ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early RPI

biglewexpress

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2006
As you all know the RPI is a great indicator on where teams fare throughout the season for chances at postseason play. IU is currently 49, the highest rated BIG team. Unfortunately, 9 BIG teams are currently 250+.

In short, currently IU is the best team on opponents schedule this season. Likely leading to very competitive games for IU so teams can try and climb the RPI since conference games only this year.

It will be interesting to see how that shakes out since BIG teams won’t have non-conference games. IU missing playing games against the likes of Ball State (RPI#1), Indiana State (RPI#9), Notre Dame (#24), Xavier (#65), Louisville (#98), UK (#110), Cincinnati (#120), could lead to issues with the end of season RPI.

Exactly why I posted a couple days ago about the B1G screwing this thing up. You seemed to respond that it was all good because schools were saving money. I hope like heck we don't look back at a missed tournament opportunity because the commissioner is a coward.

Exactly why I posted a couple days ago about the B1G screwing this thing up. You seemed to respond that it was all good because schools were saving money. I hope like heck we don't look back at a missed tournament opportunity because the commissioner is a coward.
Where did I say that it was all good? I did say they would save some money, which is a positive for some BIG programs.

This certainly has a positive tone. Don’t you think?

“It allows the BIG to create a sort of bubble. Look, some teams didn’t play this weekend because of COVID issues already. West Virginia, Xavier for example. BC adjusted and picked up playing Auburn, Kent State ended up going to Mississippi State. Changing plans like this is a logistical and financial anomaly for some these programs considering the planing that already in place before the season starts.

The BIG has decided to go the bubble route, it certainly will help BIG schools out financially as well.”

This certainly has a positive tone. Don’t you think?

“It allows the BIG to create a sort of bubble. Look, some teams didn’t play this weekend because of COVID issues already. West Virginia, Xavier for example. BC adjusted and picked up playing Auburn, Kent State ended up going to Mississippi State. Changing plans like this is a logistical and financial anomaly for some these programs considering the planing that already in place before the season starts.

The BIG has decided to go the bubble route, it certainly will help BIG schools out financially as well.”
My tone would be, it is what it is.

Warren has been underwhelming so far, to put it mildly.

Are you aware that the commissioner doesn’t make decisions unilaterally and that he takes his marching orders from the university presidents? You should probably go over to the basketball forum and be a drama queen with the rest of them. It is what it is.

Are you aware that the commissioner doesn’t make decisions unilaterally and that he takes his marching orders from the university presidents? You should probably go over to the basketball forum and be a drama queen with the rest of them. It is what it is.
It's true that commissioner is subordinate to the presidents, but he has huge influence over their decisions, and in most cases, the presidents follow his guidance.

I disagree with that statement IMMENSELY.
That's your right and I welcome criticisms of any of my posts since this is what forums are often about - discussing issues and providing opinions pro and con. The commissioner carries a lot of weight on issues facing the B1G, and I will continue to believe what I posted.

That's your right and I welcome criticisms of any of my posts since this is what forums are often about - discussing issues and providing opinions pro and con. The commissioner carries a lot of weight on issues facing the B1G, and I will continue to believe what I posted.

And we can disagree in a respectable way....but the college presidents and boards have way more to think about in terms of university reputation than to allow the commissioner of their athletic teams to lead them rather than the other way around. Particularly as it pertains to issues like covid or other huge picture issues. And aside from the covid issue, which, again, I will say presidents dictated how it has been handled by the conference, is truly the only thing Warren has done/been involved with since he took over.

Okay, I know that there are a lot of factors that go into the RPI, and often a person can't fully understand what influences it, but this is ridiculous. Penn St (2-6) loses a double header to IU and jumps 242 spots to #16, while IU (5-1) jumps 20 spots to #31. I guess if Penn St also drops tomorrow's doubleheader, they will challenge for the #1 spot for the time being.

Okay, I know that there are a lot of factors that go into the RPI, and often a person can't fully understand what influences it, but this is ridiculous. Penn St (2-6) loses a double header to IU and jumps 242 spots to #16, while IU (5-1) jumps 20 spots to #31. I guess if Penn St also drops tomorrow's doubleheader, they will challenge for the #1 spot for the time being.
The Live RPI is always in flux since teams are playing. Playing good teams boosts your RPI by just stepping on the field with them, winning those games helps sustain your RPI throughout the season. It’s about where teams finish at the end of the year that matters in the RPI. Certain wins/losses throughout the season can move between quad 1/2/3/4. The math is always changing until the end of conference tournaments.

The biggest rule for the RPI is don’t loose to bad teams (quad 3/4) at home.

The Live RPI is always in flux since teams are playing. Playing good teams boosts your RPI by just stepping on the field with them, winning those games helps sustain your RPI throughout the season. It’s about where teams finish at the end of the year that matters in the RPI. Certain wins/losses throughout the season can move between quad 1/2/3/4. The math is always changing until the end of conference tournaments.

The biggest rule for the RPI is don’t loose to bad teams (quad 3/4) at home.
Yeah, I know it's a constantly changing thing as games are completed with things finally settling down after the weekend action is over with, at least for a day or two. I know that it's just a temporary bump for Penn State since there is no way that team would be that high at the end of the weekend. It's just that they got a big bump almost immediately after dropping the doubleheader. Results of other games obviously are affecting things also. It's just that it's weird, at least to me, that it would happen. It will be interesting to see where B1G teams are at after the action is completed this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT