ADVERTISEMENT

(UE guard) Ryan Taylor considering grad transfer...IU interested?

crazed_hoosier2

Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2011
Evansville C&P is reporting that Taylor, who has graduated, is considering a transfer for his final year of eligibility.

The story mentions IU and UCLA as programs that may be interested.

Taylor, a Gary native, led the MVC in scoring average this year (21.2 ppg) and is a helluva talent who could step in and play significant minutes right away.

Here’s a link to the story.

Reactions: justjames
He would help a lot next year, though I don’t know Taylor comes if Romeo does.

Evansville C&P is reporting that Taylor, who has graduated, is considering a transfer for his final year of eligibility.

Taylor, a Gary native, led the MVC in scoring average this year (21.2 ppg) and is a helluva talent who could step in and play significant minutes right away.

Can he play defense and handle the ball? I suppose he could be a good backup to Romeo, or take that spot if Romeo goes elsewhere. We sure need scorers, but I don't want to give it back with TOs and bad D. Been there, done that.

I mentioned him last night and actually a week or two ago as a possible transfer. My son and I differ on him coming. A proven 6'-6 SG is exactly what we need. I have seen him play a few times this year and I mentioned back then I would have taken him over any guard we had.

My son isn't a fan of Taylor,

I mentioned him last night and actually a week or two ago as a possible transfer. My son and I differ on him coming. A proven 6'-6 SG is exactly what we need. I have seen him play a few times this year and I mentioned back then I would have taken him over any guard we had.

why isn't he a fan?

It's something I don't consider bad. He isn't a criminal, bad kid, or a druggie.
why bring up the fact your son isn't a fan if you're not going to explain why? You obviously don't have to explain, it's just....weird

why bring up the fact your son isn't a fan if you're not going to explain why?
He doesn't think he is a good fit for a reason I don't agree with. Leave it at that. Drop it.

21.1 ppg, a good kid from all accounts and a college graduate is all we need to know.

Reactions: IUgradman
Can he play defense and handle the ball? I suppose he could be a good backup to Romeo, or take that spot if Romeo goes elsewhere. We sure need scorers, but I don't want to give it back with TOs and bad D. Been there, done that.

Over his career (which included one year at Ohio U), he's averaged 1.5 TOs per game and 32 mins per game -- 0.047 TOs per minute.

Here is that same stat for some of our recent players...

Johnson - 0.073
Newkirk - 0.072
Morgan - 0.054
Green - 0.085
Durham - 0.043
Blackmon - 0.061
OG - 0.063
Bryant - 0.079
Ferrell - 0.070
Williams - 0.088

Of those, only Durham turns the rock over less frequently than Ryan Taylor has.

I think he'd be a great get, myself.

Reactions: UncleMark

Did Taylor bone your son's girlfriend?

He doesn't think he is a good fit for a reason I don't agree with. Leave it at that. Drop it.

21.1 ppg, a good kid from all accounts and a college graduate is all we need to know.

Sure, I'll drop what you originally brought up..WTF

He definitely could help us.

I agree that he would play major minutes no matter what next year.

He might be our leading scorer.

I think he would be a good contributor, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Taylor plays in a system that is designed to feature him exclusively. There is a reason the last 5 years Marty has had the MVC leading scorer. I don't think the offense would be set up the same way for him at IU. But, he would be a definite scoring threat.

Reactions: ulrey and Pryght
I think he would be a good contributor, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Taylor plays in a system that is designed to feature him exclusively. There is a reason the last 5 years Marty has had the MVC leading scorer. I don't think the offense would be set up the same way for him at IU. But, he would be a definite scoring threat.
Can he hit the three at a high rate?

Yes, I was throwing a discussion starter out on that one. Assuming Romeo is not coming, and everyone else besides Morgan is young or inconsistent. I am only saying he is a proven scorer and would be a welcome pickup.

Yes, I was throwing a discussion starter out on that one. Assuming Romeo is not coming, and everyone else besides Morgan is young or inconsistent. I am only saying he is a proven scorer and would be a welcome pickup.

Would be a totally good pick up.

In the times I saw him, he was effective in catching the ball off of a curl in the lane and shooting the 12-15 foot jump shot. He didn't need a lot of space because he was ready to shoot and got the ball up quick. I 'm not worried about him coming from the MVC to the B1G. His game will travel well.

He should be a quality player. Glad to hear we are looking at him.

Reactions: IUgradman
Dru Smith is another player reportedly exploring a transfer. He's a 6'3" guard who averaged 13.7/3.5/4.6 while shooting .578/.482/.862 last season as a soph.

I don't know much about him other than his stats, but that's some pretty impressive shooting. He was very under-the-radar coming out of Reitz, and unlike Taylor he would have to sit out a year, but he would be worth a look.

Drop it? You brought it up.

Dru Smith is another player reportedly exploring a transfer. He's a 6'3" guard who averaged 13.7/3.5/4.6 while shooting .578/.482/.862 last season as a soph.

I don't know much about him other than his stats, but that's some pretty impressive shooting. He was very under-the-radar coming out of Reitz, and unlike Taylor he would have to sit out a year, but he would be worth a look.
Dru is a legit D1 player. He would be a good pick up for someone. I hope he changes his mind.

It was mentioned by an Evansville sports writer that OSU will be contacting him. I am curious how someone would know that prior to his release?

Dru probably isn’t a B10-level player, IMO. He might be the 9th or 10th guy in the rotation. I’d much rather see that scholarship go to somebody who could really contribute.

The local buzz is that he wants to drop to D2 USI (a couple of his Reitz teammates play there...and he wouldn’t have to sit out a year).

Don’t get me wrong. He’s a key player for UE. But he’s not the level of player that Taylor is.

Dru probably isn’t a B10-level player, IMO. He might be the 9th or 10th guy in the rotation. I’d much rather see that scholarship go to somebody who could really contribute.

The local buzz is that he wants to drop to D2 USI (a couple of his Reitz teammates play there...and he wouldn’t have to sit out a year).

Don’t get me wrong. He’s a key player for UE. But he’s not the level of player that Taylor is.
IU has lost 3 guards-Jones,Johnson and Newkirk. That doesn't even count that there might be a transfer or not. Taylor can step in right away. While IU is bringing in versatile players ,it stll lacks experience-especially in the backcourt. Taylor would bring that. B10 is bigger stage but I think he could handle it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT