ADVERTISEMENT

Warren entering the race officially

Awesome. Never underestimate the dems ability to find a candidate less likable than Trump.
I’m not a fan, but sorry, there is probably no one in politics that is less likable than Trump. Not possible. There are going to be about 20 candidates and not one will be less likable and all will be more capable and less corrupt.

I’m not a fan, but sorry, there is probably no one in politics that is less likable than Trump. Not possible. There are going to be about 20 candidates and not one will be less likable and all will be more capable and less corrupt.
That’s your opinion.

Reactions: herrli

She will energize a constituency the Dems need to get involved. The more aspects of the electorate the Dems can motivate- the better. Trump hasn't expanded his base, in fact the GOP voting numbers for the midterms were lower than Dems in all 3 areas. That includes the Senate (which the GOP "won") where Dems scored a 56% to 41% victory in terms of the popular vote garnering 46 Million votes to 34 for the GOP.

Reactions: meridian and Accuro
She will energize a constituency the Dems need to get involved. The more aspects of the electorate the Dems can motivate- the better.
That's a pretty good argument. But can she deliver the constituency energized by her candidacy to support a Democratic candidate who ain't her?

Democrats are the Balkans of American politics . . . if "my candidate" isn't "the candidate" then they take their ball and go home.

That's a pretty good argument. But can she deliver the constituency energized by her candidacy to support a Democratic candidate who ain't her?

Democrats are the Balkans of American politics . . . if "my candidate" isn't "the candidate" then they take their ball and go home.
Exactly. Bloomington Bernheads stayed home in droves. Whoever the candidate is, let's hope s/he has as one campaign slogan: Never Again.

She will energize a constituency the Dems need to get involved. The more aspects of the electorate the Dems can motivate- the better.

That’s the concern, just like some of the Bernie folks. Not going to fall in love with anyone. I’ll just wait and see how it plays .

Exactly. Bloomington Bernheads stayed home in droves. Whoever the candidate is, let's hope s/he has as one campaign slogan: Never Again.
I never got the Bernie love. Maybe I missed something but isn't he basically an OLD backbencher that has almost no legislative record. If you're young you can get away with a lite record, but if you've been in Washington for a couple of decades and have nothing to show for it...

I never got the Bernie love. Maybe I missed something but isn't he basically an OLD backbencher that has almost no legislative record. If you're young you can get away with a lite record, but if you've been in Washington for a couple of decades and have nothing to show for it...
I suppose that depends on how you measure things.

E.g., how would you score Congresspeople who've shifted in material ways over the years and have never taken a stand on a hard issue?

How would you score Congresspeople who've been loud and active but have also revealed great ignorance and a tremendous disregard of science and reality?

How would you score Congresspeople who've been loud and active, but who've consistently favored party over country?

If we're just scoring the Congresspeople who've achieved great legislative victories, who are the ten or so you think have been among the most successful?

Reactions: Digressions
I'm talking any victories.

Has here done anything?

I'm asking about him specifically.

The rest of your post was just noise.

Or a bunch of other topics rolled together.

Last edited:
She will energize a constituency the Dems need to get involved. The more aspects of the electorate the Dems can motivate- the better. Trump hasn't expanded his base, in fact the GOP voting numbers for the midterms were lower than Dems in all 3 areas. That includes the Senate (which the GOP "won") where Dems scored a 56% to 41% victory in terms of the popular vote garnering 46 Million votes to 34 for the GOP.
I don't think we can predict the future. Specifically, I don't know that she "will" energize a constituency.

I do think she's stumbled a bit already over the past year and that doesn't send a convincing message that she'll do far better in an intense political campaign.

Bernie got the left excited about some progressive ideas which the party was scared to put front and center, while also attracting blue collar whites that had been threatening to leave the party for years. That was quite the accomplishment.

Every time I watched Bernie in a debate or town hall, I cringed a bit. He basically just gave his stump speech over and over, and it was full of platitudes and light on details. But, considering what happened in November, I'm not sure that combination would have been a detriment in the general election.

That said, there are a number of politicians that I think share a lot of Bernie's positives, but also have a little bit more of the gravitas needed to convince me they'd also be an effective president. I'd like Bernie to sit this one out.

Warren is not one of those people. I'd like her to sit this one out, too. Bernie and Warren do the most for America by being right where they are - in the Senate.

Warren's already got her slogan.

turn-in-your-guns-the-government-will-take-care-of-31854876.png

Reactions: herrli
Bernie got the left excited about some progressive ideas which the party was scared to put front and center, while also attracting blue collar whites that had been threatening to leave the party for years. That was quite the accomplishment.

Every time I watched Bernie in a debate or town hall, I cringed a bit. He basically just gave his stump speech over and over, and it was full of platitudes and light on details. But, considering what happened in November, I'm not sure that combination would have been a detriment in the general election.

That said, there are a number of politicians that I think share a lot of Bernie's positives, but also have a little bit more of the gravitas needed to convince me they'd also be an effective president. I'd like Bernie to sit this one out.

Warren is not one of those people. I'd like her to sit this one out, too. Bernie and Warren do the most for America by being right where they are - in the Senate.
Thank you.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Sure hope she gets the nomination. Hell maybe she can make BS her running mate. Maybe they will claim to be for the middle class. Have not heard the Dems claim that for a while.

I'd like Bernie to sit this one out.[...]
I'd like her to sit this one out, too. Bernie and Warren do the most for America by being right where they are - in the Senate.
Yes. Exactly. Neither are the best candidate available, and both will serve the county's interests better from their positions in the Senate. I would especially look forward to Sen. Warren in an oversight position of the financial industry in a Democrat controlled Senate. Bernie can push the progressive envelope, and pull the more centrist/pragmatist in that direction in the process. But none of that is possible without a big blue wave in 2020, and a fractured Dem nomination process won't help that. Warren and Bernie need to step back and let the better candidates rise to the top.

I don't see any path for her to be successful in getting close to the nomination.
She's driven. Her drive is hard left. She has a clear path to increasing Democrats' chances of losing to Trump, which should be more impossible than in 2016.

Here's one take on Warren:

Watching Warren's announcement video, you can see her priorities are clear: she wants economic and racial justice and recognizes that the two are neither identical nor severable (unlike too many others on the populist left who believe class is a singular unifying force and racism is a secondary "identity politics" issue solvable by economic changes alone). She recognizes that equality of opportunity isn't just about what class you were born into; it's also about how race and gender shape individual opportunity and mobility.

Warren has done us all an immense favor by kicking her campaign off the way she did: she is setting the narrative, and insisting it focuses on class and race, economic inequality and gender inequality, and all of the ways in which our identities, and America's history of racism and sexism indelibly shape who has opportunity, when and how.

It's a brilliant beginning, and even if she doesn't ultimately earn your vote, Warren has drawn the lines of the race -- and launched from a crucial starting point.
We'll see how heavily she and others emphasize the white working middle class. That's the key. That's what Democrats have lost their grip on.

Reactions: meridian
Yes. Exactly. Neither are the best candidate available, and both will serve the county's interests better from their positions in the Senate. I would especially look forward to Sen. Warren in an oversight position of the financial industry in a Democrat controlled Senate. Bernie can push the progressive envelope, and pull the more centrist/pragmatist in that direction in the process. But none of that is possible without a big blue wave in 2020, and a fractured Dem nomination process won't help that. Warren and Bernie need to step back and let the better candidates rise to the top.
It's far too early to talk about a blue wave, but just looking at the map, I think you're right that some kind of wave is needed. Jones will probably lose, and the Dems have a good chance at defeating Gardner, which means, even if the Dems take back the White House, they will need to pick up three more seats on a map that is, as of now, relatively unfavorable. The 2022 map looks a little better, though, so even if the Dems can't win the Senate in 2020, maybe they can keep it close enough to win in 2022, and give whomever the Democratic President is two years of full control of the government.

Awesome. Never underestimate the dems ability to find a candidate less likable than Trump.
Sometimes it amazing to me how "supposedly" intelligent people in BOTH parties can be so stupid. I think it's mostly because they are out of touch with reality when it comes to the normal every day working American.

Sometimes it amazing to me how "supposedly" intelligent people in BOTH parties can be so stupid. I think it's mostly because they are out of touch with reality when it comes to the normal every day working American.

they're not out of touch with who's bribing and extorting them, thus who they really represent.

you can't have privately financed campaigns, and not have those elected representing the moneyed interests who have by 1000 plus times the most to finance them with, and for whom said "financing" is a purely business investment for which they expect a return on.

it's not that they are out of touch with working Americans. it's that that's just not who is financing them, or their opponents, thus just not who they work for.

Reactions: Digressions
Aren’t all of us normal, every day working class Americans? No matter where we live, no matter what party we belong to?

Aren’t all of us normal, every day working class Americans? No matter where we live, no matter what party we belong to?
Yeah we are but the "supposedly" intelligent people who represent us in Washington are not normal, every day working class Americans so a lot of them have no idea what people want because they out of touch with us and that's the reason a person like Trump gets elected.

Reactions: Cajun54
Yeah we are but the "supposedly" intelligent people who represent us in Washington are not normal, every day working class Americans so a lot of them have no idea what people want because they out of touch with us and that's the reason a person like Trump gets elected.
If you're speaking for conservative politicians, okay, but Trump got elected because far-left liberals own the DNP. Those liberals are conscientious do-gooders, so their intent is not the problem, but they are disconnected from too much of the electorate, there you're right.

So Hillary Is all done with politics?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT