ADVERTISEMENT

Uhm...

Again, his "current body of work" is 3 months and you ignore 17 years. Again, he continues to exhibit borderline lobotomized type tendencies, isolating Troy at the top of the key and giving him free reign to drive, almost totally out of control, into the paint. Meanwhile, Yogi stands on the wing watching.
I'd be more than happy to give him the remainder of this season to prove me otherwise, but I do so with the unsettling knowledge that he's buying himself much, much more time at the helm and I have ZERO confidence that the entirety of his career is an outlier and that this tiger has changed his stripes. But maybe he has.....
tom-crean-cat.jpg
I'm not ignoring anything. If I was ignoring his prior 17 years I'd say you are bat shit crazy for wanting to fire him. I'm taking the wait and see approach. He's easily earned another year after the performance this season, win or lose Friday night. He'll have to earn his job again next year by maintaining consistent progress, competing for a conference championship and making a good tourney run. He strings together 3 or 4 years of consistent success and I'll give him my vote of confidence. He finishes 6th in conference and flames out in the tourney and I'll give him the thumbs down. Don't get why that is so hard to comprehend.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
So you're going with 3 months of EXPECTED results over 17 years of MEDIOCRITY?

Cool.....good to know.....
You farcking tards. No, Crean has not yet proven he should be the long term solution for Indiana. He's earned the right to be back next year though.

You farcking tards. No, Crean has not yet proven he should be the long term solution for Indiana. He's earned the right to be back next year though.
I absolutely get where you're coming from, however I've (we've) been down this road before. 14 years ago to the day yesterday, actually. Beating an even more heavily favored 1 seed. All the way to the NC game. Then everybody said, he deserves more time. 5 years later we FINALLY had the balls to pull the plug.
Crean may have bought himself another year, but he isn't the answer long term to coach the team. He's not. Not even winning a NC will change that reality, crazy as that sounds. This year (really these last 3 months) are the outlier and there's no way he duplicates it. Ever. You can take that to the bank.

I absolutely get where you're coming from, however I've (we've) been down this road before. 14 years ago to the day yesterday, actually. Beating an even more heavily favored 1 seed. All the way to the NC game. Then everybody said, he deserves more time. 5 years later we FINALLY had the balls to pull the plug.
Crean may have bought himself another year, but he isn't the answer long term to coach the team. He's not. Not even winning a NC will change that reality, crazy as that sounds. This year (really these last 3 months) are the outlier and there's no way he duplicates it. Ever. You can take that to the bank.
This is just stupid. I wonder if you can put a bet on whether Crean would ever win the big ten outright and make the sweet 16 again. My guess is that it would be heavily in favor of that happening again. I mean hell, he's did it like 3 years ago. Was that an outlier too?

I don't think he has yet.....he gets past the sweet 16 and he has an argument.

17 years of milk toast results is quite a mound to overcome.

You people are quick to anoint before the facts come in.....that's why we're in this in the first place.....quit being like Freddy G.

Nick's bison should be the model for our mascot. They already told me they would be on board with it. I presented the possibility to Glass with the name "Hermie" in honor of Herman B Wells. He seemed interested at first, but I never heard from him again after that.
I'd be down with that. Great idea.

WTF is wrong with you people ...

It's a Bison. Not an effin Buffalo.

Early American settlers called bison “bufello” due to the similar appearance between the two animals, and the name "buffalo" stuck for the American variety. But it's wrong. The American bison (Bison bison) lives only in North America, while the two main buffalo species reside in Africa and Asia.

Dip shits ...

Meaning, it is also correct, in Murica, to call them that since the name stuck. We call football soccer too, cuz we 'Muricans are badass like that.

Easy. I want IU to win. Am I conflicted? Absolutely. I knew it would be this way in the tourney. It's been this way the entire friggin' year. The world isn't black and white, dude. You guys are hilarious.
Your turn. Is Crean a good enough coach to lead IU back to elite status and compete EVERY year for NCs?

As of right now, probably not. But my opinion is subject to change. I give the coach credit for this particular season's turn around. Great job. Now I ask for him to build on it and sustain.

I dont know who "you guys" are that you refer to. I'm just saying you try way too hard to get your point across that you dont like Crean. You are the Tom Crean of the Tom Crean haters.

No. I give the coach credit for this particular season's turn around. Great job. Now I ask for him to build on it and sustain.

This is the retarded logic of a 3rd grader.... and Foosier.

I mean if that worked, why didn't we just do it at the beginning? (Again.... Crean apologists, this question is rhetorical).

Reactions: T.M.P.
I don't think he has yet.....he gets past the sweet 16 and he has an argument.

17 years of milk toast results is quite a mound to overcome.

You people are quick to anoint before the facts come in.....that's why we're in this in the first place.....quit being like Freddy G.
Anoint what? That someone has earned another year? My God you people are dense. He hasn't earned anything other than another year. Facts are already in, maybe not all of them but enough to make a call on this season. He earned another year because he's the freaking BTCOY, is a finalist for national COY, won the conference by 2 games, and will play for a spot in the elite eight on Friday. Short of being found with a live boy or a dead hooker he ain't getting fired after a year like that.

I mean if that worked, why didn't we just do it at the beginning? (Again.... Crean apologists, this question is rhetorical).
This is the logic of someone who likely failed 3rd grade. So, because he didn't start out the season with his team playing this well it means that he can't have a team that plays this well next year? Or are you asking why he didn't field a team this good from his first year? Either way, you explain your logic to me and I'll call you a farcking idiot.

What this actually is is you can't or won't live with the fact that you might just be wrong. Maybe, just maybe you don't know everything and Crean is the guy long term. That thought must keep you awake at night.

As of right now, probably not. But my opinion is subject to change. I give the coach credit for this particular season's turn around. Great job. Now I ask for him to build on it and sustain.

I dont know who "you guys" are that you refer to. I'm just saying you try way too hard to get your point across that you dont like Crean. You are the Tom Crean of the Tom Crean haters.
Lmao. Not even close to being qualified for that category. Look, I appreciate what he did to rebuild the program, but I'm tired of the excuses year after year. There's no trying too hard. He makes that part easy. I'm not sure how I'm trying to hard, when all I'm doing is explaining why I feel that he's not remotely qualified to lead IU back to sustained success/elite status.
The "you guys" is more of a general catch all for people who blindly defend him. If you're not part of that group, then my mistake.

Anoint what? That someone has earned another year? My God you people are dense. He hasn't earned anything other than another year. Facts are already in, maybe not all of them but enough to make a call on this season. He earned another year because he's the freaking BTCOY, is a finalist for national COY, won the conference by 2 games, and will play for a spot in the elite eight on Friday. Short of being found with a live boy or a dead hooker he ain't getting fired after a year like that.

Even after winning a NC, if a better coach is available next year then I'd hire him.....that's how confident I am that he's not the one. If you can't see that after 17 years of evidence then you live in some other reality. Now....I'd love to chit to eat crow over this.....absolutely love it. But it's not up to me.....it's Freddy, trustees, and the admins decision. He will most likely be back next year and probably finish out his contract....fine. And maybe he's changed/grown as a coach.....alittle fk'ing late if so but whatever.......he just better bring it every year from here on out.

WTF is wrong with you?

I answered dug's question. Plain and simple. You came with a sub-moronic whiney-assed response. Not my problem.

This is the logic of someone who likely failed 3rd grade. So, because he didn't start out the season with his team playing this well it means that he can't have a team that plays this well next year? Or are you asking why he didn't field a team this good from his first year? Either way, you explain your logic to me and I'll call you a farcking idiot.

What this actually is is you can't or won't live with the fact that you might just be wrong. Maybe, just maybe you don't know everything and Crean is the guy long term. That thought must keep you awake at night.
How in the hell is he the guy long term when he couldn't get past the Sweet 16 with the most talent on one IU roster since the undefeated championship season? How do you NOT even MAKE the tourney with 2 McD AAs? How is he the guy when he lets the all time leading scorer in IU history (and B1G) leave for an assistant coaching job elsewhere? How is he the guy when he takes a kid on a preseason trip out of the country on the heels of his 2nd failed drug test and, even now, runs isolation plays for him, to the detriment of the team.
There's more, but I'm not going to continue. He's NOT the guy. He'll never be. He does less with more talent than any coach I've ever seen NOT named Dean Smith.

Reactions: IUecho87
True. That was pretty stoopid. The fact remains that he's a weirdo, creepy dude who has a Sr PG who's been among the best at his position over the last half of the season and he has TROY EFFING WILLIAMS handling the ball out top. Repeatedly. Repeatedly making out of control drives into the paint. Any half wit would give OG ALL of Troy's minutes, given that he can and does play much better D and doesn't force his game on the offensive end.
I didn't say he was responsible for the damb poster (it's not a poster, btw. Although I'm sure you guys can print it out and attach it to a handle to better facilitate your one handed activities with it). He's the embarrassing representation of IU. That's the point and its lost on you. There's no drama in that. I can't enjoy the extended run he's making because it's doing nothing but buying him more time and you (and Warison and Zeke and all the other CBLs) can go ahead and buy in on the last 3 months over 17 years worth of evidence as to his capability as a coach. As RF has previously pointed out, how did Davis's run to the NC game turn out?

This post is one example of many of your fast FASTER FASTEST!! approach for your displeasure of TC. If you cant enjoy the extended run, then why do you want IU to win Friday night?

^^^doesn't know the meaning of "rhetorical" ^^^^

WTF is wrong with you?

I answered dug's question. Plain and simple. You came with a sub-moronic whiney-assed response. Not my problem.

Your answer was dumb and illogical. I thought I made that pretty clear in my first post.

How in the hell is he the guy long term when he couldn't get past the Sweet 16 with the most talent on one IU roster since the undefeated championship season? How do you NOT even MAKE the tourney with 2 McD AAs? How is he the guy when he lets the all time leading scorer in IU history (and B1G) leave for an assistant coaching job elsewhere? How is he the guy when he takes a kid on a preseason trip out of the country on the heels of his 2nd failed drug test and, even now, runs isolation plays for him, to the detriment of the team.
There's more, but I'm not going to continue. He's NOT the guy. He'll never be. He does less with more talent than any coach I've ever seen NOT named Dean Smith.
I'm not out there making any excuses for any of that. I'm looking at the product on the court this season and for the last several seasons. His results have not been stellar but I think he earned some capital by resurrecting the program. He's burned through that capital by not making the tournament and a first round flame out. He's now being judged on a clean slate, at least by me. This year's results have been what IU should expect on an annual basis and has the potential to be a very good year by any standard, even elite. He's earned the right to be the head coach again next year.

As far as keeping players on the team after failing drug tests, name me on current head coach that has handled every off-the-court incident expertly. There isn't one. Izzo, K, Self, Williams, Pitino, Calipari have all had their issues. We have the same standards, but I guess I'm judging on a bit more of a curve.

Your answer was dumb and illogical. I thought I made that pretty clear in my first post.

LOL... so my answer was not what you wanted to hear, and so therefore dumb and illogical? Do you even understand those two terms? (thats a rhetorical question)

1) Spring Creanings.
2) WWW and Martin as an assistant. Selling our souls?
3) The way he treats people around the athletic office, especially Don Fischer.
4) Calbert Cheaney

It is not about the wins and losses, it is about his lack of character. He is a POS.
Oh dear lord ... where do you people come up with this crap ... ?

I'm not out there making any excuses for any of that. I'm looking at the product on the court this season and for the last several seasons. His results have not been stellar but I think he earned some capital by resurrecting the program. He's burned through that capital by not making the tournament and a first round flame out. He's now being judged on a clean slate, at least by me. This year's results have been what IU should expect on an annual basis and has the potential to be a very good year by any standard, even elite. He's earned the right to be the head coach again next year.

As far as keeping players on the team after failing drug tests, name me on current head coach that has handled every off-the-court incident expertly. There isn't one. Izzo, K, Self, Williams, Pitino, Calipari have all had their issues. We have the same standards, but I guess I'm judging on a bit more of a curve.

Meh. The B1G championship was great. But I'll get excited and start to take notice once CTC takes an IU team past the Sweet 16. Until then, he's just an above-average coach IMO. Let's hope it happens this year!!

^^^doesn't know the meaning of "rhetorical" ^^^^
Doesn't know that he's not the authority on rhetorical. Your statement, in the form of a rhetorical question, was stupid and absurd. Therefore consider my post a response to your stupid and absurd statement, not an answer to your stupid and absurd rhetorical question. Feel better?

That's the problem.....it's illogical to judge on a clean slate. What has he done to wipe that clean? Sure Big 10 title....been there done that.....turn around since Maui ....BFD....he hasn't even made it past the sweet 16 yet......again anointing before the product is delivered.

I'll admit this.....he takes this team to the final four, then he's earned next year in my eyes.

At this point, put out or GTFO.

@Warison: Fischer actually complained to Glass about Crean being a dick. Take it up with him.

I didn't "come up" with anything, you waffling assturd.

Regarding another post of yours: I once threatened to beat down a guy for talking to me during the game in which Calbert set the Big Ten scoring record. I also pace during games. No beer, just Beam and a mixer. No one likes to be around me when I am watching a game. All business, shut your mouths.

Reactions: Warison

A clean slate would've began judging him after he went 12-20 in his 3rd year. The fact he went 17-15 just 2 years ago with the amount of talent on that roster is ridiculous.
As for comparing other programs and their handling of off court issues, I could give a rats a$$ how they do things. This is Indiana and somewhere along the way that's gotten lost by the idiot who did nothing but yell "IT'S INDIANA! IT'S INDIANA". He did what he always does. He ran his mouth. There was precious little in the way of actually demonstrating that. The day I start looking and comparing with how Calipari has done things is the day I'm done permanently with IU basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankTGucker
A clean slate would've began judging him after he went 12-20 in his 3rd year. The fact he went 17-15 just 2 years ago with the amount of talent on that roster is ridiculous.
As for comparing other programs and their handling of off court issues, I could give a rats a$$ how they do things. This is Indiana and somewhere along the way that's gotten lost by the idiot who did nothing but yell "IT'S INDIANA! IT'S INDIANA". He did what he always does. He ran his mouth. There was precious little in the way of actually demonstrating that. The day I start looking and comparing with how Calipari has done things is the day I'm done permanently with IU basketball.
You sound like you're already done with Indiana basketball. By the way, I didn't just compare him to Cal, there were 4 other coaches in there. Fact is all coaches, regardless of the institution they represent, have had to deal with off the court issues and I don't know of anyone of them who did so in a manner that can't be questioned.

Let me type this really slowly...(1) I don't give a rat's ass about his season 3 record...that team couldn't have been expected to contend for either a conference title or a national championship; (2) he built up his capital in years 1-4 by taking a program with zero scholarship players to the #1 ranking; (3) he burned through his capital in years 5, 6 and the off season leading to year 7; (4) he started year 7 with a clean slate--i.e. with no capital to help save his job should he muck it up and with certain expectations; (5) he has met the minimum expectations of IU fans so far, and has a chance to exceed those expectations; (6) therefore, he has earned another year in my book.

You want to hold every negative against him without giving him credit for any of the positive. You want to hold quirky behavior against when it has nothing to do with running a basketball program. You want to hold coaching decisions against him even when he wins, because it conflicts with what you think he should do. You want him to be elite but you don't want to compare his handling of off the court issues with other elite coaches. Basically you accentuate every wrong decision/bad behavior and devalue every correct decision (like picking up OG)/good behavior. That's the sign of a closed mind.

You sound like you're already done with Indiana basketball. By the way, I didn't just compare him to Cal, there were 4 other coaches in there. Fact is all coaches, regardless of the institution they represent, have had to deal with off the court issues and I don't know of anyone of them who did so in a manner that can't be questioned.

Let me type this really slowly...(1) I don't give a rat's ass about his season 3 record...that team couldn't have been expected to contend for either a conference title or a national championship; (2) he built up his capital in years 1-4 by taking a program with zero scholarship players to the #1 ranking; (3) he burned through his capital in years 5, 6 and the off season leading to year 7; (4) he started year 7 with a clean slate--i.e. with no capital to help save his job should he muck it up and with certain expectations; (5) he has met the minimum expectations of IU fans so far, and has a chance to exceed those expectations; (6) therefore, he has earned another year in my book.

You want to hold every negative against him without giving him credit for any of the positive. You want to hold quirky behavior against when it has nothing to do with running a basketball program. You want to hold coaching decisions against him even when he wins, because it conflicts with what you think he should do. You want him to be elite but you don't want to compare his handling of off the court issues with other elite coaches. Basically you accentuate every wrong decision/bad behavior and devalue every correct decision (like picking up OG)/good behavior. That's the sign of a closed mind.

Believe what you want.....I just know there are more negatives than positives during his tenure. He can add more to the positives.....he just needs to do it now. I'm over waiting.

A thread about cartoon mascots brought all the Crean fanboys out of the woodwork. Go figure...

Reactions: hoosierdug
A thread about cartoon mascots brought all the Crean fanboys out of the woodwork. Go figure...
Along with all the delusional assholes who believe their opinion is somehow superior to others. Wonder which category you fit in.

Reactions: muubell

He sucks. Get over it..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT