ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Schwarber from ESPN Chicago

HoosierBaseball34

Sophomore
Jun 17, 2008
15m

More
Kyle Schwarber will play mostly LF the rest of this yr . He will catch a little and DH then they will decide in offseason where he'll play

Further updates...

10m

Re Schwarber, Theo basically said if the bat warrants him on the fast track they won't slow him down by leaving him at catcher.

This whole conversation surprises me.

I never saw his catching as any kind of weakness. Fact is, I thought he was a darned good defensive catcher. Quick feet with a strong arm and takes total control of alignments and plays. What am I missing here?

Skip called all the pitches . . .

so handling a pitcher is something Schwarber needs to work on . . . and there's more speed on the base paths in the pros.

He was a good college catcher. He is good at blocking and with his footwork, but he has trouble framing and squeezing, and his arm (especially at the MLB level) is average. He doesn't have a great pop time, and he's never handled a pitching staff on his own. The cubs will give him the opportunity behind the plate, but they won't slow down his progress because of his bat. His future is in LF or 1st base in the MLB.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT