ADVERTISEMENT

Was it or Wasn't it.....

Tscurlo

Junior
Dec 11, 2011
At 16:55 to go in the first half, Pardon blocked Justin Smiths dunk attempt.

In the replay, Clark Kellogg said "Cleanly blocked the Dunk attempt from behind".

What is the rule now for blocking a shot?

In the picture.... It looks like he had a lot of hand also.

P0F4uo0.png

P0F4uo0

NKw3x

Last edited:
Reactions: mazz
My thoughts are you have to hit more ball then hand then you are ok. If you say hand part of the ball and you hit hand only then Clearly it's a foul. In this case, no foul.

The hand is always considered part of the ball as long as the hand is in contact with the ball.

On a shot? Are you telling me I can hit the shooters hand when he shoots the ball. Wow, Archie needs to start teaching that cause the defense on jump shots would increase immensely!
that was a dunk, not a jump shot

that was a dunk, not a jump shot
So it's still a shot, no difference in the rule book. For that matter, I'd like someone to show me where it says the hands part of the ball in the rule book?

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

"The hand is considered “Part of the ball” when it is in contact with the ball. It is not a foul if a defensive player makes normal contact with a players hand when it is in contact with the ball."

Rikki.... this is not a slam on your post... just my opinion.

This is where College Basketball will ultimately fail.... Following or mimicking NBA rules.

I hate NBA and quit watching NBA games. I'm just tired of the Traveling, the carrying of the ball, the moving screens, etc. The NBA has just made a travesty out of the original basketball fundamentals and rules.

I watched a high school game on TV yesterday, Montverde vs Mater Dei, and one point in the game, a guard was standing near the center circle to kill clock with no one guarding him. He was standing there slowly dribbling the ball. But he wasn't bouncing the ball under his hand (dribbling) ... the ball would come up at waist height, he would place his hand UNDER the ball and turn it over to bounce it again.

In the rules.... that is carrying the ball. Now granted.... there were no defenders on him, he wasn't making a break for the goal and all this other crap the NBA has come up with to justify players to do this.

It's against the rules.... ref should have blown the whistle and given the ball to the opposing team.

I guess I'm just to old for this anymore..... the NBA has ruined basketball.

In my humble opinion.

I checked the NCAA rules, because... no offense, rikki... I wanted to know if the NCAA agrees with the NBA on this.

Here's Rule 10, Article 2:
A player shall not contact an opponent with his hand unless such contact is only with the opponent’s hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball.

In other words, it's a judgment call. In the official's mind, that was incidental contact.

Rikki.... this is not a slam on your post... just my opinion.

This is where College Basketball will ultimately fail.... Following or mimicking NBA rules.

I hate NBA and quit watching NBA games. I'm just tired of the Traveling, the carrying of the ball, the moving screens, etc. The NBA has just made a travesty out of the original basketball fundamentals and rules.

I watched a high school game on TV yesterday, Montverde vs Mater Dei, and one point in the game, a guard was standing near the center circle to kill clock with no one guarding him. He was standing there slowly dribbling the ball. But he wasn't bouncing the ball under his hand (dribbling) ... the ball would come up at waist height, he would place his hand UNDER the ball and turn it over to bounce it again.

In the rules.... that is carrying the ball. Now granted.... there were no defenders on him, he wasn't making a break for the goal and all this other crap the NBA has come up with to justify players to do this.

It's against the rules.... ref should have blown the whistle and given the ball to the opposing team.

I guess I'm just to old for this anymore..... the NBA has ruined basketball.

In my humble opinion.

I feel your pain re: all that you said.... Dr. Naismith would watch NBA ball and say... What game is this?....

At 16:55 to go in the first half, Pardon blocked Justin Smiths dunk attempt.

In the replay, Clark Kellogg said "Cleanly blocked the Dunk attempt from behind".

What is the rule now for blocking a shot?

In the picture.... It looks like he had a lot of hand also.

P0F4uo0.png

P0F4uo0

NKw3x
When I played the hand was considered part of the ball. Not wrist just the hand. If the ball is released and then hand is contacted blow the whistle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT