ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen Named DC at Penn State

He took two payments that equaled five million less then what he could have gotten, so I don't think this impacts that at all.

I could be wrong though.
I always thought Franklin was kind of....well you know. Maybe he'll finally win a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
This is great for Tom Allen, but it's a shocker to me in that they are going from a guy who is arguably the best DC in college football to a guy who is a good defensive coordinator but nowhere Manny Diaz's level. Hopefully this works our for Penn State and Allen. Hell of a rebound by Allen that's for sure.

This is great for Tom Allen, but it's a shocker to me in that they are going from a guy who is arguably the best DC in college football to a guy who is a good defensive coordinator but nowhere Manny Diaz's level. Hopefully this works our for Penn State and Allen. Hell of a rebound by Allen that's for sure.
He does have some big shoes to fill at PSU.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Screw P$U... Hopefully they crash and burn, or preferably burn all the way down and then crash and smolder...

I'm happy that TA is a multi-millionaire who's adding to his portfolio but wish him zero success against us...

TA a solid x's and o's guy; I'm just hoping against hope that takes his philosophy on practicing tackling along with him 😉...

We finally have a shot at beating P$U on a consistent basis with Franklin as HC and TA at D.C...

Good for him. Good launching pad if he wants to be a head coach again

Tom Allen was Peter Principle'd into the head coaching position. If you know what that means, you also know that his failure was to be expected, it wasn't his fault, and he never should have been put in that position in the first place. This is great news about a good man who will be a success at what he does well, not at what others wish he was.

Screw P$U... Hopefully they crash and burn, or preferably burn all the way down and then crash and smolder...

I'm happy that TA is a multi-millionaire who's adding to his portfolio but wish him zero success against us...

TA a solid x's and o's guy; I'm just hoping against hope that takes his philosophy on practicing tackling along with him 😉...

We finally have a shot at beating P$U on a consistent basis with Franklin as HC and TA at D.C...
You’re a clown 🤡

Reactions: Kelly_32

We don’t play them again until 2025. Then again in 2027.

We aren’t going to consistently see them each year.

The top programs, or those that perceive themselves as such, think they have to get ex HC’s as coordinators. We only have one year as Allen being DC only and the defense did improve markedly. Is that because he is a great DC or just getting guys that were coached up by others to play hard for him? While mostly solid in the following years only during Womack’s second season would I say it was really good. I might expect a bump or holding steady for a year or two but beyond that it might be trouble for them. Franklin may not have more than that left in any case if he can’t beat the upper echelon.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I’m sure they pay their assistants quite well. Allen is gonna be the richest assistant coach in college football. Live off the PSU salary and bank the $15M. Coach ten more yesrs and have a very sweet retirement fund. Move to Hawaii and smoke dope on the..,
sorry, I got carried away. :)

I’m sure they pay their assistants quite well. Allen is gonna be the richest assistant coach in college football. Live off the PSU salary and bank the $15M. Coach ten more yesrs and have a very sweet retirement fund. Move to Hawaii and smoke dope on the..,
sorry, I got carried away. :)
You don't think 15M is already a good retirement fund?

This is great for Tom Allen, but it's a shocker to me in that they are going from a guy who is arguably the best DC in college football to a guy who is a good defensive coordinator but nowhere Manny Diaz's level. Hopefully this works out for Penn State and Allen. Hell of a rebound by Allen that's for sure.
Our last two coaches had great landing spots. Wilson became OC at Ohio St and now Allen is DC…. Next step is firing a coach and him getting another P5 HC job…. Then we will know we are hiring desirable guys.

Allen was one of the best before coming to IU as a DC… I’m not surprised at all. Face it, he had success where success goes for vacation. I hope he does great and gets rung up like a cash register when they play IU….

I remember Wommack's defenses were good at IU because he found a way to disguise and generate pressure where IU's defenses couldn't in traditional ways. This created opportunities for takeaways. We were never able to replicate that since. I don't know if that speaks to Tom's defensive abilities. He will probably do well with a PSU defense that can create traditional defensive pressure but I don't believe I would place him in the category of a creator or innovator with defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT