ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking outside the box, how about Greg Tonagel from Indiana Wesleyan?

Fro

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
http://www.iwuwildcats.com/coach/0/6.php

- From LaPorte, IN
- Indiana HS All-Star who played in last one-class state finals
- Played at Valpo under Homer Drew and went to NCAAs 4x. Assistant coach/director of Basketball operations there for a couple years.
- Record is 330-91 (Program only won 7 games the year before he got there), 157-47 in conference
- 8 conference championships in 12 years
- Last 4 years, National title, Elite Eight, National title, Final Four
- Obviously would know Indiana HS/AAU coaches and have a good relationship with them.
- Only 36 years old

He's pretty well-spoken, too

Even if you don't think he's D-I HC material since he's doing this at a D-II NAIA level, I think you could throw enough $$$ at him to hire him as an assistant. Dude certainly knows how to coach to have that kind of record and would be an asset on any staff.

- From LaPorte, IN
- Played at Valpo under Homer Drew and went to NCAAs 4x. Assistant coach/director of Basketball operations there for a couple years.
- Record is 330-91 (Program only won 7 games the year before he got there), 157-47 in conference
- Obviously would know Indiana HS/AAU coaches and have a good relationship with them.
- Only 36 years old

Even if you don't think he's D-I HC material since he's doing this at a D-II NAIA level, I think you could throw enough $$$ at him to hire him as an assistant. Dude certainly knows how to coach to have that kind of record and would be an asset on any staff.

Didn't you already suggest this dude before? Look, no offense to him but he needs to work his way up. If IU went out and signed a D2/NAIC coach than we CERTAINLY have fallen from the conversation of Blue Blood.

Didn't you already suggest this dude before? Look, no offense to him but he needs to work his way up. If IU went out and signed a D2/NAIC coach than we CERTAINLY have fallen from the conversation of Blue Blood.

I haven't suggested him before. Maybe someone else did but I don't remember reading that. I was looking to see who had won multiple national champions in their division and was relatively young.

I'm of the opinion that if you get a great Xs and Os coach who can recruit Indiana everything will take care of itself.

Reactions: Viking72
I haven't suggested him before. Maybe someone else did but I don't remember reading that. I was looking to see who had won multiple national champions in their division and was relatively young.

I'm of the opinion that if you get a great Xs and Os coach who can recruit Indiana everything will take care of itself.

Ok gotcha, yeah someone posted this same information about a month or two back. I think with a top 5 or gosh forbid top 10 program, you have the ability to get a proven coach. It seems crazy to me that we would find it hard to get one. If we can't then we should take that as a hint about what kind of program we truly are.

Reactions: IUPaterade724

I've brought him up before, and agree. He's a proven WINNER. Great game coach (one would think), give him the talent, and why wouldn't he succeed at the D1 level?

I'll take him over all the ego-maniacal retreads that keep getting mentioned on this board.

IIRC, a certain Robert Montgomery Knight was pretty much an unknown quantity when he was hired.

SouthBendJim

Ok gotcha, yeah someone posted this same information about a month or two back. I think with a top 5 or gosh forbid top 10 program, you have the ability to get a proven coach. It seems crazy to me that we would find it hard to get one. If we can't then we should take that as a hint about what kind of program we truly are.
More like we should take it as a hint of what kind of AD we have who can't get a top coach here....

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
I like Mitch Henderson better. Once Princeton knocks out ND in another classic 5/12 seed matchup, he'll be the top candidate. lol

Kidding aside. Success seems to follow this guy. He did spend a decade in the Big 10 with Carmody at NW. He went to Princeton an Ivy League school so maybe when he talks basketball it might make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Henderson

I often never understand what our current coach is saying. He speaks like Kramer on Seinfeld when Kramer drank all those unlimited Cafe Latte's. In Creans case he has sucked down to much caffiene from all those diet cokes.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I've brought him up before, and agree. He's a proven WINNER. Great game coach (one would think), give him the talent, and why wouldn't he succeed at the D1 level?

I'll take him over all the ego-maniacal retreads that keep getting mentioned on this board.

IIRC, a certain Robert Montgomery Knight was pretty much an unknown quantity when he was hired.

SouthBendJim

Which coaches are you referring to when you say retreads? I feel like there are lots of coaches being mentioned that haven't worn out their tread or in need of being retread. But maybe there are coaches you're speaking of that I am not thinking about?

SouthBendJim

Knight was hardly "an unknown quantity" at the time.

He was gaining quite a name for himself and his chops among the east coast press and among the coaching fraternity. Wisconsin almost grabbed him before Bill Orwig made his move.

I would assume that he needs to experience high level basketball and high level recruiting first. However, I really like this guys potential. If the next coach could get this guy as a top assistant, that would seem like a home run. I bet this guy would be a phenomenal guy on staff.

I would assume that he needs to experience high level basketball and high level recruiting first. However, I really like this guys potential. If the next coach could get this guy as a top assistant, that would seem like a home run. I bet this guy would be a phenomenal guy on staff.

Unless it is one of the Drew's then he'll likely work his way up the coaching ranks. I'd be all for Bryce Drew with Tonagel as an asst. but someone posted recently that Tonagel doesn't view himself as not being the guy in charge.

Greg Tonagel is a great coach and a great leader. He would be a great Assistant Coach at IU!

Reactions: Sassy61

- From LaPorte, IN
- Only 36 years old

Having some power 5 assistant experience would be a huge plus for him, especially in learning the off-the-court things a coach needs to know that he doesn't encounter at his current level and will be new to him.

Haha Of course not.....unfortunately that's just how things tend to work out.
Just repeated what someone else posted. Maybe he prefers working his way up the head coaching ranks via mid major jobs. I have idea what he prefers or would do.

Which coaches are you referring to when you say retreads? I feel like there are lots of coaches being mentioned that haven't worn out their tread or in need of being retread. But maybe there are coaches you're speaking of that I am not thinking about?
Just tired of listening to us getting:

Brad Stevens - He's not coming!!!
Billy Donovan - Too much money
Greg Marshall - Seriously? Only marginally more successful than Crean
Sean Miller - Why would he leave the perennial power he has built at AZ?
Steve Alford - Not convinced about him. Moved around a lot, cheerleader scandal, Pierre Pierce
Jesus Christ - Too passive on defense, turn the other cheek and all that stuff

Crean is not a good game coach, and I think his biggest fault is that he doesn't motivate his players. He's all about stats and matchups, and when things don't go they way he game plans them, he can't adjust. His practices seem wooden and matter-of-fact (yeah, they showed one on BTN last year). Don't think he really connects with the players on a personal level.

I'm saying, give any good, competent basketball coach the resources available at IU, and I think we're headed in the right direction again. What good coach couldn't have won a NC or two with the talent John Wooden had?

Greg Tonegal. Young, talented, a proven winner.

Reactions: echs86

Steve Alford - Not convinced about him. Moved around a lot, cheerleader scandal, Pierre Pierce

Crean is not a good game coach, and I think his biggest fault is that he doesn't motivate his players. He's all about stats and matchups, and when things don't go they way he game plans them, he can't adjust. His practices seem wooden and matter-of-fact (yeah, they showed one on BTN last year). Don't think he really connects with the players on a personal level.

I'm saying, give any good, competent basketball coach the resources available at IU, and I think we're headed in the right direction again. What good coach couldn't have won a NC or two with the talent John Wooden had?

Wait, wha? Marshall is only marginally more successful than Crean?

Finished in the top 3 of the Big South conference all 9 years at Winthrop including 6 conference titles in that same time frame. 7 of those seasons he took WINTHROP (a team that had previously never been to the NCAA's) to the NCAA tourney. In 9 years at INDIANA TC has taken IU to what, 4 tourneys?

Then at Wichita State his team got better year after year. CBI, NIT then NIT champs before starting his now 6th year stretch of going to the NCAA's. At WSU he has a final four. 5 of the last 6 years he has won the Missouri Valley which is a competitive mid major. 68-4 in that conference over the last 4 years. That....is......insane. I don't know how anyone could reasonably say this is "marginally more successful than Crean." Heck, he's 9-4 in the tourney the last 4 years including a h2h matchup win against Crean.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmathum
Wait, wha? Marshall is only marginally more successful than Crean?

Finished in the top 3 of the Big South conference all 9 years at Winthrop including 6 conference titles in that same time frame. 7 of those seasons he took WINTHROP (a team that had previously never been to the NCAA's) to the NCAA tourney. In 9 years at INDIANA TC has taken IU to what, 4 tourneys?

Then at Wichita State his team got better year after year. CBI, NIT then NIT champs before starting his now 6th year stretch of going to the NCAA's. At WSU he has a final four. 5 of the last 6 years he has won the Missouri Valley which is a competitive mid major. 68-4 in that conference over the last 4 years. That....is......insane. I don't know how anyone could reasonably say this is "marginally more successful than Crean." Heck, he's 9-4 in the tourney the last 4 years including a h2h matchup win against Crean.
OK, maybe a bit of hyperbole on my part.

WSU, as you noted is a mid-major. Yeah, a F4 in a strange year for the tournament, but not a team everybody picks to go all the way every year. That's what Indiana should be. Hell, Mike Davis got to the championship game.

After all we've been through with the last three coaches, I'm ready to start fresh, and build the program up again with a coach who understands Indiana basketball, is glad to be here, and isn't looking for his next gig.

My dad didn't live to see the Cubs win it all last year. I'm getting to the point I wonder if I'll ever see IU hang another banner.

SouthBendJim

Reactions: Sassy61
Tonegal could keep those good Indiana players in state, and he's good enough to win with the talent we all believe is here. I'm sure he will find a great position with a smart AD.

Reactions: Sassy61 and echs86

- From LaPorte, IN
- Only 36 years old

This guy is a winner; he clearly has a system that's getting consistent, high level results. The coaching, motivation, X's and O's, and system should translate to D1, but what about the recruiting? Any specific concerns there?

Reactions: echs86

- From LaPorte, IN
- Only 36 years old

If he's, like, 18th on the list and the first 17 said "no" at least three times each

• Sad
Reactions: Myhurricane

- From LaPorte, IN
- Only 36 years old

Alford was badass at Manchester, too. Just sayin'.

Reactions: iulb
I like Mitch Henderson better. Once Princeton knocks out ND in another classic 5/12 seed matchup, he'll be the top candidate. lol

Kidding aside. Success seems to follow this guy. He did spend a decade in the Big 10 with Carmody at NW. He went to Princeton an Ivy League school so maybe when he talks basketball it might make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Henderson

I often never understand what our current coach is saying. He speaks like Kramer on Seinfeld when Kramer drank all those unlimited Cafe Latte's. In Creans case he has sucked down to much caffiene from all those diet cokes.

Well. Henderson and Princeton almost pulled it off. I'd still be fine with Henderson walking through the door to coach IU.

- From LaPorte, IN
- Only 36 years old

I don’t think they call it NAIA anymore and call it Division 3. Not entirely sure.
Anyways, I’m not advocate for this guy or anything as I never heard of him before this post. What I will tell you is that about 20 years ago WI hired a successful D3 coach and I think he won a few games here and there.

Reactions: IU 4 LIFE
Wasn't Bruce Pearl division lll at Southern Indiana? Anyway needs to prove it at multiple places for me to take a chance.

Are you saying Jesus Christ can't coach basketball? I bet you think he can't hit a curve ball either.

SouthBendJim

knight was hardly an unknown quantity. He had already been hired by Wisconsin AD Elroy Hirsch, but backed out before a contract was signed. He was exceedingly well known in the Big Ten.

knight was hardly an unknown quantity. He had already been hired by Wisconsin AD Elroy Hirsch, but backed out before a contract was signed. He was exceedingly well known in the Big Ten.
“Exceedingly well known in the Big Ten”? In the Spring of 1968?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT