ADVERTISEMENT

We need 2 QBs from the Portal.

Thanks to CTA's abysmal QB management.

Classes start Jan 9. Jan 15 is last day to enroll.

Can we get a starter and a spare in time for spring ball?
We absolutely need two portal quarterbacks. I know they’re trying but the good players have options.

It has been quiet. The only offer I have seen on Twitter is Chandler Rogers ULM QB. He seems to be headed to Cal though although nothing official. Next week we can bring in transfer portal visitors starting Wednesday so things should heat up.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Meanwhile Illinois gets a commitment from the Ole Miss 4 star QB.
Come on Tom,the clock is ticking.

Reactions: IUCX9
I hope with coach Bostadt on staff it encourges a dual QB to come to IU. We have very good RBs with a couple of solid WRs to throw to, so I expect we will see one commit soon enough for Spring Practice.
As the single biggest QB-affecting negative performance issue we have...an improved OL is one of the most important selling points at the moment.

So yes, Bostad should be in the room when the recruiting meets the road regardless of the QB's style of play.

We need a whole new offensive line and as many quarterbacks as we can get from the portal. Unfortunately it appears it won't matter much because we lack adequate coaches to coach them.
Thanks or the input. Re the OL, we would be interested in your assessment of Bostad that leads you to this rather strong statement.

As the single biggest QB-affecting negative performance issue we have...an improved OL is one of the most important selling points at the moment.

So yes, Bostad should be in the room when the recruiting meets the road regardless of the QB's style of play.
Until our staff gets results at IU, we will continue to attract lower tier portal talent. Allen's window to sell QBs disappeared when he didn't replace Hiller last year. Many of us said he gambled his future on the OL coach making improvement. He didn't and was a major reason for our lack of success. What is Allen's selling point? Come to IU where we go through QBs like shit through a goose?

Until our staff gets results at IU, we will continue to attract lower tier portal talent. Allen's window to sell QBs disappeared when he didn't replace Hiller last year. Many of us said he gambled his future on the OL coach making improvement. He didn't and was a major reason for our lack of success. What is Allen's selling point? Come to IU where we go through QBs like shit through a goose?
Unfortunately you are spot on. Pathetic that needing to use your new OL coach to recruit QBs is necessary.

Reactions: midwolfe
Yes, I think Dexter Williams will start. He’s pretty proven as far as IU football goes.

We also landed Broc Lowery, he’s a solid player who committed to IU.

I also think that Branden Sorsby has a solid chance to play.

Overall I think that if we don’t land a big QB, that the battle will mainly be between these 3.

Yes, I think Dexter Williams will start. He’s pretty proven as far as IU football goes.

We also landed Broc Lowery, he’s a solid player who committed to IU.

I also think that Branden Sorsby has a solid chance to play.

Overall I think that if we don’t land a big QB, that the battle will mainly be between these 3.
Williams probably won't be ready until 2024.

Reactions: calebburns
Thanks to CTA's abysmal QB management.

Classes start Jan 9. Jan 15 is last day to enroll.

Can we get a starter and a spare in time for spring ball?
broc lowry intrigues me. big strong kid, big arm, got some mobility, coming in mid year. you never know. may be just what the doctor ordered. but with our luck, this staff will probably bring in another bazelak.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman and DANC
Here is who is left in portal:

Which transfer quarterbacks are still available?​

• Brennan Armstrong (Virginia)
  • Austin Aune (North Texas)
  • Hank Bachmeier (Boise State)
  • Connor Bazelak (Indiana)
  • Davis Brin (Tulsa)
  • Zach Calzada (Auburn)
  • Sam Hartman (Wake Forest)
  • Malik Hornsby (Arkansas)
  • Grayson McCall (Coastal Carolina)
  • Tanner Mordecai (SMU)
  • Chance Nolan (Oregon State)
  • Chandler Rogers (UL Monroe)
  • Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma State)
  • Mike Wright (Vanderbilt)

Here is who is left in portal:

Which transfer quarterbacks are still available?​

• Brennan Armstrong (Virginia)
  • Austin Aune (North Texas)
  • Hank Bachmeier (Boise State)
  • Connor Bazelak (Indiana)
  • Davis Brin (Tulsa)
  • Zach Calzada (Auburn)
  • Sam Hartman (Wake Forest)
  • Malik Hornsby (Arkansas)
  • Grayson McCall (Coastal Carolina)
  • Tanner Mordecai (SMU)
  • Chance Nolan (Oregon State)
  • Chandler Rogers (UL Monroe)
  • Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma State)
  • Mike Wright (Vanderbilt)
I thought Hartman committed and Rogers, as well.

Hartman is heading to ND. Rogers, nothing official, but a supposed "Cal insider" on Twitter claims he will be committing to Cal. IU has offered maybe we can get him o. A visit.
I hope he changes his mind with a visit to IU.

I think it will be interesting to see how many more portal entrants return to IU.

With Josh and Noah returning, it looks like IU retooled the defensive backfield.
With those two returning, they won’t need to retool the defensive backfield.

I think it will be interesting to see how many more portal entrants return to IU.

With Josh and Noah returning, it looks like IU retooled the defensive backfield.
Bell better not run a fast offense every play as even NFL say teams can adjust to it. Run the offense like Bell did with Williams but more passing. Bell better hold on to the plays that worked so well with a dual QB, I loved the pulling OL men and how it changed the offense. The freshman QB is dual threat QB and maybe Sorsby can be a dual threat QB.

Our new OL coach will make our OL even better and open up more holes for RBs and QB. We will find out how good Bell can be, or he needs to be gone because last year his offense wasn't good enough.

Bell better not run a fast offense every play as even NFL say teams can adjust to it. Run the offense like Bell did with Williams but more passing. Bell better hold on to the plays that worked so well with a dual QB, I loved the pulling OL men and how it changed the offense. The freshman QB is dual threat QB and maybe Sorsby can be a dual threat QB.

Our new OL coach will make our OL even better and open up more holes for RBs and QB. We will find out how good Bell can be, or he needs to be gone because last year his offense wasn't good enough.
Those with high FB IQs probably adapt faster.

As Bazelak wasn’t a read option threat … it was nearly impossible to tell what ‘going fast’ accomplished.
Also, many edges proved they could track Bazelak down if he pulled it. I thought we needed to see more runs at a DL edge (as opposed to a LB edge) to make their option choices harder. More often than not the back went to the A or B gaps.

Running less than a minute of clock after catching a punt was something CTA should have addressed.

Last edited:
With additional limits on blocking below the waist … it seems that GT style scramble blocking (for triple option attacks) has been eliminated from the game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Everybody must be thinking this but nobody wants to say it out loud: a quarterback recruit considering Indiana is going to be concerned that he very well may be the starting quarterback and will likely be playing behind a line that in recent years has not been able to protect the QB. He may well finish the season injured, benched or looking for a new school.

One thing for sure is he is not going to lead Indiana to victory against Ohio State in the opening game. He will be playing against a seasoned team of professional players. That game' starter should probably be satisfied if he finishes the game in one piece.

I have to think that that's what his coaches are going to advise him. It would scare the hell out of me. It would make much more sense for that candidate to go to a division 2 school, have a successful season and put together a resume and enter the portal. Who knows, by then maybe the Hoosiers will have their act together. I think the new offensive line coach from Wisconsin will have to reestablish a reputation for the Hoosiers offensive line. And that certainly is not going to happen in the offseason and may not happen after a first season.

broc lowry intrigues me. big strong kid, big arm, got some mobility, coming in mid year. you never know. may be just what the doctor ordered. but with our luck, this staff will probably bring in another bazelak.
Or move him to linebacker

Reactions: kmathum
Those with high FB IQs probably adapt faster.

As Bazelak wasn’t a read option threat … it was nearly impossible to tell what going fast accomplished.
Also, many edges proved the could track Bazelak down if he pulled it. I thought we needed to see more runs at the a DL edge (as opposed to a LB edge) to make their option choices harder. More often than not the back went to the A or B gaps.

Running less than a minute of clock after catching a punt was something CTA should have addressed.
It’s not exactly like he’d never seen that before. Wilson’s offense did exactly the same thing. Truth is, Allen was brought in precisely because the DC before him couldn’t figure out what to do about it.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Everybody must be thinking this but nobody wants to say it out loud: a quarterback recruit considering Indiana is going to be concerned that he very well may be the starting quarterback and will likely be playing behind a line that in recent years has not been able to protect the QB. He may well finish the season injured, benched or looking for a new school.

One thing for sure is he is not going to lead Indiana to victory against Ohio State in the opening game. He will be playing against a seasoned team of professional players. That game' starter should probably be satisfied if he finishes the game in one piece.

I have to think that that's what his coaches are going to advise him. It would scare the hell out of me. It would make much more sense for that candidate to go to a division 2 school, have a successful season and put together a resume and enter the portal. Who knows, by then maybe the Hoosiers will have their act together. I think the new offensive line coach from Wisconsin will have to reestablish a reputation for the Hoosiers offensive line. And that certainly is not going to happen in the offseason and may not happen after a first season.
Yep. This has been discussed here and why Bostad plays an important role in current QB recruiting. Any QB with options will need to have some level of confidence in an improved OL

QB from Coastal Carolina has disengaged from the portal and is staying put.
...turn to the next page...
I'm still confident, because of the CB debacle, a poor selection will not be repeated by IUFB this go around. In musical chairs FB good players get left standing. QB's are vain. I believe those #'s increase every year of portal availability.

It looks like Chandler Rogers will be visiting per the other site.
The other schools mentioned with him were Cal and Baylor.

The headline from the other site you mentioned (a pay site) indicated we have put some $$ together to try to get him here. I don't know the details.

I read a story about him which indicated that. despite being very elusive, he was sacked 31 times last year. Basically that their OL was horrendous. And.....that their WR corps led the country in drops. In short, his experience has prepared him perfectly for IU.

Looking at the TP options........very, very slim at this point if Rogers is a no go. Is there some portal activity after spring practices? If so, that might be the last-ditch option. I don't see how we can go into next year with the RS freshman and true freshman as our only options.....that reminds me of the Rutgers situation the last 3-4 years.

Any word about where B. Allen is looking? I know he's not a dual threat, but beggars can't be choosers.

The other schools mentioned with him were Cal and Baylor.

The headline from the other site you mentioned (a pay site) indicated we have put some $$ together to try to get him here. I don't know the details.

I read a story about him which indicated that. despite being very elusive, he was sacked 31 times last year. Basically that their OL was horrendous. And.....that their WR corps led the country in drops. In short, his experience has prepared him perfectly for IU.

Looking at the TP options........very, very slim at this point if Rogers is a no go. Is there some portal activity after spring practices? If so, that might be the last-ditch option. I don't see how we can go into next year with the RS freshman and true freshman as our only options.....that reminds me of the Rutgers situation the last 3-4 years.

Any word about where B. Allen is looking? I know he's not a dual threat, but beggars can't be choosers.
We would take Allen in no time flat. Forget the dual QB talk. We need someone who can play. He’d be the starter the second he committed.

Reactions: CC Mac
Yes, there is a second transfer portal signing period during early May.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT