ADVERTISEMENT

Tiawan's tweet

Far be it for me to second guess an All-American caliber player, but are they not taught to put their helmets on the front of the runner anymore?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Far be it for me to second guess an All-American caliber player, but are they not taught to put their helmets on the front of the runner anymore?
Not just at IU but watching games I don't think anyone teaches tackling with the head in front any more. It could be a concussion avoidance issue with a change in technique to keep players from catching a knee in the side of the helmet.

Not just at IU but watching games I don't think anyone teaches tackling with the head in front any more. It could be a concussion avoidance issue with a change in technique to keep players from catching a knee in the side of the helmet.
That to me looks like what the Seattle Seahawks went to a couple years ago. They called it the "alligator roll". It was seen as a way to lessen impact/injury while still bringing the runner down quickly.

Last edited:
That to me looks like what the Seattle Seahawks went to a couple years ago. They called it the "alligator roll". It was seen as a way to lessen impact/injury while still bringing the runner down quickly.
It is part of concussion protection it is the rugby tackle that the Seahawks adapted. The head goes behind and then there is the gator roll that was all mentioned previously. I am not not a big fan. I am more of fan of a chest to chest tackle in which you punch your hands up under the ball carriers shoulder pads you widen your legs and get your head back. Run thru the ball carrier similar to old tackle just don’t stick head into ball or carrier.

It is part of concussion protection it is the rugby tackle that the Seahawks adapted. The head goes behind and then there is the gator roll that was all mentioned previously. I am not not a big fan. I am more of fan of a chest to chest tackle in which you punch your hands up under the ball carriers shoulder pads you widen your legs and get your head back. Run thru the ball carrier similar to old tackle just don’t stick head into ball or carrier.

Not busting you personally Palmbeachhoosier, but that's not a rugby tackle.... Seven years of playing rugby on a regional level and I'll tell that that ain't even close. They can call it what they want but that's not the technique used by any experienced, quality rugby team that I ever played for or against.

The last thing you're trying to do in rugby is to take the player to the ground... sometimes it's the only thing you can do and it requires the opponent to release the ball, but going to the ground and the "alligator roll" just takes you out of the continuing play action which really defeats the purpose. The ideal proper rugby tackle is to wrap up the player while driving him backwards and still keeping him standing. The reason is so he can't extend his arm to pitch it to a teammate.... once he's wrapped and going backwards he has to release the ball. In rugby it's illegal to "fight" for yardage like in football.

It cheeses my ass when I hear TV announcers who don't know jack-s*** about rugby make that statement. People hear it and think that's how it's done in rugby when it's really not.

Last edited:
Not busting you personally Palmbeachhoosier, but that's not a rugby tackle.... Seven years of playing rugby on a regional level and I'll tell that that ain't even close. They can call it what they want but that's not the technique used by any experienced, quality rugby team that I ever played for or against.

The last thing you're trying to do in rugby is to take the player to the ground... sometimes it's the only thing you can do and it requires the opponent to release the ball, but going to the ground and the "alligator roll" just takes you out of the continuing play action as well which really defeats the purpose. The ideal proper rugby tackle is to wrap up the player while driving him backwards and still keeping him standing. The reason is so he can't extend his arm to pitch it to a teammate.... once he's wrapped and going backwards he has to release the ball. In rugby it's illegal to "fight" for yardage like in football.

It cheeses my ass when I hear TV announcers who don't know jack-s*** about rugby make that statement. People hear it and think that's how it's done in rugby when it's really not.
Thanks for the info. Never played rugby or really even watched it watched it just going by what I was taught which apparently is wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT