ADVERTISEMENT

Trump gives Critical Race Theory the heave ho.

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
This order could be reason enough for Trump to get my vote.

In my view nothing can cause more division and perpetuate racial tension in the United States than advocating Critical Race Theory. The lynchpin of the theory is that race defines us as individuals and determines our destiny. CRT used to be a civil rights side show until recently. It grew in popularity as we struggled to explain the persistent and stubborn problem of minority underperformance and inequality despite the passage of civil rights laws at all levels of government. We then found ourselves immersed in a plethora of remedial measures intending to address past discrimination. These included affirmative action at all levels of employment and education, commercial preferences, public contracting set-asides for minority owned businesses, housing laws, and public accommodations requirements. All of this was overlaid with broad-based and liberal judicial remedies for individual acts of discrimination.

Despite all of this--we still face inequality in many areas. As we struggle for an explanation, CRT rose to the top with its notions that whites are and always will be racist, we are born in original sin, and all we need to do is confess our sin of privilege and everything will be better. This led to the proposition that most all aspects of our successful culture is inherently white and racist if for no other reason than white people tend to be more successful than black people*. The other side of this coin is the notion that groups are and always will be marginalized. This is terribly destructive. A more clear rejection of the theme of MLK's "I have a Dream" message would be hard to find. King never saw the Dream as white. He saw it as a goal that black people should have access to. CRT instructs us that The Dream is too white and it must be destroyed and replaced with race neutral dreams.

I could go on. Instead read all of this. The sooner we can break from CRT and understand that all of us together must strive for the same dream without condescension or confrontation, the better.

*This produced that disgusting Smithsonian poster about white culture.

EdE_-nSUMAA16cT.jpg

In my view nothing can cause more division and perpetuate racial tension in the United States than advocating Critical Race Theory. The lynchpin of the theory is that race defines us as individuals and determines our destiny. CRT used to be a civil rights side show until recently. It grew in popularity as we struggled to explain the persistent and stubborn problem of minority underperformance and inequality despite the passage of civil rights laws at all levels of government. We then found ourselves immersed in a plethora of remedial measures intending to address past discrimination. These included affirmative action at all levels of employment and education, commercial preferences, public contracting set-asides for minority owned businesses, housing laws, and public accommodations requirements. All of this was overlaid with broad-based and liberal judicial remedies for individual acts of discrimination.

Despite all of this--we still face inequality in many areas. As we struggle for an explanation, CRT rose to the top with its notions that whites are and always will be racist, we are born in original sin, and all we need to do is confess our sin of privilege and everything will be better. This led to the proposition that most all aspects of our successful culture is inherently white and racist if for no other reason than white people tend to be more successful than black people*. The other side of this coin is the notion that groups are and always will be marginalized. This is terribly destructive. A more clear rejection of the theme of MLK's "I have a Dream" message would be hard to find. King never saw the Dream as white. He saw it as a goal that black people should have access to. CRT instructs us that The Dream is too white and it must be destroyed and replaced with race neutral dreams.

I could go on. Instead read all of this. The sooner we can break from CRT and understand that all of us together must strive for the same dream without condescension or confrontation, the better.

EdE_-nSUMAA16cT.jpg
Cool story, Jan.

Sorry, but I can't take seriously an executive order that refers to press reports as evidence.

Why not?

IIRC, another POTUS first learned about important IRS misconduct "at the same time I did from the press".
Because it sounds stupid as a basis for a presidential executive order. But hey, I guess if Obama did it maybe it's okay. Right?

In answer to your other question, I've never heard of critical race Theory. And that includes 18 years working for the federal government. So I am not qualified to defend it.

From what I can gather he is seeking to eliminate racial sensitivity training in the federal government institutions.....in the middle of a summer of massive protests for racial justice.

The word I'd use is 'tone deaf' at a minimum.

What's being reported as the cause of this order is he thinks it's wrong to say that we had and we currently have a racial problem. Our history is a bit racist and God knows a nationalist can't accept that!

As far as your belief, quick social media glance doesn't seem to have much support among blacks, so unless you truly believe you know what's better than I'm not sure your view on this is the correct one.

Reactions: outside shooter
From what I can gather he is seeking to eliminate racial sensitivity training in the federal government institutions.....in the middle of a summer of massive protests for racial justice.

The word I'd use is 'tone deaf' at a minimum.

What's being reported as the cause of this order is he thinks it's wrong to say that we had and we currently have a racial problem. Our history is a bit racist and God knows a nationalist can't accept that!

As far as your belief, quick social media glance doesn't seem to have much support among blacks, so unless you truly believe you know what's better than I'm not sure your view on this is the correct one.

This is the new Trump/republican approach to major issues. It’s the same approach Trump and the republicans are taking regarding the virus. Ignore it and it suddenly doesn’t exist, or simply say it doesn’t exist and it suddenly doesn’t exist.

EdE_-nSUMAA16cT.jpg

At this point I think the small minority of people who have not made up their mind on how they're going to vote don't read anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: largemouth
I linked this Ali interview elsewhere, https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-52988605. He did not touch on white hats/black hats. White lies are good lies. Traditionally brides wear white. Black magic is evil, as is the dark side of the force. Sauron was the dark Lord. Ali did mention blackmail.

As to Ali's point, Google the word "angel" and look at images and see how many black angels you find compared to white.

Were the dark ages thought to be a good or bad era?

If you get put on the black list, it might give you a black eye that you could replace on the black market. Of course that could make you black balled which would make you the black sheep. Wasn't the ugly duckling black?

But no, there is absolutely no endemic racism anywhere. I hope this does not put you in a black mood.

Critical race theory is much different from racial sensitivity training. CRT rests on stereotyping "whiteness" and white. I can't explain the issue better than the link I provided or better than what is obvious from a review of the Smithsonian white culture message I posted. CRT seeks to elevate the status of minorities with whites self-deprecating exercises. This is new and contrary to the basic message of the "I have a dream" MLK speech.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I linked this Ali interview elsewhere, https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-52988605. He did not touch on white hats/black hats. White lies are good lies. Traditionally brides wear white. Black magic is evil, as is the dark side of the force. Sauron was the dark Lord. Ali did mention blackmail.

As to Ali's point, Google the word "angel" and look at images and see how many black angels you find compared to white.

If you get put on the black list, it might give you a black eye that you could replace on the black market. Of course that could make you black balled which would make you the black sheep. Wasn't the ugly duckling black?

But no, there is absolutely no endemic racism anywhere. I hope this does not put you in a black mood.

Black guys played villains in Black Panther one of whom played the man ape. Is that movie racist?

I don't have a big argument with your intent here. But I would say I don't believe it's very relevant to Critical Race Theory.

Black guys played villains in Black Panther one of whom played the man ape. Is that movie racist?

I don't have a big argument with your intent here. But I would say I don't believe it's very relevant to Critical Race Theory.

I think it is very relevant. We gloss over how our language is "White". Many of us do mot even realize it. In my career recently I have used the popular terminology about white hat hackers. Why should we not educate people about how things like our language can hurt people either intentionally or unintentionally.

I think it is very relevant. We gloss over how our language is "White". Many of us do mot even realize it. In my career recently I have used the popular terminology about white hat hackers. Why should we not educate people about how things like our language can hurt people either intentionally or unintentionally.

I can remember when Africa was referred to as the "Dark Continent". That was reinforced in many ways through movies and literature. That certainly suggested racism. That's not to suggest that everything like that is a "black or white" issue. In most cases black and white are used to designate polar opposites. I don't think terms such as "black ball" or even "behind the 8 ball" are the result of racism. Many racist overtones is a modern construct.

In any event, I think the Oakland Raiders did as much to associate black with toughness and aggressiveness as any single thing. Maybe also evil but not necessarily. Now scores of teams have incorporated black into their colors. I don't think that's because of racism. Maybe the NFL should ban black as a team color? That makes as much sense to me as kneeling.

All that being said, and while I can find some common ground with your point, this is not what CRT is about. We can't ameliorate the subtext of "black" by saying whites have been and are scum for which whites must apologize.

Critical race theory is much different from racial sensitivity training. CRT rests on stereotyping "whiteness" and white. I can't explain the issue better than the link I provided or better than what is obvious from a review of the Smithsonian white culture message I posted. CRT seeks to elevate the status of minorities with whites self-deprecating exercises. This is new and contrary to the basic message of the "I have a dream" MLK speech.

I read your comment to my wife and she said you don’t understand CRT.

Nothing you mention in your post was racist.

Should we never tell our kids that monsters under their beds are aren't real? It would be more beneficial to a person hurt by a word or phrase or a color name to explain the folly of letting a word or phrase or color name hurt them. While I believe it's important to identify and punish literal racial discrimination, I prefer as a society that we insist we ARE equal and behave accordingly.

Flip chart at a racism training.

article-5f54546fb9fca.jpg
A better or more obvious example of a violation of Title VII of the civil rights law would be hard to find.

Critical Race Theory has got to be rooted out and eliminated from discussions about race. Assigning works like White Fragility as required reading for employment or college admission is also a violation of Title VII.

“I don’t think any of us believe that the president has deep thoughts about critical race theory or that he’s read the 1619 Project,” she said. “These have really become watchwords for what the right sees as anti-white racism.”​

I apologize that I can’t expand upon my wife’s comment regarding COH’s misunderstanding of CRT - she’s too busy to explain the nuance of it - but I will refer to the fact that the EO referenced “reported press reports.” I thought reported was not a legit reason by some on this board. I thought we needed factual evidence rather than reported sources. And this is an EO.

In nearly two decades working in and around federal agencies, I've never even once heard this term, and certainly never heard of an actual training within the federal govt based upon anything along these lines.

But if one is going to vote for someone based upon pure strawman EOs, you do you...

In nearly two decades working in and around federal agencies, I've never even once heard this term, and certainly never heard of an actual training within the federal govt based upon anything along these lines.

But if one is going to vote for someone based upon pure strawman EOs, you do you...
My strong suspicion would be that, before Trump's EO was announced, COH had never heard of the term, either.

While CRT has lurked in the background for a while, it began to get traction with the publication of White Fragility and has become a stylish and trendy subject of racism training in the last couple years. Current events have kicked in the afterburners. There are a number of problems with it. Primarily It rebukes MLK’s views of racial harmony by building insurmountable barriers to common understandings. I don’tknow how deeply Trump has dug into it, but frankly I don’t think it takes a great depth of knowledge to see its destructive nature. I really don’t care if Trump first heard of it on Fox. The point is ordering it to be cleansed from employee training is a very good thing. Hopefully the federal courts will drive a stake through it.

While CRT has lurked in the background for a while, it began to get traction with the publication of White Fragility and has become a stylish and trendy subject of racism training in the last couple years. Current events have kicked in the afterburners. There are a number of problems with it. Primarily It rebukes MLK’s views of racial harmony by building insurmountable barriers to common understandings. I don’tknow how deeply Trump has dug into it, but frankly I don’t think it takes a great depth of knowledge to see its destructive nature. I really don’t care if Trump first heard of it on Fox. The point is ordering it to be cleansed from employee training is a very good thing. Hopefully the federal courts will drive a stake through it.

We could forever find examples of such ridiculous things if we ran our govt based upon what nugget of shit Tucker Carlson digs up for his infotainment program

Reasonable adults wouldn't expect a President to be concerned with such nonsense. But it obviously tickles your erogenous zones.

Back in the real world, wildly illegal EOs are being implemented... such as the payroll tax deferral, which is most likely to leave a surprise extra tax bill of about $1500 for a ton of workers next spring. A total unmitigated mess, driven by an egomaniacal wannabe dictator

We could forever find examples of such ridiculous things if we ran our govt based upon what nugget of shit Tucker Carlson digs up for his infotainment program

Reasonable adults wouldn't expect a President to be concerned with such nonsense. But it obviously tickles your erogenous zones.

Back in the real world, wildly illegal EOs are being implemented... such as the payroll tax deferral, which is most likely to leave a surprise extra tax bill of about $1500 for a ton of workers next spring. A total unmitigated mess, driven by an egomaniacal wannabe dictator

If we are lucky it is just an extra tax bill. Trump said his goal if reelected it to make the deferral permanent. That would be devastating to Social Security. I can't imagine that will play in Florida, but I suspect they won't care.

What does Tucker Carlson have to do with this?

What is ridiculous about ending all racism CRT training? Any message that divides people by race, then assigns specific individual behavior based on that race and then shames a single race with group name calling is not scientific, is stupid, and illegal.

I thought Trump was supposed to be the dumb racist.

If we are lucky it is just an extra tax bill. Trump said his goal if reelected it to make the deferral permanent. That would be devastating to Social Security. I can't imagine that will play in Florida, but I suspect they won't care.
Is the payroll tax deferral actually being implemented to any extent? I've not seen or heard that it has been, and everything I have seen or heard says that it's up to the employer and that no employer in his right mind would actually do it.

The payroll tax as structured has always been seen by liberals as unfair because it hits low and middle incomes the hardest. Trump said we should fund SS out of the general fund taxes. Not sure I agree with that, but I would think a liberal would be more likely to agree with that change than a conservative.

In my experience of running a small business, payroll taxes were always considered in decisions to expand staff. Since Trump is singularly focused on jobs, I think he sees payroll tax as an impediment to job growth. He could be right, I dunno.

What is ridiculous about ending all racism CRT training? Any message that divides people by race, then assigns specific individual behavior based on that race and then shames a single race with group name calling is not scientific, is stupid, and illegal.

Trump divides people by race but you think he should be re-elected.

Trump specifically referenced a clip from Tucker's show in a tweet, prior to the EO. How gullible are you?

Reactions: IU73 and UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT