ADVERTISEMENT

They did it again.

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
NKU with a mere 8 pt's in 17 1/2 minutes to open the game and only 14 for the entire first half. Adjusted for SOS, IU has the #3 effective FG defense in the nation (Torvik) and is ranked #7/#14 (Torvik/KenPom) on overall defensive efficiency. Guessing a ranking based strictly on first half stats would have them in front of everyone. Perimeter D seems to fall off pretty quick after halftime, perhaps because of over-helping and slower recovery on same by the second unit. That needs 'fixing' before B10 play begins.

IF (yeah I know) IU can maintain the defensive intensity for 40 minutes and IF the offense continues to improve (frigging TOs) and 'catch up' to the D, this Team is going to be a challenge for most everyone. Not saying they will be or crowning them in advance, only that the potential is there and that they have enough game to beat anyone in Conference.

Xavier really is the 'x factor' for this Team. His speed and assertiveness with the ball in transition is at times breathtaking, his D is relentless and disruptive, and at his best not sure there are many better, at least in the B10. IF (there's that word again) Woodson and Co. can get him to 'stay out of his own way' and play smart and 'detached', IU's offense could in fact 'catch up' to its offense. Would really really like to see that on a routine and consistent basis this Season.

This is our best D since the 2002 team. What they have in common is serious back line rim protection. This allows the guards to extend the ball pressure and wings to play more aggressive in the passing lanes.

Another thing they have in common is
Switching 1 thru 4. This reduces situations that require over helping and over rotating.
Jeffries, Newton and even Leach were stud defenders and anchored that run in the 2nd half of the season.

A lot of other similarities too. Hopefully, similar results!

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This is our best D since the 2002 team. What they have in common is serious back line rim protection. This allows the guards to extend the ball pressure and wings to play more aggressive in the passing lanes.

Another thing they have in common is
Switching 1 thru 4. This reduces situations that require over helping and over rotating.
Jeffries, Newton and even Leach were stud defenders and anchored that run in the 2nd half of the season.

A lot of other similarities too. Hopefully, similar results!
Newton and Leach both came up big time in that F4 game versus Oklahoma with Jeffries struggling. Leach’s 3 blocks in first half vs Oklahoma was HUGE! Newton as well. I miss that length of 6’11” Leach, 6’10” Jeffries and 6’9” Newton. Odle was a good position defender as well. Thank you Coach Knight for building that front line.

NKU with a mere 8 pt's in 17 1/2 minutes to open the game and only 14 for the entire first half. Adjusted for SOS, IU has the #3 effective FG defense in the nation (Torvik) and is ranked #7/#14 (Torvik/KenPom) on overall defensive efficiency. Guessing a ranking based strictly on first half stats would have them in front of everyone. Perimeter D seems to fall off pretty quick after halftime, perhaps because of over-helping and slower recovery on same by the second unit. That needs 'fixing' before B10 play begins.

IF (yeah I know) IU can maintain the defensive intensity for 40 minutes and IF the offense continues to improve (frigging TOs) and 'catch up' to the D, this Team is going to be a challenge for most everyone. Not saying they will be or crowning them in advance, only that the potential is there and that they have enough game to beat anyone in Conference.

Xavier really is the 'x factor' for this Team. His speed and assertiveness with the ball in transition is at times breathtaking, his D is relentless and disruptive, and at his best not sure there are many better, at least in the B10. IF (there's that word again) Woodson and Co. can get him to 'stay out of his own way' and play smart and 'detached', IU's offense could in fact 'catch up' to its offense. Would really really like to see that on a routine and consistent basis this Season.
Gave up 47 in second half

Reactions: Sophie1970
Gave up 47 in second half
We’ve had a few players look all world against us at times this year.

it’s reasonable to be in a wait and see mode .

Last year on this day we lost to NU. Going into that game (short Covid non conference) we were 5-2. That included getting annihilated by (at the time) an outstanding Texas team, beating top 25 providence by 20+, losing at FSU by a bucket, and beating Butler and Stanford. Not exactly Murderers row, but it is compared to this year.

we’ve played a bunch more games so far this season , including 1 conference game than we had at this point in ‘20 (before playing NU). But I’m not convinced we know much about this team.

Do fans feel more optimistic right now than we did exactly a year ago? The Big10 seems weaker. I guess time will tell, but it’s so early into a new regime and team that I think it’s reasonable to think anything at this point.

Last year on this day we lost to NU. Going into that game (short Covid non conference) we were 5-2. That included getting annihilated by (at the time) an outstanding Texas team, beating top 25 providence by 20+, losing at FSU by a bucket, and beating Butler and Stanford. Not exactly Murderers row, but it is compared to this year.

we’ve played a bunch more games so far this season , including 1 conference game than we had at this point in ‘20 (before playing NU). But I’m not convinced we know much about this team.

Do fans feel more optimistic right now than we did exactly a year ago? The Big10 seems weaker. I guess time will tell, but it’s so early into a new regime and team that I think it’s reasonable to think anything at this point.
I do agree with you as a whole, I am more optimistic now because I trust this teams shooting and defense more. I believe Kopp/Stewart/Bates/Galloway (one he returns) is much better defenders at the 2/3 spot than we had last year. I believe Johnson/Rob are better than just having Rob defensively at the point and Johnson adds an offensive attacking component we did not have last year. Finally while TJD/Race are the same interior defenders we had last year, I believe TJDs effort and intensity have doubled this season. Plus while still a lot to prove Durr/Geronimo backing up the 4/5 looks better than last year as well.

A long post to say that we have a ton to prove still but I do feel better about this years team.

NKU made 8 3’s in the second half, had 10 steals, and 9 offensive rebounds. All much better than IU. I assume a lot of those stats were acquired when IU had their second unit in the game. Woody noticed the problem and put the starters back in with around 7 minutes to go. Play the first string the whole game and IU wins by 25+ and NKU only scores 50 points.

NKU made 8 3’s in the second half, had 10 steals, and 9 offensive rebounds. All much better than IU. I assume a lot of those stats were acquired when IU had their second unit in the game. Woody noticed the problem and put the starters back in with around 7 minutes to go. Play the first string the whole game and IU wins by 25+ and NKU only scores 50 points.

there have been games where we have had concentration issues. Is our D as good as the first 15 minutes of the Wisconsin game, or the rest of that game?

when we played ND we came out sleepwalking and we had no one even close to the explosiveness of #23 for the ☘️. We turned it around though.

hopefully we can put 40 minutes together now that we are getting into conference play. I’ve seen too much of the Jekyll and Hyde crap over the past several years.

I'm still giving us just 50 /50 shot at the tournament....
Which is somewhat disappointing because we've had a bunch of influx of new player's..
I like some of the new pieces though..
I'm willing to see what the coaching staff does with them the rest of way ..I'm guilty of pissing and moaning to much at times....You know what they say? ..If coaches listened to the fan's..It won't be long. And they'll be just a fan too.
Go Hoosiers !

Woody was playing around so much with his line-ups that 2nd half that I don't take too much negativity out of the results.

Right now JG is so raw.....just a TO waiting to happen. I sure hope he can get it together sooner rather than later.

Johnson's double behind the back move was something unique....not sure when I last saw that. Amazing play.

Leal---so helpful on O with respect to ball movement, but a liability on his D due to lack of strength/size. The tiebreaker is his 3 pt shooting....he's got to hit those at a 40% clip......

Stewart's demeanor was concerning......I hope things work out with him......

Our 2nd team should still beat NKU easy is what's disappointing about this yet they struggled.

I am not as enamored with his D as you are. I still think he he gets beat off the dribble with bad positioning, does not handle the switch as well as he should, and his off ball D is suspect at times. I prefer RP on D. But X is getting better for sure.

And his offense is way ahead of RP. But RP showing improvement on that end recently. Just need both to be more consistent.

The second unit and even further down the bench gave up a lot that second half. Need to get those guys as much PT as possible, so honestly I didn’t care. It does tell us there is a pretty big drop off after the first 7-8 players.
Disagree. Take a look at the box score abs minutes of starters. While they didn’t play their 32 minutes, they played 26-29 minutes. There is a trend of this team playing great defense for a half. Point is valid that this game was in hand and some backups played more minutes, but starters all played significant minutes. Just pointing out what is may be a trend with this team.

I am not as enamored with his D as you are. I still think he he gets beat off the dribble with bad positioning, does not handle the switch as well as he should, and his off ball D is suspect at times. I prefer RP on D. But X is getting better for sure.

And his offense is way ahead of RP. But RP showing improvement on that end recently. Just need both to be more consistent.
Some of his off ball D IMO, is him hunting for steals & screwing up passing lanes - agree he's not as sticky as Rob but I think he's much more disruptive to the opposing team's offense as opposed to any one individual opponent

I'm still giving us just 50 /50 shot at the tournament....
Which is somewhat disappointing because we've had a bunch of influx of new player's..
I like some of the new pieces though..
I'm willing to see what the coaching staff does with them the rest of way ..I'm guilty of pissing and moaning to much at times....You know what they say? ..If coaches listened to the fan's..It won't be long. And they'll be just a fan too.
Go Hoosiers !
Do you gamble? I would kill for 50/50 odds on us making the tourney!!!!

I remember rmk saying long ago that he looks at halves as separate games so part of a team’s success is winning both 20 minute segments. IU has won 18 halves and lost 6. I just thought I’d throw that out there. Merry Christmas, too.

Not hard to have great defensive number when you're playing really crappy teams (they were 4-6).
The defensive efficiency (kenpom and Torvik) takes SOS into account. That's basically the gist of all three major computer generated ratings.

It's actually harder to have great overall defensive numbers playing poor teams than playing great ones because beating a poor team will not increase those stats and even great per game stats may end up decreasing the total efficiency.

While playing against a good team those numbers will instead be inflated instead of deflated.. So we could have a not so great per game number but still gain on overall defense.

So, basically your misunderstanding of how this all works is making you say dumb things.

The defensive efficiency (kenpom and Torvik) takes SOS into account. That's basically the gist of all three major computer generated ratings.

It's actually harder to have great overall defensive numbers playing poor teams than playing great ones because beating a poor team will not increase those stats and even great per game stats may end up decreasing the total efficiency.

While playing against a good team those numbers will instead be inflated instead of deflated.. So we could have a not so great per game number but still gain on overall defense.

So, basically your misunderstanding of how this all works is making you say dumb things.

Read this and matched what I have been thinking. We give up way too many open threes, if we dont correct it good teams will burn us. Our interior D (2p%) is elite, but we need work on the permitter.

Read this and matched what I have been thinking. We give up way too many open threes, if we dont correct it good teams will burn us. Our interior D (2p%) is elite, but we need work on the permitter.
But, can I point out that proficiency in competition is relative to the competition. Meaning, other teams have issues too. We aren't measured by how perfect we are or could be because that's unreachable, just have to be better than the competition.

Also, though we allow above average attempts (slightly), teams are still shooting under 30% on average. Also, a lot of those threes, came in games that were already out of reach for many of those teams.

If you want to point at a defensive negative that's more glaring, look at foul rate which is way too high, and look at where those fouls are coming from (not the inside guys) which is uncommon and could be a bigger problem in conference where players are quicker, better and more apt at getting to the line than the teams we've played.

Also, just because the shot was unchecked doesn't mean the defense didn't do its job. Def can make the shooter rush the shot, could make them take them in end of clock situations, could make them take them in spots where they don't shoot well. Maybe something the D did causes the misses. You can't just use that one stat and call it luck without drilling down a bit into other factors.

Last edited:

More, since you got me started.. vbg

Our starting backcourt is averaging 10 fouls per 40 minutes. 4.8 a piece. Maybe Woody is gambling here and it's a by product of the defensive aggressiveness.. but that's not a good foul rate for guards.

At this point it’s going to be disappointing if we don’t atleast make it to sweet 16, with the Schedule we have played to only have 2 losses is a big time indication that we are on right track.

• Haha
Reactions: Emartin70287
At this point it’s going to be disappointing if we don’t atleast make it to sweet 16, with the Schedule we have played to only have 2 losses is a big time indication that we are on right track.
Don’t choke on your Cheetos!!! Got a future in comedy.

X is very handsy. Hopefully the B1G lets a lot of his physical play go.
and PStew is getting called on bodying up too much. There has to be a happy medium where we can stay aggressive enough to be disruptive but not foul so much.

Xs mistakes can be fixed, stop reaching. PStew it might be a result of his slower speed. But that can also be fixed with better positioning.

I'm ready to see some good games... if everything gels we will surprise people. If not prepare for a lot of b*tching, moaning, crying and stupid drunk couch coaching.

8 or less conference losses .. that's a good baseline. It would put us into the tourney. Anything better is gravy.

Last edited:
Sweet 16? I will be happy to make the tourney and win a game. If we make the S16, I will be ecstatic. That would be a giant step from the shit storm we have endured the last few years.

Reactions: SouthBendJim
and PStew is getting called on bodying up too much. There has to be a happy medium where we can stay aggressive enough to be disruptive but not foul so much.

Xs mistakes can be fixed, stop reaching. PStew it might be a result of his slower speed. But that can also be fixed with better positioning.

I'm ready to see some good games... if everything gels we will surprise people. If not prepare for a lot of b*tching, moaning, crying and stupid drunk couch coaching.

8 or less conference losses .. that's a good baseline. It would put us into the tourney. Anything better is gravy.
Stew probably fits best as a 3. Not so sure we’re not better with 2 guards and Stew playing along side Race and Trayce.
Time will tell

But, can I point out that proficiency in competition is relative to the competition. Meaning, other teams have issues too. We aren't measured by how perfect we are or could be because that's unreachable, just have to be better than the competition.

Also, though we allow above average attempts (slightly), teams are still shooting under 30% on average. Also, a lot of those threes, came in games that were already out of reach for many of those teams.

If you want to point at a defensive negative that's more glaring, look at foul rate which is way too high, and look at where those fouls are coming from (not the inside guys) which is uncommon and could be a bigger problem in conference where players are quicker, better and more apt at getting to the line than the teams we've played.

Also, just because the shot was unchecked doesn't mean the defense didn't do its job. Def can make the shooter rush the shot, could make them take them in end of clock situations, could make them take them in spots where they don't shoot well. Maybe something the D did causes the misses. You can't just use that one stat and call it luck without drilling down a bit into other factors.
Very well articulated.

X is very handsy. Hopefully the B1G lets a lot of his physical play go.
Exactly why Rob is so important to overall team results. Teams that get in XJ's head and his reaction so affects his play on both ends of the court. Rob keeps the same jaw set whether he poked with a hot prod or eating chocolate cake. I view he and Race as near twins in the mental makeup towards their approach to competition now that Coach Woodson and Fife have their attention. More big steps in improvement coming. Like what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT