ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker to IU!

My biggest concern from watching his highlights is that he really loves one on one contested turn -around jump shots from 10-14 feet. That's kind of his go to shot at the HS level.
He's been described as the best ISO player in the 24 class and one with a complete offensive skill set. Walking bucket.

And as you noted, his jumper is fine. At the least he has workable mechanics without a major glitch or flaw.

There's no negative in this get. None...

We have Gabe, Leal, Gallo and Reneau back so far.

Tucker makes it so we can run five out there.

What are you talking about with roster construction. He's a God damn McDonald's All American.

I must have missed how we were so good that we can pass on those type of kids. Silly me.
I wasn’t suggesting we pass. I was simply saying this is a case of our shit coach dropping a bag on whatever leftovers were available.

Doesn’t change our trajectory in the slightest.

I wasn’t suggesting we pass. I was simply saying this is a case of our shit coach dropping a bag on whatever leftovers were available.

You say you aren't shitting on him committing, yet, in the very next sentence, call him a leftover.

Once again, our fans.

I’m not going to make any predictions, but after watching that highlight video on the front page, he looks pretty smooth offensively (at least his shot seems ok, and he showed the ability to score in multiple ways). He may or may not pan out, depends on so many other variables, but I have to believe it’s a solid add to squad that has tons of openings and needed someone to get the ball rolling. I wish him luck.

He's been described as the best ISO player in the 24 class and one with a complete offensive skill set. Walking bucket.

And as you noted, his jumper is fine. At the least he has workable mechanics without a major glitch or flaw.

Also, for IU to make a jump that people want, Woodson is going to need to pull in some solid players that will end up coming off the bench. Is Tucker a presumptive starter or a guy that plays a supporting role for IU next year? We will probably have a better idea of that in couple of weeks once roster slots start filling up

Sorry, but about everyone on here is giving the kid a back-handed criticism by their expertise on roster construction and coaching. People on here were telling mcneely to decommit, or at least saying they would not blame him. Pretty bad support from a once-proud fan base.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Tucker and he looks like a good player.

It is the roster construction that is crap. I doubt Tucker is coming to sit on the bench, so if Mgbako stays, then we are either choosing to do without a rim protector (shifting Reneau underneath) or we are choosing yet again to crowd the paint and have little to no outside threat.

the other option is mgbako is leaving and we effectively traded our only 3 pt shooter for a mid-range shooter.

MM wants to play the 3 so unless they force him to play the four MM and Tucker will both be playing the same position. Somebody will have to sit.
If MM stays, he really needs to play the 4. The problem is Reneau isn't yet much of a rim protector to be our lone presence in the post.

MM staying is vital. I still can’t see how he can do better in the pros vs. IU’s NIL. He isn’t that good and cannot defend — G League doesn’t pay too well. He needs another year in college.

I think for alot of us it is not going to matter how many good players woodson gets this spring he will have to prove early on next seasons things have changed. He brought in two five star players last spring and we still missed the tourney. I was high on them last offseason and then boom the season stunk. So at this point woodson is going to have to prove it on the court just having a good roster on paper does not mean much to me anymore. Since we are removed from the season now and people are not seeing him coach twice a week I think it is easy to forget he has not been very good coch.

Great player hopefully Mgbako comes back start Tucker put Galloway on bench. I like Reneau, Mgbako, Tucker, now add some more shooters and I will be happy.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

There is no negative in getting Tucker as a player and in a vacuum this is an awesome get for IU.

However, the complaints stem from our crappy roster construction and need for outside shooters.

How good will Tucker be if defenses just pack the middle and leave no room for him to use his ISO ability?

If Woodson goes out and gets a starting level center instead of going after 2 starting guards, this board might explode lol

Reactions: nichlee
Also, for IU to make a jump that people want, Woodson is going to need to pull in some solid players that will end up coming off the bench. Is Tucker a presumptive starter or a guy that plays a supporting role for IU next year? We will probably have a better idea of that in couple of weeks once roster slots start filling up
It is not going to be that simple he will have to change the way he plays or it will not matter. Look at the way Nebraska just tore us apart three times with its modern offense and no way they had better talent they were just a far better team who knows how to use the three.

Great player hopefully Mgbako comes back start Tucker put Galloway on bench. I like Reneau, Mgbako, Tucker, now add some more shooters and I will be happy.
But MM wants to play the three and I sure the NBA scouts will also tell him he is three in the NBA.

There is no negative in getting Tucker as a player and in a vacuum this is an awesome get for IU.

However, the complaints stem from our crappy roster construction and need for outside shooters.

How good will Tucker be if defenses just pack the middle and leave no room for him to use his ISO ability?

If Woodson goes out and gets a starting level center instead of going after 2 starting guards, this board might explode lol
Why would it be “instead of?”

No it hasn’t, we’ve been a train wreck for a while now. Takes a little bit to resurrect a dead brand. We are the bud light of basketball.
When woodson is doubling down on running a bad offense, it is plenty long enough.

Reactions: kmathum
Why would it be “instead of?”

Option 1) 2 guards + SF) Tucker PF) Mgbako C) Reneau

or

Option 2) 1 guard + SG) Tucker SF) Mgbako PF) Reneau + 1 center

only 5 spots on the court. Option 2 is not looking good for outside shooting. the incoming guard better be an excellent on ball defender and sharpshooter from deep.

Wouldn't shock me if the staff feels that Mgbako coming back is unlikely.

It is not going to be that simple he will have to change the way he plays or it will not matter. Look at the way Nebraska just tore us apart three times with its modern offense and no way they had better talent they were just a far better team who knows how to use the three.
Guards and shooters, if we get better on ball defensive players maybe we don’t need to score as many points. It’s death by a combination of issues. No out side shooting couple with poor defense on the perimeter.

Reactions: nichlee
2 guards + SF) Tucker PF) Mgbako C) Reneau

or

1 guard + SG) Tucker SF) Mgbako PF) Reneau + 1 center

only 5 spots on the court.
There are 6-7 spots to fill. Getting a big man now does not preclude getting 2 guards later.

I have no reason to believe this kid is anything but a good player. But with this coaching staff does it really matter?

Reactions: IUgradman
I don't think anyone has an issue with Tucker and he looks like a good player.

It is the roster construction that is crap. I doubt Tucker is coming to sit on the bench, so if Mgbako stays, then we are either choosing to do without a rim protector (shifting Reneau underneath) or we are choosing yet again to crowd the paint and have little to no outside threat.

the other option is mgbako is leaving and we effectively traded our only 3 pt shooter for a mid-range shooter.
Harder to find mid-range scorers these days. Adds a whole new threat level to the offense. And we still have lots of room for long range guys.

Reactions: Thcgh and NotThatJC
Until the part where they need coaching. This year sucked, but for me, last year was all I needed to see from Coach Third Person Ego. We had 3 5*’s, one of which was a top player in the country, another of which was a first round pick, an upperclassman grad transfer that could shoot (but was told it wasn’t the coach’s job to get him shots), and still got smoked in the first weekend of the tournament. This guy could sign the dream team & we’d be middling. The repeated blowouts by virtually all good teams we play is quite telling.

No it hasn’t, we’ve been a train wreck for a while now. Takes a little bit to resurrect a dead brand. We are the bud light of basketball.
The thing is it will be year four so we pretty much know what to expect . Wooson brought in high level talent last spring and and we still didnt make the tourney. If he does not drastically change his offense nothing is going to change. We have a three year sample now and pound it in the post is not going to get you far in the tourney no matter how much talent you have.

Reactions: ulrey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT