ADVERTISEMENT

Vitals just said

TheRehab5

Freshman
Sep 3, 2015
During the Gonzaga game "Alford should be coach of the year"
Thank you Dickie, they know what they need to do. Bring him home.

Lonzo Ball is a special player. Leaf is really good for a frosh. Bryce Alford is an excellent shooter and is a senior who has played a lot of minutes under pressure. The team is set up for success this season. Take away Ball and they lose at least 5 more games.

I would take Alford over Crean because Steve is a warrior and I think he could get top recruits. But I'd take Marshall over Alford, and it hurts to say that.

Nein! No Alford for me plz. UCLA will most likely be bounced from tourney at sweet 16. They are decently talented but don't stand a chance against east coast power squads. Butler could beat them, Kansas will destroy them.

Nein! No Alford for me plz. UCLA will most likely be bounced from tourney at sweet 16. They are decently talented but don't stand a chance against east coast power squads. Butler could beat them, Kansas will destroy them.
It will be interesting to see cause this is his best team yet. He needs to at lest make the elite 8 with this team.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
As a projected 3 seed, they should easily get to 16. Highly doubt 8. They will likely play a 2 seed in sweet 16. If it turns out to be Louisville or Kentucky also as projected, their season ends. Just my opinion. Let the dance begin!

Hiring Alford would maybe be the only thing to get coach Knight back..

8ab7fe60-d278-11e4-b6dc-11e0d849891a_AP00011801204.jpg

Uh, no. Alford helped organize the 87 reunion a few years ago, and Knight blew them off. He also got pissed at him for taking the Iowa job for some reason.

Uh, no. Alford helped organize the 87 reunion a few years ago, and Knight blew them off. He also got pissed at him for taking the Iowa job for some reason.
I've always felt that taking the Iowa job was a monumental mistake for Alford...and may have changed his career in a negative way. His trajectory was on the rise at that time. He said he "was a Big Ten guy" when asked about it.

Iowa is a low-ceiling situation for just about anyone...including Alford. He should have stayed out of the the conference....landed somewhere like Virginia or Stanford....IU would have been next.

What does that have to do with the future and health of Hoosier basketball?

Heck, if the guiding purpose in selecting a coach is their ability to woo RMK back to Assembly Hall, then we may as well cut out the middleman and hire Pat Knight.

I don't know if Steve Alford is the right choice for IU or not. But I can say this much with total confidence: whether or not he is has absolutely nothing to do with Bob Knight and his childish self-exile.

Reactions: outside shooter
I haven't followed Alford closely, but one glance at his coaching record makes me very nervous. That's a bigger roller coaster ride than Crean.

Reactions: moneyadvisor

Taking the Iowa job is the biggest mistake in Alford's Career.. Iowa is a hard place to win and recruit consistently .. Alford shoudl've stayed far away from the big ten if he ever wanted the IU job. Funny how he ends up at New Mexico, where knight almost left IU for.

Heck, if the guiding purpose in selecting a coach is their ability to woo RMK back to Assembly Hall, then we may as well cut out the middleman and hire Pat Knight.

I don't know if Steve Alford is the right choice for IU or not. But I can say this much with total confidence: whether or not he is has absolutely nothing to do with Bob Knight and his childish self-exile.
In Feinstein's book "A Season On The Brink" Pat called Bobby dumb when Bobby tried to drive his car through a flooded area and killed the motor. Bobby probably only brought Pat to IU as a player so he could get even.I don't think Pat can get Bobby back.

neither does any other coach have anything to do with Bob Knight "and his childish self-exile"...so whats the point?

neither does any other coach have anything to do with Bob Knight "and his childish self-exile"...so whats the point?

That is my point.

Knight has nothing to do with this. Whether or not this or that head coach could convince him to come back to Assembly Hall is immaterial. Bob Knight was a great coach for Indiana. But he's in our rearview mirror...Glass & Co. need to make this decision looking only out the windshield.

I was responding to somebody else saying that Alford would be the right choice because he could get RMK to come back. People need to stop being concerned with that. By his own choice, he's never coming back -- and that's just fine. Life goes on, if we let it.

Reactions: Squarepants
That is my point.

Knight has nothing to do with this. Whether or not this or that head coach could convince him to come back to Assembly Hall is immaterial. Bob Knight was a great coach for Indiana. But he's in our rearview mirror...Glass & Co. need to make this decision looking only out the windshield.

I was responding to somebody else saying that Alford would be the right choice because he could get RMK to come back. People need to stop being concerned with that. By his own choice, he's never coming back -- and that's just fine. Life goes on, if we let it.
Let Bobby come back home to coach, And let hoosier nation live happily ever after !

That is my point.

and I agree with this...

Knight is not coming back, that subject is absolutely irrelivant when it comes to this next hire.
We were robbed 15 years ago when the time was right to hire Alford. Clearly the other options have been nothing short of complete fails since then. It's time to complete a late marriage. Has nothing to do with Knight and his animosity towards IU.

Knight is not coming back, that subject is absolutely irrelivant when it comes to this next hire.
We were robbed 15 years ago when the time was right to hire Alford. Clearly the other options have been nothing short of complete fails since then. It's time to complete a late marriage. Has nothing to do with Knight and his animosity towards IU.
Crean has at least been to a Final Four. Why not just keep him if you love these numbers...

I love all the cherry-picking done for mediocre Steve. Who cares what his winning percentage was at New Mexico in a weak conference and with really bad pre-con schedules? He did squat in the tournament with all those 'great' teams.

But lets ignore his .477 winning % in the B1G. That doesn't look good and no its not good for Iowa either. Multiple coaches there have done better than that. That is worse than where Fran is at and he took over a complete dumpster fire from Lickliter. I don't see anybody call Fran a great coach.

O'Conner - .634
Miller - .643
Olsen - .562
Davis - .543
Fran - .508

Steve is battling it out with Sharm Scheuerman and Todd Lickliter as one of the worst coaches in Iowa history. Period.

Alford's conf. winning % at UCLA is only .611. You know the last time a coach at UCLA had such a low conference winning percentage?

Try Wilbur Johns in the 1940s. So yeah, like 70 years ago pre-Wooden.

Wooden
Bartow
Cunningham
Brown
Farmer
Hazzard
Harrick
Lavin
Howland

All better conf. winning % at UCLA. Even looking at recent history, Harrick, Lavin and Howland were all more successful than Alford is or ever will be.

Lavin went to 5 S16s in 7 years with an E8 and was ran out of town. Steve will be lucky to come anywhere close to matching that. I doubt UCLA gives him enough time before he gets fired, though. So, yeah. Absolutely nothing Steve is doing this year is remotely special at a place like UCLA. Every coach who's been there in the past 70 years has done as much or more. Most have done much more.

Why again should we be real impressed with that regular season winning % again?

Anything else to cherry pick?

We know you won't talk about postseason as Steve has been an epic failure in the postseason for over 2 decades now. Epic failure.

21 years as a D1 head coach
9 NCAA tournaments
3 Sweet 16s

No thank you

Alford did more at South West Missouri Sate then Crean has done in his entire career. It's common knowledge that w/o Dwayne Wade then Crean would not have that on his resume.
Comparing the two as equals is simply being ignorant to the facts or common knowledge about what a real coach brings to the game.

Funny that he's good enough to coach a blue blood team that carries more history then any other University and have them first in the country in 4 offensive categories for you Humber geeks.

Maybe just maybe he's one hell of a coach. Learned from the best, yet coaches with a bit less sarcasm and more patience.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Alford did more at South West Missouri Sate then Crean has done in his entire career. It's common knowledge that w/o Dwayne Wade then Crean would not have that on his resume.
Comparing the two as equals is simply being ignorant to the facts or common knowledge about what a real coach brings to the game.

Funny that he's good enough to coach a blue blood team that carries more history then any other University and have them first in the country in 4 offensive categories for you Humber geeks.

Maybe just maybe he's one hell of a coach. Learned from the best, yet coaches with a bit less sarcasm and more patience.
Iowa fans hate him. New Mexico fans hate him. UCLA fans hate him and still want him gone. Their defense is ranked like in the 100s. That's not going to win anything. And I'm sure that poster who loves Alford will come along shortly to justify that because the game is "evolving," but no; that's atrocious defense. No one has ever won a title with defense ranked that low.

Crean did get to a Final Four. With players he recruited. The idea is to get good players and win. That's what he did. He just doesn't do that enough. Alford did not do "more" at SW Missouri State...he has literally never been past the Sweet 16.

Again, Steve has never been past the Sweet 16 in 21 years. I like how people take away Crean's FF for having a good player, and then also want to remove an entire 9 years from Alford's resume because Iowa is "so hard to win at." They've had 4 or 5 coaches who were more consistent than him. It's based purely on emotion and nostalgia.

If he hadn't played here you'd laugh at his resume. To be honest, it seems like you're trolling at this point with the way you're drooling over his mediocre resume. Crean got us a #1 seed too. The problem is Alford never does anything in the tournament with the talent that he has. A "real" coach? One "hell of a coach?" His resume is Crean 2.0.

"Iowa, New Mexico and UCLA" all their fans hate him. Sure ok, I think you need to calibrate your reality meter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT