ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Laing in Portal

Because Congress passed a law giving the NFL an exemption from antitrust laws.
I don’t think that’s right. AFAIK, baseball has the only antitrust exemption and that was created by the Supreme Court like 100 years ago.

Also AFAIK, a union being involved for a sport takes a lot of laws out the equation since everything is negotiated for.

I don’t think that’s right. AFAIK, baseball has the only antitrust exemption and that was created by the Supreme Court like 100 years ago.

Also AFAIK, a union being involved for a sport takes a lot of laws out the equation since everything is negotiated for.
You're right... the MLB is the only pro sports league with the antitrust exemption. As much as I do not care for government intervention in business, I think the NFL should at least have the same benefits MLB has....

As for college sports and the NCAA, not so much. Our College Presidents and AD's shouldn't be allowed any more control than they've already had and botched. Time and again the NCAA has shown itself to be nothing more than the equivalent of politicians who don't understand how to run a business properly.

Reactions: vesuvius13

You are partially correct. I checked, and the NFL does have a partial antitrust exemption, but it doesn't apply to player contract negotiations. Players in the NFL can't sue for antitrust because they negotiated their terms in their CBA. My bad.

I thought transfers were unlimited now.

Good article. I do find it humorous that the SEC coaches are complaining. They've been cheating their a-- off for decades down there. Their biggest complaint (unsaid but clearly understood) has to be that everyone else is in on the bagman $$$ deal...

Good article. I do find it humorous that the SEC coaches are complaining. They've been cheating their a-- off for decades down there. Their biggest complaint (unsaid but clearly understood) has to be that everyone else is in on the bagman $$$ deal...
Remember the uproar when Harbaugh was just copying their own bagmen by trying to start a football camp just like it, in their backyard?

That's unfair! It's cheating!

LOL, I almost couldn't believe it.

Remember the uproar when Harbaugh was just copying their own bagmen by trying to start a football camp just like it, in their backyard?

That's unfair! It's cheating!

LOL, I almost couldn't believe it.
That is the reason he went back to the NFL to avoid the punishment that Michigan will be punished.

Reactions: red hornet
Does the NCAA pulling scholarships have any teeth anymore? Just pay the player, oops sorry, I mean have the NIL collective pay the players.

I suppose they could reduce the number of allowed players on the sideline for a game instead. Opening themselves to lawsuits on increased risk of injuries though.

Does the NCAA pulling scholarships have any teeth anymore? Just pay the player, oops sorry, I mean have the NIL collective pay the players.

I suppose they could reduce the number of allowed players on the sideline for a game instead. Opening themselves to lawsuits on increased risk of injuries though.

Players aren't going to want to use their own NIL money to pay for school when there are plenty of other schools that will give him a scholarship AND NIL money.

Losing scholarships are all about depth pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT