ADVERTISEMENT

UVerse, anybody got, need reviews.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
looking to dump Comcrap, (is it even possible to have worse impression of a company), no line of sight for a dish, so wondering about UVerse.

is the HD pic as good or better than cable?

does it ever freeze up?

how well does the dvr work?

downsides, upsides.

enquiring minds want to know.

looking to dump Comcrap, (is it even possible to have worse impression of a company), no line of sight for a dish, so wondering about UVerse.

does it ever freeze up?

downsides, upsides.

I've had for three years ... left Time Warner.

HD picture is better than cable

Picture freeze is rare, but have experienced with wireless boxes a few times. Hard wired boxes have been fine.

DVR is great ... never come close to using the storage and it's "whole house" access

I live in NC, so nice thing for me is I now get all the Reds games through Fox Sports channels (extra sports package).

The on demand features are pretty strong as well ... all in all pretty good. My only wish is that they would upgrade the internet speed.

[QUOTE="IUAPEX, post: 2148270, member: 2638"

Picture freeze is rare, but have experienced with wireless boxes a few times. Hard wired boxes have been fine..[/QUOTE]
Have them hardwire at least your 2 main tvs if there is any distance/walls/floors between them. That solved all my problems and I have no complaints now.

does it ever freeze up?

downsides, upsides.

AT&T is pushing DirecTV and trying to phase out their U-Verse product.

I've had U-Verse since 2011 and really like it. HOWEVER... the most important thing is how close you are to the hub you're connected to. For example, when I had it at my house and my last apartment, I rarely had any issues.

In my current apartment, I have issues somewhat regularly, although they are not major.

It's a pipe into the home, so the fundamental technology is the same as cable. Don't let anyone tell you differently, and if they do, they are idiots.

I worked in the cable industry for 10 years so I know about this stuff. Nothing beats cable (pipe into the home) in terms of reliability. Nothing. If someone has issues with their cable service, it's because they have a problem with the install or someone is stealing cable close to them, degrading the service.

But, yes, U-Verse is a great product.

I've had U-Verse since 2011 and really like it. HOWEVER... the most important thing is how close you are to the hub you're connected to. For example, when I had it at my house and my last apartment, I rarely had any issues.

In my current apartment, I have issues somewhat regularly, although they are not major.

It's a pipe into the home, so the fundamental technology is the same as cable. Don't let anyone tell you differently, and if they do, they are idiots.

I worked in the cable industry for 10 years so I know about this stuff. Nothing beats cable (pipe into the home) in terms of reliability. Nothing. If someone has issues with their cable service, it's because they have a problem with the install or someone is stealing cable close to them, degrading the service.

We went with U-Verse when we moved and we love it. The due that did the install pushed DirecTV - hard. "Why didn't you go with DirecTV?" Because we had TV and I got sick of listening to my wife complain when the picture went out when it rained or snowed. And we wanted you to, you know, have a job.

Reactions: C-$
Also have had Uverse for last 5 years. It's been great. We are moving and I was pissed it wasn't available at the new house. So stuck with going back to Comcast.

Uverse internet speeds haven't been near as good as cable, I'll say that is the only neg.

thanks for the replies,

had forgotten about the "distance from the hub" thing, and no idea the distance where i am now. (will look around for the brown ATT enclosure).

as for cable reliability, imo, most issues by far are with the converter box, rather than the infrastructure.. (the box that no one should be forced to rent, but that's a govt for sale thing).

have had both UVerse and Comcast internet, and ATT was more reliable.

as for speeds, most speeds today are ridiculously beyond what most people need who aren't gamers or running a business out of their home.

HD video does great with 6 meg or less, and 4k only needs like 25 iirc. (not that i have anything 4k yet).

beyond me why anyone other than gamers needs more than 25 for personal use, (if anywhere near that), and i really hate how the industry has perverted prices so everyone who doesn't want some beyond ridiculous speed has to subsidize the cost for those that do.

Comcast basically forces you into their 70 meg speed if you bundle it with anything else, and virtually nobody needs anywhere near that. (probably 10 times what many people need).

thanks for the replies,

had forgotten about the "distance from the hub" thing, and no idea the distance where i am now. (will look around for the brown ATT enclosure).

as for cable reliability, imo, most issues by far are with the converter box, rather than the infrastructure.. (the box that no one should be forced to rent, but that's a govt for sale thing).

have had both UVerse and Comcast internet, and ATT was more reliable.

as for speeds, most speeds today are ridiculously beyond what most people need who aren't gamers or running a business out of their home.

HD video does great with 6 meg or less, and 4k only needs like 25 iirc. (not that i have anything 4k yet).

beyond me why anyone other than gamers needs more than 25 for personal use, (if anywhere near that), and i really hate how the industry has perverted prices so everyone who doesn't want some beyond ridiculous speed has to subsidize the cost for those that do.

Comcast basically forces you into their 70 meg speed if you bundle it with anything else, and virtually nobody needs anywhere near that. (probably 10 times what many people need).
AT&T Fiber is out now...check on that for Internet in your area. Gig speed for $100, not bad.

As others have said, distance to the hub is critical. We are borderline, so we have some occasional issues with reliability. They are very responsive from a service perspective, so there is that.

I was negotiating my last contract and they kept pushing Direct TV. They even threw in a Free landline. Yes, a landline. Talk about offering something that is completely worthless - I got rid of mine over 5 years ago.

Direct TV is unreliable in weather - it just is.

Direct TV is unreliable in weather - it just is.[/QUOTE]

I hear that a lot, but I lost cable service through Time Warner in bad weather more often than I have Direct TV. don't know why or the workings behind that, but it's a fact. Of course in deep south Texas I don't have to worry about snow, and while we can have some heavy rain and storms, the aren't that often. Of course if we get a hurricane it really doesn't matter what service I have.

Comcast is proving to be junk....and I think it has more to do with their X1 boxes than anything. They seem extremely finicky with signal strength. The internet works great. The big DVR box works great. The little shitty X1 boxes for supplementary TVs are garbage. Techs tell you signal is fine, shouldn't be a problem. Still garbage. Freezing up all the time.

5 years of Uverse and could count freezes/outages on one hand.

Last edited:
I hear that a lot, but I lost cable service through Time Warner in bad weather more often than I have Direct TV. don't know why or the workings behind that, but it's a fact. Of course in deep south Texas I don't have to worry about snow, and while we can have some heavy rain and storms, the aren't that often. Of course if we get a hurricane it really doesn't matter what service I have.

Same here. I lost service in bad weather more often with time warner than direct tv. Also TWC customer service was beyond awful.[/QUOTE]

Did you just respond to yourself?

Well done.

Comcast seems to be transitioning to a world where you just buy your own set top box (Roku), and use their xfinity app to access your live TV subscription. For now, they aren't charging you to use them....so a savings of $10/mo per box.

Anyone tried this yet?

I'm thinking of trying that out, as these X1 boxes are garbage.

I would actually inquire with your neighbors and find out if anyone around you has uverse and how the quality is. I say this because in certain areas when uverse was first expanding AT&T did a shitty job with the install. They rushed their product out and the quality was compromised. This is certainly true in parts of West Carmel. Perhaps it's better where you live. After years when so many people in our hood where having issues, they started rewiring the whole area. I think it helped.

As for weather, I've had my uverse freeze up just as much as satellite. Honestly I think the cable companies use this as a scare tactic and it's not that big of a deal. Yes, heavy rainfall can cause the picture to go, but it's not that often.

does it ever freeze up?

downsides, upsides.

Have it only because I have to. DVR is fine but the phone app that ties to it SUCKS. You can't watch any of the recorded events on the phone app. Mind-boggling but what can one expect from AT&T?

Anything is better than cable. I thought this quit being an argument years ago?

Dish blows U-Verse away and it's not even close. Better service, better quality, more options, better customer service, etc. I've been a Dish customer since '98 and tried U-Verse when it first came out - hated it. Went back to Dish. Moved to L'ville and can't have satellite dishes where I currently live - back to U-Verse - not a fan.

Have it only because I have to. DVR is fine but the phone app that ties to it SUCKS. You can't watch any of the recorded events on the phone app. Mind-boggling but what can one expect from AT&T?

Anything is better than cable. I thought this quit being an argument years ago?

Dish blows U-Verse away and it's not even close. Better service, better quality, more options, better customer service, etc. I've been a Dish customer since '98 and tried U-Verse when it first came out - hated it. Went back to Dish. Moved to L'ville and can't have satellite dishes where I currently live - back to U-Verse - not a fan.

Holy shit you're retarded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT