ADVERTISEMENT

Trap Game? Let's Hope Not...

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

This is a game that everyone (including me) thinks we'll Win by 30+ but if our players don't play up to their standard and sleep walk their way through this game our magical season bubble might be embarrassingly burst by these guys... They have enough talent to have given North Carolina (@ NC) more than they expected, putting up 20 points while scoring in every quarter...

Hopefully our Team has their focus on this game and not on what could be...,or what could be might flip to never will be (at least not this season)...

This is a game that everyone (including me) thinks we'll Win by 30+ but if our players don't play up to their standard and sleep walk their way through this game our magical season bubble might be embarrassingly burst by these guys... They have enough talent to have given North Carolina (@ NC) more than they expected, putting up 20 points while scoring in every quarter...

Hopefully our Team has their focus on this game and not on what could be...,or what could be might flip to never will be (at least not this season)...
It is another question to be answered this weekend. How do we handle success? It is the next item to change in the culture of this program.

Coach Cig is well aware of the possibility of a let down. He has guarded against it with other teams and has spoken of it several times He brought 13 players from JMU that have been through this. A letdown is possible, but unlikely with this team and with Coach Cig. A Tom Allen team with his players would be in more danger (Akron) of playing down to the competition.

I'll be concerned as the game starts. I have too many years of repeated failures. Coach Cig has said what I have been saying for years. Indiana can be a winning program with the right coach and focus.

We're 3-0 (halfway to bowl eligibility!) and we'll be 4-0 after winning comfortably this Saturday. That said, I'm grateful for a thread that deals with short term considerations and not implausible scenarios like whether Cignetti's going to leave after the season or whether a 10-2 record will be enough for IU to make the CFP.

IU's next real test will be Sep 28 vs. Maryland.

I could see us coming out flat but Charlotte is not good.
This is the last tune up game,it gets tougher after this week.
Actually I’m a bit worried about the Maryland game.
The hype will only get worse if we start 4-0,CCC will probably be on them early and often next week.

Totally different team than past Indiana teams and with a coach that would rather see his players step on the neck of the other team rather than play Walt Bell pitter patter. I think Charlotte is OK, but if we play anywhere near the level of what we did against UCLA, it will be a big win.

There's a few huge things that I love about Cig's mentality: (1) No stupid bullhorn; (2) no constant pregame, pre practice, etc speeches.; and (3) While we get the Cig glare (which is awesome because it speaks volumes), we do not get a coach losing his sh*t on the sideline. This team seems super excited to play because they are on a mission, and it is hard to see Cig ever letting the team not want to bury the opponent

I think Cig teams are less likely to get trapped. His mental approach is too much about execution.

“Is your goal winning 3 or playing like a pro every snap every day?”

My concern is a full Fall camp, then a noon kickoff for a 4th game after a red eye flight - getting tired and just being off a count. Rest and proper diet is huge this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT