ADVERTISEMENT

This Style of Basketball HAS to Change

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Only 8 teams in the NCAA have taken fewer three-point attempts than we have this year

We are still playing 1980s-style basketball with two post players on the floor at the same time and a point guard taking low-efficiency mid-range jumpers.

Woody - PLEASE drag this program into the modern era of basketball.

Reactions: IUgradman
Only 8 teams in the NCAA have taken fewer three-point attempts than we have this year

We are still playing 1980s-style basketball with two post players on the floor at the same time and a point guard taking low-efficiency mid-range jumpers.

We need to go back to the pack line

I agree, but it seemed to me our problem yesterday was on defense and rebounding. I also don't understand how this team so regularly fouls so much more than their opponent. That FT disparity, and their ability to knock them down, was the difference looking at the box score. That and we had no one who could stop Pickett. Did we ever try JHS on Pickett? He's the one perimeter guy who at least has the size to counter him. I don't feel good about a freshman on him, but why not try?

Reactions: BigMobe and DANC
I agree, but it seemed to me our problem yesterday was on defense and rebounding. I also don't understand how this team so regularly fouls so much more than their opponent. That FT disparity, and their ability to knock them down, was the difference looking at the box score. That and we had no one who could stop Pickett. Did we ever try JHS on Pickett? He's the one perimeter guy who at least has the size to counter him. I don't feel good about a freshman on him, but why not try?
Ft disparity against a team that is bottom of the barrel in that category?

Isn’t it true that 33% from 3 is equal to 50% from 2’s given the same number of shots? Well yesterday PSU shot 34% from 3. We actually took 10 more overall shots than them but didn’t shoot 50% from 2’s. The difference in the game in my opinion was a few missed layups in the first half, our inability to keep them off the charity stripe and allowing some very untimely offensive rebounds.

We made 8 more FGs then PSU and only committed 6 to’s yet were behind almost the entire game. If that isn’t proof that our style has to change I don’t know what is. Kopp and Trey really struggled yesterday.
The PSU game was lost due to the disparity in free throw shots made. PSU went 23/26 from the line & IU went 9/11. So, PSU outscored IU by 14 points from the line in a game where IU lost by 4 points.

Pickett had his way. Nobody could do anything to stop him. He was backing guys down w his head on a turret and then hitting bunnies (if he wanted) or hitting the open man from 3. He is confident. Reminds me of a shorter Gerald Wallace. The young man can ball.

Isn’t it true that 33% from 3 is equal to 50% from 2’s given the same number of shots? Well yesterday PSU shot 34% from 3. We actually took 10 more overall shots than them but didn’t shoot 50% from 2’s. The difference in the game in my opinion was a few missed layups in the first half, our inability to keep them off the charity stripe and allowing some very untimely offensive rebounds.
it's mathematically true, but it's much more difficult to get good looks from 3 as the level of competition increases and the variance can be wild. In the 2 NCAA Tournaments since the 3 point line was moved back, teams have hit 191 of 680 three point attempts in Sweet 16 games for 28%. That's an average of 6 of 21.

28% from 3 is equivalent to 42% from 2. Lets say you have a night where you're a little chilly from 3 and hit just 4 of 18, which could easily happen deep in the NCAA Tournament, that's a 2 point fg equivalent of 33%.

This is one of the reasons that I liked IU's chances to make a run this year. We have guys that can hit it, but with TJD we can afford to be a little more choosy in our shot selection than teams that are dependent on their 3 point output. Obviously this was before I realized that we would also be dedicated to being on the negative end of Free Throws, Rebounding and Turnovers.

Pickett had his way. Nobody could do anything to stop him. He was backing guys down w his head on a turret and then hitting bunnies (if he wanted) or hitting the open man from 3. He is confident. Reminds me of a shorter Gerald Wallace. The young man can ball.
We made him look like Oscar Robertson in his prime.

it's mathematically true, but it's much more difficult to get good looks from 3 as the level of competition increases and the variance can be wild. In the 2 NCAA Tournaments since the 3 point line was moved back, teams have hit 191 of 680 three point attempts in Sweet 16 games for 28%. That's an average of 6 of 21.

28% from 3 is equivalent to 42% from 2. Lets say you have a night where you're a little chilly from 3 and hit just 4 of 18, which could easily happen deep in the NCAA Tournament, that's a 2 point fg equivalent of 33%.

This is one of the reasons that I liked IU's chances to make a run this year. We have guys that can hit it, but with TJD we can afford to be a little more choosy in our shot selection than teams that are dependent on their 3 point output. Obviously this was before I realized that we would also be dedicated to being on the negative end of Free Throws, Rebounding and Turnovers.
Exactly.
Pickett dictated how the game was to be played after about 12 minutes into the game. TG and Pickett are the same size 6'4", 200. Somebody mentioned trying Hood's extra size disrupting Pickett and his attack into the paint. I totally agree with that especially trying it in the 1st half. His kick outs to a 3 shooter were invaluable. Still wondering why not.

Reactions: kkott
We missed so many at the rim I lost count.

Efficiency is more important than type of shot. This team can hit from all three levels. Mid range is so important to this team. It also helped Kansas win last year. Great post.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

80s? We were one of the top 3 point shooting teams in the 80s.

Because that's not how the NBA does it.

The PSU game was lost due to the disparity in free throw shots made. PSU went 23/26 from the line & IU went 9/11. So, PSU outscored IU by 14 points from the line in a game where IU lost by 4 points.
Seems like this is the norm for IU the last few years. Use to be IU made more fts than other teams attempted.

I don't think what we've had last year and this year is exactly Coach Woodson'soffensive style.
Agreed. If Watford or Haston or Anderson were paired with Trayce this team would be 4 wins better easily. The problem is you have a 4 and a 5 who don't open the floor, and a 2 who doesn't score much. So much pressure on scoring while guarded.

80s? We were one of the top 3 point shooting teams in the 80s.
Yes, percentage wise, but teams didn’t rely on the 3 ball like they do today. I can’t recall in the 80’s when IU shot 20+ 3’s and made 10. It just didn’t happen back then.

• Wow
Reactions: Myhurricane

Rebounding is discipline (boxing out) and effort. IU should not be this bad of a rebounding team. The number of offensive rebounds we allow is appalling.

Yes, percentage wise, but teams didn’t rely on the 3 ball like they do today. I can’t recall in the 80’s when IU shot 20+ 3’s and made 10. It just didn’t happen back then.
Not one season in the 80s and 90s did IU average 20 plus attempts. Average was around 3-4 made a game with 7-8 attempts. In 87 IU as a team only attempted 256. People need to stop making shit up. Davis had a few that did during the wright years. Creans teams were around 15-17 attempts with 7-9 makes. This team is not as bad on threes as everyone thinks. It’s defense and the missed freaking bunnies. Throw in rebounding too.

So I got a All American center.
Who plays in the post..I'm not dumping down to him..Almost every time?
Geez..
I really wonder if Indiana has a smart intelligent fan base.
I do agree ..I don't like to watch it.
But Woodson is gonna be forced to do something new next yr..
Woodson either sinks or swims next yr..
With what he has coming back..?
His only hope is the portal..We'll see.

I don’t think this offense is exactly what Woody prefers to play, but he also appears willing to change his approach based on the personnel he has. He has stated playing 4 out as a desire, but we don’t have the horses to do it yet so he does what he feels gives us the best chance to win games. And that is playing through TJD and JHS.

It will have to change next year, because no way we have a TJD on the court unless MR explodes onto the scene. And he is a better shooter than TJD already.

I don’t think this offense is exactly what Woody prefers to play, but he also appears willing to change his approach based on the personnel he has. He has stated playing 4 out as a desire, but we don’t have the horses to do it yet so he does what he feels gives us the best chance to win games. And that is playing through TJD and JHS.

It will have to change next year, because no way we have a TJD on the court unless MR explodes onto the scene. And he is a better shooter than TJD already.
I bet MR puts up more shots this summer than he has in 5 years.

22 wins quit complaining

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

This is why race was allowed and encouraged to shoot. Just need the guys to execute it.

Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT