ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean about to be fired per reports

If he gets fired, he'll land at another major conference school somewhere. I wouldn't hire him if I were an AD, but he has compelling arguments if you're an AD looking for a shot in the arm for your bball program.

He's got a handful of recruiting/development success stories to tout.

Dwayne Wade, Anthony Edwards, Vic Olidipo, Cody Zeller, Thomas Bryant, Yogi, OG Anunobe...a handful of other Marquette guys that played in the NBA...

He went to a final four at Marquette. He won some B10 titles at Indiana. He can factually say he was the most accomplished IU coach in the last 15 years or so. "Look at what they've done since they fired me." Unfortunately, that's something he can say right now. Makes me want to puke. But its technically true.

If an AD isn't a basketball person, and there are a bunch of them out there, I could see them not digging deep enough to figure out he's a DEEPLY flawed basketball coach.

If he gets fired, he'll land at another major conference school somewhere. I wouldn't hire him if I were an AD, but he has compelling arguments if you're an AD looking for a shot in the arm for your bball program.

Dwayne Wade, Anthony Edwards, Vic Olidipo, Cody Zeller, Thomas Bryant, Yogi, OG Anunobe...a handful of other Marquette guys that played in the NBA...

He went to a final four at Marquette. He won some B10 titles at Indiana. He can factually say he was the most accomplished IU coach in the last 15 years or so. "Look at what they've done since they fired me." Unfortunately, that's something he can say right now. Makes me want to puke. But its technically true.

If an AD isn't a basketball person, and there are a bunch of them out there, I could see them not digging deep enough to figure out he's a DEEPLY flawed basketball coach.
If anyone hires him after the UGA debacle…. Never mind. There are a lot of stupid AD’s

Reactions: IUgradman
That thought was likely within your family. Everyone I know thought he was an idiot and used car salesman.
That’s just not true. Stop trying to rewrite history. By years 8 and 9 most finally realized. Years 1-6 was a full blown drink the juice cult. Let’s just call it what it was.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
That’s just not true. Stop trying to rewrite history. By years 8 and 9 most finally realized. Years 1-6 was a full blown drink the juice cult. Let’s just call it what it was.
Why do you base your entire existence on this premise? Have you noticed that not a single person agrees with this? I think overall you have some decent ideas but I’ll never understand why you’re so insistent on this

This "bromance" you claim is over-stated and ended shortly after the ill-fated extension. Fred tried to move on Crean and was initially stopped by the BOT.
I'm still floored Crean wasn't canned after the Davis accident. That was before the "vote of confidence" at the end of 2015.

. It's Indiana It's Indiana!!! Best Crean line ever.
Only because it was his only line.
Knight's best line - "When my time on earth has come to pass, I want them bury me upside down, so critics can KISS MY ASS!"
Best Davis line - "I never understood the motion offense."
Best Sampson line - "Sometimes the harder you work, the more likely you are to maybe break a rule".
Best Miller line - (HIs first public comment as a fired IU coach) “It’s going to come down to their additions that they’ve added in the offseason, and to me, no one did a better job in the offseason of being able to put important pieces in place to make their team better than Indiana". BTW, Miller predicted IU to finish 5th in BT this season.

Why do you base your entire existence on this premise? Have you noticed that not a single person agrees with this? I think overall you have some decent ideas but I’ll never understand why you’re so insistent on this
What are the other ideas? This statue drivel is the only thing I have ever seen from Feepee.

I should probably just respond to another thread, but here it goes.

No one was drinking some sort of Crean Kool Aide thinking that he was some sort of elite coach, or that he was bigger than IU basketball.

on the flip side, plenty failed to heed the words of RMKFAN that there was nothing special about the water in Bloomington.

there were people that defended him until the blood in the water that the sharks had sniffed out became too much to ignore. The common reason for this defense was that “I always support the current coach”. Yes, there were plenty of people that defended him for way too long, and then finally flipped once the end was inevitable.

the problem is that you fail to see why. No one thought Tom Crean walked on water. They thought that we were destined to always be elite. That we were entitled. That he would eventually succeed because the water was indeed special. That went parabolic with the we’re back t-shirts and pop corn boxes with the Wat shot on them.

In addition to this there have always been people that cannot tolerate any criticism thinking that somehow questioning something will hurt IU basketball and as a “true fan” one should just support the team and don’t rock the boat.

It was never a Crean cult. It is IU fans thinking that we are just going to suddenly become elite again. We saw the same thing with Miller. At the end, when the blood is in the water the defenders always pounce. Happens every time.

Reactions: bang63 and jaygyure
Only because it was his only line.
Knight's best line - "When my time on earth has come to pass, I want them bury me upside down, so critics can KISS MY ASS!"
Best Davis line - "I never understood the motion offense."
Best Sampson line - "Sometimes the harder you work, the more likely you are to maybe break a rule".
Best Miller line - (HIs first public comment as a fired IU coach) “It’s going to come down to their additions that they’ve added in the offseason, and to me, no one did a better job in the offseason of being able to put important pieces in place to make their team better than Indiana". BTW, Miller predicted IU to finish 5th in BT this season.
If memory serves correctly, when Miller was talking about our offseason additions, he really questioned why we would bring in Miller Kopp so he did have that one pegged

No one was drinking some sort of Crean Kool Aide thinking that he was some sort of elite coach, or that he was bigger than IU basketball.

on the flip side, plenty failed to heed the words of RMKFAN that there was nothing special about the water in Bloomington.

there were people that defended him until the blood in the water that the sharks had sniffed out became too much to ignore. The common reason for this defense was that “I always support the current coach”. Yes, there were plenty of people that defended him for way too long, and then finally flipped once the end was inevitable.

the problem is that you fail to see why. No one thought Tom Crean walked on water. They thought that we were destined to always be elite. That we were entitled. That he would eventually succeed because the water was indeed special. That went parabolic with the we’re back t-shirts and pop corn boxes with the Wat shot on them.

In addition to this there have always been people that cannot tolerate any criticism thinking that somehow questioning something will hurt IU basketball and as a “true fan” one should just support the team and don’t rock the boat.

It was never a Crean cult. It is IU fans thinking that we are just going to suddenly become elite again. We saw the same thing with Miller. At the end, when the blood is in the water the defenders always pounce. Happens every time.
I never fully embraced Crean. But his Cody Zeller teams were some of my favorite IU basketball teams ever.

Those that know me, I'm sure were annoyed with my constant questioning and bashing of Crean, at that time. We were one of the best teams in the country in 12-13, what more could I want?! He had brought us back to elite status, from the depths of basketball hell. How could I question him so much??! I actually got into an argument on a cruise ship, of all places, with a guy that was an Arizona fan. IU was playing at Minnesota, we were rolling in the first half, Jordan Hulls was on fire, he had just hit back to back 3's, and Crean's happy clappy manic ass subbed in a couple guys and took Jordy out. He didn't come back in the game for the rest of the first half, and even the start of the 2nd half. Minny went on a big run at that time, our momentum was lost, we lost the game. Crean was masterful in killing our own runs and momentums with weird subbing patterns, Zone defense calls that came out of the blue, etc... That night was about when I was "done" with the thought of him as our Coach long term.

Because, I, like many of our fans, knew it was fools gold. The lack of anything consistent defensively, his weird mad scientist crap where they'd switch defenses mid possession, the obsession with deflections, apparently over actual stops, manic substitution patterns... Those teams were soooo fun to watch. And certainly Crean deserved some credit for that. He did assemble the team. He did convince Cody to stay home. He did "uncover" Olidipo and Sheehey. He did a lot. And his offense, for the most part, was a lot of fun to watch, with that team. But again, many of us knew the success wasn't foundational. At some point the house was going to come down, because Tom Crean just isn't a very good basketball coach.

I remember telling one of my buddies after the Syracuse game that one of the reasons I was so bummed out, was that I knew Tom Crean likely would never be able to replicate that team. There was no where to go but down for him and IU. And on top of missing guys like Jordy, Christian, Vic (knew he was leaving), Cody (knew he was leaving)... it was also what I knew IU basketball was going to look like without those guys.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Crean had two assistants get intoa fight during a game.
Dakich predicted UG would use it as a reason to fire with cause and avoid a buyout (3M?).
Season ends soon for them and we shall see.

Reactions: kkott
If memory serves correctly, when Miller was talking about our offseason additions, he really questioned why we would bring in Miller Kopp so he did have that one pegged
He did hedge a bit when discussing Kopp with the additions of Xavier, Stewart and Kopp, having higher praise for X and Stewart. He went on to say, “I think Miller Kopp coming across the street does well. It will be interesting to see what his role is. I thought Northwestern played in a system and style that was pretty good for him, we’ll see how he’s used.”

I never fully embraced Crean. But his Cody Zeller teams were some of my favorite IU basketball teams ever.

Those that know me, I'm sure were annoyed with my constant questioning and bashing of Crean, at that time. We were one of the best teams in the country in 12-13, what more could I want?! He had brought us back to elite status, from the depths of basketball hell. How could I question him so much??! I actually got into an argument on a cruise ship, of all places, with a guy that was an Arizona fan. IU was playing at Minnesota, we were rolling in the first half, Jordan Hulls was on fire, he had just hit back to back 3's, and Crean's happy clappy manic ass subbed in a couple guys and took Jordy out. He didn't come back in the game for the rest of the first half, and even the start of the 2nd half. Minny went on a big run at that time, our momentum was lost, we lost the game. Crean was masterful in killing our own runs and momentums with weird subbing patterns, Zone defense calls that came out of the blue, etc... That night was about when I was "done" with the thought of him as our Coach long term.

Because, I, like many of our fans, knew it was fools gold. The lack of anything consistent defensively, his weird mad scientist crap where they'd switch defenses mid possession, the obsession with deflections, apparently over actual stops, manic substitution patterns... Those teams were soooo fun to watch. And certainly Crean deserved some credit for that. He did assemble the team. He did convince Cody to stay home. He did "uncover" Olidipo and Sheehey. He did a lot. And his offense, for the most part, was a lot of fun to watch, with that team. But again, many of us knew the success wasn't foundational. At some point the house was going to come down, because Tom Crean just isn't a very good basketball coach.

I remember telling one of my buddies after the Syracuse game that one of the reasons I was so bummed out, was that I knew Tom Crean likely would never be able to replicate that team. There was no where to go but down for him and IU. And on top of missing guys like Jordy, Christian, Vic (knew he was leaving), Cody (knew he was leaving)... it was also what I knew IU basketball was going to look like without those guys.
well put. I also knew as I was watching the Cuse game unfold that CTC has taken us as far as he can, and we would now tread water until the next coach. Unfortunately for us, the next coach took us nowhere but backwards.

CTC's in-game sub pattern still boggles my mind. Shows the guy never really played the game himself. When a guy gets hot, you leave him on the court until he's sucking wind, then take him out 90 seconds before the next tv time out so he can get 5 minutes of O2, then send him back out and tell him to start firing until his lungs start burning again..

Crean had two assistants get intoa fight during a game.
Dakich predicted UG would use it as a reason to fire with cause and avoid a buyout (3M?).
Season ends soon for them and we shall see.
Waiting to until the end of the season waters down the "with cause' argument. They can point to an "investigation" to delay but it takes the legs out of it.

When a guy gets hot, you leave him on the court until he's sucking wind, then take him out 90 seconds before the next tv time out so he can get 5 minutes of O2, then send him back out and tell him to start firing until his lungs start burning again..
A coach doesn't know when his player's lungs are burning. He's knows when he starts bending over to pull on his shorts while the other team brings the ball up court. Discretion is needed because the latter posture can also mean he got hit in the nuts. Bulging eyes delineate the two.

The cuse game was when everyone knew what IU had with crean, along with his outburst after the MI game. Most already had doubts due to the reputation he brought from marquette that he wasn't an x's and o's guy and the fact it took him so long to get competitive at IU.

Reactions: DANC
I’m going to attempt to create a parallel here, acknowledging different ceilings. Crean was on track for that year four surge much like he had at IU. First three years at UGA we made improvement, albeit slow, but we were poised to break out in year four. Unfortunately, the transfer portal is now a thing and we got DESTROYED by the portal. Wheeler now at UK, KD at AU, Fagan at Ole Miss, Kier at Zona and Camara at Dayton would have had this year looking MUCH different. Not to mention losing both Jailyn Ingram and Pj Horne to knees on the team he did have this year.

Ultimately, he is responsible for holding a team together and he simply didn’t do that. We are left to surmise there is a culture problem which seems like a safe bet at this point. I guess you guys get to point and laugh, but it wasn’t going to be out of the question we look good this year until the portal picked us apart. Will be interesting to see where we go after the SECT.
It's a different world in college athletics, for sure.

You make some excellent points.

I agree he will always get milage out of that final four and the big ten titles. Sombebody will hire him in D1 I am guessing. Archie not so sure he has much of a future in D1.

It's Dawg Nation!

He spoke for 27 minutes before he took a question — or, seemingly, a breath.He spoke in capital letters. With exclamation points. Fists pounding. Fingers pointing. Sparks flying off the top of his well-tanned head.

It would’ve ranked as one of the greatest pre-game speeches of all times if it wasn’t just an introductory news conference. Part Zig Ziglar. Part Herb Brooks. Part Knute Rockne.

Maybe just a dash of John Belushi’s, “Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” speech. A heaping of President Whitmore in Independence Day: “We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!”

Really. Just beating Kentucky once in a while would suffice.

Welcome to the new era of Georgia basketball. Meet Tom Crean, blow torch.

He won the news conference. I was ready to run through a wall for him (or, as a 5-10, 58-year-old, into the wall).

“Did I really go that long? Did I lose you?” Crean joked later after being told the length of his opening statement.

And then: “I’ll never go 27 minutes again. Maybe once.”

It’s OK. Georgia basketball needs a wakeup call. It needs somebody in the operating room to slap paddles on it and yell, “Clear!” before throwing the switch.

I’ve never understood why a large SEC school with significant revenue and resources couldn’t compete at a high level in hoops, just as it does in football. It shouldn’t matter that this campus has a tradition in one sport but not the other. What matters most is that it cares to be better.

This is what Crean told athletic director Greg McGarity over takeout sandwiches during his six-hour interview at the coach’s home in Sarasota, Fla., on Thursday: “This should be viewed as a gold-mine destination.”

Crean had a long list of accomplishments at Marquette and Indiana, traditional “basketball schools.” But it doesn’t mean he can’t accomplish the same at Georgia, as long as the support from the administration is there. Fox felt that was lacking at

always try to throw a bone every now and then
I get it. My philosophy is and has always been that from me...you get what you give. He is one of a handful that has never been reasonable or civil so he gets the same. If he changes, so will I.

• Haha
Reactions: Simply wow
This "bromance" you claim is over-stated and ended shortly after the ill-fated extension. Fred tried to move on Crean and was initially stopped by the BOT.
Surfboard gave Crean the extension in year 4. No way he was trying to oust him after year 3. The huge buyout was added in during that extension. Crean should have been fired after year 3-IU lost 12 in a row! Cody would have stayed if we had hired Stevens or any other legit coach for year 4.

Reactions: dbmhoosier

I appreciate your post but it’s just not true. It was a cult. Most of our fanbase thought Crean was better than Calipari for 6-7 years. He could turn any recruit into Wade or Oladipo. There’s being optimistic and there’s being a cult…our fanbase was a cult.

I appreciate your post but it’s just not true. It was a cult. Most of our fanbase thought Crean was better than Calipari for 6-7 years. He could turn any recruit into Wade or Oladipo. There’s being optimistic and there’s being a cult…our fanbase was a cult.
Whether any of that is true or not… It was like 10 years ago. Did Tom Crean touch you?

Can you move on?

Waiting to until the end of the season waters down the "with cause' argument. They can point to an "investigation" to delay but it takes the legs out of it.
I jad not thought of it that way but that does make sense.
Problem is you and I look at it honestly and the decision will be made by lawyers.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
What's up with your cult critique? I don't remember any cult-like zealots fawning blindly over Crean. The truth is, he had Cody/Olidadip, et al. for several years and this gave the fanbase great entertaining pleasure. This certainly bided Tom time. Also, he was quirky in personality, which was more entertaining to the fanbase than Davis, Sampson or Archie "Dull One" Miller, so this characteristic perhaps added to our tolerance level.

What's up with your cult critique? I don't remember any cult-like zealots fawning blindly over Crean. The truth is, he had Cody/Olidadip, et al. for several years and this gave the fanbase great entertaining pleasure. This certainly bided Tom time. Also, he was quirky in personality, which was more entertaining to the fanbase than Davis, Sampson or Archie "Dull One" Miller, so this characteristic perhaps added to our tolerance level.
FP is absolutely obsessed with this concept.

Cody's commitment didn't hurt. Help was on the way!
People today talk about the next recruits being better than what we have now. What I get excited about is how players get better while they are at IU. Coach Knight did a great job taking what he had and molding players into better ones who play the way he wanted. When I look at Race Thompson and think about what he was like when he first got to IU it makes me happy to see how much better he has gotten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT