ADVERTISEMENT

Truly disgusted

The racism in MAGA is imputed to MAGA by those who are too weak, lazy, or both thinkers to really explain why they oppose MAGA. Calling Trump names or dwelling on his personality won’t cut it. I’m MAGA and have said what that means often.

Here is my challenge to you. Explain why you oppose MAGA without using the words Trump or race.
MAGA = Trump. Until he is a carcass nothing can change that

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
While I largely agree about the lawlessness part — public sentiment on border security, in particular, has shifted quite a bit and put opponents of it on the defensive — they aren’t mutually exclusive ideas.

In fact, many of the Haitians in Ohio are here legally under TPS. So lawlessness clearly isn’t the issue with them - unless people just mistakenly default to the assumption that most anybody here (from Haiti or otherwise) is here illegally.

I think there is a lot of xenophobia surrounding immigration. I just think it’s to be expected - as it’s long been the historical norm when people migrated.

Weren’t most Native American tribes xenophobic when the European settlers came here? I’d say they were. But, for whatever reason, we don’t tend to indict them for it - probably because their fears of losing their cultural and social autonomy were realized.
The natives has also never seen a white person before. If a green alien lands I think we can agree to be hesitant. But in 2024 we have no excuse to fear Haitians

The issue is economics and lack of resources. You either don’t understand or don’t want to understand. So, you revert to the Democrat play book of name calling and dehumanizing poorer Americans.
I’ve never name called or dehumanized a poor American. Not sure where this accusation originates

The natives has also never seen a white person before. If a green alien lands I think we can agree to be hesitant. But in 2024 we have no excuse to fear Haitians

The reason you think that is because you’re starting from the flawed premise that the underlying fear and angst is driven primarily by race. It’s not - it’s driven primarily by culture.

It’ll make more sense to you once you come to realize this, if you ever do. But I’m skeptical you will…which is not unusual for people who are insistent that almost everything finds its way back one way or another to racism.

The reason you think that is because you’re starting from the flawed premise that the underlying fear and angst is driven primarily by race. It’s not - it’s driven primarily by culture.

It’ll make more sense to you once you come to realize this, if you ever do. But I’m skeptical you will…which is not unusual for people who are insistent that almost everything finds its way back one way or another to racism.

I would also add to this that it’s foolish to expect that humans will ever overcome human nature. I’m quite sure that it’s pretty much etched in stone.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Definitely not true with me. I’ve generally poo-pood all the whining and race baiting BS through the years, but this “Haitians eating pets” BS by Trump/Vance really bothered me and those who discount it are being very naive. We welcomed the Ukrainians with open arms. Vastly different cultural background but low skin melanin. And we had communities suddenly inundated with Ukrainians. Maybe not 30K but still a lot. But Haitians don’t look like us and they have voodoo dolls of DANC and DBM. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see what the top of the Republican ticket is trying to do with this to manipulate voters. I’m almost 54 but I’m still pretty pliable with my ability to discern

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Definitely not true with me. I’ve generally poo-pood all the whining and race baiting BS through the years, but this “Haitians eating pets” BS by Trump/Vance really bothered me and those who discount it are being very naive. We welcomed the Ukrainians with open arms. Vastly different cultural background but low skin melanin. And we had communities suddenly inundated with Ukrainians. Maybe not 30K but still a lot. But Haitians don’t look like us and they have voodoo dolls of DANC and DBM. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see what the top of the Republican ticket is trying to do with this to manipulate voters. I’m almost 54 but I’m still pretty pliable with my ability to discern
The issue was the amount of migrants. You’re once again dehumanizing the Springfield citizens. Why do you hate poor people so much?

Part of that, too, is that these cultures assimilated.
A fair point that I considered including.

But I decided not to because (a) the American citizenry of that time wouldn’t have known they would…at least when it first started happening, and (b) so high a percentage of American citizens of that era were themselves only a generation or two removed from parents or grandparents who were immigrants.

But, yes, the concept of assimilation is very important when discussing immigration and culture. It’s OK that people, wherever they live, value their culture and don’t want to see it affected, altered, put in conflict with other ones.

It can be useful to imagine how we’d look at a similar situation with the roles reversed.

Part of that, too, is that these cultures assimilated.
It is a fascinating thing to watch. We have the second most Bosnians in the world after Bosnia itself. They’ve been here since the war. And while they’ve assimilated they very much stick together. Live in the same neighborhood. Kids are all friends with each other. Create consolidated economic areas. Even submit their own teams to leagues. It’s our nature to somewhat gravitate to our own. Watch any prison show

It is a fascinating thing to watch. We have the second most Bosnians in the world after Bosnia itself. They’ve been here since the war. And while they’ve assimilated they very much stick together. Live in the same neighborhood. Kids are all friends with each other. Create consolidated economic areas. Even submit their own teams to leagues. It’s our nature to somewhat gravitate to our own. Watch any prison show
Very true. And I agree that it’s fascinating.

But some people are just so jaundiced about these issues - and they almost invariably end up ascribing nefarious motives to it. I tend to look at it as being about as predictable as the sunrise.

I’m not saying this, at all, to defend the nonsense about cat-eating Haitians. That messaging campaign was, like many narratives in Trump-world, just callous and bizarre.

But as a general point, it’s very normal for natives to be squeamish about the introductions of foreign cultures…especially when the one thing people know (or think they know) about Haitian culture is the Vodou that most Americans only understand as something of a spooky cultural oddity in New Orleans.

To compare that to the Swedes, for instance, just misses this point entirely.

Very true. And I agree that it’s fascinating.

But some people are just so jaundiced about these issues - and they almost invariably end up ascribing nefarious motives to it. I tend to look at it as being about as predictable as the sunrise.

I’m not saying this, at all, to defend the nonsense about cat-eating Haitians. That messaging campaign was, like many narratives in Trump-world, just callous and bizarre.

But as a general point, it’s very normal for natives to be squeamish about the introductions of foreign cultures…especially when the one thing people know (or think they know) about Haitian culture is the Vodou that most Americans only understand as something of a spooky cultural oddity in New Orleans.

To compare that to the Swedes, for instance, just misses this point entirely.
The "other" is scary until a person is directly exposed to the "other" and then that person realizes that "other" is just a human being who share many of the same values as they do.

The thing that sticks out to me is that it's not the locals who have driven this. It's national politicians who see an opportunity to exploit fear. It's effective because, while the people in Springfield who live and work with Haitians mostly are transcending that fear of the other, the people nationally responding to it don't have the interaction to do so and remain scared. The folks in Springfield have and are finding that there is a lot more to Haitians than voodoo.

The "other" is scary until a person is directly exposed to the "other" and then that person realizes that "other" is just a human being who share many of the same values as they do.

The thing that sticks out to me is that it's not the locals who have driven this. It's national politicians who see an opportunity to exploit fear. It's effective because, while the people in Springfield who live and work with Haitians mostly are transcending that fear of the other, the people nationally responding to it don't have the interaction to do so and remain scared. The folks in Springfield have and are finding that there is a lot more to Haitians than voodoo.

I agree with this for the most part.

But wake me up the next time we have politicians who don’t exploit fear for political gain. It tends to work and is also about as predictable as the sunrise - which is why it’s notable when one comes along who doesn’t do this.

It’s one of the primary reasons I was so fond of Mitch Daniels. The only thing he’s really ever stoked fear about is our public debt - which I think warrants more fear than it usually elicits.

I agree with this for the most part.

But wake me up the next time we have politicians who don’t exploit fear for political gain. It tends to work and is also about as predictable as the sunrise - which is why it’s notable when one comes along who doesn’t do this.

It’s one of the primary reasons I was so fond of Mitch Daniels. The only thing he’s really ever stoked fear about is our public debt - which I think warrants more fear than it usually elicits.
Yeah. Democrats exploit fear a ton and it makes me really frustrated. I've been a fan of the pushes Harris made to put an aspirational face on her campaign. I suppose when you are running against Donald Trump you can try to let him do the negative heavy lift for you.

I disagree with Mitch Daniels politically, but have a ton of respect for him. Totally get why you have been such a big fan.

Reactions: crazed_hoosier2

I call bullshit on the locals not driving it. If people didn’t care it wouldn’t be a news story. Also, the Democrats are polling terrible with immigration for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT