ADVERTISEMENT

Today's world for school aged kids

Harry Hondo

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
Got this email around 2pm today. Our son is 6 years old and in the 1st grade.

Dear ****** Families,

Today during recess it was reported that two males that were located on the north side of *** Street gained a few of our students' attention and proceeded to salute them and then bring their hands down in the shape of a weapon.

Upon finding out this information our administrative team headed directly to the playground. The Bloomington Police Department (BPD) were called and the officers who arrived on campus took our information and canvassed the area. They have not located individuals matching the description given.

At the time of this letter we have no further information into the incident.

Our students will continue to be reminded to not provide building access to anyone, to report strangers on campus, to report threats to the proper adults, and to communicate any personal safety concerns.

As a reminder, ******* does have specific plans and protocols in order to keep all students, faculty, and staff safe. We have contracted with safety experts to evaluate our facility and plans. Our campus is locked at all times and those wishing to enter are greeted by intercom before entering to state the nature of their visit. These plans are reviewed and updated each year and on file with the **********. We are in constant communication with BPD and would follow all directives from them in an emergency situation. The students do practice drills for many scenarios throughout the school year as required by law.

The health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff are always our top priority. We will continue to clearly communicate with parents and families about these situations when they arise.

Sincerely,
Mrs. M*** P****
Principal

Got this email around 2pm today. Our son is 6 years old and in the 1st grade.

Dear ****** Families,

Today during recess it was reported that two males that were located on the north side of *** Street gained a few of our students' attention and proceeded to salute them and then bring their hands down in the shape of a weapon.

Upon finding out this information our administrative team headed directly to the playground. The Bloomington Police Department (BPD) were called and the officers who arrived on campus took our information and canvassed the area. They have not located individuals matching the description given.

At the time of this letter we have no further information into the incident.

Our students will continue to be reminded to not provide building access to anyone, to report strangers on campus, to report threats to the proper adults, and to communicate any personal safety concerns.

As a reminder, ******* does have specific plans and protocols in order to keep all students, faculty, and staff safe. We have contracted with safety experts to evaluate our facility and plans. Our campus is locked at all times and those wishing to enter are greeted by intercom before entering to state the nature of their visit. These plans are reviewed and updated each year and on file with the **********. We are in constant communication with BPD and would follow all directives from them in an emergency situation. The students do practice drills for many scenarios throughout the school year as required by law.

The health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff are always our top priority. We will continue to clearly communicate with parents and families about these situations when they arise.

Sincerely,
Mrs. M*** P****
Principal
Kids are experiencing so much F’d up shit. Just take comfort (some) in that they don’t know any better and their experiences are shared.

My sister called me today and asked if I had heard what was going on down at Leo elementary (just outside of Fort Wayne) since I live about 10 minutes down the road. I told her I hadn't and she told me the school was on lock down and her co-worker, her best friend, had been getting calls that someone was on the school grounds with a weapon and the kids were all on lock down and was asking me questions.

I have a friend that is a news anchor that I text and he told me that the guy was thought to have a possible knife and was on the playground for some reason.

I drove down to see what it looked like and there was I believe six cop cars and a ambulance. Have no idea why the ambulance was there, but I just read that the guy had a domestic dispute with someone and ended up on the playground in a tree house type thing.

I couldn't imagine what those parents were going through, not getting any info. I was happy I had a contact that I could at least let one parent know what was going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT