ADVERTISEMENT

Very telling

I agree. He's very tough to stop inside 10 feet and will require teams to adapt. In the right situation he'll do well. Though he's got a significant downside on defense.
He has basically never guarded anything other than the basket: the NBA is a tough place to start doing this. His game on offense has been shooting 2 ft shots over shorter defenders and the whistles advantage: good luck with that in the NBA.

Nobody hated how games were called with Edey more than me, but remind me again how many NPOY awards Tacko Fall and Isaac Haas had? C'mon Man. I agree, he'll have some challenges, but I remember many, many folks (maybe you?) on here talking about how Edey couldn't play more than 25 minutes a game, couldn't get up and down the floor, etc... The defensive 3 seconds and 24 second shot clock will be a challenge, but he'll work on it and adapt, as he has each year I've been aware of what a Zach Edey is. He's progressed a ton and I think he'll stick. We'll see.
Problem is NPOY is not a great predictor. College game is still so different than the NBA.

Problem is NPOY is not a great predictor. College game is still so different than the NBA.
Look at the list of skills I listed and tell me which ones you disagree with, and if you agree, tell me how you don't think those things translate to the NBA. I'm not saying he's going to be a star, or maybe even a starter, but to me the NBA is about mismatches and at worst, imo, you can stash him on the bench and know you have a card in your hand to play that will win some tricks, that most other teams don't have. I think he'll be in the NBA for 10 years, barring injury.

Look at the list of skills I listed and tell me which ones you disagree with, and if you agree, tell me how you don't think those things translate to the NBA. I'm not saying he's going to be a star, or maybe even a starter, but to me the NBA is about mismatches and at worst, imo, you can stash him on the bench and know you have a card in your hand to play that will win some tricks, that most other teams don't have. I think he'll be in the NBA for 10 years, barring injury.
He isn't a starter in the NBA. He can't guard outside the lane, so he's a crazy mismatch when he's supposed to guard a 5 that shoots 3's. He needs 2-3' proximity to the basket to score, and getting that in the NBA will be much harder. He has no jumper, and spacing is paramount in the NBA. He is 7'4" though. He can shoot FT's. He can rebound. For him to last 10 years in the NBA, he will require a team that sees him as a change of pace 5 with the 2nd unit. 10-15 minutes a game. That's his ceiling. His best hope is to get drafted by Toronto and become a Canadian cult hero up there.

Reactions: kkott
Updated CBS top25+1 poll (5/3):
12 Purdue, up 6 spots
14 OSU
17 The IU Mercs, you go little bro
20 UCLA
22 Rutgers
24 MSU
26 Oregon

If you have to Google it, you don't know who or what the hell it is!
My Grandma used to say, "When you get too big for your britches sonny,
not long before you be a trrippin over 'em.
...and so The Smoking Man era begins at Jam Mad West
We'll be down there soon enough to give you your comeuppance.

New IU terms:
IU FBall - Jam Mad West
IU BBall - The IU Mercs

Just wanna keep you little bros updated.

Good day!

He isn't a starter in the NBA. He can't guard outside the lane, so he's a crazy mismatch when he's supposed to guard a 5 that shoots 3's. He needs 2-3' proximity to the basket to score, and getting that in the NBA will be much harder. He has no jumper, and spacing is paramount in the NBA. He is 7'4" though. He can shoot FT's. He can rebound. For him to last 10 years in the NBA, he will require a team that sees him as a change of pace 5 with the 2nd unit. 10-15 minutes a game. That's his ceiling. His best hope is to get drafted by Toronto and become a Canadian cult hero up there.
I don't know. I agree with you that's his most likely path, but I also think if surrounded by the right pieces, he could start. I would imagine whichever it is, that team will need to have a ready-made perimeter 5 plan opposite him on the bench, because there will probably be times he'll need to come out vs certain matchups. Yes, he scores most of his baskets close in, but he screens all over and his passing has improved, just as TJD's did. To me, he's only anchored to the paint defensively and that isn't even a problem when a team zones, as every NBA team does now. He provides many of the same benefits as TJD and I think both's primary contributions are, or will be, non-scoring.

Remember a guy named Mark Eaton? Immobile big who started for years in Utah. I know the game is very different, but as I said with zones, some of those changes I believe might help Edey, while others will be a challenge.

12 Purdue, up 6 spots
14 OSU
20 UCLA
22 Rutgers
24 MSU
26 Oregon

New IU terms:
IU FBall - Jam Mad West
IU BBall - The IU Mercs

Good day!
laughing, and pointing, just so you know. At least you pretty well accept you're nothing but a troll!

PU: back to winning all things not in the tourney! Congrats!

I don't know. I agree with you that's his most likely path, but I also think if surrounded by the right pieces, he could start. I would imagine whichever it is, that team will need to have a ready-made perimeter 5 plan opposite him on the bench, because there will probably be times he'll need to come out vs certain matchups. Yes, he scores most of his baskets close in, but he screens all over and his passing has improved, just as TJD's did. To me, he's only anchored to the paint defensively and that isn't even a problem when a team zones, as every NBA team does now. He provides many of the same benefits as TJD and I think both's primary contributions are, or will be, non-scoring.

Remember a guy named Mark Eaton? Immobile big who started for years in Utah. I know the game is very different, but as I said with zones, some of those changes I believe might help Edey, while others will be a challenge.
He screens well, sure, but he can't be involved in the pick and pop game at all bcause he has no jumper. He can only pick and roll to the basket. He's extremely limited offensively. What he can do, he does at a very high level. However, the list of what he can't do is much longer. Which NBA team can you picture building a team around him? I can't think of a single team he could start for in the NBA?

Let's look at the Pacers, cause I know them the best. He has zero shot at starting over Myles Turner. He would be a horrible fit for the up tempo offense they run. He would have trouble even seeing the floor unless there were injuries. He'd be a horrible pick for the Pacers.

Good point-Toronto would be a great location for him.

I think you'll be the one who's disappointed. I think he'll play for a very long time in the NBA barring injury. Willing screener, shot blocker, rim protector, rebounder and reliable low post scorer and FT shooter. He may never be a star, but he'll get a lot of minutes for a long time, imo. But, I am usually terrible at picking NBA success, so you can hope!

Watching that Pacers close out game against the Bucks, I don't see where Edey would have played in that one.

NBA regular season a different animal with players, 10-12 starters and bench, going three quarter speed at best till the last 6-8 min.

12 Purdue, up 6 spots
14 OSU
20 UCLA
22 Rutgers
24 MSU
26 Oregon

New IU terms:
IU FBall - Jam Mad West
IU BBall - The IU Mercs

Good day!
The 1 constant about West Lafayette it is so natural understanding where BS comes from.

Reactions: indiana ed and 76-1
laughing, and pointing, just so you know. At least you pretty well accept you're nothing but a troll!

PU: back to winning all things not in the tourney! Congrats!
That dude lives on here: how do you call somebody little bro without actually calling them little bro?

Nobody who follows the Big Ten, who's seen Purdue fall assbackwards into much of their success the last two seasons, would take that bet.

Appreciate the humor though.
well, I think you're talking about 2 different things: he's talking about preseason predictions and I'd agree, they are likely to be picked to win the B10... again, just shows the impact of Edey, he's influencing things in a season in which he's gone. I think many of the "experts" still haven't put together how average, or even below average, Purdue was in the NC outside of Edey. Take away UCONN's best player and maybe then win by 10 instead of 20 whatever. Take away Edey and Purdue gets doubled up. At some point those realizations will catch up with PU and the experts, I believe, but for now, let them have the last little ray of sunshine Edey can provide: they're still the top ranked B10 team 6 months before the season starts! Hang a banner!

Nobody who follows the Big Ten, who's seen Purdue fall assbackwards into much of their success the last two seasons, would take that bet.

Appreciate the humor though.
I'll reference again that every major top 25 had Purdue as the highest ranked Big Ten 10 team. All between as low as 7th, as high as 12th. Nothing humorous about stating facts... but I guess a group of people who stated that Gabe Cupps was a better prospect than Braden Smith will continue to amaze us with their basketball knowledge.

It’s more about limitations that teams exploit than his skills. Hes a one trick pony on offense and defense. Watching the playoffs I just don’t see a mismatch he could exploit. If teams take 35 shots from 3 and hit 36-40% he’s a huge liability. We will see. This draft is pretty weak and will help him get a good first contact regardless.

I'll reference again that every major top 25 had Purdue as the highest ranked Big Ten 10 team. All between as low as 7th, as high as 12th. Nothing humorous about stating facts... but I guess a group of people who stated that Gabe Cupps was a better prospect than Braden Smith will continue to amaze us with their basketball knowledge.
Liar. One guy said Cupps was better not a group of guys. So stfu.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We're never disappointed.
PUke is and always will be PUke.

I don't know why everyone is so hung up on what edey may or may not do in the nba. Who cares. I'm glad he's gone from the big ten. He took advantage of the way they call the game and unless that changed pu was hard to beat with him.

Painter will have them competitive next year. With what IU has coming in, hopefully Woodson and his assistants can figure it out and no one will be talking about pu anymore.

Liar. One guy said Cupps was better not a group of guys. So stfu.
Actually I have a friend who knows Eric Biancardi and he felt he indicated Cupps was a more athletic Braden Smith. Now that was during Braden's freshman year, and I think he took a big jump from freshman to sophomore seasons, but I think there was a general feeling from many that Cupps was going to be better than Smith or that was his floor, at least at that time. Give Braden credit, he's continued to improve his play.

Actually I have a friend who knows Eric Biancardi and he felt he indicated Cupps was a more athletic Braden Smith. Now that was during Braden's freshman year, and I think he took a big jump from freshman to sophomore seasons, but I think there was a general feeling from many that Cupps was going to be better than Smith or that was his floor, at least at that time. Give Braden credit, he's continued to improve his play.
I can only speak for myself but when I watched Cupps’ high school video it put me in the mind of when I watched Landers’ high school video. He was better than Landers but my reaction was still-What? Both had strength and shooting issues. With Cupps I can only think that people often react to who he is as a person rather than who he is as a bball player. The remaining question is how much he will develop and time will tell.

The video with Lebron provided cachet with some people but for me just the opposite. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockway
I don’t remember but a very select few who thought that and if they did they aren’t anyone I would listen to. You mean Paul?

I don’t remember but a very select few who thought that and if they did they aren’t anyone I would listen to. You mean Paul?
Yeah, sorry, didn't research his name, and that's how little I keep track of the "gurus". It didn't seem a ridiculous thought at the time with Gabe's success at the HS and AAU levels. I still think he's going to be fine, and that Smith has really exceeded expectations. Still think his life gets a lot harder and shooting and assist #s slip without big Zach around.

Smith and Loyer are extremely limited athletically. You can’t fix what they lack in the weight room. No longer having a 7”4” mountain in the middle will leave them exposed, on both offense and defense. They’re tough, gritty, and battle tested veterans though, so Purdue won’t fall off a cliff. It’s also tough to win in WL so they’ll be a tourney team. If they finish in the top 4 of the BT, then the conference will suck next season

• Wow
Reactions: Zero Credibility
Smith and Loyer are extremely limited athletically. You can’t fix what they lack in the weight room. No longer having a 7”4” mountain in the middle will leave them exposed, on both offense and defense. They’re tough, gritty, and battle tested veterans though, so Purdue won’t fall off a cliff. It’s also tough to win in WL so they’ll be a tourney team. If they finish in the top 4 of the BT, then the conference will suck next season
I hope they suck, but they won't. Painter is going to have to transition away from Edey ball, but he's shown a willingness and ability to dramatically alter his style and focus multiple times in his time at Purdue.

I think they'll be a lot more erratic this year, than they have in years past. But Smith is going to be really good still, TKR and Furst will be solid bigs. And then they'll have some decent athleticism and versatilty on the wing with Colvin, Catchings, Heide.

I would guess they'll struggle on the road a little more. And they'll get caught at home more than they have in recent years. But they'll still win enough to compete near or at the top of the conference.

If they get multiple wings to "hit" out of Colvin, Catchings, Heide, and Benter...they could push back to a top 10ish level team at some point in the next 2 years. But obviously they'll look a lot different.

Its astonishing to me how much better Woody made our roster than theirs, in a little over a month. But getting our group to play as well as Purdue likely will, that's a pretty big question mark.

Unfortunately, Painter has been good to very good for most of the last 18 years. They will of course take a step back without Lurch, but they aren’t going anywhere.

I hope they suck, but they won't. Painter is going to have to transition away from Edey ball, but he's shown a willingness and ability to dramatically alter his style and focus multiple times in his time at Purdue.

I think they'll be a lot more erratic this year, than they have in years past. But Smith is going to be really good still, TKR and Furst will be solid bigs. And then they'll have some decent athleticism and versatilty on the wing with Colvin, Catchings, Heide.

I would guess they'll struggle on the road a little more. And they'll get caught at home more than they have in recent years. But they'll still win enough to compete near or at the top of the conference.

If they get multiple wings to "hit" out of Colvin, Catchings, Heide, and Benter...they could push back to a top 10ish level team at some point in the next 2 years. But obviously they'll look a lot different.

Its astonishing to me how much better Woody made our roster than theirs, in a little over a month. But getting our group to play as well as Purdue likely will, that's a pretty big question mark.
I was following along and then you lost me with the Furst statement. The most amazing thing about him is that he didn't enter the portal this spring.

I concur that Smith has shown that many underestimated him. Loyer, not so much.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I was following along and then you lost me with the Furst statement. The most amazing thing about him is that he didn't enter the portal this spring.

I concur that Smith has shown that many underestimated him. Loyer, not so much.
Furst played more two years ago, when Edey wasn't able to play as many minutes. And he showed some promise.

With Gillis and TKR's emergence, and Edey playing 30 ish minutes a game, there just wasn't a lot of opportunity for him.

He'll be a solid big this year, I'm sure. Nothing great, not All B10 or anything, but solid.

Loyer will play early on, but for Purdue to "reemerge" as a nationally prominent program, their more capable guys like Colvin and then a couple of the frosh, are going to have to eat a decent amount of his minutes. If Loyer is starting, and playing close to 30 minutes, Purdue will not have met their ceiling.

Furst played more two years ago, when Edey wasn't able to play as many minutes. And he showed some promise.

With Gillis and TKR's emergence, and Edey playing 30 ish minutes a game, there just wasn't a lot of opportunity for him.

He'll be a solid big this year, I'm sure. Nothing great, not All B10 or anything, but solid.

Loyer will play early on, but for Purdue to "reemerge" as a nationally prominent program, their more capable guys like Colvin and then a couple of the frosh, are going to have to eat a decent amount of his minutes. If Loyer is starting, and playing close to 30 minutes, Purdue will not have met their ceiling.

I wasn't impressed with Furst's play two years ago. He's looked like the typical IHSAA 2A guy who could dominate in HS and struggles against higher level competition. Who knows what Painter plans to do? Are you thinking Kaufman plays the 5 and Furst backs him up there? I guess I expect to see a fair amount of the guy they Redshirted at the 5.

my point wasn't that it was. My point was that Edey was a WAY better college player than Fall or Haas and sure seems to have way more NBA interest at this point if draft predictions are to be believed.

12 Purdue, up 6 spots
14 OSU
20 UCLA
22 Rutgers
24 MSU
26 Oregon

New IU terms:
IU FBall - Jam Mad West
IU BBall - The IU Mercs

Good day!
Dumb

Get ready for Edey to suck ass in the NBA.
You used to constantly post that he would never make the NBA. From your post, it seems that you have backed off that previous prediction. And before that you posted that he would never be drafted. Always sure, often wrong.

Last edited:
You used to constantly post that he would never make the NBA. From your post, it seems that you have backed off that previous prediction. And before that you posted that he would never be drafted. Always sure, often wrong.
Your position is Edey won't suck ass? Good luck with that.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Your position is Edey won't suck ass? Good luck with that.
Don't play games. You are making things up. I made no prediction about Edey except for the likelihood based upon the NBA mock drafts and your post which essentially acknowledged that he would be drafted. After all, you can't suck in the NBA if you are not in the NBA and you know that you posted that he would never be drafted and never "sniff" the NBA.

You also used to post over and over that Purdue would never make a Final Four. We know how that prediction turned out.

Please do not pretend that you did not make those predictions many times on this board.

Given your history, you would be wise to stay away from the online betting sites.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT