ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker to IU!

Woody when he sees an athlete that can't shoot.

12359574.gif

First Bates, then Reneau, then Mgbako, and now Tucker. Woodson can certainly close on these top freshmen after the season is over. And woo hoo., another bricklayer! He’s a perfect fit.
Seems like more of the same. Maybe he clicks and is very good. We’ll see.

....woo hoo., another bricklayer! He’s a perfect fit.
The Eric Bossi profile on him doesn't paint him as a bricklayer and actually calls him smooth, offensively. Just that his range doesn't yet go out to 3-point stripe with any consistency:

Tucker is a big wing who has a pretty polished game on the offensive end of the floor. He is able to use his size to finish in the lane where he is also a very functional athlete who can get off the floor quickly in small spaces, changes direction well in traffic and has a great frame to build on in a college weight room. Where he really stands out, though, is with his ability to score from the mid range. Tucker gets to his spots without wasting dribbles, elevates and is problematic for defenses trying to stop him from scoring from between 12 and 17 feet.

As Tucker gets away from the rim and shoots deeper jumpers, his shot does tend to flatten out a bit so while he's not a poor shooter from beyond the three-point line, there's still plenty of room for him to improve out there. While he's able to quickly get to his spots for one and two dribble pull-ups, Tucker could also benefit from developing his handle a bit more. Because of his size and ability to carry more muscle on his lean frame, he should be able to make the adjustment to the college game relatively quickly.

Some of you cannot be satisfied. Does it really matter in this day and age of college sports if a kid commits in the fall or spring???

We should welcome Tucker and not be so critical of his game when probably none of us has watched him.

He is only 2-4 spots lower than mcneely is ranked in about every service.

Kid can play, is still only 17, and can develop.

We still have schollies for rim help, ball handling, and deep threats.

Some of you cannot be satisfied. Does it really matter in this day and age of college sports if a kid commits in the fall or spring???

We should welcome Tucker and not be so critical of his game when probably none of us has watched him.

In a vacuum, no one is criticizing this signing, that would be stupid.

It’s simply more evidence of Woodson not understanding roster construction and/ or modern day college basketball. That is unless every scouting report on the kid is wrong.

Reactions: IUgradman

I say welcome aboard. We can always use another guy to help bale out a sinking ship.

Sorry, but about everyone on here is giving the kid a back-handed criticism by their expertise on roster construction and coaching. People on here were telling mcneely to decommit, or at least saying they would not blame him. Pretty bad support from a once-proud fan base.

It’s simply more evidence of Woodson not understanding roster construction and/ or modern day college basketball. That is unless every scouting report on the kid is wrong.
An athletic wing player who can score and defend? Where the hell was that last year?

Sorry, but about everyone on here is giving the kid a back-handed criticism by their expertise on roster construction and coaching. People on here were telling mcneely to decommit, or at least saying they would not blame him. Pretty bad support from a once-proud fan base.
No one was telling McNeely to decommit. You’re making stuff up to try and support your narrative.

Reactions: Al Bino
I did look at some highlights and he’s athletic enough to get his own shot in the lane and is effective pulling up and hitting the mid range jumper. He’s also supposed to be a good defender.
Agree. He’s better to have than not.

First Bates, then Reneau, then Mgbako, and now Tucker. Woodson can certainly close on these top freshmen after the season is over. And woo hoo., another bricklayer! He’s a perfect fit.
Yes because it is a very short window where you present what you can pay them to come, etc and they want to make a quick decision . You do not have to spend a ton of time with them an build a relationship over half a year or more. He has trunks full of cash so that I assume very attractive to guys who sign late.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Purdue signed 6 guys last fall. So did Kentucky and Duke. People are critical about how woodson goes about constructing a roster at the last minute because he is a lazy recruiter the rest of the year. I am sure the kid is a big talent but the need for three point shooting is still as big as ever.

Reactions: ndhuntington
Great quote lol.

On #iubb commit Bryson Tucker... his dad told @TiptonEdits earlier this year:

"It’s like Jayson Tatum and Grant Hill had a child together.”

The Eric Bossi profile on him doesn't paint him as a bricklayer and actually calls him smooth, offensively. Just that his range doesn't yet go out to 3-point stripe with any consistency:

Tucker is a big wing who has a pretty polished game on the offensive end of the floor. He is able to use his size to finish in the lane where he is also a very functional athlete who can get off the floor quickly in small spaces, changes direction well in traffic and has a great frame to build on in a college weight room. Where he really stands out, though, is with his ability to score from the mid range. Tucker gets to his spots without wasting dribbles, elevates and is problematic for defenses trying to stop him from scoring from between 12 and 17 feet.

As Tucker gets away from the rim and shoots deeper jumpers, his shot does tend to flatten out a bit so while he's not a poor shooter from beyond the three-point line, there's still plenty of room for him to improve out there. While he's able to quickly get to his spots for one and two dribble pull-ups, Tucker could also benefit from developing his handle a bit more. Because of his size and ability to carry more muscle on his lean frame, he should be able to make the adjustment to the college game relatively quickly.

His form on 3s doesn't look bad at all. In fact, he's made every one I've seen him shoot (hehe). I'd be interested in seeing his HS 3 pt%.

My biggest concern from watching his highlights is that he really loves one on one contested turn -around jump shots from 10-14 feet. That's kind of his go to shot at the HS level.

Reactions: T.M.P.
His form on 3s doesn't look bad at all. In fact, he's made every one I've seen him shoot (hehe). I'd be interested in seeing his HS 3 pt%.

My biggest concern from watching his highlights is that he really loves one on one contested turn -around jump shots from 10-14 feet. That's kind of his go to shot at the HS level.
Can you do me a favor and link something on him? I don’t think I’ve seen one thing linked, and I know you’ve been poking around, and have good judgement. Thanks

We have Gabe, Leal, Gallo and Reneau back so far.

Tucker makes it so we can run five out there.

What are you talking about with roster construction. He's a God damn McDonald's All American.

I must have missed how we were so good that we can pass on those type of kids. Silly me.

Hope this doesn't mean Mgbako is gone, as he most certainly could benefit from another year of S & C & development.

Reactions: IUgradman
Can you do me a favor and link something on him? I don’t think I’ve seen one thing linked, and I know you’ve been poking around, and have good judgement. Thanks
There is a video linked now on the home page of this site.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Hope this doesn't mean Mgbako is gone, as he most certainly could benefit from another year of S & C & development.
MM wants to play the 3 so unless they force him to play the four MM and Tucker will both be playing the same position. Somebody will have to sit.

Reactions: ndhuntington
Woodson isnt going to get shooters his offense is designed to go one on one or pound it in the paint. I would love to know what the final price tag was to get this guy. We now have five guards and still no shooters.
And plenty of open spots

And plenty of open spots
Yes but we currently have one forward and 6 guards/wings. How many guards do you want on the team 7 or 8? Unfortunately they are now going to have to get and get at least two or three big men. MR is all they have.

He's definitely a WIP and certainly not somebody I hope the staff guaranteed 30 mpg too. But he's a high level athlete whom from all accounts is a willing defender and should be a solid asset. But this commitment shouldn't stop the staff from getting players to push his minutes. If he can play high level two-way basketball out of the gate, I hope he starts from day 1 and plays 30 minutes every night.

Reactions: turney333
I'm on record ..If Woodson gets us cooking 🍳 again..
I'll buy in..But I'm 💯 pct judging after about ten games.. And two of those against big time programs..
Show us your team CMW ~

Reactions: Al Bino
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT