ADVERTISEMENT

War Movies.

Midway could have been a decent movie but they ruined it with that BS drama over Charlton Heston's kid and his Japanese girlfriend. I don't like my war movies crapped up with that kind of nonsense, particularly if it's a film that's supposed to be portraying an historically accurate battle or campaign. Stick to the script.

Another aside, and many good films violate this, but I hate it when the Germans or Japanese or Vietnamese or Russian or whoever, speak English. Speak the native language and use subtitles please.

The worst was Valkyrie, the horrible accents absolutely ruined that movie.

What are your five favorites? Not best, what you like. and yes we're allowed to ridicule. (yes, that means if C-$ responds.)

No order..
Apocalypse Now (original cut),
Empire of the Sun, < my favorite.
Das Boot,
Bridge on the River Kwai
We Were Soldiers,

Just out ..
Lawrence of Arabia
All Quiet on the Western Front, (original version)
Glory,
Big Red One (director's cut)
Where Eagles Dare

Odd one no one ever mentions..
Blue Max

Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Blackhawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Patton

I also enjoyed: Longest Day, American Sniper, the Patriot, Lone Survivor, Schindler's List

Midway could have been a decent movie but they ruined it with that BS drama over Charlton Heston's kid and his Japanese girlfriend. I don't like my war movies crapped up with that kind of nonsense, particularly if it's a film that's supposed to be portraying an historically accurate battle or campaign. Stick to the script.

Another aside, and many good films violate this, but I hate it when the Germans or Japanese or Vietnamese or Russian or whoever, speak English. Speak the native language and use subtitles please.
I agree and didn't care for that story line in an otherwise historically accurate movie. HOWEVER..... it did emphasize the treatment of Japanese-Americans during the war and the paranoia associated with their presence in Hawaii and the coast. So, it wasn't totally out of line and wasn't just something thrown in as a romance interest.

Can't believer I'm the only one who mentioned 12 O'Clock High. To me, it's clearly the best war movie out there. What's wrong with you troglodytes?

Downfall
Valkerie

Were two that focused on Hitler that I found interesting.

Band of Brothers
The Pacific

Were both great mini series.

Full Metal Jacket

The Longest Day is one of my favorites. Torra, Tora, Tora! Is also great. The Big Red One, Full Metal Jacket, Guns of the Navarone and the Great Escape all make my list.

Last edited:
What are your five favorites? Not best, what you like. and yes we're allowed to ridicule. (yes, that means if C-$ responds.)

No order..
Apocalypse Now (original cut),
Empire of the Sun, < my favorite.
Das Boot,
Bridge on the River Kwai
We Were Soldiers,

Just out ..
Lawrence of Arabia
All Quiet on the Western Front, (original version)
Glory,
Big Red One (director's cut)
Where Eagles Dare

Odd one no one ever mentions..
Blue Max

No love for Stripes? MASH?

Which war was Stripes set it? Mash was serious enough, that it fits "war movie". Stripes was a comedy.
T'was posting in jest... Although both great movies.
Picked up Fury and Unbroken for my flight to Dublin today. I'd like to finish the book before I watch it though.

Where does Last of the Mohicans fall on your list? DDL at his best

Picked up Fury and Unbroken for my flight to Dublin today. I'd like to finish the book before I watch it though.

Well, quit that.

I think it's a fantastic movie.

Actually that is not DDL at his best...

I have to put Deer Hunter on this list, but under this category.

I did not "like" this movie; in fact, its one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. I left the theater feeling like someone punched me in the gut. But it was good. Wrong descriptor? Effective? Help a brother out...

Anywho... its maybe the best war movie ever made that I didn't like. Better than Born on the 4th of July in my book, admittedly not wholly but partly because I can't stand the munchkin Tom Cruise.
I agree with you Hoops. It is maybe the only movie I had to shield my eyes. The Russian roulette scene was....awful, powerful, disturbing....who knows.

My top 5 including the word powerful as opposed to "enjoy" would be:

The Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Bridge over River Kwai
Full Metal Jacket

Most overrated: Saving Private Ryan.

His roles in 'Gangs of New York' and 'There Will Be Blood' were more impressive, I thought.

Love DDL and yes, Gangs of New York was his absolute finest and that's saying a lot. Even more over In the Name of Our Father and My Left Foot in my personal opinion.

For being gone as long as he was before that movie, and for being such a pacifist in real life....Bill the Butcher was an incredible character of his and he stole every scene he was in. Made Liam F'ing Nielsen look like a guy who does community theater in Bedford.

Some would say it's easier to play villains as there typically isn't as much emotion and you get to be loud, obnoxious and colorful. I get that. However I do like it when an actor can completely dominate the screen and have your attention for every word he says. Bill definitely was that kind of character.

Similar to Ledger's joker. Good luck Mr. Leto with that by the way.

So this thread got off track with everyone trying to list "quality" films as opposed to movies that they simply liked watching even if they weren't that great.

As a kid I watched "Hell is for Heroes" which is another old style WWII film. No historical accuracy to speak of. Ridiculous battle sequences that make war look like a rollicking good time. But whatever. Steve McQueen (there he is again), Bobby Darin, James Coburn, Fess Parker, and a pre-famous Bob Newhart. What more could you want?

So this thread got off track with everyone trying to list "quality" films as opposed to movies that they simply liked watching even if they weren't that great.

As a kid I watched "Hell is for Heroes" which is another old style WWII film. No historical accuracy to speak of. Ridiculous battle sequences that make war look like a rollicking good time. But whatever. Steve McQueen (there he is again), Bobby Darin, James Coburn, Fess Parker, and a pre-famous Bob Newhart. What more could you want?

Speaking of Fess Parker, 'Davy Crockett'. It might not be a movie as much as 3-4 part serial, but it had some of that war fighting in it and I always enjoyed it as a lad.

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee ...

Speaking of Fess Parker, 'Davy Crockett'. It might not be a movie as much as 3-4 part serial, but it had some of that war fighting in it and I always enjoyed it as a lad.

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee ...

And speaking of Davy Crocket, I'll add The Alamo (the one with John Wayne) to my list of fun war movies to watch. Historically inaccurate, but who cares? How can you not tear up when the blonde chick and the little boy ride out on the burro to that stirring music. Brilliant!

Midway - saw that in the theater as a young kid and was amazed that the top stars of the day were in it
The Longest Day
Band of Brothers - not really a movie, but I liked the detail on the Battle of the Bulge.
They Were Expendable - John Wayne and Kirk Douglas
The Great Escape
Stalag 17
The Patriot

I would love to see a well done movie or mini series on the campaigns of George Rogers Clark. Few know the hardship he suffered as a result of his service.

Battleground - Black and white/Battle of the Bulge
500px-Battleground_020.jpg

Kelly's Heroes - "Say some thing righteous"

The Sand Pebbles (McQueen and his SEG)
steve%2Bmcqueen%2Bpeace.jpg

As good as BoB was, and it was very well done. Really disappointed in the way they did Bastogne. No mention of 333rd or 969th Field Artillery Battalion and their role. The 969th was given a unit citation for their part. It was most likely the first time since the Civil War that black troops fought along side white in the American Army. It deserved notice.

Reactions: hoosierdug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT