ADVERTISEMENT

U Washington athletics has a cash flow problem

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
They need loans from B1G and Fox! Eeeek!

The University of Washington’s athletic department forecasts a cash-flow deficit of nearly $30 million for the next fiscal year. It will ask the school’s board of regents next week to approve a budget that includes loans from three sources — the Big Ten, Fox and the university’s invested funds — to cover its costs.

B1G costs: How Washington plans to cover projected $30 million cash-flow deficit

They need loans from B1G and Fox! Eeeek!

The University of Washington’s athletic department forecasts a cash-flow deficit of nearly $30 million for the next fiscal year. It will ask the school’s board of regents next week to approve a budget that includes loans from three sources — the Big Ten, Fox and the university’s invested funds — to cover its costs.

B1G costs: How Washington plans to cover projected $30 million cash-flow deficit
When do they get BTN money. That should solve their problems

When do they get BTN money. That should solve their problems
I only glanced, but UW only gets $30M per year when they join the B1G, increasing by $1M/yr until 2030 when they get full share. The core B1G teams got ~$60M/yr this year and it’s going to $95M/yr over the next five years.

The Pac-12 was paying out $35-40M per year, it appears the B1G drove a tough bargain when they joined.

This is a five minute search so I could be missing something, but there doesn’t seem to be a quick fix coming when they join the B1G. Plus they will have to fund the $20M rev share when that starts (new CFB Playoff payout probably covers the rev share though). They’re in a bit of a tough spot for a while.

Last edited:
I only glanced, but UW only gets $30M per year when they join the B1G, increasing by $1M/yr until 2030 when they get full share. The core B1G teams got ~$60M/yr this year and it’s going to $95M/yr over the next five years.

The Pac-12 was paying out $35-40M per year, it appears the B1G drove a tough bargain when they joined.

This is a five minute search so I could be missing something, but there doesn’t seem to be a quick fix coming when they join the B1G. Plus they will have to fund the $20M rev share when that starts (new CFB Playoff payout probably covers the rev share though). They’re in a bit of a tough spot for a while.
Wait until they get the travel bills to Penal State, Maryland, and Rutger.

Good, they don't deserve it. Let em pay their dues. Doesn't that Microsoft guy live up there? He could take care of them with pocket change.

Honestly, you have to feel a bit for Oregon State and Washington State. I’m almost as interested to see what happens with them. They have a one year schedule this season in the WCC (West Coast Conference) and will play essentially a G5 schedule. The 10 schools that left have to pay $5 million each + some other penalty of $1.75 million each. So Oregon State and Washington State split a pot of around $67 million and play a couple of former PAC-12 foes in Oregon and Washington as old rivalries at the beginning of the season. I have a bit of soft spot for those two as they were basically kicked to the curb because they have no market and are out in the middle of nowhere.

Honestly, you have to feel a bit for Oregon State and Washington State. I’m almost as interested to see what happens with them. They have a one year schedule this season in the WCC (West Coast Conference) and will play essentially a G5 schedule. The 10 schools that left have to pay $5 million each + some other penalty of $1.75 million each. So Oregon State and Washington State split a pot of around $67 million and play a couple of former PAC-12 foes in Oregon and Washington as old rivalries at the beginning of the season. I have a bit of soft spot for those two as they were basically kicked to the curb because they have no market and are out in the middle of nowhere.
They will be playing the Mountain West Conference in football. The West Coast Conference does not play football, but maybe they will.compete in other sports.

This is going to be the kind of thing that destroys college sports if they don't get a handle on NIL.

The pie is only so big. If money HAD been going to the athletic department but now 25% (made up number) of those donations are going to NIL, then the school is having to get by with that much less.

It's all just one big ticking time bomb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT