ADVERTISEMENT

U of L Forum Board thinks Kelvin Sampson is their savior

I mean I really don’t want to argue but he knowingly broke the rules. The calls were against the rules and he knew it. He was by definition a cheater. Additionally he lied to both the University and the NCAA when he got caught.

He did get elite talent, in part through his cheating. He is a good coach. But he also cared more about winning than holding himself or his players accountable to the rules. You are free to like and root foe him. I despise him and people like him who will get ahead by any means necessary. To each their own.
If all coaches that break NCAA rules are cheaters then I wonder who isn’t a cheater. IU just needed cause to fire him. It would have made sense if they hired the right guy to replace him.

It’s so amusing how many IU fans genuinely think Sampson is a terrible human being with no moral compass because he made too many phone calls. You can’t make this stuff up. And we sit around puffing our chests out like we’re morally superior while these other programs play in March and April. Just complete wackos.
I 100% and right now Sampson is getting last laugh. I dont think he is by the book guy or very ethical but neither is Izzo and he is thought of like some sort of legend which is pathetic.

They can't go to Louisville?
I suppose they could but he may have other players coming back as well. I mean he is 66 I think he doesn't need the money and right now he has it rolling at Houston.

I suppose they could but he may have other players coming back as well. I mean he is 66 I think he doesn't need the money and right now he has it rolling at Houston.
Or.. Maybe he and his wife could view this as a last chance run at the Big Time and take on a 4-5 year deal then call it quits. If I were a UK fan, Give Sampson til his third year at Louisville and I’d be REALLY worried. I’d like to see him try it if he still has it in his tank.

Terrible human being is probably a stretch. The “too many phone calls” you mention were the least of his issues. Yes he knowingly broke the rules on multiple occasions for multiple universities. The real issue was he lied to both the NCAA and IU after he was found out. Additionally it was rumored (and by rumored I mean one of his players said) there was rampant drug use and Sampson knew about it but cared too much about winning to put a stop to it. So yeah, terrible human being might be a stretch but not by much.
Puff,puff pass!

50+ year IU legacy......

They all be like dat.....!

It’s so amusing how many IU fans genuinely think Sampson is a terrible human being with no moral compass because he made too many phone calls. You can’t make this stuff up. And we sit around puffing our chests out like we’re morally superior while these other programs play in March and April. Just complete wackos.
So your saying you'd rather have Indiana cheat or do anything that will get them into the NCAA Tournament and possibly win a Title. Then get caught and go through all the Turmoil U of L is going through. NTY

If all coaches that break NCAA rules are cheaters then I wonder who isn’t a cheater. IU just needed cause to fire him. It would have made sense if they hired the right guy to replace him.
I am sure there are a lot of coaches who work within the rules. I certainly would.

IU was absolutely correct in firing him. Unfortunately they did not hire a good coach to replace him. With that we are in complete agreement.

So your saying you'd rather have Indiana cheat or do anything that will get them into the NCAA Tournament and possibly win a Title. Then get caught and go through all the Turmoil U of L is going through. NTY
You’re trying to make a grey issue into black and white. It’s what people who try to sit on a moral high horse always try to do.

We have played in the grey just like many other programs. Even had assistants like Kenny Johnson and Chuck Martin. We’re not morally superior. Plenty of coaches have made mistakes. It’s not a death sentence and it certainly doesn’t make someone a bad person or coach because they’ve made mistakes.

Bruce Pearl is a great guy and a great coach. He’d be the first to admit he made a mistake lying to the NCAA. But that shouldn’t end someone’s career and with him it didn’t. The fact that so many sit on the imaginary high horse that only exists in their own mind doesn’t change reality.

I am sure there are a lot of coaches who work within the rules. I certainly would.

IU was absolutely correct in firing him. Unfortunately they did not hire a good coach to replace him. With that we are in complete agreement.
You should follow all the rules if you believe the NCAA is the highest moral authority and that they care more about the student athlete than the coach does.

Reactions: birdforbogey
The bar is so low there its underground
Denny Crum ran a tight ship and succeeded.
I thought UL (as an ‘84 GS alum) should have gotten someone who could be counted on to follow the rules.
UL could be risking the infamous ‘death penalty’ with repeated major violations.
Strippers in the athletic dorm was way too far for me.

You should follow all the rules if you believe the NCAA is the highest moral authority and that they care more about the student athlete than the coach does.
It has nothing to do with moral authority. It has to do with them being the governing body and they make the rules. My company isn’t the highest moral authority, but they make the rules and I follow them or they fire me and rightfully so.

Yes, unbelievable but folks on their Forum Board think Sampson's coaching style would be the best fit for them. Indeed he would, a Cheating coach for a cheating program. All the praises and glory about Mack is out the window and it's all Mack's fault for how the U of L team has been left in total disarray and an embarrassment on the floor these day's. Not a word about all the damage that Pitino did with the $$$ being paid to players and the loss of their mighty 2013 Chanpeenship being taken away by a cheating/sending Hookers in to party with the players.
Wouldn't someone like Sean Miller be more suitable for Louisville?

Louisville has a proud scandal tradition and, I don't know, Sampson's mere telephone violations seem beneath Louisville's standards. As I recall, Sampson's scandals didn't even involve the FBI.

Phone calls and paying players are legal now. In fact, a player could get an NIL deal advertising “whores for your dorm parties” and the NCAA and SCOTUS would begrudgingly say “young atheletes making bucks is good.” And in a bunch of states, they can do “legal weed” commercials.

Curfew is about the only left a coach can discipline you for. At least until players form a union.
Good post.

I couldn't find a video where someone reminds us the Sampson trouble just involved telephone calls. But this is a good one one to remind us to keep our omnipotent holier-than-thou
preaching in a realistic context:

It has nothing to do with moral authority. It has to do with them being the governing body and they make the rules. My company isn’t the highest moral authority, but they make the rules and I follow them or they fire me and rightfully so.
I wish I shared your perspective on the world.

Reactions: Beorik
I wish I shared your perspective on the world.
We each have to be able to live with ourselves first and foremost. I could never support a guy like Sampson. I would chose not to watch. But there is zero doubt that he would win a lot of games and be supported by many fans.

We each have to be able to live with ourselves first and foremost. I could never support a guy like Sampson. I would chose not to watch. But there is zero doubt that he would win a lot of games and be supported by many fans.
I think you are naive about the nature of rules, their creation and abolishment. Cooperation is not achieved through compliance alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT