ADVERTISEMENT

What a terrible finish for USMNT......

Zizkov

Nov 25, 2002
Prague
it means nothing other then the fact that they can't seem to finish games.

Bradley was good and so was Altidore. They play another good team in the Swiss next.

Yeah, you really just sum it up with "Bendtner Hat Trick."

God awful performance defensively, and they struggled once again to string together passes.

Again, it's a meaningless friendly, and I'm glad they're challenging themselves as a team.

But yuck.

Part of it is a style issue, but part of it is that Sunderland sucked.

EPL teams want to play him more as a target forward. He's strong and carves out space well, so it makes sense.

Unfortunately, though, that's just not the way he plays. Others can talk tactics better than I can, but the better Altidore goals I've seen have been working in a bit more space and making runs, using his strength as a factor to get open. He's an advanced forward that plays well in a two striker set, and is significantly less effective when you're just punting the ball in his direction.

It's also a confidence thing. When he's scoring, he plays a lot harder and a lot smarter. His work rate suffers if he's gone a couple games without a goal. That's not a good asset to have in a striker, but he is what he is.

It's a question that no one has a great answer to, but you can sum up the general school of thought as:

1) Crappy service due to Sunderland having to stave off relegation by playing "bunker and punt" soccer
2) A general misunderstanding of the system that Altidore typically plays well in.

This post was edited on 3/25 5:53 PM by Oxford Collapse

I didn't like the wholesale substitutions, it definitiely screwed up

the defensive chemistry.

I wish the game had been played on a better pitch and in better weather because so much of that game seemed to be determined by those two factors, which makes it hard to gauge things. Yes I know important games can also be played in bad conditions, but still.

Sunderland was (is) a disaster from the front office down to the coaching

staff (Poyet fired already).

They may get relegated this year, and if they don't fix things, they'll be in the Championship for a while.

The best thing Jozy did was get the hell out of there.

I didn't like the entire defensive composition

Is CTC running the USMNT? Defense was atrocious. And did we have any possession in that game?

I didn't think the wholesale subbing was as bad as in previous friendlies (2 at half and 1 in the 60th), but I may have missed some late subs. I'm not sure that should have been a factor since the starters were often oblivious as well and was only reprieved because anyone not named Brendtner (something like that) couldn't finish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT