ADVERTISEMENT

Those Classy KY Folks

You are furthering a narrative that was started many years ago by folks who had an agenda. I urge you to do some reading (if you can) about Rupp's attempts to integrate and the years that it occurred. But you're right; Knight was much worse. Head butts, choking, using whips in a racist fashion... not to mention his infamous "rape" quote. Good luck reviving a dead program
Kentucky was among the last of the SEC schools (1970) to have a black player on the roster. Wanna try again with the bullshit that Adolph was the champion of integrating minorities onto his teams. I typed really slow so that you can try to follow.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
If he wasn’t racist then why wouldn’t he shake hands with the Texas western players? I’ll wait?

Kentucky was among the last of the SEC schools (1970) to have a black player on the roster. Wanna try again with the bullshit that Adolph was the champion of integrating minorities onto his teams. I typed really slow so that you can try to follow.
No, they weren’t.

Rupp did not have a black player until 1970. 1970! The majority of SEC schools had integrated basketball by that time. Rupp had been at UK for 30 plus years before bringing in a black player. I am thinking that it is Rupp that had the agenda....
Some of them had integrated, but not the deep south schools.
If he wasn’t racist then why wouldn’t he shake hands with the Texas western players? I’ll wait?
Again, Frank DeFord's biased narrative. Do you have any independent evidence of that? It may or may not be true. If he didn't, there may be other reasons, like he was pissed about the officiated or something, I don't know, I was only 10 when it happened. Don't forget, the ACC, including mighty Duke was as segregated as the SEC was, so if UK had lost the semi-final game to Duke, then it would have been all-white Duke vs. Texas Western.

Reactions: RipThru

You're the slow one. He offered Unseld and Beard well before that. Try again.

Rupp did not have a black player until 1970. 1970! The majority of SEC schools had integrated basketball by that time. Rupp had been at UK for 30 plus years before bringing in a black player. I am thinking that it is Rupp that had the agenda....

try looking up Wes Unseld and Ralph Beard. They were offered scholarships.

3* title games and 5 final fours in that cherry-picked time frame you conveniently set lol. And we actually won 2 of them. No one remembers you lost a national championship almost two decades ago because you haven't done anything remotely close since. If you all would just accept and admit that you are 2 tiers beneath Kentucky we wouldn't have to do this. But as long as you hold on to this little man syndrome, taking shots at a program far superior to yours, we'll be here to remind you where you stand.
Yeah and that’s why your coward of a coach stopped playing us.

Yeah and that’s why your coward of a coach stopped playing us.
Coward? Let's see. We play Duke, UNC, Kansas, Louisville, Ohio State, Michigan State, Big 12/SEC Challenge, and just because UK doesn't choose to schedule your little program anymore, we are a coward? I just looked over IU's non-conf schedule this season and I only see Florida State as ranked teams.

You're the slow one. He offered Unseld and Beard well before that. Try again.
no, you are the slow one. He clearly wrote "have a black player on the roster". Neither one attended UK. I don't feel that finally offering your first black recruit, in 1964!, is something that Rupp Apologists can be proud of. So Rupp offered 2 black players scholarships to UK in 30 plus years, and you are touting him as a civil rights champion. LOL

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
no, you are the slow one. He clearly wrote "have a black player on the roster". Neither one attended UK. I don't feel that finally offering your first black recruit, in 1964!, is something that Rupp Apologists can be proud of. So Rupp offered 2 black players scholarships to UK in 30 plus years, and you are touting him as a civil rights champion. LOL
It would have been quite difficult to have a black player before the mid-60's in the SEC or ACC since several of the deep south states had laws forbidding schools from playing integrated schools, it would have meant a lot of forfeits. No, I am nor touting him as a civil rights champion. He could have done more, but he was a man of his time, and had to exist in the SEC, which until 1964 was a segregated conference. I don't think he was a bigot or a klansman, but as you can see from his record as a high school coach in Illinois in 26-30, he did have black players then. As a side note, UK had 4 football players who were the first 4 black student athletes of any sport in the SEC. There is a statue of them in front of the practice facility today.

No. This is why.

Indiana vs. Kentucky since 1995:

Championships:

UK 3
IU 0

Final Fours:

UK 7
IU 1

Elite Eights:

UK 14
IU 1

Conference tournament championships

UK 13
IU 0

NCAA Tournament victories:

UK 67
IU 16
WTF does that have to do with anything you dumb ****.He stopped playing us after we hit the game winner and our fans stormed the court. You’re as dumb as they come just like your sorry ass coach. By the way with all those top recruiting classes your team has had you seriously underachieved. This is because your coach sucks and lives with one and done players.

KY coaches who's constitutions are far to delicate to handle IU students storming the court after the WatShot say they won't play IU.

Last night KY Asst Coach John Robic screamed "You Cheating MF'r" in the face of the Official Scorer at texas tech after they made an error on the foul count of one of the KY mercenaries.

Worst people in basketball.

I wouldn't give them too much flack, at least they care and do not accept mediocrity. You kind of forget we all (me included) idolize someone who probably said the same and then proceeded to throw a chair into cheerleaders! I wish we would care more. To me, growing up, their program with Rex Chapman was a joke. I expected to win every game against them, make opossum recipe jokes, but that's all been turned on its head. Since the Pitino days, they've been vastly more successful and clean or cleaner than us, probably less off-court issues. Cal is Cal, like it or not he has as system. I'd argue it's not a great system, because it relies constantly on young players to gel every year come March. However, it seems to be more successful than what we are doing or paying for, and to give him some due, he does it consistently, as sleazy as we think things may be there just based on suspicion and them stealing players out of our backyard, get young talented teams ready to play in March … sound like someone we used to know who wasn't an angel in their own right?

Last edited:
I wouldn't give them too much flack, at least they care and do not accept mediocrity. You kind of forget we all (me included) idolize someone who probably said the same and then proceeded to throw a chair into cheerleaders! I wish we would care more. To me, growing up, their program with Rex Chapman was a joke. I expected to win every game against them, make opossum recipe jokes, but that's all been turned on its head. Since the Pitino days, they've been vastly more successful and clean or cleaner than us, probably less off-court issues. Cal is Cal, like it or not he has as system. I'd argue it's not a great system, because it relies constantly on young players to gel every year come March. However, it seems to be more successful than what we are doing or paying for, and to give him some due, he does it consistently, as sleazy as we think things may be there just based on suspicion and them stealing players out of our backyard, get young talented teams ready to play in March … sound like someone we used to know who wasn't an angel in their own right?

BK for all of his faults played student athletes in a collegiate program. KY fan has allowed Cal to outsource the program to mercenaries. There is no comparison between the two. Once the OAD program is gone KY grads will look around and wonder what happened to their program. The non-grad hangers on won't care.

WTF does that have to do with anything you dumb ****.He stopped playing us after we hit the game winner and our fans stormed the court. You’re as dumb as they come just like your sorry ass coach. By the way with all those top recruiting classes your team has had you seriously underachieved. This is because your coach sucks and lives with one and done players.

Because you are irrelevant. But you so WANT to be relevant...By the way little fella, you'd die for our success the past 10 years since, you know, you have none. Except for that big game in December. ;);)

So he is supposed to have forced them to come play at UK? :rolleyes:

BK for all of his faults played student athletes in a collegiate program. KY fan has allowed Cal to outsource the program to mercenaries. There is no comparison between the two. Once the OAD program is gone KY grads will look around and wonder what happened to their program. The non-grad hangers on won't care.

Boy no truer words have ever been spoken.

By the way, you do realize UK will still have the best players available that are playing college basketball, right? :) Or maybe you don't.

2 players, in 32 years. lol

Here you go. Tag me if you need help with the big words.

"During that time, Rupp was playing all comers around the country, white or black. He often took his team to Chicago or New York to play against some of the powerhouse collegiate teams with black players. He recruited black players (at least fifteen - Lexington Herald Leader, March 31, 1990.), including Wes Unseld, Butch Beard and Jim McDaniels, but it was a difficult undertaking to convince a black player to come to Kentucky. Doing so, he would be the focal point in college basketball, as at that time Kentucky was the premier basketball dynasty. A black player would be subjected to the worst taunts and slurs imaginable during road games at places such as Oxford and Starkville Mississippi, Athens Georgia, Baton Rouge Louisiana etc. (Not to mention the aspect of arranging lodging and meals in the segregated South.) Nevertheless, there were a number of people who claimed that Rupp did not recruit these players or when he did, Rupp didn't recruit them hard enough."

Reactions: RogerIndy
"Rupp integrated the University of Kentucky basketball program when sophomore Tom Payne stepped on the court for UK in the 1970-71 season and Rupp was one of the first coaches in the SEC or ACC conference to recruit a black player in 1964".

"Rupp integrated the University of Kentucky basketball program when sophomore Tom Payne stepped on the court for UK in the 1970-71 season and Rupp was one of the first coaches in the SEC or ACC conference to recruit a black player in 1964".

What a guy. lol ... "nevertheless, there were a number of people who claimed that Rupp did not recruit these players, or when he did, Rupp did not recruit them hard enough"-Lexington Herald

What a guy. lol ... "nevertheless, there were a number of people who claimed that Rupp did not recruit these players, or when he did, Rupp did not recruit them hard enough"-Lexington Herald
You realize the entire south was a segregated society then, right? And that racial prejudice was an insidious condition practiced by many, including some pretty close to home, right? When is your diatribe against Bear Bryant going to be published?

You realize the entire south was a segregated society then, right? And that racial prejudice was an insidious condition practiced by many, including some pretty close to home, right? When is your diatribe against Bear Bryant going to be published?

I don't want to hit the like button on this because, of course, I don't like it at all, but I agree with it. As I mentioned before, UK football had the first African-American student athletes in the SEC in any sport. There is a sculpture of the first 4 in front of the football practice facility today.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
Because you are irrelevant. But you so WANT to be relevant...By the way little fella, you'd die for our success the past 10 years since, you know, you have none. Except for that big game in December. ;);)
No I wouldn’t because your coach can’t coach he’s just a recruiter who uses the one and done bs on young men. He doesn’t develop talent it’s already there. Act like you have a great coach. What a ****ing joke.

No I wouldn’t because your coach can’t coach he’s just a recruiter who uses the one and done bs on young men. He doesn’t develop talent it’s already there. Act like you have a great coach. What a ****ing joke.
He wouldn't be at UK if he couldn't coach. Look at what he did at UMass and Memphis, which were losing programs before he got there. Look past Marcus Camby and Derrick Rose, because it took more than one player to build programs.

Evansville far the worst lost they have lost 10 straight and been through 3 coaches this year. So don’t come with that BS
Given. Evansville was a very bad loss, maybe the worst of Cal's time at Kentucky. Even worse now since all the turmoil they have been through since we played them. Are you claiming that one bad loss disqualifies us from the NCAA tournament?

Given. Evansville was a very bad loss, maybe the worst of Cal's time at Kentucky. Even worse now since all the turmoil they have been through since we played them. Are you claiming that one bad loss disqualifies us from the NCAA tournament?
Should have never ever happen period sir terrible loss will keep Kentucky off the 1 or 2 in tourney.

Last edited:
Should have never ever happen period sir terrible loss will keep Kentucky off the 1 or 2 in tourney.
I agree. We are probably looking at a 4 seed right now. This is a season where there is no overwhelming favorite. I mean, look at the top 5. Baylor? meh. Gonzaga and San Diego State? Who do they play? Kansas? meh. Louisville? We beat them.

Boy no truer words have ever been spoken.

By the way, you do realize UK will still have the best players available that are playing college basketball, right? :) Or maybe you don't.

Check back with me about that. I look forward to it.

It would have been quite difficult to have a black player before the mid-60's in the SEC or ACC since several of the deep south states had laws forbidding schools from playing integrated schools, it would have meant a lot of forfeits. No, I am nor touting him as a civil rights champion. He could have done more, but he was a man of his time, and had to exist in the SEC, which until 1964 was a segregated conference. I don't think he was a bigot or a klansman, but as you can see from his record as a high school coach in Illinois in 26-30, he did have black players then. As a side note, UK had 4 football players who were the first 4 black student athletes of any sport in the SEC. There is a statue of them in front of the practice facility today.
Paragraphs Cletus. Get some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT