ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker to IU!

Also, for IU to make a jump that people want, Woodson is going to need to pull in some solid players that will end up coming off the bench. Is Tucker a presumptive starter or a guy that plays a supporting role for IU next year? We will probably have a better idea of that in couple of weeks once roster slots start filling up
He’ll be starting every game.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The Eric Bossi profile on him doesn't paint him as a bricklayer and actually calls him smooth, offensively. Just that his range doesn't yet go out to 3-point stripe with any consistency:

Tucker is a big wing who has a pretty polished game on the offensive end of the floor. He is able to use his size to finish in the lane where he is also a very functional athlete who can get off the floor quickly in small spaces, changes direction well in traffic and has a great frame to build on in a college weight room. Where he really stands out, though, is with his ability to score from the mid range. Tucker gets to his spots without wasting dribbles, elevates and is problematic for defenses trying to stop him from scoring from between 12 and 17 feet.

As Tucker gets away from the rim and shoots deeper jumpers, his shot does tend to flatten out a bit so while he's not a poor shooter from beyond the three-point line, there's still plenty of room for him to improve out there. While he's able to quickly get to his spots for one and two dribble pull-ups, Tucker could also benefit from developing his handle a bit more. Because of his size and ability to carry more muscle on his lean frame, he should be able to make the adjustment to the college game relatively quickly.

Well, just shoot more twos.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Tucker and he looks like a good player.

It is the roster construction that is crap. I doubt Tucker is coming to sit on the bench, so if Mgbako stays, then we are either choosing to do without a rim protector (shifting Reneau underneath) or we are choosing yet again to crowd the paint and have little to no outside threat.

the other option is mgbako is leaving and we effectively traded our only 3 pt shooter for a mid-range shooter.
To much talk of a rim protector. Did Miami need one when they beat our a$$? Most of the defensive work IU needs is at the guard spot. I’m ok with Malik at the 5. If you look at team blocks you won’t find many elite teams. In the top rankings.

Woody when he sees an athlete that can't shoot.

12359574.gif
Because, as we all know, shooting is the only skill that matters.

It is important, but so is having players who can do other things, contrary to what people here seemingly think.

Reactions: Thcgh
The thing is it will be year four so we pretty much know what to expect . Wooson brought in high level talent last spring and and we still didnt make the tourney. If he does not drastically change his offense nothing is going to change. We have a three year sample now and pound it in the post is not going to get you far in the tourney no matter how much talent you have.
Major missing parts last year. This years squad yet to be determined. If we have no on ball pressure or shooting next year I will join the boo birds… although I will not attack him personally

Reactions: 1987hoosiergrad
The thing is it will be year four so we pretty much know what to expect . Wooson brought in high level talent last spring and and we still didnt make the tourney. If he does not drastically change his offense nothing is going to change. We have a three year sample now and pound it in the post is not going to get you far in the tourney no matter how much talent you have.
No shooters are slashers who could finish. Let see how this new group does

Did Woodson discuss this with you? Did you share your alternative schemes ?
He commented on how his offense works and just need to hit more shots.

Maybe you should pay attention rather than post snarky responses

Sweet get! If he can't shoot well yet, he still has talent.

Great news.

I figure Buckner is advising Coach on recruiting. "Find someone with a shot like mine. I was effective in college and had a good NBA career too. And I couldn't shoot a lick."
So that's why we don't recruit shooters.

First Bates, then Reneau, then Mgbako, and now Tucker. Woodson can certainly close on these top freshmen after the season is over. And woo hoo., another bricklayer! He’s a perfect fit.
He is actually a pretty decent shooter but more of a mid range

He's definitely a WIP and certainly not somebody I hope the staff guaranteed 30 mpg too. But he's a high level athlete whom from all accounts is a willing defender and should be a solid asset. But this commitment shouldn't stop the staff from getting players to push his minutes. If he can play high level two-way basketball out of the gate, I hope he starts from day 1 and plays 30 minutes every night.
Duke was recruiting him so……..

Woodson isnt going to get shooters his offense is designed to go one on one or pound it in the paint. I would love to know what the final price tag was to get this guy. We now have five guards and still no shooters.
I'm happy with a high quality scorer who apparently has very good defensive skills. IU still has plenty of spots open for shooters and another post player.

Until the part where they need coaching. This year sucked, but for me, last year was all I needed to see from Coach Third Person Ego. We had 3 5*’s, one of which was a top player in the country, another of which was a first round pick, an upperclassman grad transfer that could shoot (but was told it wasn’t the coach’s job to get him shots), and still got smoked in the first weekend of the tournament. This guy could sign the dream team & we’d be middling. The repeated blowouts by virtually all good teams we play is quite telling.
Keep barking at the moon. We had a rooster construction and key injuries that exacerbated our our issues. Every team with weak guards is either sitting at home with us or getting bounced from the tourney.

To add a player like this now is huge. Nice work CMW and staff. Still, a long way to go.

What fans need to realize is McNeely wasn't going to make them conference title contenders alone and neither will this kid regardless of how good he may be. They need to add shooters, legit size and a more dynamic PG. This kid is a nice first step in the right direction.

First Bates, then Reneau, then Mgbako, and now Tucker. Woodson can certainly close on these top freshmen after the season is over. And woo hoo., another bricklayer! He’s a perf

Kansas and Duke wanted that leftover too.

Some of you just bitch to bitch and the ones that bitch the most generally know the least....

Bunch of rancid and bitter old women.
Very few IU fans on this board my guess is fans from other schools putting out bad vibes sad.

Reactions: Middawg
I’m paying plenty of attention. I’m only snarky with those who are still calling for a new coach while we are in the portal and those who make personal attacks.
Nobody is calling for a new coach next year anymore they decided to keep him. But he has alot to prove as a coach next season so many are not going to do cartwheels just cause he got one good player. He is going to have to prove it on the court and early on in the year we will see if anything has changed. He got two top ten players last spring and we missed the tourney so its hard to put much stock in what he gets until we see how he coaches them.

Watching UConn highlights this morning. Like last year, watching UConn‘s skilled big men stepping out and allowing interchangeable guards to drive to the basket for layups….. it doesn’t look like the same game being played.

Reactions: IUgradman
I’m paying plenty of attention. I’m only snarky with those who are still calling for a new coach while we are in the portal and those who make personal attacks.
If you were paying attention then you would know how I was aware he doubled down on sticking with his offense.

You just can't handle someone with a different opinion so you feel the need to act like a child

To add a player like this now is huge. Nice work CMW and staff. Still, a long way to go.

What fans need to realize is McNeely wasn't going to make them conference title contenders alone and neither will this kid regardless of how good he may be. They need to add shooters, legit size and a more dynamic PG. This kid is a nice first step in the right direction.
The twitter crowd begs to differ! In fact some think we can now go back and get mcneely to commit again. If nothing else twitter is a good read for pure comedy.

The twitter crowd begs to differ! In fact some think we can now go back and get mcneely to commit again. If nothing else twitter is a good read for pure comedy.
Has there been any news on McNeely since he recommitted?
I, for one, would still take him but I'm sure the "I hate CMW crowd" would not welcome him.

If MM stays, he really needs to play the 4. The problem is Reneau isn't yet much of a rim protector to be our lone presence in the post.
I would much rather MR play the 5 then have another year of two big men clogging the paint. It's 2024 and that doesn't win games that matter.

IU needs a solid backup big to spell him and two dynamic guards. If Mgbako comes back to play the 4 and those two things happen then Indiana might be okay next year.

I would much rather MR play the 5 then have another year of two big men clogging the paint. It's 2024 and that doesn't win games that matter.

IU needs a solid backup big to spell him and two dynamic guards. If Mgbako comes back to play the 4 and those two things happen then Indiana might be okay next year.
I agree that is the better route

Has there been any news on McNeely since he recommitted?
I, for one, would still take him but I'm sure the "I hate CMW crowd" would not welcome him.
Nothing. The hate CMW crowd actually knew he was the kind of player the team needed but with tucker on board and MM maybe coming back the three position would be very crowded and I assume they all want to start. I dont think there is any chance he would come back one of the reasons he backed out was because of the offense woodson runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT