ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen needs to be fired tomorrow.

In my mind, The biggest indictment of TA is the fact that there are multiple 3-4 year starters on a D that was much better, as a whole, in ‘19 and ‘20 under Womack. Since he tutored Warren last season and took over the D this year, it’s been a total disappointment.

Throw in that he’s a Defensive guy who HIRED a Hurry Up kind of OC, thus exposing the D to more time on the field, is unforgivable!! Living in 2nd/10’s and 3rd/8’s the last two years does neither the O, nor D any good at all. Even KW saw u could run a no-huddle, but not snap the ball constantly with 20 seconds on the play clock!!

I think, because the same mistakes occur over and over, the overall lack of execution, the incredibly stupid penalties in the worst situations all point to a coach and coaching staff that is so concerned about hurting players feelings, that the level of expectations is way too low and acceptance of poor performance is way too prevalent.

The pat on the back and the encouragement "you'll do it better next time" doesn't always work. Human nature says only some players respond positively to that while others need to be "coached hard" in terms of expectations. Given the situation, it is highly embarassing watching Allen congratulate players on a good play when the team is getting smoked. If players making good plays was expected on every play as the rule IU probably would be more competitive.

I just don't buy into the idea that the HC is a cheerleader as Allen seems to think his job is. His job is to have an obsession with performance and winning. You win if you expect perfection and accept excellence. You usually clearly don't win doing what Allen does except in very rare circumstances.
He's a glorified kindergarten PE teacher who is way above his skies. I have no idea how he reached the pinnacle of organized football.

It's a Bill Lynch situation except he has done less with more. The results with this level of talent is inexcusable. He is on track again this year to be in contention for worst coach in the country. The wins against Ill and WKU were a mirage. This is a 1 win team in my book. I said at the time that IU was playing god awful and would have lost those games 99.99/100 times. Frankly, it would be better for IU if they had lost those games and were forced to make a move.

To your point on expectations, time after time after time Monster makes mistakes, Marcelino Ball mistake after mistake, not once are there any consequences. It takes an act of god for him to bench someone. I remember Hoep once getting the D together on the bench, screaming his head off and they got their shit together quickly. Turned that game around. I forget the opponent. Haven't seen that once under TA. His own son should have never played a single down. Wildly out of his depth in the Big Ten. Nepotism?

The death nail was when DeBoer walked. I said at the time you either pay DeBoer the big bucks to stay as OC or make him the head coach. He won big everywhere as a HC and was the brains of the operation. Instead, IU trapped themself with this amateur birdbrain operation with the most ludicrous contract possible.

It's an awful and completely hopeless situation.

At this rate they are going to lose Williams, Lucas, McCullough. Stick a fork in it.

Reactions: kmathum
In my mind, The biggest indictment of TA is the fact that there are multiple 3-4 year starters on a D that was much better, as a whole, in ‘19 and ‘20 under Womack. Since he tutored Warren last season and took over the D this year, it’s been a total disappointment.

Throw in that he’s a Defensive guy who HIRED a Hurry Up kind of OC, thus exposing the D to more time on the field, is unforgivable!! Living in 2nd/10’s and 3rd/8’s the last two years does neither the O, nor D any good at all. Even KW saw u could run a no-huddle, but not snap the ball constantly with 20 seconds on the play clock!!
Who is stupid enough to hire a 2-23 loser as their offensive coordinator. Just one idiotic decision after the next. All based on emotion. Because he gets along well with someone? Thinks they are a good fit? Hiller? You want people who can execute the job, not people who are your best friends. You don't get paid millions per year for this shit. Sign me up.

Who is stupid enough to hire a 2-23 loser as their offensive coordinator. Just one idiotic decision after the next. All based on emotion. Because he gets along well with someone? Thinks they are a good fit? Hiller? You want people who can execute the job, not people who are your best friends. You don't get paid millions per year for this shit. Sign me up.
Next year, you might see Thomas Allen Jr. come back to coach the offense. It’s part of the LEO Friends and Family plan.

The level apathy to which Tom Allen has brought back to this program far outweighs any of the positives from the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Of all the IU coaches hired this century, not one of them inherited an Indiana program on stable ground….other than Tom Allen.

Tom Allen has single handily ruined any momentum this program ever had and has brought it back to the darkest depths. There is no way he can be employed for another 2 years. The long term damage of keeping Allen until his buyout becomes “manageable” far outweighs the short term financial constraint. It’s a no-brainer.

He's a glorified kindergarten PE teacher who is way above his skies. I have no idea how he reached the pinnacle of organized football.

It's a Bill Lynch situation except he has done less with more. The results with this level of talent is inexcusable. He is on track again this year to be in contention for worst coach in the country. The wins against Ill and WKU were a mirage. This is a 1 win team in my book. I said at the time that IU was playing god awful and would have lost those games 99.99/100 times. Frankly, it would be better for IU if they had lost those games and were forced to make a move.

To your point on expectations, time after time after time Monster makes mistakes, Marcelino Ball mistake after mistake, not once are there any consequences. It takes an act of god for him to bench someone. I remember Hoep once getting the D together on the bench, screaming his head off and they got their shit together quickly. Turned that game around. I forget the opponent. Haven't seen that once under TA. His own son should have never played a single down. Wildly out of his depth in the Big Ten. Nepotism?

The death nail was when DeBoer walked. I said at the time you either pay DeBoer the big bucks to stay as OC or make him the head coach. He won big everywhere as a HC and was the brains of the operation. Instead, IU trapped themself with this amateur birdbrain operation with the most ludicrous contract possible.

It's an awful and completely hopeless situation.

At this rate they are going to lose Williams, Lucas, McCullough. Stick a fork in it.
Marcelino Ball is not on the team.

Yes, I know. My point is that year after year after year experienced players making mistakes with no consequences.
I'm not defending Allen, but I think he looks at guys like Monster and Marcelino and sees many more positives than negatives, so they continue to play.

Again, I'm not defending it - just trying to figure out why he doesn't sit some guys until they play disciplined. I noticed Monster didn't celebrate after a huge hit - which he normally would.

As I've said - Allen plays favorites.

Have you watched the Colts this year?
Not much, but if the proposed solution for IU is to spend big money on coaches and big money on players, then it's just pro football. And, the Colts might be a good example of how that isn't a guarantee of anything.

Yeah, none of us could figure out your QB decisions, either. After that early bomb/touchdown, we all kind of figured we'd see *him*, not Bazelak, the rest of the game.

So what is your proposal? A new coach without an emphasis on recruiting? Yes it is obvious, but necessary.
You have solved our problem, I'm sure CTA and his assistants aren't aware of the importance of recruiting good players.

The level apathy to which Tom Allen has brought back to this program far outweighs any of the positives from the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Of all the IU coaches hired this century, not one of them inherited an Indiana program on stable ground….other than Tom Allen.

Tom Allen has single handily ruined any momentum this program ever had and has brought it back to the darkest depths. There is no way he can be employed for another 2 years. The long term damage of keeping Allen until his buyout becomes “manageable” far outweighs the short term financial constraint. It’s a no-brainer.
I keep saying fire him . The buyout is what you pay someone to coach instead of him You have to know we are losing if he coaches. Hell Give a HS coach 500k for 2 yrs and he cant be worse and a 500k after a yr buyout for the 2nd . Someone would bite and yes an exaggeration mostly but you can hire almost anyone and it cant get worse . Pretty much anything to inject life. I have not seen a worse college coach in my lifetime.

Just as no live scrimmage tackling during Fall Camp or season practices. Tackling drills don't get it. We witness the fact every game. No better yesterday than from the Illinois game. It's tackle FB! Why the hell ignore live practicing that activity? Dumb, ignorant, stupid gets you 3-7.
Dolson put an active focused game plan together to get rid of AM. Also the same focus turning over shells in the shell game until he found Coach Woodson. In the end the $10m was a speed bump not an obstacle. He should leverage the obvious success to date with MW into the same kind of action to find a new IUFB leader. For outrageous $ donations rename buildings, fields, competition floors, walkways and build statues to any sonofabitch with a big checkbook. 1 goal, 1 vision, 1 focused plan.

His point is that all of these guys, just like Marcelino Ball when he was here, looked strong in their freshman years and then Allen got them in his “development program” and they got worse and worse.

Ya, exactly. Whatever I say will be disregarded as I am a Boiler, but Allen simply isn't passing the "eye test".

Sometimes schools like ours end up with certain 4-star players for 2 reasons:

1) there is something about their game or personality that makes the top schools balk during the recruiting process and show less interest.

OR

2) they have the mentality that "I should play right away" and the competition at the top schools scares them off (which tells you how their career will go at the first sign of adversity).

But as for Allen, whether you think it is coaching, scheme, or recruiting it all points back at him.

Reactions: Rags to Roses
I keep saying fire him . The buyout is what you
Just as no live scrimmage tackling during Fall Camp or season practices. Tackling drills don't get it. We witness the fact every game. No better yesterday than from the Illinois game. It's tackle FB! Why the hell ignore live practicing that activity? Dumb, ignorant, stupid gets you 3-7.
Dolson put an active focused game plan together to get rid of AM. Also the same focus turning over shells in the shell game until he found Coach Woodson. In the end the $10m was a speed bump not an obstacle. He should leverage the obvious success to date with MW into the same kind of action to find a new IUFB leader. For outrageous $ donations rename buildings, fields, competition floors, walkways and build statues to any sonofabitch with a big checkbook. 1 goal, 1 vision, 1 focused plan.
Woodson was like choice number 3 or 4. Don’t fool yourself. He wasn’t on anybody’s radar. And, Dolson had to implement some goofy chaperone process to have another former college coach help him “navigate” the college scene. And, there was tension from the outset with Woodson not all too thrilled that 2 guys were brought onboard to assist him. Coaches have egos too. I hope it works out with Woodson. He’s a helluva lot better to listen to than the monotone dwarf. This is a no-excuses year for him.
Football, on the other hand, will be lucky to remain in the conference as its only community college member. That’s a disaster they’ll never figure out. Basketball has one shot this year.

Ya, exactly. Whatever I say will be disregarded as I am a Boiler, but Allen simply isn't passing the "eye test".

Sometimes schools like ours end up with certain 4-star players for 2 reasons:

1) there is something about their game or personality that makes the top schools balk during the recruiting process and show less interest.

OR

2) they have the mentality that "I should play right away" and the competition at the top schools scares them off (which tells you how their career will go at the first sign of adversity).

But as for Allen, whether you think it is coaching, scheme, or recruiting it all points back at him.
Shocker that a Boiler would endorse a Crimson Buffalo post.

Woodson was like choice number 3 or 4. Don’t fool yourself. He wasn’t on anybody’s radar. And, Dolson had to implement some goofy chaperone process to have another former college coach help him “navigate” the college scene. And, there was tension from the outset with Woodson not all too thrilled that 2 guys were brought onboard to assist him. Coaches have egos too. I hope it works out with Woodson. He’s a helluva lot better to listen to than the monotone dwarf. This is a no-excuses year for him.
Football, on the other hand, will be lucky to remain in the conference as its only community college member. That’s a disaster they’ll never figure out. Basketball has one shot this year.
I'd say the evaluation/interviewing process is a damn good 1 if your 3rd or 4th candidate is the quality of Coach Woodson. The point being through AM's last season everyone thought $10m was an immovable barrier. AD Dolson got it done without giving up. $25m can be handled too with the right mindset.

I'd say the evaluation/interviewing process is a damn good 1 if your 3rd or 4th candidate is the quality of Coach Woodson. The point being through AM's last season everyone thought $10m was an immovable barrier. AD Dolson got it done without giving up. $25m can be handled too with the right mindset.
The $25 million is not the barrier people here think it is. The question is whether Dolson will bite the bullet and do it or if he still has confidence that Allen can turn it around. Would not be surprised if Allen is gone after two games.

I binge-watced The Crown on Netflix. Not as good as the first four seasons. But it was certainly better than watching the game yesterday or so I believe.

Reactions: BayernFan
This whole QB solidifies that Allen is absolutely clueless. I was for the end of the season yet it needs to happen now. What the he'll man... Connor is at best the 3rd best QB on this team and he is not even close to the two spot but closer to the four spot.
I could have sworn Dexter was 6-19 passing and threw 2 picks last week. We don't beat Illinois or Western with Dexter starting. And yes Tuttle is the greatest QB in IU history that has never played well in a game for 4 quarters.

Shocker that a Boiler would endorse a Crimson Buffalo post.

Still not sure if you agree or disagree with what I actually said but, trust me, Boiler fans are hoping Allen gets a lifetime contract extension with a billion dollar buyout.

Reactions: bang63
The $25 million is not the barrier people here think it is. The question is whether Dolson will bite the bullet and do it or if he still has confidence that Allen can turn it around. Would not be surprised if Allen is gone after two games.
It's truly incredible how much you've changed in two short years. In 2024 you may just be a new man entirely. Stay gold Pony Boy.

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer​

Gold Member
Bowlmania said:
Agreed that Allen is a far better leader, but let's remember who brought him to Bloomington.
It would have been interesting to see more of a CKW offense with an Allen defense. It was only one season. That said, unless you have Allen running the show, you lose that sense of culture on the team and that’s the big difference. You can’t teach easily the kind of process that Allen installed. Some guys just have it: 100% buy-in, team above self, it’s about the guy next to you.

Wilson couldn’t ever get to that level. He didn’t have the emotional impact on his teams as Allen does with his.
That’s why we have taken the next step beyond CKW.

It's truly incredible how much you've changed in two short years. In 2024 you may just be a new man entirely. Stay gold Pony Boy.

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer​

Gold Member

It would have been interesting to see more of a CKW offense with an Allen defense. It was only one season. That said, unless you have Allen running the show, you lose that sense of culture on the team and that’s the big difference. You can’t teach easily the kind of process that Allen installed. Some guys just have it: 100% buy-in, team above self, it’s about the guy next to you.

Wilson couldn’t ever get to that level. He didn’t have the emotional impact on his teams as Allen does with his.
That’s why we have taken the next step beyond CKW.
Thanks Mrs. Allen.

Appreciate you weighing in on your husband’s tank job the last two seasons.

Still not sure if you agree or disagree with what I actually said but, trust me, Boiler fans are hoping Allen gets a lifetime contract extension with a billion dollar buyout.
They cannot answer that because they still keep defending the shit show that goes on at the university. As an IU alum, even I can appreciate the job Brohm has done. He’s a coach I wish IU had hired when the idiots in charge were still babysitting Kevin Wilson.
Purdue has always been very savvy about their hires and when things don’t work out, they act quickly. It’s why even with the comparitively similar athletic budgets, they blow IU out of the water in the two revenue generating sports. Not even close.
You deserve recognition for that. IU has been a clown show in its athletic department since Ralph Floyd departed. Purdue hired an AD who was not associated with the university and knew the college landscape and brought fresh perspective. IU walked down the hall to see what good old boy they could find to take over.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
IU hired from within, without a coach search, and are now getting the awful results that should have been expected.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
How many more losses will it take for IU to pull the plug?
Honestly, I think they'll pull it next year after the Bucket Game.

Unless they:
(1) perform a miracle in the portal
and/or
(2) the underclassmen stick around & show a marked improvement.

There is so much starting experience on this team I can't imagine they'll be as good a team next season. I had expected '23 to be a re-building year anyway, so could be really ugly if this is the high watermark. And by ugly I mean a lot more games where it gets out of hand at the beginning of the 3rd quarter more often than losing close in the 4th.

I don't have to agree or disagree with you. I ignore you anyway. Whatever you would have said, he would have agreed with you because he admires your athletic department so much.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT