ADVERTISEMENT

We are Q

If you watched or saw clips of Trump's rally last night, you saw that the anger is not dissipating. Trump is so called president. Why are these people still so angry? And does he not see the harm in whipping up this crowd's mania? I've been to political rallies, on both sides, for years. And I've never seen ones that feel like they could turn violent at any time. And the other side is told to be civil? For politely asking someone to leave a restaurant or shouting questions to a senator that refuses to hold town halls?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-at-trumps-maga-tour/?utm_term=.4892c77ec0b2
Here's to more Pizza Gates.

the GOP and the Dems both totally abandoned the white working class in particular, and the whole working class in general as well, a long time ago.

that hasn't gone unnoticed by the working class in general, and the white working class in particular, since the white working class didn't have Dems supporting them on any other front either as did blacks, who still at least had Dems supporting them on race based issues, even if not on the job front.

the white working class have totally embraced an embarrassing politician who at least gives lip service to backing them, when the only other option to them was no one at all backing them even in the slightest, and everyone else on both sides actually even actively working against the working class's economic best interests.

the white working class have merely chosen embarrassingly poor representation over no representation at all, especially given the fact that everyone else on both sides not only wasn't representing them at all economically, but actually consistently working against them on the jobs and wages front.

the white working class in particular, and working class in general, seem more concerned about decades of negative economic progress than anything else right now.

who knew.

if you want to shut them up, give them another option who'll actually support their economic situation as Dems did back in the day, rather than actively work against it as they do now and have for some time.

If I were to try and identify a single cause for our current problems it would be a total lack of respect and a total contempt towards those with whom we disagree.
You confuse symptoms with causes. I would say that the most important cause of our current problems is the extent to which elites in both parties but principally the GOP have worked tirelessly to skew the balance of wealth and power towards a tiny, tiny minority. They have done this by destroying the bargaining power of unions, through free trade, through tax policy, through lax anti-trust enforcement etc. This has had the effect of making status much, much more salient for people. As a consequence people, being loss-averse, are much more concerned about ensuring that those who have ranked below them in the past remain in an inferior position. Add in changes in demographics, economics and culture and those whose status feels most threatened find it increasingly necessary to actively intervene in our political economy to disenfranchise those who have been gaining. One side lauds the disenfranchisement and abuse of the other--this is what they mean by MAGA. The other side calls the disenfranchisement and abuse for what it is...deplorable. Emotions are high on both sides: both abusers and the abused are very angry.

You confuse symptoms with causes. I would say that the most important cause of our current problems is the extent to which elites in both parties but principally the GOP have worked tirelessly to skew the balance of wealth and power towards a tiny, tiny minority. They have done this by destroying the bargaining power of unions, through free trade, through tax policy, through lax anti-trust enforcement etc. This has had the effect of making status much, much more salient for people. As a consequence people, being loss-averse, are much more concerned about ensuring that those who have ranked below them in the past remain in an inferior position. Add in changes in demographics, economics and culture and those whose status feels most threatened find it increasingly necessary to actively intervene in our political economy to disenfranchise those who have been gaining. One side lauds the disenfranchisement and abuse of the other--this is what they mean by MAGA. The other side calls the disenfranchisement and abuse for what it is...deplorable. Emotions are high on both sides: both abusers and the abused are very angry.

It can be stated even more simply than that. Republicans have destroyed the middle class with Reaganomics while simultaneously getting the middle class (or what’s left of it) to believe it was the fault of blacks, Mexicans, gays, and any other minority group you can think of.

Reactions: DrHoops
It can be stated even more simply than that. Republicans have destroyed the middle class with Reaganomics while simultaneously getting the middle class (or what’s left of it) to believe it was the fault of blacks, Mexicans, gays, and any other minority group you can think of.

the Pubs invented Reaganomics, then the Dems adopted it as well when they sold out to the investor class on everything economic.

Pubs got away with it because they still had single issue social voters with guns, patriotism, and religion.

Dems tried to get away with abandoning the working class as well, but minority support doesn't work near as well at the ballot box as guns, patriotism, and religion.

Last edited:
As a former conservative who attended a University in North Carolina I can attest to your experience. There is always the risk that the minority’s opinion can be viewed as threatening to the majority. In my case our faculty (regardless of dept) was steadfast in supporting free speech and thought. To be fair, I was witness to and participated in debates that became very heated. In every case our leadership insisted that we base our arguments on facts and data. This may have been the most important thing I learned in my 4.5 yrs there, that the only way to take emotion out of an argument is with facts and data.

To your second point, IMO, our current problem starts and ends with a lack of empathy. Again, this starts with leadership. Our leaders should not be using their position to sow division and to demonize the differences between the people they claim to lead. Lack of empathy in our current environment is a recipe for violence. If our leaders continue to peddle in false equivalency and conspiracy theories we risk an uncertain future.
Yes when presidents use the bully pulpit to attack citizens and create divides is wrong. Being criticized for making money, being told that elections have consequences, being told our values are wrong and self centered, being called racist for doing your job.... I can’t imagine a president standing up and doing that. Funny how that trail has already been blazed and the current admin is walking down it. Don’t get upset if he is merely improving the roadway already built.

Something about sleeping in the bed you made comes to mind.

What do you think about the war on poverty from Lyndon Johnson? Do you think it had any responsibility to the current state of the black family?

the GOP and the Dems both totally abandoned the white working class in particular, and the whole working class in general as well, a long time ago.

that hasn't gone unnoticed by the working class in general, and the white working class in particular, since the white working class didn't have Dems supporting them on any other front either as did blacks, who still at least had Dems supporting them on race based issues, even if not on the job front.

the white working class have totally embraced an embarrassing politician who at least gives lip service to backing them, when the only other option to them was no one at all backing them even in the slightest, and everyone else on both sides actually even actively working against the working class's economic best interests.

the white working class have merely chosen embarrassingly poor representation over no representation at all, especially given the fact that everyone else on both sides not only wasn't representing them at all economically, but actually consistently working against them on the jobs and wages front.

the white working class in particular, and working class in general, seem more concerned about decades of negative economic progress than anything else right now.

who knew.

if you want to shut them up, give them another option who'll actually support their economic situation as Dems did back in the day, rather than actively work against it as they do now and have for some time.

I know people knock you for your posting style but I think you consistently have a finger on what happened in the last election. You are an old breed Democrat who was getting run out of a party that became less interested in economics and more interested in pushing intersectional politics.

Most of the rest of this thread is just drivel. "We're the rational ones" cries the people who wore pussy hats after the election and were a-okay with comments about blowing up the White House (Madonna) and having an antisemite in charge of their march.

I also find it funny that people on the left always have some excuse for why their thugs are a little less bad then those other thugs. Racists are icky people, so if they get beaten up by totalitarian leaning leftists, woohoo, score one for the good guys. And if some non-fascisty people happen to get pummeled in the process? Collateral damage. Then they act all distraught that people who are ending up being the collateral damage in these fights between racists and antifascists start viewing the antifascists as bad guys too.

I will help. When the U.S. military is bombing legitimate targets in Iraq or Afghanistan and we accidentally hit a few women and children, do you think those families give a flying **** about intent? Do you think they are even more upset if it is not an accident and we simply start mislabeling every Muslim looking person as "terrorist" and attack them? That is Antifa, that is what they believe. Everything to the right of Hillary Clinton is a fascist. If you don't see why someone who would fall into that category (right of Hillary) would find them as bad, that is a you problem. They are not just hitting racists, they are beating on innocent people.

This was the rational left in 2016:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...ters-eggs-bottles-punches-after-rally-n585096

And after Trump won?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/trump-election-protests.html

Oh, and we had people pulled from cars and beaten, a developmentally disabled man kidnapped and tortured, and a Congressman shot.

Then on Inauguration Day:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-inauguration-protests-idUSKBN1540J7

So spare me the pearl clutching over Jim Acosta getting booed. And spare me that conservatives are more tribal. Everybody thinks that they are fighting on the good side. Even the Nazis feel they are the good guys in their minds. Newsflash: there are many of us who find the leftist radicals to be every bit as bad as Nazis and history bares out why. History is littered with the graves of people who got in the way of leftists. From the bolshevik revolution to the Cambodian killing fields and beyond, leftists are known to eliminate "undesirables" with a gusto that Hitler would have been proud of. In each case (Racists and Antifa), you have a bunch of people running around cocksure that they are on the right side of history and they are all willing to mow down anyone who disagrees.

Last edited:
I know people knock you for your posting style but I think you consistently have a finger on what happened in the last election. You are an old breed Democrat who was getting run out of a party that became less interested in economics and more interested in pushing intersectional politics.

Most of the rest of this thread is just drivel. "We're the rational ones" cries the people who wore pussy hats after the election and were a-okay with comments about blowing up the White House (Madonna) and having an antisemite in charge of their march.

I also find it funny that people on the left always have some excuse for why their thugs are a little less bad then those other thugs. Racists are icky people, so if they get beaten up by totalitarian leaning leftists, woohoo, score one for the good guys. And if some non-fascisty people happen to get pummeled in the process? Collateral damage. Then they act all distraught that people who are ending up being the collateral damage in these fights between racists and antifascists start viewing the antifascists as bad guys too.

I will help. When the U.S. military is bombing legitimate targets in Iraq or Afghanistan and we accidentally hit a few women and children, do you think those families give a flying **** about intent? Do you think they are even more upset if it is not an accident and we simply start mislabeling every Muslim looking person as "terrorist" and attack them? That is Antifa, that is what they believe. Everything to the right of Hillary Clinton is a fascist. If you don't see why someone who would fall into that category (right of Hillary) would find them as bad, that is a you problem. They are not just hitting racists, they are beating on innocent people.

This was the rational left in 2016:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...ters-eggs-bottles-punches-after-rally-n585096

And after Trump won?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/trump-election-protests.html

Oh, and we had people pulled from cars and beaten, a developmentally disabled man kidnapped and tortured, and a Congressman shot.

Then on Inauguration Day:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-inauguration-protests-idUSKBN1540J7

So spare me the pearl clutching over Jim Acosta getting booed. And spare me that conservatives are more tribal. Everybody thinks that they are fighting on the good side. Even the Nazis feel they are the good guys in their minds. Newsflash: there are many of us who find the leftist radicals to be every bit as bad as Nazis and history bares out why. History is littered with the graves of people who got in the way of leftists. From the bolshevik revolution to the Cambodian killing fields and beyond, leftists are known to eliminate "undesirables" with a gusto that Hitler would have been proud of. In each case (Racists and Antifa), you have a bunch of people running around cocksure that they are on the right side of history and they are all willing to mow down anyone who disagrees.
Wow....well said

In each case (Racists and Antifa), you have a bunch of people running around cocksure that they are on the right side of history and they are all willing to mow down anyone who disagrees.
I used to think that, outside the political extremes we could all agree that the Allies in WWII were on the right side of history...that the West was on the right side of history. I am shocked to find that what I thought were our core common American values are now so deeply in doubt.

Reactions: Zizkov
I used to think that, outside the political extremes we could all agree that the Allies in WWII were on the right side of history...that the West was on the right side of history. I am shocked to find that what I thought were our core common American values are now so deeply in doubt.

I love it when they equate “Antifa” with Nazi types. It’s the new Fox boogie man.

And apparently the allied powers were just as bad as the axis powers because they both shot and blew up other people.

Here is Crazy’s syllogism:

(1) Both bank robbers and the police use guns.

(2) Thereford, bank robbers and the police are morally equivalent.
This is silly, but for whatever reason some of us now insist on obviously false equivalence when it comes to white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

Reactions: RBB89

This is silly, but for whatever reason some of us now insist on obviously false equivalence when it comes to white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

In this scenario...... Antifa, antisemites, and Bolsheviks are the police?

I think a more apt analogy is :
  1. Both home invaders and homeowners defending their property use guns.
  2. Therefore home invaders and home defenders are morally equivalent.
That's why the right has consistently fought against stand-your-ground laws since it's just as bad to defend yourself against the burglar as it is to engage in armed robbery. Wait...

Reactions: iu_a_att
I think a more apt analogy is :
  1. Both home invaders and homeowners defending their property use guns.
  2. Therefore home invaders and home defenders are morally equivalent.
That's why the right has consistently fought against stand-your-ground laws since it's just as bad to defend yourself against the burglar as it is to engage in armed robbery. Wait...
That works. My point was simply that Crazy’s argument is an obvious fallacy, and I wonder what causes people to act out irrationally on this subject.

In this scenario...... Antifa, antisemites, and Bolsheviks are the police?
It’s not a scenario. It’s a fallacious form of argument that can be illustrated in many ways. I’d have thought this would have been obvious, but next time I’ll dumb it down a bit.

It’s not a scenario. It’s a fallacious form of argument that can be illustrated in many ways. I’d have thought this would have been obvious, but next time I’ll dumb it down a bit.
Here is a fallacious argument:

(1) When I was kidnapped by al Qaeda, they served me shitty humus.

(2) When I shopped at Kroger, they sold me shitty hummus.

(3) Therefore, al Qaeda and Kroger are morally equivalent.
Is it my point here that Bolsheviks are like al Qaeda, or is my point that Bolsheviks are like Kroger? Or does that question stupidly misunderstand the purpose of illustrating a logical fallacy?

Racists at Trump rallies? What Trump rally are you talking about? My assumption is you are labeling people who attend Trump rallies racists because they attended. If that is your contention then I stand by my previous post.

You truly don't know that avowed racists attended Trump rallies and even assaulted people? You've never heard of Indiana's most infamous White Supremacist (Matt Heimbach) who prior to this bit of incestuous debauchery attacked a black lady at a Trump rally in Louisville in 2016?

Just to show the assault in Louisville wasn't an isolated event...

"Matthew Heimbach, one of the more prominent figures in America's white nationalist movement, was arrested at an Indiana trailer park back in March for a violent outburst stemming from his involvement in what has to be among the most incestuous—not to mention confusing—love triangles of all time. According to police, the 27-year-old allegedly attacked his wife, Brooke Heimbach, and her stepfather, Matthew Parrott, after an amateur sleuthing operation in which the duo apparently caught Heimbach while he was busy rekindling an extramarital affair with Parrott's wife."

Obviously,some of Trump's "very fine people"...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...n-that-bizarre-love-triangle-is-going-to-jail

As to his relevance to "Trump rallies"...

https://www.wlky.com/article/video-goes-viral-of-trump-supporters-pushing-woman-out-of-rally/3593129

Heimbach is the guy in the MAGA hat that shoves the woman...

As a former conservative who attended a University in North Carolina I can attest to your experience. There is always the risk that the minority’s opinion can be viewed as threatening to the majority. In my case our faculty (regardless of dept) was steadfast in supporting free speech and thought. To be fair, I was witness to and participated in debates that became very heated. In every case our leadership insisted that we base our arguments on facts and data. This may have been the most important thing I learned in my 4.5 yrs there, that the only way to take emotion out of an argument is with facts and data.

To your second point, IMO, our current problem starts and ends with a lack of empathy. Again, this starts with leadership. Our leaders should not be using their position to sow division and to demonize the differences between the people they claim to lead. Lack of empathy in our current environment is a recipe for violence. If our leaders continue to peddle in false equivalency and conspiracy theories we risk an uncertain future.
Yes when presidents use the bully pulpit to attack citizens and create divides is wrong. Being criticized for making money, being told that elections have consequences, being told our values are wrong and self centered, being called racist for doing your job.... I can’t imagine a president standing up and doing that. Funny how that trail has already been blazed and the current admin is walking down it. Don’t get upset if he is merely improving the roadway already built.

Something about sleeping in the bed you made comes to mind.
No clue what you are talking about. At all. What President Obama did in your mind isn’t close to what he actually did or said. But whatever justifies your support of Trump...,

"Us"? WTF?

Speak for yourself.

You truly don't know that avowed racists attended Trump rallies and even assaulted people? You've never heard of Indiana's most infamous White Supremacist (Matt Heimbach) who prior to this bit of incestuous debauchery attacked a black lady at a Trump rally in Louisville in 2016?

Just to show the assault in Louisville wasn't an isolated event...

"Matthew Heimbach, one of the more prominent figures in America's white nationalist movement, was arrested at an Indiana trailer park back in March for a violent outburst stemming from his involvement in what has to be among the most incestuous—not to mention confusing—love triangles of all time. According to police, the 27-year-old allegedly attacked his wife, Brooke Heimbach, and her stepfather, Matthew Parrott, after an amateur sleuthing operation in which the duo apparently caught Heimbach while he was busy rekindling an extramarital affair with Parrott's wife."

Obviously,some of Trump's "very fine people"...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...n-that-bizarre-love-triangle-is-going-to-jail

As to his relevance to "Trump rallies"...

https://www.wlky.com/article/video-goes-viral-of-trump-supporters-pushing-woman-out-of-rally/3593129

Heimbach is the guy in the MAGA hat that shoves the woman...

He also listens to Johnny Cash and Metallica and that makes everyone who listens to them racists. He was a racist before Trump came along so my bet is most as in 99.99% of those attending the rallies are not racists.

I can say that in all likelihood 99.99% of Democrat rally attendees are not racist. But socialists? Ummmmm

No clue what you are talking about. At all. What President Obama did in your mind isn’t close to what he actually did or said. But whatever justifies your support of Trump...,
Funny thing is I’m not looking for justification.....you are

Why did you support Obama? He wasn’t even a US Citizen.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Why did you support Obama? He wasn’t even a US Citizen.
It’s the way the sun glistened off his ears as he passionately organized his community. Now, they can repay him with millions of dollars in more debt for his community organization commune being built at the expense of the very people he claims to be helping. Great guy

Reactions: Lucy01
Here is a fallacious argument:

(1) When I was kidnapped by al Qaeda, they served me shitty humus.

(2) When I shopped at Kroger, they sold me shitty hummus.

(3) Therefore, al Qaeda and Kroger are morally equivalent.
Is it my point here that Bolsheviks are like al Qaeda, or is my point that Bolsheviks are like Kroger? Or does that question stupidly misunderstand the purpose of illustrating a logical fallacy?

B.S.

I am saying that one group of thugs beats people because they are the wrong color. The other group of thugs beats people because they do not think the right way. Ergo both sets of thugs suck and are evil people.

Rockfish says that his group of thugs are not bad because they beat up people who are racists...oh, and people like Ben Shapiro, or women at a Trump political event, and just about everyone else who is to the right of Hillary Clinton. Because they get to decide who is a fascist don't ya know. But Rockfish is to the left of Hillary, so if a couple of Aloha's, CO's, and IUCrazy's catch a fist to the face...enh, collateral damage. Sucks to be them because Antifa says they are only out to bash a fash and we should always take masked street thugs at their word.

Your analogy is off. This is not a battle between cops and robbers. It is a battle between rival gangs. You have picked out some reason that the Crips are a little bit better than the Bloods in your mind so that makes the Crips a-okay. And you guys have the balls to talk about Conservative tribalism...:rolleyes:

B.S.

I am saying that one group of thugs beats people because they are the wrong color. The other group of thugs beats people because they do not think the right way. Ergo both sets of thugs suck and are evil people.

Rockfish says that his group of thugs are not bad because they beat up people who are racists...oh, and people like Ben Shapiro, or women at a Trump political event, and just about everyone else who is to the right of Hillary Clinton. Because they get to decide who is a fascist don't ya know. But Rockfish is to the left of Hillary, so if a couple of Aloha's, CO's, and IUCrazy's catch a fist to the face...enh, collateral damage. Sucks to be them because Antifa says they are only out to bash a fash and we should always take masked street thugs at their word.

Your analogy is off. This is not a battle between cops and robbers. It is a battle between rival gangs. You have picked out some reason that the Crips are a little bit better than the Bloods in your mind so that makes the Crips a-okay. And you guys have the balls to talk about Conservative tribalism...:rolleyes:
You're not good at this.

Reactions: Zizkov
B.S.

Why don't you further explore the concept that one side thinks "the wrong way" and maybe you'll figure it out.

Reading comprehension failed you on that one.

Where did I say "one side thinks wrong"? Start there and maybe you will figure it out.
You didn't say that one side thinks wrong...Goat is recommending that you explore the idea that the two sides are not symmetric versions of each other. But you resist that asymmetry by falsely reducing those opposed to Nazis into what you think of as their left wing equivalent--totalitarian Stalinists. By misrepresenting the goals of the anti-Nazis you avoid having to confront the potential justness of their cause.

If you arrived from outerspace during WWII to observe a battle between German and Allied forces you might observe little difference in the tactics and behavior of each side during the battle. You would observe wanton destruction and massive loss of life. On the basis of observing some microcosm of the tactics used in a particular battle you might describe both sides as something considerably worse in terms of murderousness and violence than Crips and Bloods. If you were to interrogate people from each side you would find they offer moral justifications on behalf of the cause being pursued. You would find them able to point to gross injustices committed by the other side. Still, were you to reach the conclusion that both sides were mirror images of each other you would make a profound mistake. You could only reach such a conclusion by ignoring the vast differences in terms of behavior and ideology between the two sides.

Crazy and those liking his posts are all
White males who are aggrieved. They have been made to feel that they are under attack from all sides. Their whiteness. Their maleness. Their religion. Everything. This is what Fox, Rush and Trump have told them. Over and over.

This aggrieved sentiment shows every time we have an incident like this. Apropos of nothing, they latch on and make tortured equivalencies.

Antifa =/= WW2 allies

Also, the world is not so black and white. The Soviets were "allies" too. Many forget that they were more than content to carve up Poland with Hitler. Stalin was a dirtbag, but his willingness to use his people in a war of attrition with Hitler allowed us the time to build up and help overwhelm the Nazis. But the Communists, also "Antifa" mind you, were no better to live under than the Germans for many.

Crazy and those liking his posts are all
White males who are aggrieved. They have been made to feel that they are under attack from all sides. Their whiteness. Their maleness. Their religion. Everything. This is what Fox, Rush and Trump have told them. Over and over.

This aggrieved sentiment shows every time we have an incident like this. Apropos of nothing, they latch on and make tortured equivalencies.

Oh **** off. I love all you arm chair psychologists. I am not aggrieved, life is peachy where I sit. Good job, good family, etc. I am a white male. The world is my oyster right? And it is funny how we are the aggrieved when you guys are the ones running around with your panties in a twist wanting to change everything. Modern progressivism is built on intersectional grievance mongering.

No, what IUCrazy is, is a person who is no longer willing to put up with your bullshit construction of society where you get to decide levels of right and wrong so that they always benefit you.

Reactions: 76-1
If you arrived from outerspace during WWII to observe a battle between German and Allied forces you might observe little difference in the tactics and behavior of each side during the battle. You would observe wanton destruction and massive loss of life. On the basis of observing some microcosm of the tactics used in a particular battle you might describe both sides as something considerably worse in terms of murderousness and violence than Crips and Bloods. If you were to interrogate people from each side you would find they offer moral justifications on behalf of the cause being pursued. You would find them able to point to gross injustices committed by the other side. Still, were you to reach the conclusion that both sides were mirror images of each other you would make a profound mistake. You could only reach such a conclusion by ignoring the vast differences in terms of behavior and ideology between the two sides.

We disagree on the aims of the U.S. branch of Antifa. We agree the racist dudes suck. Where we differ is that you take Antifa at their word that they are only against racists. Your problem is that you have not done a deep enough dive to see who Antifa considers to be fascists. Their definition is much more broad then any of you are willing to admit. As someone who tends to have beliefs extremely similar to Ben Shapiro, I find that I would meet the definition of a fascist to Antifa. As said, they are thugs who beat up political opponents, not just Nazis.

So all of these attempts to compare these masked douchebags to the soldiers who stormed the beaches at Normandy is the largest of false equivalencies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT