ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits from Illinois Board: Week 0 begins

cidsports

Benchwarmer
Nov 8, 2001
From the Illini site:

Ahead of the Illinois vs. Nebraska game today, came across this Rivals write up.

Overall, Iowa is the team on the Illinois 2021 schedule with the top PFF score last season (90.9). The Hawkeyes lost three starters from their offensive line, but return outstanding running back
Tyler Goodson (79.2).

This video gives great insight into Iowa's top player, with comments about his roommate, making his first start with fans.

All-American center
Tyler Linderbaum (91.5) from Iowa is top returning offensive lineman in the Big Ten. A Rimington Award finalist last season, Linderbaum has started the last 21 games for the Hawkeyes.

Hopefully, this younger Iowa team is ready next week to open against a good Indiana program under Tom Allen. The Hoosiers were 8-5 in 2019.

Both teams finished 6-2 and 3-0 against common opponents. Iowa likely was on route to 8-2, but covid-19 ended games with Michigan and bowl game with Missouri.

AROUND THE BIG TEN​

Michael Penix Jr. from Indiana is the top returning quarterback in the Big Ten (82.9). He completed 56.4% of his passes for 1,645 yards with 14 touchdowns and just 4 interceptions. - From Illini site.

The new Iowa defensive line is clearly a concern for many. However, this is not new territory for the returning Iowa defensive staff. It was case in 2015 Hawkeyes and the past three seasons now.

The offensive line has a new coach for Iowa and will have likely begin with three new starters to open 2021.

How will they be firing as a unit right out of the gate?

Indiana, like Iowa has questions on the line of scrimmage. Both teams have outstanding back 7 units.

Both teams were 2-3 in scoring offense last year. Iowa was among the better teams in the nation for scoring defense, especially during 6 game winning streak.

Who gets off the early start?

How will Spencer Petras be in start #9 of his Hawkeyes career and the first start with fans back in the stands?

First occasion, since QB Nate Stanley opened 3-0 in 2017, and he nearly opened 4-0, if not for the walk off TD for James Franklin's Penn State team.

Indiana is better than Wyoming, but this game has a similar feeling, after reflecting on the State of Iowa football program this morning.

Indiana has been trending well under Tom Allen. Iowa has been very successful during Kirk Ferentz's history there in this series.

5-1 as an assistant, with the 1988 game Indiana's only win (1981 to 1988).

Indiana was far better, when Antwan Randle-El was there, and Kirk Ferentz took over. Ferentz is 10-5 as a head coach, including last win over Tom Allen, 42-16, in 2018.

This is the first game in Kinnick, in what seems forever. Iowa won 35-27 in 2015 too!

Last 3 games won by Iowa. Iowa last won at Kinnick in 2014, 45-29 in 2014.

This game should be a very good one. Will it come down to the last play, like 2017 Penn State/Iowa in Kinnick or your opener last year?

We shall see. Have a great weekend.

Enjoy Illinois vs. Nebraska on Fox.

If this is their general fan idea of IUFB then they will be shocked to see our defense and offense now. I can't really tell you about Iowa's football other than who they lost and who is coming back therefore I don't comment on their team. I do have a much better handle on IU's football team and know they will be a handful for any team they play this year.

Last edited:
Did I read that right? Is he saying Indiana was much better TEAM when Randle-El was QB? Those teams couldn’t keep a decent HS team out of the end zone.That can’t be what he meant good lord.
I had to read it twice be sure but yes he did. ARE is the best college football player I have ever seen and while levron was a decent back, ARE had little around him. Ignorant comment.

If this is their general fan idea of IUFB then they will be shocked to see our defense and offense now. I can't really tell you about Iowa's football other than who they lost and who is coming back therefore I don't comment on their team. I do have a much better handle on IU's football team and know they will be a handful for any team they play this year.

Let em sleep.

I can’t wait for the tweets this season from the media when we keep shocking people.

Reactions: jb17 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT