ADVERTISEMENT

Visitor Section Relocation

Love the ideas and add candy stripe end zones
Thanks!

In light of your support I really hate to say this but I'm a no candy stripes in Football kind of guy.... However..., if perhaps we could utilize three stripes (peaking directly behind the goal posts) in a chevron shape that at their two contact points (leg base) ended/started at the goal line where the on field hash marks begin... Looking like this: /\ ; then I'd be able to support it (which means zip, I'm just another fan among many)...

Tripped over this oldie and had an idea but it will have to be picked up by the student section and a few crazy old guys to make it work...

Imagine a very abbreviated version of this sung by a bunch of semi drunks at the top of their voice (in other words more shouted than actually sung) after every successful big play... (+25 yards)... Could even pretape a group of students singing the edited version that ended in exactly the amount of time the HC & OC wanted it to and pop it up on the Big Screen... (to kickstart the soon to be tradition)...

Cut it down to 17 seconds, or whatever is necessary to avoid interfering with our calling the next play , and we have ourselves one element of a stadium party 🎉 ...

The key would be knowing Exactly when to cut it off so we could communicate the next play easily...

Tripped over this oldie and had an idea but it will have to be picked up by the student section and a few crazy old guys to make it work...

Imagine a very abbreviated version of this sung by a bunch of semi drunks at the top of their voice (in other words more shouted than actually sung) after every successful big play... (+25 yards)... Could even pretape a group of students singing the edited version that ended in exactly the amount of time the HC & OC wanted it to and pop it up on the Big Screen... (to kickstart the soon to be tradition)...

Cut it down to 17 seconds, or whatever is necessary to avoid interfering with our calling the next play , and we have ourselves one element of a stadium party 🎉 ...

The key would be knowing Exactly when to cut it off so we could communicate the next play easily...
**Maybe the best way to avoid Offensive play calling issues would be to only sing it when when we throw or run for a 25 yard+ Touchdown... The only issue then would be not overlapping it with the Fight Song... I'd say sing it Immediately upon scoring and finish before the Extra Point team has gotten into their set position... Then the Fight Song is played immediately after the extra point...

I don't think you can force it, that type of stuff just has to kind of happen.

That's just it, I don't think a person can just make that type of thing happen. It just does. I don't think someone at Wisconsin was thinking, "I am going to make Jump Around a thing..." They just played the song and the crowd reaction made it a thing. It was organic.
semi-organic.

Someone had to decide to play the songs.

When PSU does Seven Nation Army and the whole stadium hits their spirit shakers in rhythm with the music, it was organic in the sense that nobody told them to do that. But the admin gave the stadium the ingredients.

OSU with Hang on Sloopy, same thing. They played it, fans went with it. But it wasn't organic in the sense that fans went acapella & the school caught up to them.

Bama with Dixieland Delight.

WVU with Country Roads (Take me Home).

I've been to enough piano bar shows in my day that I'm confident that there is no shortage of new or old songs that the utes of today will get down to. Sweet Caroline. Mr. Brightside. American Girl. Under Pressure. Don't Look Back in Anger. Etc. I'm not saying that any of these are necessarily "the" song. But get a playlist of songs that people organically DO sing along to when the band at a bar/party starts playing them and they WILL run with one of them. Just curate the playlist to be ones the school would want to run with too.

It's all moot though unless they win games. Because the "song" between 3rd & 4th quarters will go over like a lead balloon if the stadium only has 15,000 people left in it at that time.

For when we F up -

(The NFL may own the rights to that one [?]...)
Saw her a few years ago. She’s such a badass.

On the topic of IU screw up songs:

On our way to Maryland last season, I listened to a John Green audiobook (The Anthropocene Reviewed). He does an essay on Auld Lang Syne and talks about soldiers singing to the tune of it with lyrics changed to reflect the hopelessness of their situation.

After the classic ass whoopin that IU took that Saturday, Junior and I started to make it our thing after a tough loss.

You guys and Thunderstruck....we already play that one at every home game. Seven Nation Army as well. Jeez. Go to a game once in awhile.

You can't build a stadium anthem tradition with a half empty stadium and disinterested fans. The shirt twirling middle schoolers are more enthusiastic about their schtick than the stadium is about the game, especially pre-game.

Get some wins early, have a good season or two, and then something like that might develop.

To get back to the original post about the relocation of the visitor section.....I just wish most of the visitors would be there. I am always surrounded by them, in the front row on the SE side. Absolutely f*cking pisses me off. I sometimes go sit high up on the opposite side halfway towards the press box so i can be with IU fans. IU needs to find a way to find out who sells to them and do something about it.

To get back to the original post about the relocation of the visitor section.....I just wish most of the visitors would be there. I am always surrounded by them, in the front row on the SE side. Absolutely f*cking pisses me off. I sometimes go sit high up on the opposite side halfway towards the press box so i can be with IU fans. IU needs to find a way to find out who sells to them and do something about it.
I'd wager a guess it's the reversible jacket folks who are watching the Irish play but have IUFB season tix for the priority points.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Agreed. Huge swaths of my section get sold to opposing fans. Sometimes they are okay, but often they suck. It's annoying AF.

For close Replay analysis:

Just the chorus of "Don't let me down" 3 of 4 times...

And PLEASE show the Replay of close calls on the Big Screen (everybody else in the Big Ten does in spite of what they agree to during the summer).,,
Love it❤️

Great Beatles song
Great Beatles moment (except for the break up part)

Nice “Southern Indiana smart-ass, but polite” feel

Reactions: 76-1

The fans at Anfield singing You'll Never Walk Alone before a Liverpool match is the pinnacle of pre-match fan songs in my opinion.

Agreed. Huge swaths of my section get sold to opposing fans. Sometimes they are okay, but often they suck. It's annoying AF.
I just emailed my ticket rep. I think people that sell their tickets should LOSE priority points. In this day and age with technology how it is, surely it can be done. I think we should spearhead a movement for it. I mean, it is OUR stadium. Our stadium, our rules.

• Love
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I just emailed my ticket rep. I think people that sell their tickets should LOSE priority points. In this day and age with technology how it is, surely it can be done. I think we should spearhead a movement for it. I mean, it is OUR stadium. Our stadium, our rules.
How do we tell the difference between a guy who re-sells them, or gives them to a nephew, or to Big Brothers Big Sisters?

And while I am on my rant about electronic tickets, how do our kids put an electronic ticket stub in a “memory box” and “See this? Remember that day we went to the game with Dad?”

How do we tell the difference between a guy who re-sells them, or gives them to a nephew, or to Big Brothers Big Sisters?

And while I am on my rant about electronic tickets, how do our kids put an electronic ticket stub in a “memory box” and “See this? Remember that day we went to the game with Dad?”
There will always be the one off, sure. But the majority of visitors sitting in seats down low are because people are only buying season tickets to resell and make money. We need to weed it out, and it can't be that hard to track. It can be as simple as like, me going to my seats and the 3 people next to me are fans of the other team. I make a note of the seats - ask the guy to see his tickets to make sure he is in the right spot - and then I report it after. It's a big business, making a ton of money. Shouldn't be hard to staff people to track. Heck, you don't even need to staff extra people. With the selection process, they have it all set up digitally. All they would have to do is add some software to allow them to document that seat as it happening. And these are all season ticket holders, we are talking about.

And you can always go to the window and ask for a printed ticket. I've done that before when I've had phone issues and can't pull up my digital ticket.

There will always be the one off, sure. But the majority of visitors sitting in seats down low are because people are only buying season tickets to resell and make money. We need to weed it out, and it can't be that hard to track. It can be as simple as like, me going to my seats and the 3 people next to me are fans of the other team. I make a note of the seats - ask the guy to see his tickets to make sure he is in the right spot - and then I report it after. It's a big business, making a ton of money. Shouldn't be hard to staff people to track. Heck, you don't even need to staff extra people. With the selection process, they have it all set up digitally. All they would have to do is add some software to allow them to document that seat as it happening. And these are all season ticket holders, we are talking about.

And you can always go to the window and ask for a printed ticket. I've done that before when I've had phone issues and can't pull up my digital ticket.
I forgot to complain about how it is slower to enter the parking lot when you have to show the attendants your phone instead of a pass hanging from your mirror.

…. and Pinehurst No. 2 is hard

… and I hate onions

I love Thunderstruck. It plays in Varsity Blues when the team is hung over and making mistake after mistake while getting smashed by the other team. Might be too prophetic. There are some great untapped AC/DC tunes that would be awesome. Back in Black if we do the rumored black unis. TNT is great. For Those About To Rock Long Way to the Top, just to name a few.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
I understand your point but I think we'll find it nearly impossible to avoid duplicating usage of Football appropriate music...

Unless someone at the School of Music suddenly channels their inner Sousa and decides to write several unique pieces specifically for INDIANA FOOTBALL I think we'll need to work with what we can find that are proven crowd pleasers.,.
Play More Than a Feeling by Boston! Rock and Roll makes everyone psyched up!!!!

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
One thing they will need to do if they decide to add any music is to coordinate it with whatever Cignetti might want, or not want, in regard to getting the play called...

In most cases (like TV Timeouts or Intro and Exit music it's a non-issue (aside from having the common sense to stop playing it when the Offense takes the field) but any in between play rifs will need to be carefully vetted with the Coaching Staff before it's utilized (in my opinion)...

Conversely, it would be great to be able to continue playing the DEFENSE's intro for as long as is legally possible without getting a flag...

Here's another possibility (to glean a few seconds of decent sound from) maybe for the Defense during the game closest to Halloween 🎃:

Not exactly what you think of as Football Music but I heard bits of it played at Penn St. home game a few years back and it sounded pretty cool...

Basically if they can't find a decent 15 or 20 seconds of great sound from a Hans Zimmer theme song they just aren't trying...

Here's another one that might have a few seconds of useable music:

Last edited:
Here's another option for Cignetti's intro, you'd have to chop it up pretty good but I'm fairly certain we could find a useable minute to highlight him a bit during warmups... (showing scenes of him coaching with the music as a backdrop)...:

Adding him saying: "Just Google Me" to the end of it would probably get some wry chuckles and big time applause...

Might want to save that one until he wins 7 however...

Might even be able to surprise him with it...( which would be pretty funny)... I doubt he spends much time on here...

These would be perfect fits for -

Near the end of the Western Illinois game (1 minute left... (since the next game is at UCLA):

And Before the Charlotte game (if we've Won the UCLA game):

😎

Reactions: 82IU and vesuvius13
Well since so many have made suggestions, I almost feel obligated to contribute.

Supposedly IU basically has 360-degree video coverage in Memorial Stadium; so, if I was a media-type student at IU, I’d suggest aggregating various-angle clips of IU players making crushing tackles. Then during some dead time in each game, I’d cue up Sly and the Family Stone’s “Higher” and play the opening six seconds to cue the students and other fans that it's time to look at the scoreboard video and get ready to “ooh” and “aah.” Then, in the interest of saving time, I’d skip the song’s lyrics a bit until you get to the “BOOM, laka-laka-laka, BOOM laka-laka-laka,” with each “BOOM” synchronized with video of the crushing hits from various angles, as many angles as the stoppage in play allows. New crushing tackles could be added to the video as they occur throughout the season (in real time ideally, if the media wiz kids are that good).
Edit: You could also overlay a Batman-style "BOOM!!" here and there, if desired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT