ADVERTISEMENT

UConn dominated entire tournament

Depressing. UConn wins 5th title since 1999, 12 years after we won our 5th title. Only one championship game since 1987. I count 36 years since Keith Smart's championship winner. And, the tournament really opened up this year with the number of upsets. I hope we get to the point where we are a bad match-up for other teams, not the other way around.

To say the obvious, that UConn center dominated the inside and the team talent was widespread. They deserved the title this year.

20+ years of IU admin incompetence....
The most depressing thing is they did it with three coaches so it was not just one guy. And hurley has not been some incredible coach they just always seem to get it done in the tourney at uconn.

I blame Fred Glass. He hired the worst coach in program history.

Two+ decades of incompetence are not the result of 4 years of Archie Miller being coach. Miller recruited the one player that carried the team for the last 2 years.

His teams weren't good, but not like they were a Georgetown-esque dumpster fire

There is a reason for this happening.....
When UConn hired Kevin Ollie he had been an assistant for only two years under Calhoun and it was Ollie’s first head coaching gig.

Hurley’s first three seasons at UConn would’ve had this board shitting itself to fire him.

Reactions: rocketo
When UConn hired Kevin Ollie he had been an assistant for only two years under Calhoun and it was Ollie’s first head coaching gig.

Hurley’s first three seasons at UConn would’ve had this board shitting itself to fire him.

This board is full of basketball savants, don't ya know?

Reactions: 82hoosier
Davis was ok but he did not kill the program. Hiring sampson hurt as well and crean was ok. But the archie hire was an absolute disaster.

IU could have won a title with Sampson. IU's problem is that we are, or at least were, a holier than thou program who felt the need to self immolate over someone like Samson where any other program would have simply, I dunno...won. Yes, I know, we're better than that. Enjoy.

was UConn really that dominant? Or did the NCAA field really suck this year? Or both?

UConn did have a great mix of competent bigs, mobile wings would could play D, and guys who could drill the catch-n-shoot 3 without any fear. Terribly one-sided final game. I guessing the Vegas house lost a shit ton of money on last night's final.

Reactions: .Gerdis

Hurley took over a dumpster fire that was on probation from Kevin Ollie. Hurley kept saying those first couple years, we're coming.

And he built this team without blue-chips. Just solid players and a good motion offense. And they're going to bring almost everyone back next year. Amazing what a good coach can do.

Two+ decades of incompetence are not the result of 4 years of Archie Miller being coach. Miller recruited the one player that carried the team for the last 2 years.

His teams weren't good, but not like they were a Georgetown-esque dumpster fire
He got TJD, but Archie's teams lacked any kind of depth - a HS senior and a lot of walk-ons. It was really shocking compared to other Big Ten teams.

And everyone said Archie was a home run hire including the biggest IU athletic supporter of all know on here as Big Red Crimson Buffy. VBG
Well it seemed risky to me from day one cause flavors of the month often do not work out at all. Remember this flavor of the month cant miss hire.

Former Iowa men's basketball coach Todd Lickliter will accept the head coaching job at Marian University, an NAIA school in Indianapolis, according to an Indianapolis radio host's report on Twitter.

Lickliter, who was fired by Iowa followed the 2009-10 season, has "an agreement in principle and contract is being finalized" with Marian, according to a Tweet by Jake Query, a radio host at 1230-AM and the pit reporter at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Lickliter will replace his best friend, John Grimes, who retired after 36 seasons as the Knights' head coach.

Lickliter, 57, led Iowa to a 38-58 record but was dismissed after his third season. He sat out one year, then became an assistant at Miami (Ohio) last season.

Depressing. UConn wins 5th title since 1999, 12 years after we won our 5th title. Only one championship game since 1987. I count 36 years since Keith Smart's championship winner. And, the tournament really opened up this year with the number of upsets. I hope we get to the point where we are a bad match-up for other teams, not the other way around.

To say the obvious, that UConn center dominated the inside and the team talent was widespread. They deserved the title this year.
I kind of liked that freshman big kid too. He is gonna be a good one.

In the past 30 years has there been a more dominant basketball program on both the men’s and women’s side? UConn essentially rules the game of college basketball.

Reactions: IUgradman
IU could have won a title with Sampson. IU's problem is that we are, or at least were, a holier than thou program who felt the need to self immolate over someone like Samson where any other program would have simply, I dunno...won. Yes, I know, we're better than that. Enjoy.
I think maybe even won a couple. He was bringing in a five star recruit and his recruiting would have been lights out. I am guessing top ten classes every single year. We fired him for phone calls and now we pay kids 100k to sit on the bench. Simply unreal. And I dont want to hear the bs on grades when was the last time any school made a kid sit out for grades. Never. The whole student athletes thing is out the window but at IU we must do it the right way lol .

was UConn really that dominant? Or did the NCAA field really suck this year? Or both?

UConn did have a great mix of competent bigs, mobile wings would could play D, and guys who could drill the catch-n-shoot 3 without any fear. Terribly one-sided final game. I guessing the Vegas house lost a shit ton of money on last night's final.
If I gambled I would have taken the odds in a second on that game. I knew it would be a blowout.

Hurley took over a dumpster fire that was on probation from Kevin Ollie. Hurley kept saying those first couple years, we're coming.

And he built this team without blue-chips. Just solid players and a good motion offense. And they're going to bring almost everyone back next year. Amazing what a good coach can do.
That’s cool. Woodson took over a shit program/shit culture that had one highly regarded guy. Woodson just finished his second season. Hurley just finished his fifth. Hurley didn’t have a decent record until his fourth season. Let’s let Woodson coach his third and fourth seasons and see where he’s got this program going.

And I dont want to hear the bs on grades when was the last time any school made a kid sit out for grades. Never.
It wouldn't have been up to the school. If Sampson had stayed, they still would have lost 2 scholarships because the APR rate had dipped so low. From the HT: "Indiana University will give up two basketball scholarships for the upcoming season in anticipation of penalties related to the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate, assistant athletic director Frank Cuervo confirmed Wednesday."

It wouldn't have been up to the school. If Sampson had stayed, they still would have lost 2 scholarships because the APR rate had dipped so low. From the HT: "Indiana University will give up two basketball scholarships for the upcoming season in anticipation of penalties related to the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate, assistant athletic director Frank Cuervo confirmed Wednesday."
Sampson would have done just fine with 11 players. No other top program would ever have fired him and he would still be with them making final fours. College bbal is now nothing more than the minor league NBA so who cares.

I think maybe even won a couple. He was bringing in a five star recruit and his recruiting would have been lights out. I am guessing top ten classes every single year. We fired him for phone calls and now we pay kids 100k to sit on the bench. Simply unreal. And I dont want to hear the bs on grades when was the last time any school made a kid sit out for grades. Never. The whole student athletes thing is out the window but at IU we must do it the right way lol .
"I think maybe even". What does that mean? He had a chance at OK, but lost to us under Mike Davis. He had a great team this year and lost early. He's a good coach, but never would have won titles here. You probably drink and write more than Kurt.

College basketball teams will never be as great as they once were as the rules have changed and the top talent leaves early for the NBA taking any superstars out of the college game after only one college season. NIL also presents a problem for school and team loyalty as it is now a business not the amateur college sport that it once was.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Based upon numerous stories from folks close to the program at that time, there was a lot more than then-illegal phone calls and bad grades going on in that program. Good riddance.

Between the 7 footer and Sonogo, SDS couldn't get a decent look under the basket. Everything got swatted.

That’s cool. Woodson took over a shit program/shit culture that had one highly regarded guy. Woodson just finished his second season. Hurley just finished his fifth. Hurley didn’t have a decent record until his fourth season. Let’s let Woodson coach his third and fourth seasons and see where he’s got this program going.
Hurley turned Wagner around in two seasons. And then turned Rhode Island around and got them to the tournament his final two seasons. So his success at UConn should not come as a surprise.

Hopefully IU takes this stuff into account next time they're searching. Alumni and NBA hires have a very low hit rate for major college programs.

Reactions: IUgradman
Hurley turned Wagner around in two seasons. And then turned Rhode Island around and got them to the tournament his final two seasons. So his success at UConn should not come as a surprise.

Hopefully IU takes this stuff into account next time they're searching. Alumni and NBA hires have a very low hit rate for major college programs.
When Stevens turned IU down, Dolson was desperate. Woodson was a panic hire.

Purdue literally threw their best wr off the team last year for grades. Grades are and should be important to any program that cares about the kids. I hope IU does and continues to care about the young men and women playing sports for them.

Purdue literally threw their best wr off the team last year for grades. Grades are and should be important to any program that cares about the kids. I hope IU does and continues to care about the young men and women playing sports for them.
When Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State do that then I will
be impressed.

When Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State do that then I will
be impressed.
Ok. I wasn’t trying to impress anyone so there’s that. The post I responded to said to name anyone who made a kid sit for grades. I did. Furthermore if I ever knew IU didn’t give a crap about its players or their grades I would stop watching. I am sure many others would as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT