ADVERTISEMENT

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

It reminded me a bit of Crash, without the somewhat contrived 1 for 1 sin/redemptive circle like Crash had.

Did Crash get the same types of criticism? I don't remember any, but then I wasn't looking for any either.

BTW, did you notice at the end where the main characters essentially did the same thing when getting ready to leave on their journey? Mom kissed her son good-bye, and son kissed him mom good-bye . . . that had to be something important in the screenplay, but I've not seen any critics comment on it.
Billboards didn't remind me of anything, but it's been a long time since I've seen Crash.

Crash got a lot of criticism after it beat Brokeback Mountain, the favorite. In fact, just read an article where it was called one of the worst Oscar winners ever. Don’t recall what the specific criticism was.
What was the worst winner? For me, Birdman.

Most people think it's a criticism to say something wasn't universally popular or loved, but IMHO it's a compliment. I thought Billboards was wildly uneven tonally and that made it difficult to follow emotionally sometimes, but agree that the performances were unbelievably fantastic. Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand are acting geniuses.

And Get Out is also fantastic, subversive, original movie. It gets cast as a horror film, but it's really more a social satire than horror film. Really smart and funny and frightening and thoughtful. Have you ever noticed that most of the movies with those kind of adjectives attached are usually indie movies? Lots of good ones this year.
I’ve seen Get Out twice. It’s an excellent movie and I agree with your take on it.

Reactions: twenty02 and MrBing
What was the worst winner? For me, Birdman.

I can buy that. BOYHOOD was such tremendous filmmaking craft, but BIRDMAN had a great Oscar marketing campaign around it.

I always think about the movies that I think should have won when thinking of the worst Oscar winners. I'm not a fan of CRASH at all. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN definitely resonates more to me. Other ones that stick out for me are DANCES WITH WOLVES and OUT OF AFRICA. IMHO, GOODFELLAS is so infinitely better than Dances that it pains me. And to me, every other movie nominated the year that OUT OF AFRICA was nominated was more deserving.

All that said, if you made a movie that is even in consideration for a Best Picture nomination, it's a huge achievement!

I can buy that. BOYHOOD was such tremendous filmmaking craft, but BIRDMAN had a great Oscar marketing campaign around it.

I always think about the movies that I think should have won when thinking of the worst Oscar winners. I'm not a fan of CRASH at all. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN definitely resonates more to me. Other ones that stick out for me are DANCES WITH WOLVES and OUT OF AFRICA. IMHO, GOODFELLAS is so infinitely better than Dances that it pains me. And to me, every other movie nominated the year that OUT OF AFRICA was nominated was more deserving.

All that said, if you made a movie that is even in consideration for a Best Picture nomination, it's a huge achievement!

You have some good choices there. I always thought Apocalypse Now was robbed.

Reactions: hoosboot
If you haven't watched it yet, you should. I've not seen all the nominated films, but this is the best movie of 2017. The entire cast shines, with a sad profane violent funny story. It isn't upbeat, but it's hopeful.

I liked it. I watched it on a transatlantic flight and united edited the swear words out. It felt like the swearing was a major part of her character and they kinda ruined it. But still very good. I fear there are too many cops just like Rockwell’s character in real life in some of those towns. Hopefully there’s a Harrelson to counter such.

I liked it. I watched it on a transatlantic flight and united edited the swear words out. It felt like the swearing was a major part of her character and they kinda ruined it. But still very good. I fear there are too many cops just like Rockwell’s character in real life in some of those towns. Hopefully there’s a Harrelson to counter such.
12 years a slave! Was the worst for me “meh”

So I will go in a completely different direction and say that as a father with young kids, I really liked Wonder. Not an Oscar contender or anything like that but we are using it to kind of reinforce the Golden Rule to our boys. Also, one of my boys has a mild cognitive disability so the story of the "different" child hits close to home.

Anyways, not a bad show to watch with the younger kids or grandkids.

My guilty pleasure movie. I love watching it, even though the analytical half of my brain recognizes it's trash.

Apollo 13 should have won that year. Traffic should have beat Gladiator.
I like it too, but agree Apollo 13 should have won the Oscar. I also liked Gladiator, Forrest Gump and Dances with Wolves among the movies being dissed here. ;) Shawshank Redemption was a great movie and it should have won. Same with Goodfellas and Saving Private Ryan.

I like it too, but agree Apollo 13 should have won the Oscar. I also liked Gladiator, Forrest Gump and Dances with Wolves among the movies being dissed here. ;) Shawshank Redemption was a great movie and it should have won. Same with Goodfellas and Saving Private Ryan.
There's nothing wrong with enjoying a bad film. Braveheart was Gibson's first attempt at cinematic masturbation, a technique he later perfected with The Patriot, but it's still a fun movie to watch, because it has some great battle scenes, some decent humor, and a couple of supporting actors (especially James Cosmo and David O'Hara) who far outshine the star. When Braveheart shows up on TV, I will stop flipping channels and watch it, because I enjoy the hell out of it. I just realize that I'm enjoying it the way you might enjoy a bag of Doritos. It does it's thing, but Apollo 13 was clearly the filet mignon that year.

Now, Gladiator. I can't even justify that one. That movie was just an abortion. Shouldn't have even been nominated.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a bad film. Braveheart was Gibson's first attempt at cinematic masturbation, a technique he later perfected with The Patriot, but it's still a fun movie to watch, because it has some great battle scenes, some decent humor, and a couple of supporting actors (especially James Cosmo and David O'Hara) who far outshine the star. When Braveheart shows up on TV, I will stop flipping channels and watch it, because I enjoy the hell out of it. I just realize that I'm enjoying it the way you might enjoy a bag of Doritos. It does it's thing, but Apollo 13 was clearly the filet mignon that year.

Now, Gladiator. I can't even justify that one. That movie was just an abortion. Shouldn't have even been nominated.
That’s BS I liked Gladiator.

Forrest Gump. Stupid movie. Shawshank should have won.

Different strokes for different folks...to me, Shawshank is fine, but not extraordinary. I found Traffic to be much better and I got no beef with Forrest Gump winning. What's your problem with it? The filmmaking skill was pretty audacious for the time.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
My guilty pleasure movie. I love watching it, even though the analytical half of my brain recognizes it's trash.

Apollo 13 should have won that year. Traffic should have beat Gladiator.

Can't agree in the least. I think Apollo 13 was the 5th best movie nominated that year. Like a lot of Ron Howard's stuff for me, it is technically exceptional but sort of emotionally inaccessible. I don't mind Braveheart winning, but Il Postino and Babe were my favorite nominated movies that year.

Can't agree in the least. I think Apollo 13 was the 5th best movie nominated that year. Like a lot of Ron Howard's stuff for me, it is technically exceptional but sort of emotionally inaccessible. I don't mind Braveheart winning, but Il Postino and Babe were my favorite nominated movies that year.

Il Postino was a beautiful movie, soulful.

Last edited:
I got no beef with Forrest Gump winning.
My issue with Gump winning is how can it win but not Raiders? The only reason Raiders could not win is that it wasn't the "type" of movie that wins. If we aren't going to let the greatest fun movie ever win, (either Raiders 1 or 3), then fun movies just aren't allowed to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT