ADVERTISEMENT

Trend or coincidence

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
So last year we had a handful of players that had earned quite a lot of hype from their play the previous season...they did not live up to that hype, at all, last year.

Penix... He ended up getting injured, but he wasn't nearly as good early on last season as he was when he was healthy in previous seasons. All health related?
Fryfogle...He was on All American watch lists heading into last season. I know Penix getting hurt contributed. But Fryfogle himself had a ton of drops last year. And he struggled mightily getting off defenders, and getting himself open.
Hendershot...similar to Fryfogle...tons of hype, tons of drops.

Fast forward to this year...our secondary, through their play last year, and the year before, came into this season with a ton of hype. Some listed them as one of the best secondaries in the B10. Obviously that isn't playing out that way, at all.

I could be way off base...but here's my concern. Allen, by virtue of his personality, is always trying to "fix things". I'm worried that he/his staff aren't establishing any levels of consistency with his various different units. He'll focus on certain aspects, it'll get better, players will get hot, etc... But there isn't any sort of plan or program in place for players and units that do end up having success, to continue to build on that success when Allen/Coaches move on to focus on other areas of the team.

As an example...our DLine and Linebackers are noticeably better this year overall holding their spots, filling holes, tackling, etc... Obviously Allen's renewed interested and focus on the defense is contributing to that...the front 7 is his specialty if I'm not mistaken. But the secondary looks like they've basically never played football before. And we're talking All B10 guys like Mullen and Williams. Why?

I don't know...just a wacked out conspiracy theory probably. I just don't think Allen has the 'Saban like' ability to make sure all the players are staying on task and getting better.

So last year we had a handful of players that had earned quite a lot of hype from their play the previous season...they did not live up to that hype, at all, last year.

Penix... He ended up getting injured, but he wasn't nearly as good early on last season as he was when he was healthy in previous seasons. All health related?
Fryfogle...He was on All American watch lists heading into last season. I know Penix getting hurt contributed. But Fryfogle himself had a ton of drops last year. And he struggled mightily getting off defenders, and getting himself open.

Fast forward to this year...our secondary, through their play last year, and the year before, came into this season with a ton of hype. Some listed them as one of the best secondaries in the B10. Obviously that isn't playing out that way, at all.

I could be way off base...but here's my concern. Allen, by virtue of his personality, is always trying to "fix things". I'm worried that he/his staff aren't establishing any levels of consistency with his various different units. He'll focus on certain aspects, it'll get better, players will get hot, etc... But there isn't any sort of plan or program in place for players and units that do end up having success, to continue to build on that success when Allen/Coaches move on to focus on other areas of the team.

As an example...our DLine and Linebackers are noticeably better this year overall holding their spots, filling holes, tackling, etc... Obviously Allen's renewed interested and focus on the defense is contributing to that...the front 7 is his specialty if I'm not mistaken. But the secondary looks like they've basically never played football before. And we're talking All B10 guys like Mullen and Williams. Why?

I don't know...just a wacked out conspiracy theory probably. I just don't think Allen has the 'Saban like' ability to make sure all the players are staying on task and getting better.
M Ball as well

Reactions: vesuvius13

Your theory doesn't hold water as DBs have had the same coaches since before 2020. I like that you are looking at reason to explain what is going on, but I can't see any rhyme nor reason for IU so far this season unless it is practice time cut due to trying to get backups ready to step in. Offense and defense are both going through changes IE offense hurry up all the time, defense getting 30 ready to play. Has this led to the problems so far, who knows. I do know coach Allen took a different approach to practice this week, we will see if it works.

Tell me more.
Basically what they did was try to address getting out of the gate faster.
Allen is doing so by getting the team directly involved in one-on-one competitive offense vs. defense situations. Instead of starting out practice with separate unit drills, he’s getting them going full offense in defense and hitting work right at the start. It doesn’t sound like a horrible idea, to be honest.

Your theory doesn't hold water as DBs have had the same coaches since before 2020. I like that you are looking at reason to explain what is going on, but I can't see any rhyme nor reason for IU so far this season unless it is practice time cut due to trying to get backups ready to step in. Offense and defense are both going through changes IE offense hurry up all the time, defense getting 30 ready to play. Has this led to the problems so far, who knows. I do know coach Allen took a different approach to practice this week, we will see if it works.
My theory…. We’re IUFB

At the beginning of game last week, I saw 2 open field tackles made by our dbs so I thought that was fixed…but coverage was not as I saw a lot missed communication and not being at right spot at snap of ball

You're talking about Caleb Jones, right? Dude was a potentially great OL and dropped off . . . significantly.

My guess: lack of competition/accountability . . . he knew he'd won the right tackle job . . . with less than 100% commitment. I think his "success" in Green Bay bears that out.

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT