ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Opening a $80,000,000 Football Operations Center

The arms race is relentless. From what we are seeing Indiana intends to be competitive
Our offices and meeting rooms and weight room are very competitive. I assume our food and study rooms are at least equal, maybe better. Our outdoor practice fields are … outdoor practice fields. Mellencamp is fine. Full length.

Our next goal should be making sure the seats are full. That requires a LOT more “care and feeding” of clients, er, fans.

The wisest long-term plan for the era of competitive big time professional pay-for-play college football would be a new stadium - I’d do a small and luxurious dome. Our weather sucks. Modern seating. MODERN LEG ROOM. Modern suites. Modern IT. No oppressive heat. No bitter cold. Only enough seats to STAY full. Home field advantage. (Empty seats in Memorial Stadium, showing stark gray concrete, look worse than sucking chest wounds.) Suites mid-level so MUCH closer to field than our current suites.

Our offices and meeting rooms and weight room are very competitive. I assume our food and study rooms are at least equal, maybe better. Our outdoor practice fields are … outdoor practice fields. Mellencamp is fine. Full length.

Our next goal should be making sure the seats are full. That requires a LOT more “care and feeding” of clients, er, fans.

The wisest long-term plan for the era of competitive big time professional pay-for-play college football would be a new stadium - I’d do a small and luxurious dome. Our weather sucks. Modern seating. MODERN LEG ROOM. Modern suites. Modern IT. No oppressive heat. No bitter cold. Only enough seats to STAY full. Home field advantage. (Empty seats in Memorial Stadium, showing stark gray concrete, look worse than sucking chest wounds.) Suites mid-level so MUCH closer to field than our current suites.

I think the days of an empty stadium are over due to a combination of a staff that knows how to win, improved concessions this year. better publicity for football. I expect to see full stands early on and later with a winning streak happening.

IU has a good chance to start filling Memorial Stadium.

We only need ~8-10K more per game. That’s not too hard if we flash some improvement with this new staff. More people will come in from tailgating. The Indy area likes IU and college FB and once people realize the team is actually decent they will come down for what is a pretty great college football setting in terms of stadium, surrounding area, and town.

I like the optimism. Of course, history on this board always shows incredible (unrealistic) optimism this time of year. Gotta say though, I'm fully on board the CCC hype train this year. Dude just seems to know what it'll take. Can't quite get my GF to join the fun yet, even though I am committed to nabbing one of the new suites.

IU has a good chance to start filling Memorial Stadium.

We only need ~8-10K more per game. That’s not too hard if we flash some improvement with this new staff. More people will come in from tailgating. The Indy area likes IU and college FB and once people realize the team is actually decent they will come down for what is a pretty great college football setting in terms of stadium, surrounding area, and town.
I’m hoping I-69 completion really opens up Bloomington. An easy drive to the stadium matters.

I’m hoping I-69 completion really opens up Bloomington. An easy drive to the stadium matters.
Good point. Once you clear Greenwood now, it's a breeze. Seems like we've had road restrictions complete with detours, barrels, cones, and all sorts of nonsense that magically starts right around August for as long as I remember.

Weight room, meeting rooms, locker room, offices
93,000,000 square feet
Next to existing indoor and outdoor practice facilities

Delayed by COVID, but pretty good timing - on the cusp of NIL, pay-for-play, ACC break up incoming

Invite them into the Big 20

BUILD THE ELI-LILLY/CUBAN DOME!
Not a deep dive, but the most recent things I’ve seen regarding ACC teams is FSU and Clemson to B1G, with UNC and Virginia to the SEC.

93,000,000 square feet

Delayed by COVID, but pretty good timing - on the cusp of NIL, pay-for-play, ACC break up incoming

93,000,000 square feet

1) I bet if they could do it all over again, UVA would use a big chunk of that $80M for NIL instead of facilities. The era of competing for recruits with facilities is likely not over, but I think you will have more success landing and retaining superior talent by putting $$ in kids pockets instead of spending it on facilities.
2) I do think facility investments that drive ROI via selling more tickets can be a winner…but the first priority should be spending on creating a superior football team.

Bloomington weather sucks?! I live in northern Indiana 33 miles from the Meatchicken border. I'd let my wife have double her allowance for weather enjoyed by Bloomington. Have no idea how many IUFB games I've attended for half century + and I can count on 1 hand the # of times it was inclement and still have digits to count. On the other hand I've been to the stadium of the Fighting Irish 8-12 times and half have made me wish I'd stayed in the hotel. Bloomington has damn fine weather for outdoor sports.

Good point. Once you clear Greenwood now, it's a breeze. Seems like we've had road restrictions complete with detours, barrels, cones, and all sorts of nonsense that magically starts right around August for as long as I remember.
They'll probably still find a way to bottle neck things up by dragging out the work up at the 465 interchange...

1) I bet if they could do it all over again, UVA would use a big chunk of that $80M for NIL instead of facilities. The era of competing for recruits with facilities is likely not over, but I think you will have more success landing and retaining superior talent by putting $$ in kids pockets instead of spending it on facilities.
2) I do think facility investments that drive ROI via selling more tickets can be a winner…but the first priority should be spending on creating a superior football team.
NIL seems to be the best bang for the buck for us as you said. Players like cash over marginally fancier facilities, and a good team will generate ticket/sponsor revenue with our existing stadium and create appealing ROIs for stadium projects.

Not a deep dive, but the most recent things I’ve seen regarding ACC teams is FSU and Clemson to B1G, with UNC and Virginia to the SEC.
Not so long ago . . . and maybe just a wee bit still . . . that split would seem very odd from an academic standpoint. But, outside the STEM fields, how does the word "academic(s)" even apply to most universities nowadays?

Bloomington weather sucks?! I live in northern Indiana 33 miles from the Meatchicken border. I'd let my wife have double her allowance for weather enjoyed by Bloomington. Have no idea how many IUFB games I've attended for half century + and I can count on 1 hand the # of times it was inclement and still have digits to count. On the other hand I've been to the stadium of the Fighting Irish 8-12 times and half have made me wish I'd stayed in the hotel. Bloomington has damn fine weather for outdoor sports.
I want 52 degree sweater-weather, overcast, no wind - every game. No sunburn. No rain gear.

93,000,000 square feet

It’s time to rename Indiana University and put all of the money into NIL. How about this: The Eli Lilly bison?

Reactions: vesuvius13
It’s time to rename Indiana University and put all of the money into NIL. How about this: The Eli Lilly bison?
If you want a bison connection, go with BW3s
Buffalo-Wild-Wings-Logo.png

After thinking about this far longer than I should have, my sponsor choice would be Red Solo Cups. Red Solo cups have a natural tie-in with college students and the tailgate crowd. Call Memorial Stadium "Big Red" Solo Cup Stadium, affectionately known as the Red Solo Cup. Would be easy to stamp Indiana, Hoosiers, etc. into the side of the cups which could be used at the stadium, sold all over Indiana, etc. Perhaps they could candy stripe the cups. In addition, you could play Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup song between quarters. I'm honestly very fired up about the potential of this.

Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
(pack the Rock!)
Let's have a party
Let's have a party

Last edited:
They'll probably still find a way to bottle neck things up by dragging out the work up at the 465 interchange...
Oh, there’s still a ton of work to be done at the 465 interchange. Both directions are very complex and expensive. But there is clear progress being made and workers out there nearly 24/7. It will get done and it’ll be awesome. Just hope I’m still here to see it. 😉

The NCAA is allowing ads on the field now. And adding a sponsor to our stadium name wouldn’t get much pushback. Will be interesting if Dolson can get some sponsors for the stadium and/or field — it all hits the bottom line for the athletic dept.
After all this is 2k24 and fast approaching "25", "26", "27". Ponder and plan outside the paradigm. The HOOSIERS Solo Cup is a great example.

The Hoosier Dome (aka Lucas Oil Stadium) seems like a cavern and it only holds 65k or so (I think). And when IU plays there, it's worse because they don't draw well, even in Indy.

Charlotte is wanting $650 million for improvements only on their 65k outdoor stadium. And that's from the city. I doubt we could build a 50k seat stadium for that nowdays.

I wonder if the Foundation has a capital fund that could maybe finance a new stadium years from now?

The Hoosier Dome (aka Lucas Oil Stadium) seems like a cavern and it only holds 65k or so (I think). And when IU plays there, it's worse because they don't draw well, even in Indy.

Charlotte is wanting $650 million for improvements only on their 65k outdoor stadium. And that's from the city. I doubt we could build a 50k seat stadium for that nowdays.

I wonder if the Foundation has a capital fund that could maybe finance a new stadium years from now?
I’d go with 40,000. Make it a hot ticket. That is plenty for the actual football fans, and will keep the tailgaters outside and streaming it on satellite. Give me room to stretch out.

After thinking about this far longer than I should have, my sponsor choice would be Red Solo Cups. Red Solo cups have a natural tie-in with college students and the tailgate crowd. Call Memorial Stadium "Big Red" Solo Cup Stadium, affectionately known as the Red Solo Cup. Would be easy to stamp Indiana, Hoosiers, etc. into the side of the cups which could be used at the stadium, sold all over Indiana, etc. Perhaps they could candy stripe the cups. In addition, you could play Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup song between quarters. I'm honestly very fired up about the potential of this.

Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
(pack the Rock!)
Let's have a party
Let's have a party
Since plastic is known to reduce testosterone levels not
sure that is a good idea for a football crowd. jk

Not so long ago . . . and maybe just a wee bit still . . . that split would seem very odd from an academic standpoint. But, outside the STEM fields, how does the word "academic(s)" even apply to most universities nowadays?
Right. A little over a year (or so) ago the thought regarding who’s going where, was opposite. Largely due to what you mentioned.

Last edited:
Oh, there’s still a ton of work to be done at the 465 interchange. Both directions are very complex and expensive. But there is clear progress being made and workers out there nearly 24/7. It will get done and it’ll be awesome. Just hope I’m still here to see it. 😉
Hate to add to the "not so fast" comments on traffic to the stadium, but they just started work on the bypass that will at least partially extend through football season (Nov). So two steps forward and three steps back. All of your alternate routes will still be in play because the traffic blockade is still in effect. INDOT vehicles may as well be painted black and gold.

Last edited:
Since plastic is known to reduce testosterone levels not
sure that is a good idea for a football crowd. jk
Almost too late to worry about it... Our bodies are chock full of the stuff...

I'm old enough to remember actually buying into the (BS) plastic over paper argument ("to save the environment")... What a crock... Think anyone's going to ever apologize for that move???

That's one reason why I question literally everything that has overwhelming hype behind it these days...

I have more thoughts on that topic but **we'll need to move it to the Watercooler** for me to expand on it... (the absolute Certainty that Solar Energy and Electric Vehicles are The answer [without examining the long term consequences of going primarily with both, in terms of poisoning the environment further with all the attendant waste, not to mention the inability to handle surges, vehicle range and no grid infrastructure for nationally deployed charging stations issues ] comes immediately to mind)...

Last edited:
Almost too late to worry about it... Our bodies are chock full of the stuff...

I'm old enough to remember actually buying into the (BS) plastic over paper argument ("to save the environment")... What a crock... Think anyone's going to ever apologize for that move???

That's one reason why I question literally everything that has overwhelming hype behind it these days...

I have more thoughts on that topic but **we'll need to move it to the Watercooler** for me to expand on it... (the absolute Certainty that Solar Energy and Electric Vehicles are The answer [without examining the long term consequences of going primarily with both, in terms of poisoning the environment further with all the attendant waste, not to mention the inability to handle surges, vehicle range and no grid infrastructure for nationally deployed charging stations issues ] comes immediately to mind)...
I stand proudly side by side as Co-Sceptic in Chief.

On the topic of spending in college FB, this is pretty pathetic and tacky marketing from Texas.
If you're talking about the Lamborghinis in the parking lot video (my phone is old won't pick up about 90% of the linked social media, used to get X links bu no longer...).

I'm of the opinion that while ultra-crass their actions just represent the reality of college football..., and whether the players receive a base pay, form a union..., or whatever else happens..., the fact is that the perineal top 10 or 15 teams will continue to buy the top players above or below the table...

Having everything above board now is fine with me... At least we now know exactly who and what we're competing against.

In this market it's a simple choice: Do we wish to compete or not...? That question can be answered from the individual fan all the way up to the Governer of the state (who appoints more than half of the Board of Trustees)...

I’d go with 40,000. Make it a hot ticket. That is plenty for the actual football fans, and will keep the tailgaters outside and streaming it on satellite. Give me room to stretch out.
I'm afraid 40k is just not enough to be considered big league. I like the 53k we have now. Purdue seems to downsize the number of sets with each remodel.

As with Assembly Hall, if we had to build another stadium, the new building codes and requirements would move fans farther away from the field, I'm afraid.

I think, if we're going to do anything to MS, it's to build suites on the east side, preferably along the top, imo. Maybe an overhang to block the sun a little. It didn't bother me that much as a student, but the sun is brutal on the East side. Or play more late afternoon/evening games, but that's run by the league.

When did weather errect a football game at IU? Leave it outdoor in my opinion. I’d rather see an investment on media connectivity. Biggest impact to fan base on game day along with food improvements. I’d rather they take a quarter of the cost for a new facility and be the largest NIL College each year. Buy it

I’m now living in Gainesville Fl. A couple weeks ago a Gator football player was arrested after a hit and run where he was clocked at 150 mph. Xavier Johnson barely got up to 90 mph. How are the Hoosiers going to compete with such a NIL discrepancy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT