ADVERTISEMENT

There are maybe 10,000 people here…

Brilliant scheduling? You got to be kidding me. You can schedule more attractive games for fans and players, that still easily winnable without scheduling that.

Serious as a heart attack... I guarantee you Ball State wouldn't have drawn more than another 5,000 and the half time exodus would still have happened..., but the wear and tear on our Team would have been 4x what W. Illinois gave us.

In my opinion, that was the perfect team, at the perfect time, on the perfect day; to set things up for our game out in Pasadena...

The Athletic Department appears to have finally quit knuckling under to the "we have to see a top 20 opponent or we aren't coming" crowd (most of whom disappear as soon as things look a little tough any way) and has begun scheduling smart...

The Big Ten season is where we play a schedule that matches up to close to anyone else in the country year in and year out... The point of out of conference games are for getting ready for that grind not for adding to it...

The Playoffs or the Bowl games is where you'll get to see the interesting out of conference matchups...

Last edited:
Really disappointing. We started until midway through the 4th.

I don’t understand why we schedule Western Illinois… you can create an easy non conference schedule without scheduling a bottom feeder FCS. Schedule Ball State or Miami (OH) and the crowd is 40,000 tonight instead of 20,000.
Wasn't Western Ill. a substitute for Louisville who we were supposed to play
but IU bought out of that game?

Wasn't Western Ill. a substitute for Louisville who we were supposed to play
but IU bought out of that game?
Yea this game replaced the away game at Louisville. Next year we would have had Louisville at home.

Brilliant scheduling? You got to be kidding me. You can schedule more attractive games for fans and players, that still easily winnable without scheduling that.
Remember, this schedule was put together long before CCC was on the scene and TA was the coach. This game may have replaced Louisville which they said was to tough for IU to play.
I am sure we will see significant improvement in scheduling going forward.
GoHoosiers

Reactions: bang63
Purdue played FCS #123 Indiana State and had 59,000 at their game.

Western Illinois comes in at FCS #126.
Our attendance was reported at 39,000 but closer to 30,000 at the start of the game and then less than 10K by the start of the 4th quarter.

Northwestern played Duke last night at the temporary stadium in from to 15,000 fans.

Reactions: 76-1
I was impressed by Western Illinois for an FCS team. Strange to feel that in a massive blowout and their second blowout loss in a row.. But their guys kept playing hard. Not a lot of hanging their heads. Made some good blocks and some good plays. Looked pretty well coached too. Just me spitballing without coaching football experience, just a fan. They'll end their losing streak pretty soon. As long as they aren't too beat up already. First year coach starting with the meat grinder part of the schedule. They're in a weaker league now expected to suit them better.
Impressed? Their talent is garbage for their level

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Impressed? Their talent is garbage for their level
Yeah, I didn't really mean all that impressed in that manner. I meant 'for an 0-15 FCS team, but it was their attitude. Clearly the talent is weak.
What impressed me was they kept playing. And looked coached.
Other than a couple really slow DBs, they showed good toughness on the lines. Seemed to have good schemes and made some plays. Their offense will have to help them. Their coach is supposed to know QBs. Was an OC elsewhere. They have some young coaches with good resumes, although short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euro, jb17 and 76-1
I'm not going to be terribly critical of crowd size on a Friday night vs a terrible FCS team that lost big to NIU the previous week. Now if we are still undefeated or at least 3-1 by the Maryland game, I would expect a good crowd. In the end winning is the only remedy for this fanbase to start showing up for the team week in and week out. We have seen good starts followed by flameouts before and decades of disappointment have accumulated to the point that many fans are indifferent to the Western Illinois type games, in my opinion. We need some cupcakes but it is not a given that our beleaguered fan base is going to show up for those games, at least not yet. Hopefully CCC has the medicine to cure what ails.

It will likely take multiple solid years of wins and bowl wins before IU has anything around 45K+ fans in the stands. By that time, Coach Cig will tire of our lack of fan support and move on to something else. As the team came on to the field last night, you could see him look first into the East Stands and then the West stands. He made no comment about it but it was in his mind. He’ll eventually say “to hell with this place” if the crowds never pick up.

It will likely take multiple solid years of wins and bowl wins before IU has anything around 45K+ fans in the stands. By that time, Coach Cig will tire of our lack of fan support and move on to something else. As the team came on to the field last night, you could see him look first into the East Stands and then the West stands. He made no comment about it but it was in his mind. He’ll eventually say “to hell with this place” if the crowds never pick up.
You got more crap than can be put in a washtub without a bottom. Winning draws fans because the fans Always want to follow winners.

Reactions: red hornet
He knew the job was dangerous when he took it. He ain't leaving till the mission is accomplished.

The school record for points and yardage should have an asterisk next to it after Friday.

Reactions: Euro
You got more crap than can be put in a washtub without a bottom. Winning draws fans because the fans Always want to follow winners.
Yea. It’s not like our attendance and history were a secret. Not going to fix it in two games vs FIU and Western Illinois.

It’s all good. I like to ruffle feathers from time to time.

I do wonder today, though, if a portion of the IU fan base is in mourning because the Irish lost at home?

Reversible jacket roll call!

tumblr_pczlsxMcJF1qj6sk2o1_400.gifv

tumblr_pczlsxMcJF1qj6sk2o2_400.gif

tumblr_pczlsxMcJF1qj6sk2o4_400.gifv

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ESalum86
Then, where would your bar be set?
76 explained his reasoning, what is yours?

I think it was just a schedule filler resulting in an easy win, which is fine.

But "brilliant"?

What's that make Isaac Newton? Isn't he "brilliant" as well?

One created calculus. The other scheduled W ILL.

• Haha
Reactions: red hornet
I think it was just a schedule filler resulting in an easy win, which is fine.

But "brilliant"?

What's that make Isaac Newton? Isn't he "brilliant" as well?

One created calculus. The other scheduled W ILL.

I'd explain the complicated algorithm created solely by Scott Dolson specifically designed to reach these types of scheduling conclusions but it's Proprietary...

Let's just say that involves something similar to the computation of initial loss inverse to future realized gains and leave it at that...

Dolsons utilization of Big Red 200 (the on campus HPE Cray EX Supercomputer) while double blinding the initial results thru Quartz has reached legendary status with those in "the know"... The words "brilliant" and "genius" are frequently heard...

😉😎

It’s all good. I like to ruffle feathers from time to time.

I do wonder today, though, if a portion of the IU fan base is in mourning because the Irish lost at home?

Reversible jacket roll call!

tumblr_pczlsxMcJF1qj6sk2o1_400.gifv

tumblr_pczlsxMcJF1qj6sk2o2_400.gif

tumblr_pczlsxMcJF1qj6sk2o4_400.gifv
There are A LOT of IU basketball fans that are mourning the ND football loss...its been that way for decades. I like Freeman overall, so that dulls my disdain for ND down to general apathy. I pray that Cignetti turns IU around in to a sustainably solid program, and our visit to South Bend in a few years corresponds with ND being down a little bit. IU beating ND in South Bend would rival IU winning a B10 or even a Natty, for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT