ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming Season

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
So what is a successful season this year? Are fans happy with a sweet 16? Elite 8? Final 4 ? I think most would be pretty happy with an elite 8 run with a tough close loss

So what is a successful season this year? Are fans happy with a sweet 16? Elite 8? Final 4 ? I think most would be pretty happy with an elite 8 run with a tough close loss
I think some would be fine with 16 if it follows a season to be proud of, but I think elite 8 would satiate the masses.

There are so many variables it's hard to say. For me:
- Be in the mix for the conference title. May not win it, but be in the conversation until the last week or two.
- Get to the S16 or E8 and go down in a close, hard fought game. Don't get blown out.
- Just be good and improve as the season progresses.

Top 10 during the year and an elite 8 run would silence everyone. Got to make the sweet 16.
yes, add a 25+ win season. and top2, maybe 3 in B1G, although I'm not sure what to make of the inaugural Big 18 season yet. But if we finish middle pack, lurk around or just outside the top 25 most of the year, and are out the first weekend of the tourney, it's not going to be received well.

If we're talking bubble at the end of Feb, then we're in hardware rebuild mode yet again. But I do not see that happening. Just too much bought talent on this roster.

Reactions: Cavanagh
It doesn't make sense to try to predict tourney runs. The tournament is about match ups and good venues/locations.

Indiana would have beaten all but maybe 4 or 5 teams in 2013. One of them was Syracuse and that's who they played.

In 1993, IU was the #1 team and ready to steamroll. Instead they lost in the E8.

2002, IU limped thru the season and posted a disappointing 4 way tie for first when they controlled their own destiny. Then they caught lightning in a bottle and nearly won it all.

Florida Atlantic, SDSU, South Carolina, Loyola, George Mason, FGCU.... so many examples of seasons being "made" by a run at the end.

I think Indiana is no where near a top 5 team and therefore all I want to see is for them to finish about 4th in the conference, then land some good in state guys to be better next year.

What the heck has Galloway or Reneau or Ballo ever won? If they win the Big Ten they might make it to the S16 or beyond. But that's a big "if".

It doesn't make sense to try to predict tourney runs. The tournament is about match ups and good venues/locations.

Indiana would have beaten all but maybe 4 or 5 teams in 2013. One of them was Syracuse and that's who they

So you didn’t watch the temple game? We were getting clipped by 80% of the remaining field with creany yankin on pants that year. Jordy was done Crean didn’t know how to play Vic.

Reactions: IUgradman

Indiana would have beaten all but maybe 4 or 5 teams in 2013. One of them was Syracuse and that's who they played.

In 1993, IU was the #1 team and ready to steamroll. Instead they lost in the E8.

2002, IU limped thru the season and posted a disappointing 4 way tie for first when they controlled their own destiny. Then they caught lightning in a bottle and nearly won it all.

Florida Atlantic, SDSU, South Carolina, Loyola, George Mason, FGCU.... so many examples of seasons being "made" by a run at the end.

I think Indiana is no where near a top 5 team and therefore all I want to see is for them to finish about 4th in the conference, then land some good in state guys to be better next year.

What the heck has Galloway or Reneau or Ballo ever won? If they win the Big Ten they might make it to the S16 or beyond. But that's a big "if".
Yes, it's true... the tourney is about being damn good, match ups, injuries and luck...

but that's where consistency comes in. You can't make the tourney once every few years or so and expect to make deep tourney runs.

IU needs to become a consistent top 3-4 B1G so they consistently become a Top 4-5 seed.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
So you didn’t watch the temple game? We were getting clipped by 80% of the remaining field with creany yankin on pants that year. Jordy was done Crean didn’t know how to play Vic.
I watched the Temple game. Watford saved them. They won though.

IU beat UM twice that year and they went to the championship game.

I watched the Temple game. Watford saved them. They won though.

IU beat UM twice that year and they went to the championship game.
I know I was the reason they won @ UM.

Again, Jordy was done. Crean couldn’t adjust. Much different than mid season form.

Yes, it's true... the tourney is about being damn good, match ups, injuries and luck...

but that's where consistency comes in. You can't make the tourney once every few years or so and expect to make deep tourney runs.

IU needs to become a consistent top 3-4 B1G so they consistently become a Top 4-5 seed.
agreed, and winning is infectious, which is why I'm not holding my breath for this year's team to do much. Rice may step up as a leader, but from the perspective of leadership and knowing how to win close games, they are clearly lacking and will have to learn how to win this year if they want to be any good.

Last year they could barely beat Army at home. Loat to a rookie PSU coach at home. Abysmal mental toughness last year.
Mgbako, Galloway, Cupps, Reneau.... all on that team. Long way to go, in my opinion.

And I continue to say that the ultimate embarrassment is being bad and then sending a guy to the top half of the draft. It reminds me of when I drive by a construction site and there is a guy who's only job is to hold a sign saying "slow". I'm thinking, "who's paying for this garbage?"

Crean didn’t know how to play Vic.
Previous year Vic was in the highest percentages scoring in PnR (he was though low in setting up others). So what does Crean do the next year. Doesn't use him much in PnR. He was set on starting two midgets in the backcourt. Sheehey should have started 3, Vic should have been the 2 and Yogi should have come off the bench. Yogi was the weak link that year...

I know I was the reason they won @ UM.

Again, Jordy was done. Crean couldn’t adjust. Much different than mid season form.
Also it sounded like Crean ran them in to the ground by season’s end. Marathon practices up until tourney time.

And then all the mad scientist crap. Manic subbing. Bullshit gimmick stuff like switching defenses mid possession.

That season was so frustrating. I loved watching those guys play, almost as much as any IU team. But I hated watching Crean coach.

I think a FF and everyone is happy. I think an Elite 8 coupled with a B1G title and everyone is happy. Anything else and it's another disappointing season and Woody is fired.

I think a FF and everyone is happy. I think an Elite 8 coupled with a B1G title and everyone is happy. Anything else and it's another disappointing season and Woody is fired.
You just posted he won’t get fired. So which is it?

The bar for firing is much lower than that, I’m sure.

If we are top four in the BIG and make it to the second weekend then Woodson will get an extension.

Last year was awful and he wasn’t fired, and not only that he got even more resources. The bar isn’t too high here and with this roster we’ll likely be at least “good,” which will look like a big year over year improvement. More likely he is extended than fired. I’m not saying this is right or wrong, it’s just how things are looking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT