ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins (sounds like he's coming here to me)

Last night listening to assembly call coach broke it down pretty good that maybe we should wait on the best pg available since nothing is going to change in his offense and Woodson has to have a elite point guard for his offense and a rim protector.

How do we know his offense needs an elite point guard? Is an elite point guard mean someone that can go one on one and drive the lane and hope for a foul?

How do we know his offense needs an elite point guard? Is an elite point guard mean someone that can go one on one and drive the lane and hope for a foul?
At the bare minimum, your PG should:

a) run and initiate your offense effectively
b) protect the ball at all costs

Perkins passes both those with flying colors. 2 year starter on offenses that finished 4th and 15th in KenPom and has a 2.5:1 A/TO in same time frame. He's a plus defender who can get to the hole and finish. Shoots FT at 78%.

Last night listening to assembly call coach broke it down pretty good that maybe we should wait on the best pg available since nothing is going to change in his offense and Woodson has to have a elite point guard for his offense and a rim protector.

Perkins may be the best PG available. We've contacted 19 guards in total in the portal and have only scheduled 2 visits, both from Indiana, with interest from Perkins, also from Indiana. We got nowhere with Carlyle or Gillespie and don't seem to have contacted Mack. What do you have in mind?

Perkins may be the best PG available. We've contacted 19 guards in total in the portal and have only scheduled 2 visits, both from Indiana, with interest from Perkins, also from Indiana. We got nowhere with Carlyle or Gillespie and don't seem to have contacted Mack. What do you have in mind?
You mean almost no one wants to play for an NIT level team.

Reactions: bailey777
Is it really that surprising? Most guards do not want to play in woodsons outdated system. Unless money is gong to be their sole motivatin it probably will be tough to get top notch guards who can shoot.

Exactly but I was just told I am just complaining because I dare question that. Seems it will jsut be rinse and repeat with the offense again. Like last spring he can probably put a team together that looks good on paper but will be flawed once again in key areass.
OK, you find the profile of the 5* kid you want from HS and the portal kid who defends, scores 15ppg and shoots 40% from 3s. You don't get to pick who enters the portal and Dalton Knecht is going pro, not back to the portal. We do need 7 guys and a good solid PG and 5* athletic wing would fill a lot of needs. As something I read said, there are only 3 top 50 HS guys left uncommitted (and McNeeley is 1 of the 3), so the question is not whether this guy fills all our needs (hint: no one player does!), it's are you saying the staff should've passed on him? Is that what you're saying?

FWIW, I'd guess most think, yes, take them and then look for shooters elsewhere. No worries, we gotcha down that these 2 are mistakes and we shoulda held out exclusively for players shooting north of 40%. And if it's not what you are saying, then yes, you are whining.

Last edited:
Hey Woody-

Season 5 Epiosde 4 GIF by ABC Network

Where are the 3-point shooters???

Exactly but I was just told I am just complaining because I dare question that. Seems it will jsut be rinse and repeat with the offense again. Like last spring he can probably put a team together that looks good on paper but will be flawed once again in key areass.

Rinse and repeat describes your posts. To save time, you should just write one post, copy, and use for all future replies. BIG time saver.

Yes. And Trey had 3 games of 11 or more assists. His minutes can include some backup pg. If we are able to get Perkins and Hickman, Cupps is going to be fighting for spot minutes.
I'm not so sure Perkins would play in front of Galloway. They're practically the same player.

I'm not so sure Perkins would play in front of Galloway. They're practically the same player.
He won't, he'd play with him. Without a homerun in the portal, and especially with how CMW has been loyal to guys, TG is the starting 2G next year. Just because TG had a lot of assists in a few games when he had to play more PG doesn't make him a PG. Just like a good shooting streak on limited attempts the year prior didn't make him a deadly knock down 3 pt shooter. TG isn't a PG.

Reactions: Thcgh
Tony Perkins is a 100% upgrade over X. He'll allow Cupps to play a role he should be ready for next season (10 -15 minutes against reserves). Perkins isn't a great shooter but he can play a combo guard type when the situation calls for it.

Why would he want 3-point shooters?

How many schollies do we have left? Can we hold off on our bitching until we fill the spots? Holy crap! Some of you need to get a life! Griping about a half complete roster 2 weeks after the portal opens with most of the best players still playing and have not entered. Pathetic. Bitch and moan in July.

How many schollies do we have left? Can we hold off on our bitching until we fill the spots? Holy crap! Some of you need to get a life! Griping about a half complete roster 2 weeks after the portal opens with most of the best players still playing and have not entered. Pathetic. Bitch and moan in July.
#inwoodywetrust1980

Reactions: 4IUfourever
We need an upgrade for Trey. If the 3 isn’t a shooter, then we can’t have our 2 and 3 not being able to spread the floor.

I think those complaining are upset about IU being the only team that hasn’t yet completed its roster with exactly the players needed. The question is why aren’t you complaining about that?

Is it really that surprising? Most guards do not want to play in woodsons outdated system. Unless money is gong to be their sole motivatin it probably will be tough to get top notch guards who can shoot.
If I were a good college level player I would want money, playing time, chances at a ring, and minimal academic work needed. Not sure of the order. Money would be first for sure.

Reactions: kkott
I think those complaining are upset about IU being the only team that hasn’t yet completed its roster with exactly the players needed. The question is why aren’t you complaining about that?

Because it's 2 weeks after the portal opened and 16 of the better teams with better players are still playing. Some will leave. And second, I can't change anything, so why bitch? If you want to enact change, give money or get your ass to SSAH and camp out in protest. I'll bring you a pizza.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Because it's 2 weeks after the portal opened and 16 of the better teams with better players are still playing. Some will leave. And second, I can't change anything, so why bitch? If you want to enact change, give money or get your ass to SSAH and camp out in protest. I'll bring you a pizza.
Is your sarcasm detector broken?

I picked up on your sarcasm. Some of these posters are ridiculous. I don’t know how you could turn getting at top 15 player in the class into a negative. I guess people think it’s impossible to add shooters with the other 6.. yes f***ing 6!!! scholarships we have left.

The Club never takes time off.

It’s the offseason: Time to be overly optimistic again.
The sunshine team is warming up and will make their annual pre season push over the next few months. They have years and years of practice at this so it’s like they all received a couple decades of Covid extensions.

These posts will read like the Mr Rogers’ song

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
CMW’s mine
CMW’s fine
Don’t you love our five stars

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT