ADVERTISEMENT

weak big 10

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
everyone was projecting the big 10 to be down this year, really haven't seen many teams play, but looking at tonight's games, Iowa and Illinois are both just point or 2 dogs to duke and Texas on a neutral court. Purdue is top 5, Just saw Maryland was ranked 12th and undefeated, Rutgers just kicked our ass. have to assume Wisconsin will be Wisconsin. Nebraska just beat a Creighton team that I have saw play a couple of times and was really impressed with. Michigan and Mich st both have talent.

I think Lunardi had IU as a 3 or 4 seed being the highest rated team in his early bracketology. with what the big has done early in non-conference, hopefully he is way off. Going to be a grind this year protecting home court is an absolute must, road wins are going to be hard to come by.

3 weeks ago, who would have bet even money on the following:

1. Purdue would be top 5
2 UNC would be out of the top 25 (and only getting 1 measly AP vote)
3. Maryland would be ranked higher than IU (and Duke, UK, Gonzaga)
4. Michigan will need to turn it around to avoid being an NIT team
5. Nebraska would actually beat a top 10 team in December.....ANY team

Preseason polls are meaningless. And polls in early Dec aren't much better. Check back in after mid-January when the conference bloodletting is in full swing.

You are absolutely correct about one thing- If IU, or any other contender, has B1G title aspirations, they sure as hell better hold court at home. Road wins will be a huge premium...same as it ever was.

3 weeks ago, who would have bet even money on the following:

1. Purdue would be top 5
2 UNC would be out of the top 25 (and only getting 1 measly AP vote)
3. Maryland would be ranked higher than IU (and Duke, UK, Gonzaga)
4. Michigan will need to turn it around to avoid being an NIT team
5. Nebraska would actually beat a top 10 team in December.....ANY team

Preseason polls are meaningless. And polls in early Dec aren't much better. Check back in after mid-January when the conference bloodletting is in full swing.

You are absolutely correct about one thing- If IU, or any other contender, has B1G title aspirations, they sure as hell better hold court at home. Road wins will be a huge premium...same as it ever was.
Can't believe even Hubert gave them a vote after their past couple weeks.

If we lose to Kansas and Arizona, we'll need to temper our expectations for this, our most ballyhooed preseason in years. Just when we thought the stars and planets were in proper alignment, we discover astrology is but a myth, as accurate as the inebriated palm reader desperate to pay her year-end bills.

If we lose to Kansas and Arizona, we'll need to temper our expectations for this, our most ballyhooed preseason in years. Just when we thought the stars and planets were in proper alignment, we discover astrology is but a myth, as accurate as the inebriated palm reader desperate to pay her year-end bills.
Thank you Dr Robbins, VBG

Yeah, we have an interesting three game stretch coming up.

I’m not a huge fan of having the 2 conference games in December. The intangibles heavily favor IU in the game tomorrow. A much needed get well game and a W in Vegas seems reasonable. Man, though, if we don’t come out and assert ourselves early versus the Cornhusker’s I could see the tension rise a tad.

“The Fool is potentially everybody, but not everybody has the wisdom or the guts to play the fool. A lot of folks don't know what's in that bag they're carrying. And they're all too willing to trade it for cash. Inside the bag, the have every tool they need to facilitate their life's journey, but they won't even open it up and glance inside. Subconsciously, the goal of all of us out-of-control primates is essentially the same, but let me assure you of this: the only ones who'll ever reach that goal are the ones who have the courage to make fools of themselves along the way.” tom robbins

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Thank you Dr Robbins, VBG

Yeah, we have an interesting three game stretch coming up.

I’m not a huge fan of having the 2 conference games in December. The intangibles heavily favor IU in the game tomorrow. A much needed get well game and a W in Vegas seems reasonable. Man, though, if we don’t come out and assert ourselves early versus the Cornhusker’s I could see the tension rise a tad.

“The Fool is potentially everybody, but not everybody has the wisdom or the guts to play the fool. A lot of folks don't know what's in that bag they're carrying. And they're all too willing to trade it for cash. Inside the bag, the have every tool they need to facilitate their life's journey, but they won't even open it up and glance inside. Subconsciously, the goal of all of us out-of-control primates is essentially the same, but let me assure you of this: the only ones who'll ever reach that goal are the ones who have the courage to make fools of themselves along the way.” tom robbins
What's always a problem for IU against every opponent at home (regardless of how good we are) is the IU game is one of their games they circle. So we are always getting the other teams best so they can say they beat IU. Why do you think so many teams seem to be deadly from the arc every game against us. I believe its because they they are so dialed in because its IU in Assembly Hall...

everyone was projecting the big 10 to be down this year, really haven't seen many teams play, but looking at tonight's games, Iowa and Illinois are both just point or 2 dogs to duke and Texas on a neutral court. Purdue is top 5, Just saw Maryland was ranked 12th and undefeated, Rutgers just kicked our ass. have to assume Wisconsin will be Wisconsin. Nebraska just beat a Creighton team that I have saw play a couple of times and was really impressed with. Michigan and Mich st both have talent.

I think Lunardi had IU as a 3 or 4 seed being the highest rated team in his early bracketology. with what the big has done early in non-conference, hopefully he is way off. Going to be a grind this year protecting home court is an absolute must, road wins are going to be hard to come by.
Lunardi is a doosh. And I think this season for the B1G is no different than any other. A grinder. But I don’t see any team outside of maybe Purdue that can give teams major fits and that’s primarily because of Edey. Problem is pork chop shits the bed every march. So, I think we have a bunch of really good teams in the league but once again will not see one cutting down the nets. If there is a team that proves me wrong, I hope it’s IU.

Last edited:
What's always a problem for IU against every opponent at home (regardless of how good we are) is the IU game is one of their games they circle. So we are always getting the other teams best so they can say they beat IU. Why do you think so many teams seem to be deadly from the arc every game against us. I believe its because they they are so dialed in because its IU in Assembly Hall...
start beating team's ass on a regular basis the opposite is true, damn we got iu, similar to Rutgers and Wisconsin for us

Reactions: ulrey
I don't think teams "circle" the IU game any more than any other team in the B1G. What have we done the past 10 years to earn that "circle"? Lose a lot of games so teams circle us as a "We better not lose THIS one?".

I don't think teams "circle" the IU game any more than any other team in the B1G. What have we done the past 10 years to earn that "circle"? Lose a lot of games so teams circle us as a "We better not lose THIS one?".
I think the notoriety we still get aggravates other teams. All the TV coverage, press coverage, etc... They walk into AH and it's full or nearly so and the other team's been better than us and beaten us more head to head and yet it's still a game with national coverage when their other games, maybe with better opponents aren't, so teams then want to stick it to us. If you're a "have-not" it always feels good to stick it to the "haves" and I've seen that in any sports team or league I've ever been on.

I think the notoriety we still get aggravates other teams. All the TV coverage, press coverage, etc... They walk into AH and it's full or nearly so and the other team's been better than us and beaten us more head to head and yet it's still a game with national coverage when their other games, maybe with better opponents aren't, so teams then want to stick it to us. If you're a "have-not" it always feels good to stick it to the "haves" and I've seen that in any sports team or league I've ever been on.

I guess, maybe i dont see it since I don't care about the national coverage? My basketball media consumption is not very mainstream so perhaps that blinds me to that.

Maybe in the 1980s

IU games are generally bigger draws than others in part because IU fans travel better than others and the brand is still quite real.

TV numbers are also disproportionally high given the poor result of late.

Still the marquee program despite it all.

IU games are generally bigger draws than others in part because IU fans travel better than others and the brand is still quite real.

TV numbers are also disproportionally high given the poor result of late.

Still the marquee program despite it all.
I can’t speak to “brand,” at least outside of where I live (Chicago); that’s a very subjective term.

However, there has been ample evidence over the last several years that multiple Big Ten programs like Illinois and MSU travel just as well as Indiana.

Reactions: BleedinGold
I can’t speak to “brand,” at least outside of where I live (Chicago); that’s a very subjective term.

However, there has been ample evidence over the last several years that multiple Big Ten programs like Illinois and MSU travel just as well as Indiana.
Not something I have noticed, but outside of the BTT where this is not the case, I have little reference.

It’s 2022. Not the 80s.

Reactions: BleedinGold
I am saying, Race is no better today than he was 6 years ago.
I think we were banking (no pun tended) on an improved outside shot. No wait, that was Trace, or maybe Race, too. Bob Knight always said a player makes the most improvement between his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. There is not yet a large enough sample size to speculate between Senior and Super-senior seasons.

Reactions: Lucy01
I think we were banking (no pun tended) on an improved outside shot. No wait, that was Trace, or maybe Race, too. Bob Knight always said a player makes the most improvement between his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. There is not yet a large enough sample size to speculate between Senior and Super-senior seasons.
Race’s minutes need to go to IU future, not it’s past.

Reactions: abraxis
from top to bottom, the three best conferences appear to be the B10, B12 and the SEC. not sure in what order. time will tell.
but the B10 is not weak nor do I think it is a "down year" either.

Except perhaps for the ACC challenge… BiG BB appears to be exceeding expectations
Mike keeps bringing the Hoosiers along… undefeated at home may be good enough to win a BiG BB Championship.

Small teams play in small gyms in front of small crowds. They come to assembly hall they get a big time experience and see 5 Nat'l banners which they rarely ever see or get. Thats why they circle. Recent sh*tshow teams notwithstanding, its still a big deal for those to play at AH.

They also make a lot of money from these games do they not? I seem to recall that it's a big part of the revenue model for small school athletics programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT