ADVERTISEMENT

Vonleh joins a Chinese league

it is..was just thinking that..I live close to the WI border and spend a lot of time playing up in WI...it's all about the sharp cheddar. I don't even think Velveeta is legal in Wisconsin.

Beer, brats, cheese, good fishing and kick-ass fireworks...great state in the summer. all 30 days of it.
I'm of the age where Velveeta, and processed foods in general, were a new invention during our developmental years. Our mothers routinely served us Velveeta cheese, especially on grilled cheese sandwiches. My best friend's dad growing up was always seen with a slab of Velveeta draped over the top of his long-necked Black Label beer bottle. Even today, when I make a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich with various real cheeses, I still have to include a touch of Velveeta. The same goes for my gourmet mac and cheese...gotta have a small chunk of Velveeta in there for the sake of nostalgia. I try not to think of it for what it truly must be, a solid orange brick of coagulated cholesterol.

I'm of the age where Velveeta, and processed foods in general, were a new invention during our developmental years. Our mothers routinely served us Velveeta cheese, especially on grilled cheese sandwiches. My best friend's dad growing up was always seen with a slab of Velveeta draped over the top of his long-necked Black Label beer bottle. Even today, when I make a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich with various real cheeses, I still have to include a touch of Velveeta. The same goes for my gourmet mac and cheese...gotta have a small chunk of Velveeta in there for the sake of nostalgia. I try not to think of it for what it truly must be, a solid orange brick of coagulated cholesterol.
For years I craved nachos on Saturday. As I've gotten older I don't eat as many as I used to. I take tortilla chips, about nine of them which is a serving, and I put slices of generic velveeta on it and then it goes into the microwave. It is very good.

For years I craved nachos on Saturday. As I've gotten older I don't eat as many as I used to. I take tortilla chips, about nine of them which is a serving, and I put slices of generic velveeta on it and then it goes into the microwave. It is very good.
Ah, the simple pleasures of a life fulfilled. How can one argue with that!

Yes, but at the time Larry quit (before he got started) we didn’t appreciate what a HUGE loss he would prove to be. He was not a particularly exciting recruit of well renown to fans, coming from such a small school in one of the hidden valleys of southern Indiana. Even a lot of IU fans today don’t know he was once committed to play for Bob Knight.
I will agree, just tossing some shade at you, Vonleh was no Larry Bird. Bird is perhaps the greatest basketball story of all time and who knows how the twists and turns could have changed? How would he and Bobby get along? Bob had so much talent at the time . Just a lot of what ifs?

I will agree, just tossing some shade at you, Vonleh was no Larry Bird. Bird is perhaps the greatest basketball story of all time and who knows how the twists and turns could have changed? How would he and Bobby get along? Bob had so much talent at the time . Just a lot of what ifs?
Larry Bird wasn't Larry Bird in 1974. Many talk of him being one of the greatest in Indiana hs history, but he wasn't close to that based on his hs career alone. It wasn't until much later that we saw what he was.

Larry Bird wasn't Larry Bird in 1974. Many talk of him being one of the greatest in Indiana hs history, but he wasn't close to that based on his hs career alone. It wasn't until much later that we saw what he was.
Larry averaged 31 pts 21 rebounds and four assists as a Senior. Those stats would get the attention of schools which is why he got the offer from Indiana. To be honest from the stories I heard I blame Kent Benson for riding Larry too much because he was poor. It is also true that Larry was overwhelmed by the size of IU. So it was not completely Benson's fault.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Larry averaged 31 pts 21 rebounds and four assists as a Senior. Those stats would get the attention of schools which is why he got the offer from Indiana. To be honest from the stories I heard I blame Kent Benson for riding Larry too much because he was poor. It is also true that Larry was overwhelmed by the size of IU. So it was not completely Benson's fault.
Not saying he wasn't a good prepster. He puts up those kind of numbers in Indy, the NCC, or nw Indiana that's special. Just saying his high school career has been enhanced by what he accomplished later.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure everyone knew I used generic velveeta. What do they think I am a tv preacher with lots of money? lol
I must admit I did find the visual of a preacher eating microwaved Velveeta on tortilla chips to be rather amusing. Surely you could make it more interesting by adding something like diced jalopeno peppers, tomatoes, or sour cream. Don't they sometimes put a smear of refried beans on those things? I'll have to give your unadulterated version a try sometime before final judgement day. It might be better than I think...if hungry enough.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I must admit I did find the visual of a preacher eating microwaved Velveeta on tortilla chips to be rather amusing. Surely you could make it more interesting by adding something like diced jalopeno peppers, tomatoes, or sour cream. Don't they sometimes put a smear of refried beans on those things? I'll have to give your unadulterated version a try sometime before final judgement day. It might be better than I think...if hungry enough.
I agree. Use a ghost pepper cheese for your foundation. Get some peppers ( my favorite are serranos) from the Mercado ( big chain grocery stores miss fine points of peppers..smaller the hotter) and top it with some skirt steak And fresh cilantro. Also diced onions are a good topping if you don’t have any romantic encounters on your schedule. Skip the beans..not Healthy for your body and your relationships.

Not saying he wasn't a good prepster. He puts up those kind of numbers in Indy, the NCC, or nw Indiana that's special. Just saying his high school career has been enhanced by what he accomplished later.
He wasn’t a good prepster..he was excellent. I guarded him once in the year of the IU drop out and the ISU seasons In a Washington adult league. He was a ghost. He knew my plan before I could actuate. I gave up on the usual cross step and butt in his tracks for block outs ..went to straight up chest to chest block outs for 10 ft or over shots Also used the refereeing to implement the off hand elbows taps on his js and the off hand short tugs on his layups. Bird is an excellent name for him…..he would swoop in from the wing and one hand dunk rebounds. After college, I moved to the region (nw Ind) and played on all the courts …Hammond Y ( or HS) …courts in Griffith center,..Gary courts …some certainly D1s and pros there…..nobody even came close to his skills
Went to the old Chicago Stadium game for Celtics vs. Scottie and Micheal…score was tied…a few seconds left ...so predictable to what happen next…Celtics put three guys on the Bird opposite side…Bird sets up on the second block…DJ or Ainge …take the inbounds…..a few dribbles..pass to Bird …that step back in your face Scottie…he did it HS and College and NBA

A wave of depression flows over me when I think how close Bird-man came to playing for IU’s Knight. I’ve driven to see his former estate outside of French Lick. Needless to say, there is still a wonderful, full length b-ball court with lights to be seen. That he worked on a garbage truck after quitting IU and then went to a school the caliber of Indiana State is part of the enigma of Larry Bird. It wasn’t like there was a lot of fanfare when he signed to play for the Sycamores like you see today. They played their league games on Monday nights back then. He was fun to watch in college, this “Hick from French Lick”. I wonder what Knight thought as Bird took wings.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure everyone knew I used generic velveeta. What do they think I am a tv preacher with lots of money? lol
Does that mean you don’t have a private jet to whisk you around to all your mega church sites?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT