Tuttle’s Loyalty Has Been Rewarded

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Simple as that.

Coach Allen is “walking the walk.”

It has good points and bad points, but that is what happened.

No reason to punish Tuttle.

(1) Tuttle stayed to get his MBA degree from IU, (2) he buys into LEO, (3) Coach Allen was willing to let him have his scholarship for this year even though his chance of playing was small, and (4) once we started losing and Baze/the new offense weren't yet clicking, the question arose whether to play Tuttle and the decision whether to “save a year for Jack” had to be addressed.

That coulda been done internally, maybe even deny teams the knowledge who to prepare for.

Announcing right now gives fans an answer to the question “why isn’t Jack Tuttle playing?“ and lets portal teams know he is gonna be available.

Remember Taysir Mack?

Coach Allen does what he thinks is best for the player.

Explains a lot.

Its the way it is and is gonna be.

It will get us some players. It will lose us some players.

Its our dna.

Get used to it.

Yes, fans have to get used to the new system in college football. The transfer portal changes things especially after players graduate from college. I wish Jack success at the school he chooses, the explanation shows why he isn't rotated in nor will he be so Williams is effectively the second string QB.

Simple as that.

(1) Tuttle stayed to get his MBA degree from IU, (2) he buys into LEO, (3) Coach Allen was willing to let him have his scholarship for this year even though his chance of playing was small, and (4) once we started losing and Baze/the new offense weren't yet clicking, the question arose whether to play Tuttle and the decision whether to “save a year for Jack” had to be addressed.

That coulda been done internally, maybe even deny teams the knowledge who to prepare for.

Announcing right now gives fans an answer to the question “why isn’t Jack Tuttle playing?“ and lets portal teams know he is gonna be available.

Remember Taysir Mack?

Explains a lot.

Its our dna.

Get used to it.
true... but weird to have a "captain" for the rest of the season who has already entered the portal.... doesn't exactly bode well for building team camaraderie....

Why does Williams have to be #2? Can't Tuttle play up to 4 games and still not lose eligibility?

Perhaps this is becoming a tradition. Don't forget that Coy Cronk was team captain when he transferred to Iowa.

Reactions: ulrey
Simple as that.

Remember Taysir Mack?

Explains a lot.

Its our dna.

Get used to it.
What are the eligibility rules regarding Tuttle this year? If he plays at all, does he lose the year? Is that the reason for the "save a year for Jack" notion?

What are the eligibility rules regarding Tuttle this year? If he plays at all, does he lose the year? Is that the reason for the "save a year for Jack" notion?
I haven’t seen the ”save Jack a year“ statement & have no context.

From yesterday’s presser:

Q. Hey, Coach, you know, not trying to ask you to give too much away, but with this announcement, does it change how you guys view the backup quarterback position going forward?

TOM ALLEN: No because I trust Jack. And he and I have talked that through and not at all. I believe that he's always been in the past ready when called upon. And I don't think that's going to change.

It seems Jack might still play. Guess the comment was about working with NCAA to allow him to finish this year, accommodate the portal window requirements, and give him the flexibility to go to a school on the semester system from Kelly which is on quarters.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sope Creek
Simple as that.

Remember Taysir Mack?

Explains a lot.

Its our dna.

Get used to it.

Sorry but you are going against the narrative in the other JT thread.
He didn't mention the coaches so.....

Fact: If Tuttle took every snap of every quarter of every game this year, he would still be eligible to play next year.
Sorry, I am confused. Is there a conflict? I think this is a fact and I don’t know who said ”save a year for Jack” or what they were talking about. I guessed it was about coordinating the transfer through the NCAA given his desire to remain with the team through the season and Kelly being on quarters and the current quarter ending before the season and potential landing spots starting their academic year before the next Kelly quarter would end. Coach Allen has said he remains the back up QB and I get some may question whether that is appropriate but it doesn’t impact saving Jack a year.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
true... but weird to have a "captain" for the rest of the season who has already entered the portal.... doesn't exactly bode well for building team camaraderie....
except that you have no idea how the players view him, how he interacts, how he leads. If he's nearly as mature and responsible as I have heard, this hasn't impacted his ability to lead one bit.

Sorry, I am confused. Is there a conflict? I think this is a fact and I don’t know who said ”save a year for Jack” or what they were talking about. I guessed it was about coordinating the transfer through the NCAA given his desire to remain with the team through the season and Kelly being on quarters and the current quarter ending before the season and potential landing spots starting their academic year before the next Kelly quarter would end. Coach Allen has said he remains the back up QB and I get some may question whether that is appropriate but it doesn’t impact saving Jack a year.
I think there was some confusion about what CTA meant when he used the phrase "saving a year". Some took it to mean that he had to redshirt this year to be eligible next season. Obviously with his extra year being a covid year that isn't the case. What CTA meant was that his transfer is complicated by the need to successfully enter the portal in the required timeframe, complete the quarter at Kelly, and still enroll elsewhere in January to satisfy NCAA transfer eligibility. JT, coach Allen, the athletic dept., Kelly, IU at large, and the NCAA all had to work in conjunction to make it happen.

I don't get a sense that there is any bad blood anywhere within the team, but some here like to manufacture drama and discontent to serve their agenda. From where I sit, it's not complicated. JT doesn't want to sit on the bench his last year of eligibility. Understandably he wants to be where he knows he will be the starting QB. CTA understands this as well, but can't make that guarantee. As I see it, everyone involved has acted honestly and honorably to help make it happen. It's sad that there are folks here who engage in juvenile speculation and between-the-lines inferences because they have a need to assign blame for anything and everything that doesn't play out the way they want.

I think there was some confusion about what CTA meant when he used the phrase "saving a year". Some took it to mean that he had to redshirt this year to be eligible next season. Obviously with his extra year being a covid year that isn't the case. What CTA meant was that his transfer is complicated by the need to successfully enter the portal in the required timeframe, complete the quarter at Kelly, and still enroll elsewhere in January to satisfy NCAA transfer eligibility. JT, coach Allen, the athletic dept., Kelly, IU at large, and the NCAA all had to work in conjunction to make it happen.

I don't get a sense that there is any bad blood anywhere within the team, but some here like to manufacture drama and discontent to serve their agenda. From where I sit, it's not complicated. JT doesn't want to sit on the bench his last year of eligibility. Understandably he wants to be where he knows he will be the starting QB. CTA understands this as well, but can't make that guarantee. As I see it, everyone involved has acted honestly and honorably to help make it happen. It's sad that there are folks here who engage in juvenile speculation and between-the-lines inferences because they have a need to assign blame for anything and everything that doesn't play out the way they want.
@8Stars5Banners

except that you have no idea how the players view him, how he interacts, how he leads. If he's nearly as mature and responsible as I have heard, this hasn't impacted his ability to lead one bit.
Reports from last winter were that Tuttle and Cam Jones were the guys who got the team together for workouts and instilled accountability in the workout process. How that translates to on the field performance and accountability, we don't know . . . .

Reactions: iu papa
Can't deny it... but you have to admit the optics of a captain transferring aren't good... There's not a lot of good feelings about the direction of the IUFB program right now, and this is another chink in the armor... If you're happy with the state of IUFB, then you're a better man than I.

Can't deny it... but you have to admit the optics of a captain transferring aren't good... There's not a lot of good feelings about the direction of the IUFB program right now, and this is another chink in the armor... If you're happy with the state of IUFB, then you're a better man than I.
If that (captaincy) is the only fact we look at, maybe.

But there is a lot more to it.

I said I was happy?

Just pointing out that there's always a lot more going on that what Keyboard Jockeys know

I said I was happy?

Just pointing out that there's always a lot more going on that what Keyboard Jockeys know
but keyboard jockeying is what we all know best here.... LOL. Let's face it... we're all just speculating about pretty much everything that's ever posted on every topic here. Those that claim to have "inside info" are usually wrong in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT