ADVERTISEMENT

Thumb Update Good news

i don't want to be the skeptical guy, but......

1. How is the thumb getting better when the surgery was yesterday?
2. How is it even within the realm of possibility that he might be ready for MSU?

I'm encouraged by the optimistic update, but also not really buying the degree of optimism.

2. How is it even within the realm of possibility that he might be ready for MSU?

I'm encouraged by the optimistic update, but also not really buying the degree of optimism.
Having any procedure in a surgery setting doesn’t mean it was major. Probably cleaning things up. Sounds pretty minor.

For instance, if the surgery was to remove the nail from the bed, you would recover from that pretty quickly

I just looked at our schedule. 3 games before we hit a bye week. Of those three games, two are in Bloomington. Wash and UM in Btown and MSU on the road.
Then bye week and a close at OSU and home with PU.
We would all be guessing, but worst case with the first three, I think, would be 1-2. We would be 8-2 with 2 games left.
If we go 2-1 over this upcoming threesome we are 9-1.
We are asking a lot of a back up QB who does not get first team reps.
Some of those great throws and catches we were making may not be present now. A few Tayven runs may help. D making turnovers would help. Everyone has to step up. Time will tell, but if I were a defense player, I want to help by pitching a shutout.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I just looked at our schedule. 3 games before we hit a bye week. Of those three games, two are in Bloomington. Wash and UM in Btown and MSU on the road.
We would all be guessing, but worst case with the first three, I think, would be 1-2. We would be 8-2 with 2 games left.
Some of those great throws and catches we were making may not be present now. A few Tayven runs may help. D making turnovers would help. Everyone has to step up. Time will tell, but if I were a defense player, I want to help by pitching a shutout.
Regardless of how quickly Rourke is back, Tayven can make all of us feel a whole lot better about the rest of the season with a great showing on Saturday. He was excellent in the 2nd half last week and we scored 28 points in both halves. He was 7/8, with a stone cold drop for his 1 incompletion, for 91 yards plus 2 TD's. That dime he threw to Sarratt in the corner of the end zone was as good as any ball Rourke has thrown all season. I think he will play well against UW (200+ passing and 40+ points), and then we can worry about who's starting @ Sparty. I know I will be betting IU to cover and the over again on Saturday. That's hit 6 weeks in a row.

We are asking a lot of a back up QB who does not get first team reps. Most, if not all schools give their back-up QB some reps with the first unit, just not very many reps. Remember, Tayven has played and started games before.

Regardless of how quickly Rourke is back, Tayven can make all of us feel a whole lot better about the rest of the season with a great showing on Saturday. He was excellent in the 2nd half last week and we scored 28 points in both halves. He was 7/8, with a stone cold drop for his 1 incompletion, for 91 yards plus 2 TD's. That dime he threw to Sarratt in the corner of the end zone was as good as any ball Rourke has thrown all season. I think he will play well against UW (200+ passing and 40+ points), and then we can worry about who's starting @ Sparty. I know I will be betting IU to cover and the over again on Saturday. That's hit 6 weeks in a row.
Yeah, I would given Tayven the next 2 games for sure. Let him know he has those games. He is good enough to let Rourke heal for UM and OSU. I think that still let's Rourke up on the stage for the Heisman show (IMO).

His throw to Sarrat was outstanding. And from my vantage point, Andison goes 40 yards or whatever it was for the score if he doesn't drop that one late.

The ONLY thing that concerns me about Tayven is making conservative decisions. He threw picks last year because he trusted his arm to make throws he shouldn't have gambled on. Hopefully between experience, scheme, playcalling, & coaching that will be reduced significantly. If he takes care of the ball, I have no reason to think he can't be just as effective as Kurtis from a pure throwing perspective.

One thing that Kurtis also does really well is avoid sacks with his little dip move. He's as slow as me, but he can avoid some sacks. Tayven definitely adds a wrinkle with his ability to keep more effectively on the read option, so hopefully they get that in the mix.

One thing someone mentioned previously when Kurtis first went down was that an injury to QB1 like that creates a sense of urgency for all of the other position groups to stay locked in. I think there's going to be a lot of truth to that and I look for the OL & RBs as well as the defense to bring their A+ games on Saturday to keep things rolling even with Kurtis's absence.

One thing that Kurtis also does really well is avoid sacks with his little dip move. He's as slow as me, but he can avoid some sacks. Tayven definitely adds a wrinkle with his ability to keep more effectively on the read option, so hopefully they get that in the mix.
I wouldn't think the staff is going to put Tayven in too many scenarios where he can take an unnecessary shot. He goes down and then we're in a lot of trouble.

I wouldn't think the staff is going to put Tayven in too many scenarios where he can take an unnecessary shot. He goes down and then we're in a lot of trouble.

Just based on last year..., T was never a major running threat (although he did show good escapability from a collapsing pocket)... The reason the other guy got the nod over T initially was because he was the better runner...

I think we'll see the same thing we've seen with Rourke...; if the throw isn't there in the first 2.45 seconds T will pick up whatever yardage he can with his legs while not putting himself at any great risk (if that option isn't available he'll just do his best to throw it away and move on to the next play...)...

I don't expect to see him suddenly become a major running threat (but I could be wrong)...

That dime he threw to Sarratt in the corner of the end zone was as good as any ball Rourke has thrown all season.
There was a lot of talk about how nice a catch that was, but what impressed me more was how spot-on the *throw* was. There wasn’t much room in that corner, Sarratt was well covered, and Jackson placed it perfectly *from above and arriving just in front of* him.

Last edited:
Rub some dirt on it.
When I was in grade school, early 1950's, playing softball, a kid hit a foul ball over the side fence. It hit an old woman who was walking by on the sidewalk. She dropped her pursue and stood rubbing her elbow. The hitter ran over to her and said, "Don't worry, lady, it'll be OK. Just rub some dirt on it." Seventy years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

When I was in grade school, early 1950's, playing softball, a kid hit a foul ball over the side fence. It hit an old woman who was walking by on the sidewalk. She dropped her pursue and stood rubbing her elbow. The hitter ran over to her and said, "Don't worry, lady, it'll be OK. Just rub some dirt on it." Seventy years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday.
That's what they used to say back in my day.

I may have my rose-colored glasses on, but I think this only makes us stronger. It gives our backup a lot of quality reps, and if he preforms as well as he did the second half of last game, that makes us even scarier. It would show the world that Indiana is a TEAM built to win, not just relying on one player. Our OL and RBs have earned respect, and they are gonna continue to bring it. I think TJ will too.

The cure-all in my generation was “put some ice on it” and get back out there. The injury didn’t matter — broken arm, laceration, concussion, hit in the nads.
At school, no matter what was wrong, I’d tell the kids to go get a wet paper towel to put on their sore head, arm, leg, etc.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT