have underperformed the past two years. Disappointing. Some of that falls directly on him. In my estimation the 2023 Hoosiers need to over perform beyond expectations. At least 5 wins a positive step forward. Hopefully at least 6 wins and a minor bowl. We need to build back positive momentum. We had and lost it very quickly. Otherwise, 4 wins or less CTA will be on a very hot seat.

I've heard that before. Who exactly was going to swoop in and and steal him away?

I can't remember if it was after 2019 or 2020, but living on the SE side of Bloomington, hearing a private jet outside is rare, and often had/has me hitting "Flightradar24" to see who/what is coming in.

There was quite a bit of traffic to and from Auburn, AL right after one of those seasons (when was Auburn looking)?

Reactions: DANC

I will agree, they seemed committed to making Indiana competitive and as mauch as it seems impossible now, after the 2020 season, CTA's agent definitely got calls from more esteemed programs than Indiana. So the mindset after 2020 was to retain Allen at all costs. That being said, Dolson deserves some flack for willingly overpaying and having no plan B in case results went sideways, and he's paying the price for it now.

Two conference wins in as many seasons and we're still over $20 milllion in the hole if Indiana wanted to buyout CTA. That's a poorly structured contract, IU is not the first program to slightly overpay for a HC, only for their team to regress the year after the HC is extended, making what looked like a slight overpayment turn into a downright terrible contract. See MSU with Mel Tucker or A&M with Jimbo Fisher. The difference is Indiana can't afford to make these kinds of contract mistakes. Unless Jay Wilkinson steps in, it looks like we've got Allen for at least two more seasons no matter the results. Effort or not (which we could debate whether their putting in enough effort for hours, but I won't go there rn) If that's the case the AD needs to be held accountable for a half decade of misery because he overpaid for a HC without a backup plan if it didn't work out.

I'm rooting for Allen to turn it around, I think he's a great ambassador for IU and a coach that really cares about his players as more than just objects to make his FB team better. It's just very rare, especially at schools with the financial disadvantage of Indiana for coaches to turn it around in year 7 after two straight seasons of really poor results.

Quit being obtuse. Two good years at IU under ANY conditions is just this side of amazing.
No one knows what school would have been interested. How could any one know.
I would bet one thing, if he would have put up another good year, there would have been plenty of suitors.

Reactions: DANC
I’m not sure the Ole Miss stint in his tenure (as LB coach) is something that reflects very positively on Coach Allen, given the aftermath of Hugh Freeze’s time as coach.
Coach Allen had nothing to do with Freeze's problems according to the reports from that time. It is comments like this post that has me ready to put you back on ignore, do better and stick with football comments about this team.

I'd say by Halloween the chorus will be singing.....
Who knows ?..Seems a bunch of alumni don't care about 3 or 4 win seasons..
As long as the tailgate spreads are good. And loaded with booze.
I've not heard one person who thinks Indiana. Is going to put a good product on the field this year..

( Hopefully right after the season)

I have definitely been a glass half empty curmudgeon for the last couple of seasons but I also recognize that the glass could be half full so let's see what happens.

I will say though that six wins would result in a coach's bonus and another year extension to this ridiculous contract and that does leave a bad taste in my mouth Mr athletic director.

Last edited:
He’s not going anywhere until the buyout is zero.Woodson will be due for another raise soon.
Dolson can’t tie up any money on a silly football program.

Does Woody’s raise come when he actually wins something of note?
Maybe a Big title or not flame out in the BTT? Who can forget the round of 32 exits? Pressure is on Grandpa this year. It needs to produce something.

Reactions: CC Mac
One does not really need to even know much about basketball to appreciate Woody's recruiting over the past two seasons and overall player development - specifically having two drafted players sign NBA contracts.

He’s in good company then because Hugh Freeze has in his coaching tree guys like Chris Kiffin (Lane’s brother) Dave Wommack, Phillip Montgomery. I mean, not everyone who was around Freeze is a bad guy.
He’s a damn good coach. Been hired by 2 schools since the sexual misconduct. The violations were for using a phone issued by the university.

One does not really need to even know much about basketball to appreciate Woody's recruiting over the past two seasons and overall player development - specifically having two drafted players sign NBA contracts.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is always about the team, not individual accolades.
Is Durr still residing in Xavier’s trunk?
If you have really good talent and you underachieve…that’s probably even more damning. Time to produce.

Reactions: CC Mac
Coach Allen had nothing to do with Freeze's problems according to the reports from that time. It is comments like this post that has me ready to put you back on ignore, do better and stick with football comments about this team.
Coach Allen was on the Ole Miss staff when many of the shenanigans went down there. I didn’t say he was cheating but are you saying he knew nothing, even though it was going on all around him? Please link the reports you’re referring to, though. I’d be interested to read them. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT