Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape

Overall:
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Gone with the Wind
The Deer Hunter
Black Hawk Down

We did this on the OTF a couple of years ago. What are your favorite war movies? Try to show some war variety - i.e., not just a list of best WW2 films.

My offerings:

Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
Stalag 17
Where Eagles Dare
All Quiet on the Western Front
Das Boot
This list would change all the time, but here for now. First, nice catch on Stalag 17. I love it but I have to put Escape over it today.

All Quiet
Glory
Apocalypse Now
Great Escape
Das Boot
A Bridge Too Far
Longest Day
Paths of Glory
Patton
Crimson Tide

I hope I'm not hijacking this topic, but it made me remember that one of my favorite genres for novels is historical fiction. Any recommendations for great war-related historical fiction? I've loved Killer Angels and all of Alan Furst's novels on WW II and pre WW II espionage.

I hope I'm not hijacking this topic, but it made me remember that one of my favorite genres for novels is historical fiction. Any recommendations for great war-related historical fiction? I've loved Killer Angels and all of Alan Furst's novels on WW II and pre WW II espionage.
Micheal Shaara is great.

Guns of the South
Sci Fi civil war alternative history.

If we are counting Burns, then I would have had him and Band of Brothers. Brothers is hands down my favorite, just do not think of it as a movie
I second that motion on Band of Brothers. I included Burns but forgot B of B. Another one I enjoy is Good Morning, Vietnam. It’s kind of hard to pull off a war comedy, but Robin Williams was a genius.

I have to admit, Vietnam movies bum me out. WW II movies, even the ones that are brutal, lift me up.
WWII movies tended to portray the Japanese as being sub human.

My brother came home after being in the occupational forces in Japan following the end of the war. He came home with complete admiration for the Japanese.

Given this, I cannot help but watch WWII movies without thinking of them as war propaganda.

Have you read A Man Called Intrepid. Great Read about secret stuff that wasn’t known until the 1970’s. Also 1942, The year That Tried Men’s Souls.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

My brother came home after being in the occupational forces in Japan following the end of the war. He came home with complete admiration for the Japanese.

Given this, I cannot help but watch WWII movies without thinking of them as war propaganda.
All movies are propaganda.

Have you read accounts of the Bataan Death March and the Japanese Occupation of SE Asia? The atrocities are very difficult to read. Can’t imagine living through that or doing that to other human beings. How about Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Okinawa? We literally were forced to kill every last Japanese soldier. There is a reason why we had German POW’s but never Japanese POW’s to any appreciable extent.

An entirely different scenario being in occupation forces after the war was over than what they did during the war.

Reactions: 76-1
An entirely different scenario being in occupation forces after the war was over than what they did during the war.
Dan Carlin did a great job describing what led to the Japanese committing such atrocities in his Supernova in the East series that he should be finishing up soon. He explains it, and tries to humanize the experience, but doesn't justify it. I might write him in on my next presidential ballot.

The refusal to surrender by Japanese soldiers made the prospect of treating them with anything other than abject brutality pretty much untenable.

They fought like wounded animals and the films portray them that way.

Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
What’s the executive summary of what led to the atrocities? I left out China. Nanking and what they did to the Chinese who helped the Doolittle raiders also is inexplicably horrible in my view.
I'm two bourbons in and it's been a year (more?) since that first episode, but I'll take a stab: it's a combination of a culture that inculcated their own racial superiority, obedience to the emperor, and military training that punished mercy if displayed by their soldiers.

I think he also covered their strategic need to be cruel: they were a small island nation trying to conquer an enormous land mass and many Pacific islands and so were always vastly outnumbered so they had to use tactics to terrorize and control the various populations. When you look at the land area they were trying to control given their population, it really is amazing what they were trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, Vietnam movies bum me out. WW II movies, even the ones that are brutal, lift me up.
I think for me it’s a matter of being slightly aware of the war when it was still ongoing is why I find it interesting…and sad. I have vague memories of being in the car on the way home from my grandparents’ house. It was about an hour drive. I remember hearing them talking about it on the radio and my parents discussing it. Plus knowing people who fought. One of our moderators, Cajun, fought in Vietnam.

What you mentioned is interesting to me. I think “the cause” is one of the main aspects of why something is a bummer or uplifting. To me, it’s an important reminder that war should always be the very last resort. Our military is amazing and made up of people like Ranger, Aloha, Cajun, and on and on. Wasting people’s lives, health (both physical and mental) is not something to take lightly. we have a lot of arm chair generals who are always so cavalier about going to “take them out” without understanding what that really entails.

I think WWII and maybe Afghanistan were the last truly “necessary” wars. I’m sure people have far different opinions than me, but I think that’s why WWII is seen as “uplifting”. We defeated the most evil regime, possibly in human history. At least in the Western Hemisphere.

I think for me it’s a matter of being slightly aware of the war when it was still ongoing is why I find it interesting…and sad. I have vague memories of being in the car on the way home from my grandparents’ house. It was about an hour drive. I remember hearing them talking about it on the radio and my parents discussing it. Plus knowing people who fought. One of our moderators, Cajun, fought in Vietnam.

What you mentioned is interesting to me. I think “the cause” is one of the main aspects of why something is a bummer or uplifting. To me, it’s an important reminder that war should always be the very last resort. Our military is amazing and made up of people like Ranger, Aloha, Cajun, and on and on. Wasting people’s lives, health (both physical and mental) is not something to take lightly. we have a lot of arm chair generals who are always so cavalier about going to “take them out” without understanding what that really entails.

I think WWII and maybe Afghanistan were the last truly “necessary” wars. I’m sure people have far different opinions than me, but I think that’s why WWII is seen as “uplifting”. We defeated the most evil regime, possibly in human history. At least in the Western Hemisphere.
Western Hemisphere? Germany and Japan were equally vile

Back to movies, From Here to Eternity mentioned yet? Operation Petticoat was actually slightly fact based. Father Goose was a comedy but also good

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT