ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean to remain at IU

Since RMK was forced out, look at IU's record hiring coaches: Davis, a good recruiter but not one with experience at this level; Sampson...SAMPSON, a known cheater, and then CTC.

I would argue that IU's hiring has gotten better but you have to ask yourself why did the hire as they did...an unknown after a tumultuous COY coach is dismissed.; a coach sanctioned for cheating before he came to IU, and then CTC, a coach with an up and coming record who had gone to the FF.

Perhaps IU can do better but will they draw the interest? Sampson's hire makes me think that they couldn't compared to the level of expectation the fan base had and has.it would be interesting to know how ithe IU job is perceived by D1 coaches today
Davis was hired because the administration listened to the players on the team. Was it the right decision? I don't know. But I do know that if everyone transferred we would not have been in the championship game a few yrs later.

For Crean to be successful He HAS to recruit to the level of Calipari. He just doesn't coach people up.

Seriously have you seen any IU games? I'm not the worlds biggest Tom Crean fan but he has most certainly improved several unheralded players into studs while at Indiana and Marquette.

Seriously have you seen any IU games? I'm not the worlds biggest Tom Crean fan but he has most certainly improved several unheralded players into studs while at Indiana and Marquette.
Seriously - do you not understand style of play?

Has Tom Crean improved and developed guys like DWade & Vic (and OG looks like another)? Sure - but my REFERENCE with that comment is that Crean wants to play fast (like UNC) but doesn't recruit like them.

If you're going to play like Carolina, you have to 1) recruit at the level they do, or 2) be really good at developing teams to that level, not just 2-3 players over a coaching career. And look at IU's turnovers compared to UNC - they averaged 4 more per game.

If you don't have players that take care of the ball well, you have to be able to overcome that in other ways - like rebounding, steals, etc . . . to get extra shot attempts / possessions, and the chances of guys from 50-150 in player rankings coming out of HS outplaying / beating out guys rated in the top 30-40 consistently is not very good.

Donnelly is right, what would Knights' teams faired in sweet sixteen losses with best shooter (Hulls) and 3 injuries this year. It's bad luck let alone our seeding this year! Reminds me of Henderson ' s injury in '93 and going back further broken arm in 75 of a key player

Don't know if you're trying to support Crean or not, but referencing 2 IU teams that went to the Elite 8 with injuries more significant than either this year or 2013 is probably not a good move on your part if you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: russelltodd
Seriously - do you not understand style of play?

Has Tom Crean improved and developed guys like DWade & Vic (and OG looks like another)? Sure - but my REFERENCE with that comment is that Crean wants to play fast (like UNC) but doesn't recruit like them.

If you're going to play like Carolina, you have to 1) recruit at the level they do, or 2) be really good at developing teams to that level, not just 2-3 players over a coaching career. And look at IU's turnovers compared to UNC - they averaged 4 more per game.

If you don't have players that take care of the ball well, you have to be able to overcome that in other ways - like rebounding, steals, etc . . . to get extra shot attempts / possessions, and the chances of guys from 50-150 in player rankings coming out of HS outplaying / beating out guys rated in the top 30-40 consistently is not very good.
Blast from the past. Amazingly, not a thing has changed since.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Clearly the shadow of Bob Knight still looms large over this program. Crean has done a good job, winning two Big Ten titles in the last four years, turning out pro players and I assume his kids are graduating. He has gotten unlucky in the NCAA tournament. (See MSU versus MTSU). It's impossible to follow a legend and meet the expectations of the fans. MSU will encounter a similar problem when Izzo retires. The bar is set so high that it will be virtually impossible for his successor to measure up favorably. As of right now, I consider Dana Altman and Archie Miller to be the two hottest coaches in the country. Wichita State has their boy locked in, and he doesn't appear to be looking to trade up. I really don't see anyone else out there at this time that I would trade for Crean. Instead of changing coaches, TC needs to land more of the top talent in Indiana. It seems like most of your Top players are going to schools in other states. If he can control the destinations of the top players in Indiana, like Izzo has done in Michigan, you should have the necessary talent to compete for national championships.

He will never get the state back recruiting wise.. Whatever the reason no one likes or respects him..

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
To say that CTC will be on the hot seat next year if laughable. The Hoosiers will be very good next year. Everybody coming back with be better and healthier. And there is a big man coming in who will make an immediate impact.

Just curious - are you still laughing?

Reactions: snarlcakes
I don't know much about the technical details of basketball. I am more of a football guy. That being said, when I watch winning basketball teams, and listen to their coaches I can easily understand their strategy. I was at IU when Crean was hired, and I have watched almost every game and piece of media since. I still don't feel like I understand his strategy, and the last five minutes of every game looks different to me. Is Crean's gameplan so complex that I am unable to understand it and unable to interpret his interviews, or does he not have a plan?

Clearly the shadow of Bob Knight still looms large over this program. Crean has done a good job, winning two Big Ten titles in the last four years, turning out pro players and I assume his kids are graduating. He has gotten unlucky in the NCAA tournament. (See MSU versus MTSU). It's impossible to follow a legend and meet the expectations of the fans. MSU will encounter a similar problem when Izzo retires. The bar is set so high that it will be virtually impossible for his successor to measure up favorably. As of right now, I consider Dana Altman and Archie Miller to be the two hottest coaches in the country. Wichita State has their boy locked in, and he doesn't appear to be looking to trade up. I really don't see anyone else out there at this time that I would trade for Crean. Instead of changing coaches, TC needs to land more of the top talent in Indiana. It seems like most of your Top players are going to schools in other states. If he can control the destinations of the top players in Indiana, like Izzo has done in Michigan, you should have the necessary talent to compete for national championships.
Tom Crean does not even know how to coach defense so we will continue to see the worst and he has reached his peak and makes no adjustments.What kind of guy lets a center play PG. Yes you guessed it a guy with no brains and Tom has proven time and time again he has none. Watch the games before you comment.

I don't know much about the technical details of basketball. I am more of a football guy. That being said, when I watch winning basketball teams, and listen to their coaches I can easily understand their strategy. I was at IU when Crean was hired, and I have watched almost every game and piece of media since. I still don't feel like I understand his strategy, and the last five minutes of every game looks different to me. Is Crean's gameplan so complex that I am unable to understand it and unable to interpret his interviews, or does he not have a plan?

You got to give him another extension to get the plan.

He also has the highest recruiting salary in the world . And these guys have turned their selves into studs. Oladipo was a gym rat and OG is a flat out beast dont know how any one could not see that!
It never works so it must be to complex for everyone. Maybe Einstein could understand it.

You got it this is a 20 year plan. The first 10 years is to just get warmed up.
The first 10 don't count do you know what he inherited after all he took a Dwayne Wade team to the final 4. Don't forget how difficult it is to recruit in Indiana. One question with kids wanting to go away from home how does Wisconsin win with basically a roster of Midwest kids, do kids in Wisconsin like winter better than Indiana kids

Reactions: bailey777
The first 10 don't count do you know what he inherited after all he took a Dwayne Wade team to the final 4. Don't forget how difficult it is to recruit in Indiana. One question with kids wanting to go away from home how does Wisconsin win with basically a roster of Midwest kids, do kids in Wisconsin like winter better than Indiana kids
Lots of good players stayed home to play at IU so don;t even go there. But who would want to play for a coach that it is half clown and half person. Not too many.

Lots of good players stayed home to play at IU so don;t even go there. But who would want to play for a coach that it is half clown and half person. Not too many.
Agree that is the excuse the TC supporters give why IU has struck out on the great talent in the 2017 class

You dont know what he inherited. This takes time!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT