ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean about to be fired per reports

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Stuff out on the dark dark web say Crean to be fired for breach of contract. Fights among staff. Trying to get out of the contract and save for cash!

Stuff out on the dark dark web say Crean to be fired for breach of contract. Fights among staff. Trying to get out of the contract and save for cash!
I dont buy it he will he fired at the end of the year though. The web is not to be trusted so much bs on it these days.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I’m going to attempt to create a parallel here, acknowledging different ceilings. Crean was on track for that year four surge much like he had at IU. First three years at UGA we made improvement, albeit slow, but we were poised to break out in year four. Unfortunately, the transfer portal is now a thing and we got DESTROYED by the portal. Wheeler now at UK, KD at AU, Fagan at Ole Miss, Kier at Zona and Camara at Dayton would have had this year looking MUCH different. Not to mention losing both Jailyn Ingram and Pj Horne to knees on the team he did have this year.

Ultimately, he is responsible for holding a team together and he simply didn’t do that. We are left to surmise there is a culture problem which seems like a safe bet at this point. I guess you guys get to point and laugh, but it wasn’t going to be out of the question we look good this year until the portal picked us apart. Will be interesting to see where we go after the SECT.

I’m going to attempt to create a parallel here, acknowledging different ceilings. Crean was on track for that year four surge much like he had at IU. First three years at UGA we made improvement, albeit slow, but we were poised to break out in year four. Unfortunately, the transfer portal is now a thing and we got DESTROYED by the portal. Wheeler now at UK, KD at AU, Fagan at Ole Miss, Kier at Zona and Camara at Dayton would have had this year looking MUCH different. Not to mention losing both Jailyn Ingram and Pj Horne to knees on the team he did have this year.

Ultimately, he is responsible for holding a team together and he simply didn’t do that. We are left to surmise there is a culture problem which seems like a safe bet at this point. I guess you guys get to point and laugh, but it wasn’t going to be out of the question we look good this year until the portal picked us apart. Will be interesting to see where we go after the SECT.
We all lived through it although without the portal layered on. GA is in a tough spot with FB being option 1, 2 and 3 with Hoops a distant 4th. What the heck do you do now?

We all lived through it although without the portal layered on. GA is in a tough spot with FB being option 1, 2 and 3 with Hoops a distant 4th. What the heck do you do now?
Just have to try again. Supposedly, Forbes COULD be an option. I would look towards a Dennis Gates, Grant McCasland, Mike Rhoades type of coach that is ready to take that next step. Tough job, not going to deny that. If Auburn can get hoops going though, so can we. Just have to find the right guy.

Just have to try again. Supposedly, Forbes COULD be an option. I would look towards a Dennis Gates, Grant McCasland, Mike Rhoades type of coach that is ready to take that next step. Tough job, not going to deny that. If Auburn can get hoops going though, so can we. Just have to find the right guy.
I would think UGA could pull some nice NIL deals in on the back of Football.

Whatever you do, do not hire a guy named Archie Miller.

Your transfers left because they don't want to play for Crean.

I mean duh but yeah.

The issue with Crean at IU was he couldn't get out of his own way of his insanely paranoid narcissism.

In simple terms, he wore everyone out around him from coaches to managers to players to the press because he is naturally manic and he's naturally narcissistic which made him naturally paranoid.

Now add that he's not this genius tactician like he wanted to be known as and the fan base could easily spot his inefficiencies in the game....so when he started losing again all of that fell on him hard and we were glad to move on.

Crean wants to be respected like the greats, wants to be as naturally charismatic as Bruce Pearl but comes across as fake and socially awkward and wants to be considered a basketball genius like Brad Stevens (who I have no doubt drove him crazy) but....he isn't. Not even close.

There's always been a wonder that Crean is really defensive because he never played the game at a decent level, so he's coming to it as kindof an outsider.

Anyway, he does have an eye for wing talent and he does do a really good job at individual development (well, he somehow teaches guys how to shoot pretty well so he finds crazy athletic under ranked players and develops a decent offensive game....Wade, Oladipo, Anunoby are the ones most people talk about but Watford, Sheehey etc all became great shooters under him.

Not familiar with the Nic Claxton story but he seems to be a common Crean story.

Or maybe it's just the Crean offense? Either way players tend to develop a shooting/scoring game under him.

Which is why I've always felt he's probably best suited as an assistant, where you get the best of his skills (crazy energy, offensive development) vs being the lead guy.

Maybe you guys can give the Miller brothers another chance? Nah, you need a guy who can recruit Atlanta like a Bruce Pearl type.

I mean duh but yeah.

The issue with Crean at IU was he couldn't get out of his own way of his insanely paranoid narcissism.

In simple terms, he wore everyone out around him from coaches to managers to players to the press because he is naturally manic and he's naturally narcissistic which made him naturally paranoid.

Now add that he's not this genius tactician like he wanted to be known as and the fan base could easily spot his inefficiencies in the game....so when he started losing again all of that fell on him hard and we were glad to move on.

Crean wants to be respected like the greats, wants to be as naturally charismatic as Bruce Pearl but comes across as fake and socially awkward and wants to be considered a basketball genius like Brad Stevens (who I have no doubt drove him crazy) but....he isn't. Not even close.

There's always been a wonder that Crean is really defensive because he never played the game at a decent level, so he's coming to it as kindof an outsider.

Anyway, he does have an eye for wing talent and he does do a really good job at individual development (well, he somehow teaches guys how to shoot pretty well so he finds crazy athletic under ranked players and develops a decent offensive game....Wade, Oladipo, Anunoby are the ones most people talk about but Watford, Sheehey etc all became great shooters under him.

Not familiar with the Nic Claxton story but he seems to be a common Crean story.

Or maybe it's just the Crean offense? Either way players tend to develop a shooting/scoring game under him.

Which is why I've always felt he's probably best suited as an assistant, where you get the best of his skills (crazy energy, offensive development) vs being the lead guy.

Maybe you guys can give the Miller brothers another chance? Nah, you need a guy who can recruit Atlanta like a Bruce Pearl type.
I think most of that is true, Cody Z is a good guy and we used to employ him for farm work in summers when he was in HS. Crean is a thief and I've heard plenty about it from my wife's co-workers who had a team assistant son be berated by him

Reactions: TommyCracker
I live 50 mins from Athens. Nothing but Dawg and a few Clemson and Tech fans around here. 90% of Dawg fans couldn’t name the bball coach right now. As long as Kirby competing for titles nobody cares

I think most of that is true, Cody Z is a good guy and we used to employ him for farm work in summers when he was in HS. Crean is a thief and I've heard plenty about it from my wife's co-workers who had a team assistant son be berated by him
You are definitely closer than I am or was during the Crean years.

I should have added that they were my guesses based on trying to piece together why he failed here but I'm not close to the program.

Unfortunately for Crean, he bugged me while at Marquette so I was going to be a harder sell.

I always felt he cost us around 6 points a game. If you go back and add six points, his records look more like what a rebuild does with good coaches.

First two years were going to be rough. Third year was a borderline NCAA probable NIT (we finished that season losing something like 15 in a row even though his big recruiting class were sophomores).

Cody was a true difference maker.

Anyway, that negative six belief basically insured that I'd never be a Crean guy unless he really starting having success....which he didn't.

Reactions: .Gerdis
You are definitely closer than I am or was during the Crean years.

I should have added that they were my guesses based on trying to piece together why he failed here but I'm not close to the program.

Unfortunately for Crean, he bugged me while at Marquette so I was going to be a harder sell.

I always felt he cost us around 6 points a game. If you go back and add six points, his records look more like what a rebuild does with good coaches.

First two years were going to be rough. Third year was a borderline NCAA probable NIT (we finished that season losing something like 15 in a row even though his big recruiting class were sophomores).

Cody was a true difference maker.

Anyway, that negative six belief basically insured that I'd never be a Crean guy unless he really starting having success....which he didn't.
I’d take $3M per to cost 6 points a game

"There have been various media reports related to UGA Athletics personnel ranging from completely inaccurate to incomplete and premature," the school said. "The incident in question was reported properly as required by university policies and is under review. We will comment if and when appropriate."

Per the university.

I mean duh but yeah.

All his wing talent he got was already way ahead defensively. He does a good job developing those types.

Not looking good for Tommy boy:

Hell, they just won a NC in the only sport that matters at UGA. All he had to do was keep from getting the spotlight focused on his program and produce an NCAA team every few years with winning teams most years. Failed. I think UGA was a good fit for him, but sounds like he couldn't be consistent enough, even there.

Be wild if Archie ended up there.

Reactions: mk24 and dbmhoosier
Hell, they just won a NC in the only sport that matters at UGA. All he had to do was keep from getting the spotlight focused on his program and produce an NCAA team every few years with winning teams most years. Failed. I think UGA was a good fit for him, but sounds like he couldn't be consistent enough, even there.
Exactly.

Georgia has a lot of talent in its high schools. Just recruiting decently should have allowed him to achieve the BOLD above. But - as was the case in Indiana - his weird vibe eventually catches up with his recruiting.

Exactly.

Georgia has a lot of talent in its high schools. Just recruiting decently should have allowed him to achieve the BOLD above. But - as was the case in Indiana - his weird vibe eventually catches up with his recruiting.
he DID recruit well in the GA high schools when he first got here....

he DID recruit well in the GA high schools when he first got here....
He always recruits well at first and eventually his record catches up with him and the recruting dries up. Same thing happened at IU except he somehow got Thomas Bryant towards the end which I still have no idea how he got him.

I mean duh but yeah.

A large part of his ego was probably from the way IU fans treated him. As if he walked on water. He was the greatest coach in basketball history around here for 5-6 long years.

Feepee isn't worth the time to key in a response.

The only people that loved Tom as a coach after year three were a few Trustees that prevented Glass from moving on him when he first wanted to.
Absolutely no reason he shouldn't have been fired after Holt ran over Davis. His lack of discipline directly led to that event.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Absolutely no reason he shouldn't have been fired after Holt ran over Davis. His lack of discipline directly led to that event.
Two reasons he was not.

1. Freddy Glass his best cheerleader and extension guy! Total bromance.
2. It's Indiana It's Indiana!!! Best Crean line ever.

Two reasons he was not.

1. Freddy Glass his best cheerleader and extension guy! Total bromance.
2. It's Indiana It's Indiana!!! Best Crean line ever.
This "bromance" you claim is over-stated and ended shortly after the ill-fated extension. Fred tried to move on Crean and was initially stopped by the BOT.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT